• So how about that Nintendo Direct? WestEgg, Irene, VolcanicDynamo, and Special Guest Aurc give our thoughts on the June Direct, including a deep look at the Metroid Prime 4 reveal! Check it out here!

News Metroid Prime 4: Beyond new trailer, coming to Nintendo Switch in 2025

The teleport thingie that lets you go BEYOND

More specifically, Bed, Bath & BEYOND!!!

DQ4FLBTR2NFIRKV4UCO6KEC44U.JPG

Honestly it was the last shots of the wildlife, the world, accompanied by THAT FREAKING MUSIC, that made me soar.

Metroid Prime made my grab a GameCube the next day, Metroid Prime 4 will by my first Switch 2 game too, it's poetry, it rhymes, let me kill the brain sucking energy jellyfish please.
Agree on the first part.

The first 95% of that trailer put me in the disappointed camp. The last 5% of the trailer with the crazy wildlife was like yes.

Wish they’d shown THAT vs what we got for most of the trailer.

I'm wondering if there will be voice acting.

I would prefer less of it than what we got in Prime 3, but it can make a good impact if done well. Hopefully Sylux doesn't go on long monologues followed by evil laughs.

Doing "bad guy plans to breed a bunch of Metroids to take over the universe" again, immediately after Dread did that, is very weird and creatively bankrupt.

Also, Metroids aren't really threatening anymore so it kind of comes off as a joke.

The Space Pirates returning instead of introducing a new faction is so disappointing, the lack of creativity anywhere is just really really disappointing.

@AngryAlchemist I'm hesitant to post my thoughts (positive or negative) until I get them sorted and settled, but I'll say one thing for now:

Based on the music at the very end... thank goodness we aren't getting Soshi Abe and Sayako Doi 2: Electric Boogaloo.
😂 😂 😂 😂

I'm SO GLAD we'll have real music in a Metroid game!

It's fine to be scrutinizing of game reveals but I honestly think some of the negative takes here are people trying to be contrarian in lieu of the hype.
Maybe, but plenty of us set out our hopes and expectations for Prime 4 right here on this site years ago.

A brand new or revamped combat system featured pretty heavily in a lot of those posts. We can already see that's not the case. Being disappointed in that isn't contrarian, it's consistent.

Doing "bad guy plans to breed a bunch of Metroids to take over the universe" again, immediately after Dread did that, is very weird and creatively bankrupt.

Also, Metroids aren't really threatening anymore so it kind of comes off as a joke.

The Space Pirates returning instead of introducing a new faction is so disappointing, the lack of creativity anywhere is just really really disappointing.

Dude, we know very little about the story. It's just an opening.

reading this forum is almost ruining this direct for me, for every single game shown today theres multiple users complaining about the most mundane shit,its like people want to deliberately have a miserable experience
I enjoyed the direct quite a bit but I am also allowed to be mildly unimpressed by MP4 lol.

Agree on the first part.

The first 95% of that trailer put me in the disappointed camp. The last 5% of the trailer with the crazy wildlife was like yes.

Wish they’d shown THAT vs what we got for most of the trailer.
I hear you, but I think an extremely large segment of paying customers LOVE immersive combat situations like the first 95% of the trailer... This is marketing, after all.

Gotta make the kids talk about how fucking blam-blam-cool that orange bounty hunter dude in the suit is, you know?

I hear you, but I think an extremely large segment of paying customers LOVE immersive combat situations like the first 95% of the trailer... This is marketing, after all.

Gotta make the kids talk about how fucking blam-blam-cool that orange bounty hunter dude in the suit is, you know?
Yeah, the Direct isn't just targeted towards existing Nintendo fans much less the percentage of Nintendo fans who have played past Prime games.

I can't tell if I like how much the lighting looks like Halo 4. That will be good for open areas but I feel like it kinda makes characters and some other stuff look flat.

Might as well. Prime 3 vs 4 comparison shots.

900x.jpg
900x.jpg

_4277783b.jpg
_4277773b.jpg

Obviously this is a large leap in fidelity (as the Switch is much more powerful than the Wii and programming has gotten much better in the last 17 years), but I do think the art is much better in those two Prime 3 screenshots. The art in this Prime 4 trailer was pretty awful and about as generic as possible.

The art in Prime 3 was wildly inconsistent though, ranging from great to just incredibly generic and boring and the same could be the case for Prime 4.

reading this forum is almost ruining this direct for me, for every single game shown today theres multiple users complaining about the most mundane shit,its like people want to deliberately have a miserable experience

Enthusiasts man. It's the same on every enthusiast site. We saw 30 seconds(max) of gameplay and cutscene and everyone is up and arms about how the game isn't groundbreaking or looks bad. As someone who shits on Hollywood for long trailers, I prefer this. That way I can play the game without knowing every single detail before I play it, something that Hollywood struggles with when showing 2 minute movie trailers(you basically get the whole plot).

Tanabe have finally able to put is "OC do not steal" carachter in a Big production, and NOBODY can tell him what to do

I truly hope is not Samus Brother

Might as well. Prime 3 vs 4 comparison shots.

900x.jpg
900x.jpg

_4277783b.jpg
_4277773b.jpg
I’m gonna miss the environment/world design of Trilogy so much. I’ll give it to Corruption, it really took great advantage of multiple planets for this. I mentioned it way upstream in the thread but I am concerned/curious about the art direction in 4.

It is kind of a shame about the Metroids because Trilogy did a good job having its own threat. That said I have a feeling Sylux is actually looking for a different weapon of destruction. His whole shtick is stealing tech. He already has the Metroids anyways.

Maybe, but plenty of us set out our hopes and expectations for Prime 4 right here on this site years ago.

A brand new or revamped combat system featured pretty heavily in a lot of those posts. We can already see that's not the case. Being disappointed in that isn't contrarian, it's consistent.
It's a Metroid Prime game. How different were people expecting?

on a poll in this very forum prime remastered was elected the best looking switch game, with the tech director of the original trilogy saying in a interview he doesnt even know how was possible to archieve that level of visuals, and people are saying it looks like it, as a insult..., that last scene was much bigger than any prime 1 room

To be fair if it is about time travel/multiple dimension, then Sylux is looking for something new niether the Phaozon or the Metroids

So the logo is definitely going for the look of a black hole:

Metroid-Prime-4-Beyond.jpg

1569495182-cover-image-o.webp

Although with that subtitle implying travel to new places, it might also be evoking a wormhole as well.
That totally a stargate-like thing. And I'm pretty sure we see one them at the very end too, look like Samus came out of it before showing the whole place

on a poll in this very forum prime remastered was elected the best looking switch game, with the tech director of the original trilogy saying in a interview he doesnt even know how was possible to archieve that level of visuals, and people are saying it looks like it, as a insult..., that last scene was much bigger than any prime 1 room
Yeah I'm actually kind of baffled by the disappointed "oh, it just looks like Metroid Prime Remastered..." reactions from this thread considering how Metroid Prime Remastered's graphics have been unanimously praised as a technical marvel. What did people expect exactly?

Some people are really expecting 60fps open-world Metroid game on Switch 💀? It is technically impossible. The Switch already struggles to run open-world (or even just large environments/open areas) games at 30fps. They would literally have to make it 30fps for that game to exist. Quite obviously, they are not making that compromise.

And this very much looks like a Switch game. Some of you all don’t realize how much of a huge jump the Switch successor really is. Honestly, I thought we were getting another Prime remaster (Prime 2?) for a second when I saw the trailer in the Direct. It doesn’t look that different from the Prime 1 Remastered. That remaster already looks good. One of the best looking 3D games on Switch, in fact. With that said, having Prime 4 (the next big entry in the series) look very close to a remaster of a game might not be the greatest idea. Prime 4 does look slightly better than the Prime 1 Remastered. I went back and looked at trailers and gameplay of both games just to make sure. It does look better… slightly. And that’s the problem. You’re leveling the playing field between a brand new game and a remaster of an old title. People are already familiar with this upgraded art style and graphics, so you lost the wow factor and the newness of it. A better scenario would be Prime 4 should‘ve come out first with this art style. Then use this engine for Prime 1 re-release after Prime 4. Perception would be different.

While Prime 4 looks good, it still looks lower poly relative to graphical current-gen games (like most Switch games). You can still see the blockiness for the models esp. It is a good looking Switch game. It is very much still a Switch 1 game. This is a from the ground up Switch 1 game. Not a TARGET Switch 2 game at all. Native Switch 2 games will not look like this. There will quite literally be a jump in polygons esp the models. On the bright side, Prime 4 will easily be 4K 60fps (with DLSS) on the next system.

Last edited:
Completely different combat system, new factions, new music, new settings, new mechanics... It's been 17 years and the three games themselves played it pretty safe in similarity to each other.
Anyone expecting a completely different combat system were setting themselves up for disappointment from day one. It may very well have notably brand new combat mechanics, but the baseline nature of Metroid Prime wasn't going to drastically change.

Back
Top Bottom