• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

News Metroid Prime 4: Beyond new trailer, coming to Nintendo Switch in 2025

Ohoh... I haven't even checked the Metroid subreddit. I'm guessing there were a lot of bodies down for the count lmao. Hunting reactions later is gonna be fun

Completely different combat system, new factions, new music, new settings, new mechanics... It's been 17 years and the three games themselves played it pretty safe in similarity to each other.

If we go by the previous Prime or Metroid games in general this is just the opening which always has pretty basic mechanics. So we might still see all the things you listed.

I need these 1h long analysis video asap. I know some people don't care about the lore of the Metroid game, but I personally eat all this shit up

Anyone expecting a completely different combat system were setting themselves up for disappointment from day one. It may very well have notably brand new combat mechanics, but the baseline nature of Metroid Prime wasn't going to drastically change.

My thought was that the games sold so badly in large part because the combat was so uninteresting even for the time and so much innovation has happened in the last 17 years that they would have had to make massive combat changes to be more like Doom 2016 or Titanfall 2. Metroid Dread's combat system being so wildly different from Fusion and Zero Mission also suggested a huge change to me.

Instead, it's pretty much the same stuff of circle-strafing with minimal enemy reaction and no environmental interaction.

They didn't have to rip off Titanfall 2 either, something completely new like the new Zelda game would have been awesome and even better but instead it... looks basically the same and incredibly basic.

Also I see people ruling it out, but I still think there’s room for MP2 shadow drop as we get closer.

Federation Force intro says it takes places in 20X6 and this says 20X9, so that’s a pretty big gap between the two. Really stretching out that Metroid 1 -> 2 timeframe if it’s still in between.

giphy.gif

Yeah I'm actually kind of baffled by the disappointed "oh, it just looks like Metroid Prime Remastered..." reactions from this thread considering how Metroid Prime Remastered's graphics have been unanimously praised as a technical marvel. What did people expect exactly?
i expected it to look worse than prime, prime 1 has small rooms and few enemies, with almost no environment interaction, they maintained the level of detail on a game with much bigger environments, this is like if they released an open world luigi mansion 4 with the same graphics

just my opinion but those screen shots do the visual more justice then the footage
Definitely looks a lot better than in the footage, yeah. The third screenshot in particular looks very good.

I'd have to go back and check if it's better than Prime Remastered, but it's at least as good which is a huge win given the size of these rooms and how much more is going on in these shots VS anything in Prime Remastered.

Anyone expecting a completely different combat system were setting themselves up for disappointment from day one. It may very well have notably brand new combat mechanics, but the baseline nature of Metroid Prime wasn't going to drastically change.

It'll be interesting to see if the Speed Booster, Shinespark, and Screw Attack are there, which the latter probably, but the first two would be cool, especially in a fully 3D environment.

Federation Force intro says it takes places in 20X6 and this says 20X9, so that’s a pretty big gap between the two. Really stretching out that Metroid 1 -> 2 timeframe if it’s still in between.
I mention it obnoxiously at every opportunity but I don’t even believe (this is my headcanon at least) that these are in the same universe. I think 2D starts with Zero Mission and Prime starts with Metroid 1. They’ve never bothered to link up to tell even one plot point so I don’t think there’s anything wrong with that. It soothes my hyperfixation since there’s way, way less mental gymnastics about timeline.

What if it take place in the gap between Super and Fusion now

Just watched the direct I can't believe it finally happened. Looks incredible although the 2025 date stings a bit. The logo is also so so good

I don't know why I wasn't expecting them to actually go through with the Sylux stuff, but darn it they actually did it and I love it! I need Prime 2 & 3 remasters now to replay everything before Prime 4. I hope they bring them over to Switch soon.

Eh, include me in the list of people who are just 'whelmed'.

I'm glad the diehard Metroid fans are excited - and the Direct was pretty good overall - but as a much more casual Metroid enjoyer, this teaser didn't do anything for me. I was neither excited nor disappointed by the time it finished. I guess I was hoping that the teaser would tease things that are new and exciting about MP4, not... things that look just like the last 3 Prime games. I mean, I already expected those things would be here, that's not exciting.

But whatever. I'm not a Metroid fanboy, so it's fine. I'll just wait till we get an actual trailer before deciding if I'll pick the game up or not.

The Metroids with Sylux only have one nuclei, implying they are the Mochtroids as seen in Super Metroid

I mention it obnoxiously at every opportunity but I don’t even believe (this is my headcanon at least) that these are in the same universe. I think 2D starts with Zero Mission and Prime starts with Metroid 1. They’ve never bothered to link up to tell even one plot point so I don’t think there’s anything wrong with that. It soothes my hyperfixation since there’s way, way less mental gymnastics about timeline.
Didn't this silly theory die when they put Meta Ridley in Samus Returns? All this timeline/universe pedantry in fandom is so bad. We're lucky that Nintendo has mostly spared us from it, with the exception of a misstep in the Zelda franchise, which they corrected in BotW by just saying "yeah it's got elements from what we said were different timelines before; who cares."

Now the real question is….

Will this get a Switch 2 version

You know its going to happen
I'll take the Switch 2 CE, the MP4 themed Joy Cons Pro, the MP4 themed Pro+ Controller, MP4 themed Switch 2 case, and a pack of pre-order pins... thank you very much.

4277923b.jpg

If you ask me, this is almost unbelievable for being OG Switch. If this isn't cross-gen, we can safely say it's Switch's Red Dead 2/Last of Us Part II moment in terms of "uh, this is current-gen?"-factor.
'Bout time to whip this out again for anyone confused

8g4fjx.jpg

I'm so glad it looks like it plays mostly the same as the previous games... I was so shook they'd implement something crazy. If it's not broken don't fix it.

My thought was that the games sold so badly in large part because the combat was so uninteresting even for the time and so much innovation has happened in the last 17 years that they would have had to make massive combat changes to be more like Doom 2016 or Titanfall 2. Metroid Dread's combat system being so wildly different from Fusion and Zero Mission also suggested a huge change to me.

Instead, it's pretty much the same stuff of circle-strafing with minimal enemy reaction and no environmental interaction.

They didn't have to rip off Titanfall 2 either, something completely new like the new Zelda game would have been awesome and even better but instead it... looks basically the same and incredibly basic.
What do you mean with yout first sentence? Aside from that, I'd suggest you to wait. Dread is indeed different from the GBA entries but, besides the graphics, I assure you that many average Joes would claim that the three games all look to play fundamentally the same. A similar situation could also present itself here.

I agree more with your initial argument that the setting looks uninspired. Yet another baddie seems to be manufacturing Metroids and the Space Pirates return, but who knows? Maybe Metroids are a secondary component this time around, even moreso than they were in Prime 2 and 3, and perhaps the SP will appear only sporadically; I can definitely ascertain that designers should've perceived the same issues you're detecting right now.

Definitely too early to be talking about what the combat is or isn't. For all we know Samus has fully embraced the year of our lord 2025 and busts out an energy sword from her arm cannon later in the game, lol

Don't get the combat comments, didn't Metroid prime fans always say that the games weren't about combat and they got dissapointed on how much combat there was on Prime 3 and especially Hunters?

I mean, there's going to still be tons of combat in this game and all they showed was combat (with the game seemingly starting with an action sequence...)

Didn't this silly theory die when they put Meta Ridley in Samus Returns? All this timeline/universe pedantry in fandom is so bad. We're lucky that Nintendo has mostly spared us from it, with the exception of a misstep in the Zelda franchise, which they corrected in BotW by just saying "yeah it's got elements from what we said were different timelines before; who cares."
Never got this Proteus Ridley thing. I just took it as 2Ds take on his recovery from Zebes. Even has his own name. I don’t subscribe to things like Mario lore so I agree there but Metroid definitely has story so I don’t think it’s that’s weird to talk about it

Obviously this is a large leap in fidelity (as the Switch is much more powerful than the Wii and programming has gotten much better in the last 17 years), but I do think the art is much better in those two Prime 3 screenshots. The art in this Prime 4 trailer was pretty awful and about as generic as possible.

The art in Prime 3 was wildly inconsistent though, ranging from great to just incredibly generic and boring and the same could be the case for Prime 4.

I guess, what is so generic about it based on this trailer? Are there other examples where this particular art style looks identical to other Sci-Fi games?

When I first played Prime 1 on Gamecube, I didn't think the Frigate was particular groundbreaking or anything (reminded me of something we could've seen in Half-Life quite honestly), but we also knew it wasn't the only area in the game, and it only got more grandiose as the game progressed. Just looking at the screenshot I've quoted below looks anything but generic. But maybe we have different takes on what "generic" means.

4277923b.jpg

If you ask me, this is almost unbelievable for being OG Switch. If this isn't cross-gen, we can safely say it's Switch's Red Dead 2/Last of Us Part II moment in terms of "uh, this is current-gen?"-factor.

Just that screenshot alone is unbelievable

Don't get the combat comments, didn't Metroid prime fans always say that the games weren't about combat and they got dissapointed on how much combat there was on Prime 3 and especially Hunters?
People want it to be better. It definitely could be. Dread, Fusion and Zero Mission have very satisfying blasting. I'd like the movement to be snappier too.

people are really underselling the amount of hard work and sheer talent it takes to make Sylux seem in any way imposing and/or threatening

I understand now why it's taken almost a decade to make this game

It might look similar to MP1R but there is much more going on around Samus this time. Ships firing in the sky, pirates moving around in the background,... MP1R is a pretty static game in comparison. And this run on Switch at 60fps! The only way to find this dissapointing on a technical level is to have misplaced expectations imo.

I made a few webm to illustrate that:

Back
Top Bottom