• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

News Metroid Prime 4: Beyond new trailer, coming to Nintendo Switch in 2025

It looks like the game will have the same ship mechanics as MP3 or perhaps new ones, as the gunship takes off after Samus lands.

I've seen bad takes (oh hi P4blo) but this one takes the cake.
Could you just stop ?

I just can't believe it. What is wrong with you guys ?
It's been 17 fucking years (SEVENTEEN) since Prime 3. I've been waiting 17 FUCKING YEARS, and I just when I was enjoying life, and then, this.

The game runs at 60 FPS and we've seen 15 seconds of gameplay and you're already going "It'S OnLY aPpEAl is GraPHiCS"

Please, stop this bullshit, this is so fucking annoying.

Flashbacks to pre TotK release threads where some people thought the game offered nothing new because Nintendo hadn’t shown it.

Flashbacks to pre TotK release threads where some people thought the game offered nothing new because Nintendo hadn’t shown it.
People are doing that now with Echoes of Wisdom.

This surely is a cross gen title and although I would have liked to see it built from the ground up for beefier hardware (which would have led to even more waiting time, haha) I'm confident Retro will fire on all cylinders for Switch and Switch 2!

I'm glad Nintendo sticked to their plan to still release it on Switch after all these years instead of moving it to its successor. I trusted them with the announcement and to me, it showed how convinced they were with the Switch concept back then.

I'm really looking forward to the Digital Foundry review and comparison, this will be awesome and I'm sure Retro will deliver on both platforms!

To talk about the game itself:

I was surprised by the "20X9". I feel like Metroid games haven't given a timeline or a set year since the manual of NES Metroid.
The art booklet that comes with Prime Trilogy actually comes with a timeline linking the original Metroid and Prime stories, interestingly enough. Federation Force also does the whole β€œ20X_” year thing.

Look no offense but how low can one's expectations be ..... this is like the most basic thing you should've expected from a teaser

The rest is very w/e except the 60fps and the hint at larger worlds which wasn't enough (was anyone really not expecting it to use the Prime R engine? even if it had a different artstyle it'd be using that)

I'm happy for you if you liked it but it's weird to be surprised people expected more

No offense taken, my friend. It's all good.

My only surprise is that people seemingly wanted a full-blown detailed analysis trailer instead of a Teaser, and most of us all knew a teaser was what we were going to get. Nintendo is known for this, especially for their bigger, and more hyped titles. Remember the initial teaser for TOTK when it known as BOTW2? That was all just a cinematic. It wasn't until later when actual gameplay was shown, and I remember lots of pushback for awhile with people thinking there was nothing new going to happen for it. And then we got more information, we got new trailers, etc.

I expected a teaser, and that is precisely what we got.

I just want to see the video of the reaction from the Nintendo Store.

This SWITCH game has been in development for the SWITCH for five years, so you should not be surprised when it looks like a SWITCH game.

(And it looks awesome, at that.)

Edit: And I'm not discussing this nonsense anymore.

I just want to see the video of the reaction from the Nintendo Store.

There's always someone who uploads a reaction video from that store, though it might be from the back and you might not see it.

Anyone knows if the guy is okay? Like seriously? Is he okay?

I've seen bad takes (oh hi P4blo) but this one takes the cake.
Could you just stop ?

I just can't believe it. What is wrong with you guys ?
It's been 17 fucking years (SEVENTEEN) since Prime 3. I've been waiting 17 FUCKING YEARS, and I just when I was enjoying life, and then, this.

The game runs at 60 FPS and we've seen 15 seconds of gameplay and you're already going "It'S OnLY aPpEAl is GraPHiCS"

Please, stop this bullshit, this is so fucking annoying.
Yes, and as amazing the visuals were at the time, the bigger appeal was the gameplay, atmosphere, music, as they still are.
Graphics look pretty good for an 8 year old hybrid, I'll be hoping for a proper jazzed-up Switch 2 version.

I'm basically just so relieved that it looks like Metroid Prime, no Other M BS, no endless Federation blah-blah bs, just Metroid Prime.

Disheartened to see so much negativity about the game, but I guess I shouldn't be surprised.
To be fair, I'm mostly seeing extreme hype elsewhere on the internet. The negativity I've seen has almost been entirely in this thread and only among a few people.

Famiboards when Metroid Prime 4 looks like a Metroid Prime game

Screen_Shot_2018-10-25_at_11.02.15_AM.png
I feel like you predicted this exact thing would happen!

Switch gameplay doesn't look to give this game justice and people are already complaining about the graphics "Gamecube" look of the game.
Who says that ? Where ? Why should we care since this is obviously false from A to Z ?
Why do you bring this here ?

It will be a shadow drop in the September Direct. Mark these words

God I hope you're right. I just feel like THAT was the time, though. Either right before or right after the Prime 4 trailer to add to the hype. I don't even know if we'll get a September Direct given the omission of a traditional one this February and with the new hardware on the way. Prime 2 is neck and neck with 1 as my favorite.

I feel like you predicted this exact thing would happen!

The combat systems in these games were average 17 years ago and we've had 17 years of ridiculous innovation in the FPS and Metroidvania space so doing what looks like the same combat/physics system once again is really bad.

The game also doesn't really look like a Metroid Prime game in terms of atmosphere as this is a beat for beat kind of redo of the Metroid Prime 3 opening (which was atmospherically not really a Metroid game in an attempt to rebound from the horrible sales of Prime 2)

It's fine to be scrutinizing of game reveals but I honestly think some of the negative takes here are people trying to be contrarian in lieu of the hype. The visuals for Prime 4 seem to be an evolution of the graphical features seen in the Remaster. Even the Morph Ball model looks identical to the Remaster, so it's clear they're using the same framework as that game which makes sense. The post processing effects such as the glare and bloom add a good atmosphere to the game, not to mention the texture work being very high fidelity for a Switch release. It's also got a lot of fog and lighting touches to further dramatize the environments. And of course we can't forget that this game is targeting 60fps while pulling off all these effects.

So yeah, Retro Studios is squeezing every last pixel and polygon out of that nearly decade old Tegra X1 chipset and that's such a delight to see.

I hope the game is really long.

Like too long.
The Trilogy was around 7-9 hours each for 100% items and scans and I like to take my time in them. I wouldn’t be disappointed in something similar
reading this forum is almost ruining this direct for me, for every single game shown today theres multiple users complaining about the most mundane shit,its like people want to deliberately have a miserable experience
I only see one user being overly negative

reading this forum is almost ruining this direct for me, for every single game shown today theres multiple users complaining about the most mundane shit,its like people want to deliberately have a miserable experience
If reading opinions from other people is enough to ruin it maybe you didn't like it that much?

Almost me, I was very lightheaded and I managed to give myself pins and needles in both hands from hyperventilating. If that trailer was any longer I would have dropped.
It's weird that we didn't get MP2/3 remastered first.
As they're not story relevant (as far as we know), unless you 100% 3, I don't think they feel a need to rush them out for the sake of it. Much better to have them be proper remasters like the first and release them during Metroid-less years

So the logo is definitely going for the look of a black hole:

Metroid-Prime-4-Beyond.jpg

1569495182-cover-image-o.webp

Although with that subtitle implying travel to new places, it might also be evoking a wormhole as well.
Tanabe had previously talked about wanting to do a time travel Prime game, so a black hole would make sense for that.

So the logo is definitely going for the look of a black hole:

Metroid-Prime-4-Beyond.jpg

1569495182-cover-image-o.webp

Although with that subtitle implying travel to new places, it might also be evoking a wormhole as well.
That logo looks like what she walks out of in the last shot

So what are the scientists trying to save here? They're taking it in another room.

mc7utvV.png
Oh, now here we go! This is the kind of stuff I want to talk about. Given Tanabe's proclaimed interest in time travel, my crackpot theory is it's some kind of device related to that! (Maybe??)

@AngryAlchemist I'm hesitant to post my thoughts (positive or negative) until I get them sorted and settled, but I'll say one thing for now:

Based on the music at the very end... thank goodness we aren't getting Soshi Abe and Sayako Doi 2: Electric Boogaloo.

I swear people said dreads graphics were bad when it was revealed too lol
People say Zelda Echoes of Wisdom looks like Funko Pops when we had a literal Funko Pop game in the Direct (that looked bad), people can say whatever they want. Metroid is back baybeeeeee

So what are the scientists trying to save here? They're taking it in another room.

mc7utvV.png
It’s the thing that’ll be responsible for warping Samus to another planet without her ship while Sylux gets up to whatever he wants.

EDIT: for more personal/baseless theory crafting for scan lore and to vaguely connect it to the Trilogy, the GF want to recreate the wormhole technology previously only accomplished by the Leviathans. This is their attempt at creating a device capable of that.

Back
Top Bottom