• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Pre-Release Metroid Prime 4: Pre-Release Discussion Thread

Question for you all: If it does end up being crossgen and you're unable to get a Switch 2 due to supply issues, would you just play it on Switch or would you wait as long as it takes to play the best version?
Given I played Botw on WiiU and the Switch version of that game wasn't the better version either, I'll probably just play it on Switch anyway.

Question for you all: If it does end up being crossgen and you're unable to get a Switch 2 due to supply issues, would you just play it on Switch or would you wait as long as it takes to play the best version?
Trick question it'll be the best version however you play it

I’m just like imagining we could be a month away from seeing this game…ugh please Nintendo show me
I could see a marketing cycle similar to FE Engage - announced in September (well, fully revealed in September for Prime 4) with a January release. Just in time to get those sweet sweet launch sales for the fiscal year.

I could see a marketing cycle similar to FE Engage - announced in September (well, fully revealed in September for Prime 4) with a January release. Just in time to get those sweet sweet launch sales for the fiscal year.
I definitely can’t see that at all. Game is set to return a franchise Nintendo wants to grow. God knows how much money they’ve poured into it and they’ve already built a lead up with releasing Metroid Prime and presumably Metroid Prime 2 is coming. If it’s shown in September, it’ll be shown in at least another direct before release.

I definitely can’t see that at all. Game is set to return a franchise Nintendo wants to grow. God knows how much money they’ve poured into it and they’ve already built a lead up with releasing Metroid Prime and presumably Metroid Prime 2 is coming. If it’s shown in September, it’ll be shown in at least another direct before release.
They can still debut another trailer at something like the Game Awards and get a lot of attention. I'm not convinced more marketing is gonna make Prime 4 sell exponentially more than say, Metroid Dread. But sure, it's possible it comes out later in the year. Maybe they will have another remaster in the January spot.

Yeah I wonder how long the marketing cycle will be for this.

Dread didn’t get a long time, but it got a ton of marketing in the short time it did get.

I feel like if it was gonna be Zelda-like long marketing cycle, we would’ve seen a couple teasers of the game by now, and certainly in the June direct.

Maybe they really are going for the short-term blowout.

6 months is what i think the marketing time will be from announcement to release. I think it depends on when the game might release tho.

If its releasing at the end of the year then february it is, if it's releasing around march to july then i can see a september announcement.

Not gonna lie: I'm not particularly looking forward to the game's presence in next month's Direct being leaked like... three days in advance. For the love of god, let us be surprised by this one, at least.

Not gonna lie: I'm not particularly looking forward to the game's presence in next month's Direct being leaked like... three days in advance. For the love of god, let us be surprised by this one, at least.
part of me actually wants to see the leak happen because i know this forum would implode but on the other side... yeah.

Hoenstly I could go either way. I’d love to be surprised and it’d be kind of annoying if a bunch of details about the game itself leaked, but if it’s presence was leaked I wouldn’t be anxiously watching the whole direct with bated breath waiting for it to show up and would probably enjoy the direct more lol

I guess it depends on how well the Switch version looks and performs, but I'd almost certainly be determined to get a Switch 2 for it, I reckon. I bought a PS5 sooner than I had to just so I wouldn't have to touch the PS4 version of Resident Evil Village, lol. That game ended up being kinda mid for me in the end, sadly.
Hoenstly I could go either way. I’d love to be surprised and it’d be kind of annoying if a bunch of details about the game itself leaked, but if it’s presence was leaked I wouldn’t be anxiously watching the whole direct with bated breath waiting for it to show up and would probably enjoy the direct more lol
The anxiety is just part of the cycle for me! Lmao. This previous Direct, we learned of Super Mario RPG remake and Super Mario Bros. Wonder shortly in advance, and I thought that was a bit naff.

...But I also recognize it'd be nice getting that confirmation. No more "Will it finally show up?", just pure hype and anticipation.

Reminder that Breath of the Wild had a blowout of gameplay info at E3 2016 before we had an official Switch reveal, so there's nothing preventing them from showing Metroid Prime 4 next month even if it is crossgen.
It depends on how they want to market it. Do they show the graphically-weaker version (Switch) early, or do they wait and blow everyone away with the visuals after the Switch 2 is revealed? Or do they go with an animated teaser instead?

I think the marketing cycle will mimic Dread's. I think 6 months max. I'm still holding out hope that the game could be announced in September and release in February, one year after Prime R and 10 years after Tropical Freeze.

I guess it depends on how well the Switch version looks and performs, but I'd almost certainly be determined to get a Switch 2 for it, I reckon. I bought a PS5 sooner than I had to just so I wouldn't have to touch the PS4 version of Resident Evil Village, lol. That game ended up being kinda mid for me in the end, sadly.
F, but A+ for the based opinion. Very middling entry.

The anxiety is just part of the cycle for me! Lmao. This previous Direct, we learned of Super Mario RPG remake and Super Mario Bros. Wonder shortly in advance, and I thought that was a bit naff.
Wdym? That it was unnecessary to get that confirmation early?

...But I also recognize it'd be nice getting that confirmation. No more "Will it finally show up?", just pure hype and anticipation.
Yeah as much as we like to think it'll be nice to have confirmation of things, every time a direct has leaked it does end up taking the wind out of it. I'd much rather "Holy shit! There it is!" than "yup, there it is."

I desperately want to see an awesome new suit for Samus in the reveal. That's my main wish. I know it's pretty much certain the game will have new suits, but I wanna get to see one of them right off the bat. 🤩
I think the marketing cycle will mimic Dread's. I think 6 months max. I'm still holding out hope that the game could be announced in September and release in February, one year after Prime R and 10 years after Tropical Freeze.
Where does that leave possible remasters of Echoes and Corruption? You think there's a chance we might get those shadowdropped next month?
F, but A+ for the based opinion. Very middling entry.
It felt like a sampler dish, was my main grievance. It didn't really commit enough in the direction of action, or horror. It did a bunch of things well enough, and had good variety to it, but wasn't particularly focused on ensuring any one aspect was a standout. I was especially bummed with the fact that the Beneviento and Moreau segments just aren't very fun on repeat playthroughs. Too linear and scripted.
Wdym? That it was unnecessary to get that confirmation early?
Exactly what based Boz just said. I do totally get that when you boil things down, Directs are simply product marketing, but viewed less cynically, it's just nice to be taken completely by surprise every once in awhile. These days, leaks in advance have become a normalized aspect of the lead up to any showcase, which you've gotta imagine takes the wind out of things for the devs and marketing teams as well.

It's going to be so surreal when we finally do see this game. I actually don't know how I'll feel because anticipating seeing this game has been part of my life for over half a decade now.

Where does that leave possible remasters of Echoes and Corruption? You think there's a chance we might get those shadowdropped next month?
i think only echoes was talked about so i imagine echoes will get shadowdropped in september and corruption in the next direct

Mp4 is left to be shown only in the new console presentation (bright side: we get a full trailer and a release date, not just a teaser)

It's not my intent to sound confrontational. I'll just try to explain my point. So, for simplicity, please consider the following with a big "imho".

It seems to me that your post implies people who have bought a Switch only play games on Switch.
If you rather imply that players are not locked-in a single platform than yes, a comparison with games that are not avaliable on Switch is absolutely relevant.
Since Metroid Prime is a series targeted to experienced players I think latter option is far more realistic.
The fact there are many thematically similar games (sci-fi shooter / space exploration), but very few of them are avaliable on Switch (and out of those few none has ever been a brakthorugh success), suggests there is a relevant share of people who likes this kind of games but they are accustomed to play them on different / competing platforms. By ignoring these people you're implicitly cutting out a substantial part of your potential growth market.

Why do I say that the "visual" component is particularly relevant for Metroid?
Because, if you consider my assumption above, that share of potential players has been accustomed to play thematically comparable games on PS4 / XBO / PC for almost a decade. If you want to grab their attention you can't release a game that defies their expectations in a negative way. It doesn't have to look better than other games, but it should be "on the same league" as much as possible of what is avaliable today, otherwise you're starting at a disadvantage.

Why do I think making it a Switch 2 exclusive game would be best for the series?
Because, MP needs to grow to be sustainable, so it needs to attract new players (see my previous point). It has to be innovative and distinctive, a simple reiteration of the old formula won't make it imo.
As a Switch title, you're giving developers the very hard task of working within current hardware limitations, while making a game that looks good enough (still for the players I've mentioned above), and introducing new design elements to renovate the formula. New hardware would give developers leeway to make those changes. Making it cross-gen would inevitably force developers to make compromises from the design standpoint.
Metroid Prime 4 is made with the Switch hardware in mind, it would be stupid,if after 5/6 years, Nintendo force you to buy it next hardware to buy the game, Metroid is not a system seller franchise, it need all it help it can do, Metroid Prime Remastered was done on Retro Studios own engine(same will happen for MP4)

I'd play it on the Switch regardless. I doubt I'd be able to afford a new console anytime soon, and I'm not patient enough to wait.

I usually wait a few months before grabbing a new console anyway (three game rule), so I'd be grabbing it on Switch regardless. I'm one of those people who has BOTW on Wii U, DLC and all. If there's no easy upgrade path to a Switch 2 version when I finally nab that console... well, I double-dipped physical and digital on Dread, so why not give Prime 4 the same courtesy?

It's hard to say. Since the age old rumors about Prime R ended up being true, I wonder if those same rumors could hold true for 2 and 3, that Prime R would be used as a basis for the quality they would strive for 2 and 3, but having them outsourced almost entirely instead of Retro as the main developer. If that's the case, I think we might have a bit longer to wait on those to get them near the quality of Prime R, especially is Retro is minimally involved. Though if Prime R was finished two years ago now, Echoes might be fairly far along, especially if development began sometime during Prime R's and not afterward.

But I also think despite what people say, Nintendo doesn't really care about getting people "caught up" with the trilogy before Prime 4. In that case, it would make much more sense to use fully remastered versions of Echoes and Corruption as stopgaps between new main entries in the Metroid series, to keep it relevant for the foreseeable furutre. But it seems that more current rumors (ie Grubb) seem to suggest that 2 (and probably 3) aren't getting the lavish treatment that 1 got. In that case, I REALLY hope they drop 2 and 3 together. It'd be more convenient, I believe it would sell better, and it would mean 4 is even closer to release.

Grub mentioned Prime 2 coming "soonish." To me that could mean as late as near the end of this year. The kind of worst case scenario in my mind would be the more simple HD ports... If Echoes came late this year, with Corruption following maybe late Summer next year. I absolutely don't think they would release 3D Mario (which is 99% a lock to launch with Switch 2) and Prime 4 at the same time, which would leave Prime 4 sometime in the mid to latter part of the launch window, sometime in Q1-Q2 2025.

The optimistic part of me still believes Prime 4 is early to mid next year. I don't buy that it won't do well not launching in Switch 2, so long as they don't talk about Switch 2 before it releases. Zelda just sold almost 20m in two months, Pikmin 4 is on it's way to be the best selling Pikmin game, Mario is poised to sell like crazy this holiday, and old ass games like Mario Party are still selling like crazy nearly 7 years into the Switch's life. Prime 4 would do GREAT on Switch if it looks awesome and is marketed well. And then when they're ready to talk Switch 2 they can hype it up all over again and even get suckers like me to double dip on it if they go that route.

It's so hard to predict though. We're getting spoiled right now. Even my "worst case scenario" would have been something beyond Metroid fan's wildest dreams in the 2010's. I'll trust the process as long as it takes!

In this inflation, and with my financial situation, I'm sure as hell I won't be able to buy a Switch 2 not even near launch.
I'll definitely get Prime 4 for Switch. And as soon as I can. Maybe as soon as I get the announcement/date I start saving for it.
Then, when I buy a Switch 2 in the future, I play the game again.
I'm pretty sure MP4 is gonna be like GoW Ragnarok: made with the Switch in mind but gets everything made so perfectly that the Switch 2 version even tho being just a higher res makes it one of the best looking games in the system.
To be honest I think it would be the better case scenario if the game was gonna come as a Switch exclusive first and just receive a patch later when Switch 2 releases - January will be a slower month BUT it'll just be after a hell lot of people bought switches to play Super Mario Bros Wonder or as Christmas gifts. Being the next big thing can make it sell super well, mainly due to being front loaded and the active base being gigantic after Mario and holiday season.
But if the game comes out in May, can it hurt its sales? I don't know... I think Donkey Kong will come after that regardless (like May/June if Metroid is March/February or June/July if Metroid is May), and games such as Princess Peach Will Star as Main Character in A Brand New Game in 2024 don't scream cross gen to me, and it sure as hell got a lot of effort.
Nintendo definitely will have a lot of stuff coming before the Succ comes. It's not like they'll go all big this holiday then go radio silent until holiday next year for the Succ.
Well, TLOU II came out as PS4 exclusive just less than 5 months before PS5 came out and it did super well. So let's hope everything aligns for MP4.
Yeah, I agree with the sentiment. Even tho if someone like Pyoro leaked the game would be present would leave me more tranquil that it would finally be time, being fully surprised by it for never seeing it coming would be ideal. I mean MPR was leaked by Papa Geno's but no one believed the guy so when it got shadowdropped everyone was surprised AF.
Imagine if something like Super Mario RPG hadn't leaked... Damn, that would be so big of a surprise that the whole fandom would explode lol.

The optimistic part of me still believes Prime 4 is early to mid next year. I don't buy that it won't do well not launching in Switch 2, so long as they don't talk about Switch 2 before it releases. Zelda just sold almost 20m in two months, Pikmin 4 is on it's way to be the best selling Pikmin game, Mario is poised to sell like crazy this holiday, and old ass games like Mario Party are still selling like crazy nearly 7 years into the Switch's life. Prime 4 would do GREAT on Switch if it looks awesome and is marketed well. And then when they're ready to talk Switch 2 they can hype it up all over again and even get suckers like me to double dip on it if they go that route.

You (and marce) are making the same big mistake here. You are comparing huge franchises with Metroid. Yes of course zelda was going to sell no matter what, of course TLOU2 was going to sell no matter what.

Releasing as a crossgen title is like, the best outcome for mp4 and theres really no reason they shouldn't do that.

But I also think despite what people say, Nintendo doesn't really care about getting people "caught up" with the trilogy before Prime 4.
If people say this, they are utterly deluded. Shadowdrop + no marketing + MP4 isnt here to hype possible newcomers. It absolutely screams "lmaooo this was just for the fans ayy".

You (and marce) are making the same big mistake here. You are comparing huge franchises with Metroid. Yes of course zelda was going to sell no matter what, of course TLOU2 was going to sell no matter what.

Releasing as a crossgen title is like, the best outcome for mp4 and theres really no reason they shouldn't do that.

If people say this, they are utterly deluded. Shadowdrop + no marketing + MP4
I mean, I'm sure the best possible outcome would be for it to be the cross gen launch title of Switch 2. Would be the dream really.
But I'm kinda scared of, say, Switch 2 coming in like October with 3D Mario, Metroid Prime 4 releasing in early November and Pokémon in late November... I'm afraid the game would be just ignored if it came out in between two blockbuster titles.

Like... I don't know if ARMS got to its full potential. It releasing between Zelda+MK8DX and Splatoon 2 kinda made the focus of the mainstream not reach it in the highest.

And again Metroid is super front loaded, so maybe an announcement this September for early next year can make it become a hit like Pikmin 4 being the next big thing after TotK made it get record breaking and impressive sales all over(mainly in Japan). Being the next big release after the holiday season can make it go bigger.

But hey, maybe it being revealed this September and releasing next October like Bayo 3 did, being a great cross gen title(maybe Succ come in September with Metroid, Mario come in October and Pokémon in November?) can make it reach its full potential.

I read that last part so wrong and was about to write a reply about how it's not delusional to think these releases aren't about getting in a plethora of newcomers, lol.

I mean, I'm sure the best possible outcome would be for it to be the cross gen launch title of Switch 2. Would be the dream really.
But I'm kinda scared of, say, Switch 2 coming in like October with 3D Mario, Metroid Prime 4 releasing in early November and Pokémon in late November... I'm afraid the game would be just ignored if it came out in between two blockbuster titles.

Like... I don't know if ARMS got to its full potential. It releasing between Zelda+MK8DX and Splatoon 2 kinda made the focus of the mainstream not reach it in the highest.

And again Metroid is super front loaded, so maybe an announcement this September for early next year can make it become a hit like Pikmin 4 being the next big thing after TotK made it get record breaking and impressive sales all over(mainly in Japan). Being the next big release after the holiday season can make it go bigger.

But hey, maybe it being revealed this September and releasing next October like Bayo 3 did, being a great cross gen title(maybe Succ come in September with Metroid, Mario come in October and Pokémon in November?) can make it reach its full potential.
That would only happen if mario was going to be the only crossgen game of the console, which i simply cannot believe will happen. I def think there will be a period of at least two years where the two consoles will be sharing titles and yeah MP4 will be included in that list.

So, basically, the two ways we see things going down is:

Option 1: Metroid Prime 4 is a Spring 2024 release, coming out ahead of a big Switch 2 blowout. Game might receive performance/graphics update upon the Switch 2's release, but is initially marketed as a Switch title.

Option 2: Metroid Prime 4 is a Fall 2023/Winter 2024 launch window release. A version still releases for the original Switch, but it is highly de-emphasized in favor of the enhanced Switch 2 version.

Yeah, I'm a bit torn. Kinda leaning towards Option 1, though. Depending on how much work goes into having a spruced up version for the Switch 2, the blowout for the next console could highlight patches for previous games and the technical capabilities of the system by showing off footage of a graphically enhanced version of Metroid Prime 4 during the event. Could give the title a second wind in marketing and sales if it's also the poster child for enhanced Switch games when the console launches.

If it was the same cart somehow where playing on Switch 2 gave a meaningful deal of benefits I’d play it in on Switch 1 in that scenario and then replay it on Switch 2 someday. If they were separate carts, I’d only buy the Switch 2 cart and it would be an extremely painful wait.

So, basically, the two ways we see things going down is:

Option 1: Metroid Prime 4 is a Spring 2024 release, coming out ahead of a big Switch 2 blowout. Game might receive performance/graphics update upon the Switch 2's release, but is initially marketed as a Switch title.

Option 2: Metroid Prime 4 is a Fall 2023/Winter 2024 launch window release. A version still releases for the original Switch, but it is highly de-emphasized in favor of the enhanced Switch 2 version.

Yeah, I'm a bit torn. Kinda leaning towards Option 1, though. Depending on how much work goes into having a spruced up version for the Switch 2, the blowout for the next console could highlight patches for previous games and the technical capabilities of the system by showing off footage of a graphically enhanced version of Metroid Prime 4 during the event. Could give the title a second wind in marketing and sales if it's also the poster child for enhanced Switch games when the console launches.
I think Prime 4 is crossgen if it doesn't get shown in the Fall Direct. I don't see a super compelling reason for it to be crossgen from a business standpoint though. The Switch has a huge active userbase and fans have waited for this game for over half a decade at this point. You're not gonna get tons of new people hopping onto the series with a Switch 2 launch. This is a game that is mostly going to sell to Metroid fans and curious onlookers.

I think Prime 4 is crossgen if it doesn't get shown in the Fall Direct. I don't see a super compelling reason for it to be crossgen from a business standpoint though. The Switch has a huge active userbase and fans have waited for this game for over half a decade at this point. You're not gonna get tons of new people hopping onto the series with a Switch 2 launch. This is a game that is mostly going to sell to Metroid fans and curious onlookers.
Its VERY debatable that nintendo is selling this to fans only. There were multiple games designed to be attractive (or more attractive to newcomers). Metroid Prime itself, releasing in the boom of console FPS games, Prime 3, featuring many Halo inspirations, Other M, featuring its cinematic side, Dread, featuring the huge focus on action. Considering this it would be easy to say that Prime 4 will be a game strongly advertised to newcomers (you'd think so, considering the money they invested on it)

Anyway, you didnt answer why not do a crossgen launch. The first year of the new console will be filled with hardcore buyers as casuals dont buy a console in its first year, depending on how performant it is on the new console it could certainly be used as a poster child for it.

If you had said "switch 2 exclusive" through i would have agreed with you.

Anyway, you didnt answer why not do a crossgen launch.
Because Nintendo still wants games to release in the first half of 2024. Having Prime 4 as a flagship game that is guaranteed to sell at least 3-4 million copies will ensure a stronger financial quarter than having nothing there. Same reason they're also doing the Peach game.

Because Nintendo still wants games to release in the first half of 2024. Having Prime 4 as a flagship game that is guaranteed to sell at least 3-4 million copies will ensure a stronger financial quarter than having nothing there. Same reason they're also doing the Peach game.

Not only this, but when they eventually rerelease it as an enhanced version on Switch 2, it'd sell a crapton more.

Nintendo not giving it their all for ARMS doesn't track with reality. Not only did the game get a ton of marketing, but it got almost a full 2 months from Mario Kart 8 Deluxe's release and more than a month before Splatoon 2's release, and it was the only original game that launched between Breath of the Wild and Splatoon 2, which was pretty meaningful positioning given the early adopters are usually core fans, I.E. people who would be more likely to have bought a Wii U and wanted something new to play (it's the only reason I bought Arms). It got the pre-release Splatoon-style rollout red carpet treatment, on top of a Smash appearance, on top of a free trial.

My point is that the reason Arms didn't sell more is that more people didn't want to play Arms. You can find examples of smaller games 'sandwiched' in between bigger releases throughout the Switch's life. Fire Emblem Three Houses was 'sandwiched' in between Mario Maker 2 and Link's Awakening / Luigi's Mansion 3. It still sold a shit ton. Metroid has been getting better marketing than it has in a long time and unless Nintendo somehow screws that up really badly with Prime 4, there's no reason that Metroid Prime 4's sales shouldn't succeed or fail or be middling on its own merits. At some point, games need to put up or shut up.

Nintendo won’t put Metroid Prime 4 in a bad spot. They’re gonna put it in the place it needs to be to excel its sales. If it were release when the Switch 2 comes out it’ll have distance after 3D Mario and Pokémon.

Being in the fall direct won't have an impact on that or not. They have shown wii u games before despite them being cross-gen to good effect (it also helps that it was Zelda)

Not only this, but when they eventually rerelease it as an enhanced version on Switch 2, it'd sell a crapton more.
That's debatable. We don't even know how nintendo are going to handle things like patching and/or reselling games

Being in the fall direct won't have an impact on that or not. They have shown wii u games before despite them being cross-gen to good effect (it also helps that it was Zelda)
I don't think it has anything to do with what I'm saying. I'm saying if it's coming out in H1 2024, it will probably show up in the Fall Direct. If it's not H1, they're gonna save it for crossgen.

This is a game that is mostly going to sell to Metroid fans and curious onlookers.
If thier goal is to sell mostly to established fans and, by chance, to some courious onlookers, it is fair enough (I would be satisfied as a fan) but then I don't see bright future for the series going forward.

You can't keep a team of about 100 people on a 5 year dev cycle for a game that caps out at 3-4 mil units if you're lucky. Retro Studios is very likely not an "affordable" studio to maintain either. Just the fact they're based in Texas would suggest running cost are substantially higher on a per-person basis than thier counterparts in Japan. Add to that, they have many high profile veteran devs in thier ranks.
That's not even considering the opportunity-cost of not having them working on more popular IPs.

If they want the series to go forward, attracting new players should be the priority.

If thier goal is to sell mostly to established fans and, by chance, to some courious onlookers, it is fair enough (I would be satisfied as a fan) but then I don't see bright future for the series going forward.

You can't keep a team of about 100 people on a 5 year dev cycle for a game that caps out at 3-4 mil units if you're lucky. Retro Studios is very likely not an "affordable" studio to maintain either. Just the fact they're based in Texas would suggest running cost are substantially higher on a per-person basis than thier counterparts in Japan. Add to that, they have many high profile veteran devs in thier ranks.
That's not even considering the opportunity-cost of not having them working on more popular IPs.

If they want the series to go forward, attracting new players should be the priority.

(1) We know that they've not been solely working on prime 4 the last 5 years given the prime 1 remaster.

(2) All your argument is saying in earnest, if it were correct, is that they should close down retro studios because they'll never be able to make a profitable game. The vast majority of games Nintendo, and the entire industry for that matter, cannot reliably make games that sell >5m. There's only a handful of games on switch that aren't mario/Pokémon/Zelda branded that did that, and that's not going to change.

(1) We know that they've not been solely working on prime 4 the last 5 years given the prime 1 remaster.

(2) All your argument is saying in earnest, if it were correct, is that they should close down retro studios because they'll never be able to make a profitable game. The vast majority of games Nintendo, and the entire industry for that matter, cannot reliably make games that sell >5m. There's only a handful of games on switch that aren't mario/Pokémon/Zelda branded that did that, and that's not going to change.
(1) They have been dedicated to the Metroid Prime, not to a different series.

(2) I've never said Retro is incapable of making a profitable game, I don't know where you got that... What I've said is, based on what is publicly known, to me it looks like MP4 is going to be a game with high production values.
And yes, today games with high production values typically aim for more than 4-5mil LTD sales. It's not a coincidence 3rd party exclusives basically don't exist anymore and even Sony has started to tap into the PC market to extend the reach of their games.

Last edited:
Attacking other user’s posts with words like 'idiotic' are not acceptable. For this and prior, similar behavior, you are being given a 3 day ban. -xghost777, Josh5890, Barely Able
(1) They have been dedicated to the Metroid Prime, not to an different series.

(2) I've never said Retro is incapable of making a profitable game, I don't know where you got that... What I've said is, based on what is publicly known, to me it looks like MP4 is going to be a production with high production values.
And yes, today games with high production values typically aim for more than 4-5mil LTD sales. It's not a coincidence 3rd party exclusives basically don't exist anymore and even Sony has started to tap into the PC market to extend the reach of their games.

There is zero chance in any reality they greenlit Metroid prime 4 with the intention that it would sell significantly more than 4-5m for a series that has only just barely got over 3m.

That would just be straight up idiotic, and whichever beancounter was in charge of those decisions would have to have serious questions asked about their employment, since they've got little to no clue about what they're doing.

Back
Top Bottom