• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

News Metroid Prime 4: Beyond new trailer, coming to Nintendo Switch in 2025

I'm not sure where people are getting the "same combat as Prime 1" from. They've put some work into addressing the combat. The Space Pirates only take a handful of shots to kill VS 40 million in Prime, the dodge seems to be faster, the fire rate seems to be a tad faster, the Space Pirates have actual death animations now, and it seems like the camera isn't as sluggish. Sure, I would've liked to see it updated more, but making the enemies less spongy and Samus more responsive goes a long way for me.

These are just some observations based off of the trailer, so grain of salt of course. Could just be my eyes playing tricks on me. Regardless, it's like two seconds of actual gameplay and we haven't gotten to play it. It could feel totally fine in practice.

We've known Sylux would be the main bad guy in this since 2007 mate.

Yeah, but Prime 3's story sucked like every other game in the series and I was hoping Tanabe would try to make the franchise's story good to try to appeal to more people and evolve the series instead of sticking to the terrible lore.

To consumers, it's the graphics. This gameplay style is very unpopular (as shown by how badly Prime 3 sold).
How in the world does this make any sense? If it sold bad because of its gameplay, suddenly its bad sales are ok because of the graphics?

The music for the Sylux cinematic, and the intro in general, was heavily reminiscent of Prime 3. And obviously the ending shot and music were reminiscent of Prime 1. And in both cases it was like clearly a "bigger, better" inspired scene. Not trying to leave Prime 2 out -- it just doesn't have the same kind of "identity" beyond the light/dark gimmick which they can't really repeat again -- but a Prime 4 that melds and expands on the different identities from Prime 1 and 3 sounds amazing to me.

Those last few outro notes are going to be playing in my head until sometime in 2025.

Man this just looks like more metroid prime... AND THANK GOD FOR THAT! I know i might be in the minority here but after recently playing the metroid prime trilogy for the first time all I wanted was prime 4 to be that, prime 4. Doesn't need to be open world or super innovative or whatever. No one makes games like metroid prime, why would they need to make this any different?

Yeah, but Prime 3's story sucked like every other game in the series and I was hoping Tanabe would try to make the franchise's story good to try to appeal to more people and evolve the series instead of sticking to the terrible lore.
Can you please just let us have this one? Every post you've made in this topic has been extremely negative.

I never liked the lighting Remastered had for characters since they all look like they’re made out of rubber and sad it’s carried over here.
That's it! I always was really bothered by how "dry" everything looked in Remastered, the texture of a rubber ball is a really good comparison!

Yeah, I didn't really like how that looked to be carrying forward here either.

Switch gameplay doesn't look to give this game justice and people are already complaining about the graphics "Gamecube" look of the game.
People are idiots. also "it doesn't look like the imaginary Switch 2 version in my head" is a really weird complaint.

Yeah, I can't move within this framework, tbh. I don't think the stories suck, or that the lore is bad, especially not the Prime lore.

It's sad this is all we got in 5 years

-We got confirmation the game actually exists.
-We got some cut-scenes to show off this is a continuation of Prime 3
-It's using the same engine as Prime Remastered, which already looked quite good, and we got some gameplay footage (game appears more polished, and optimized).
-Like Prime 1 remastered, it runs at 60fps like I was hoping, but wasn't sure if it would actually happen.
-We also got shown a different world that is more Forest-like, with a strong hint of this game having larger worlds.
-Some of the music was shown, and if that last bit of music at the end was any indication, Prime 4 is going to have some killer tunes.
-To top it all off, it'll launch sometime in 2025.

Sounds like a packed teaser IMO. But I guess others had different expectations. 🤷‍♂️

I guess some people are disappointed after so many years of development and it looks too similar to the previous games. But like I said, it's too early to judge, since all the first trailers are to show things that are familiar to the player, while the next trailers are to show all the new gamplay and mechanics of the game. And I'm sure it will look much better on Switch 2

Disheartened to see so much negativity about the game, but I guess I shouldn't be surprised. I'm super excited by everything I saw, my only gripe like I said is not getting Prime 2 and 3 ahead of time. Great games that just aren't allowed the limelight X(

Honestly it was the last shots of the wildlife, the world, accompanied by THAT FREAKING MUSIC, that made me soar.

Metroid Prime made my grab a GameCube the next day, Metroid Prime 4 will by my first Switch 2 game too, it's poetry, it rhymes, let me kill the brain sucking energy jellyfish please.

Last thing I care about in MP games or Metroid in general is story. If it was up to me these games would just dump you in a world and you just have to figure everything out on your own From Software style.

But anyway, this looks fantastic. I love that ending shot of the forest scene.

-We got confirmation the game actually exists.
-We got some cut-scenes to show off this is a continuation of Prime 3
-To top it all off, it'll launch sometime in 2025.
Look no offense but how low can one's expectations be ..... this is like the most basic thing you should've expected from a teaser

The rest is very w/e except the 60fps and the hint at larger worlds which wasn't enough (was anyone really not expecting it to use the Prime R engine? even if it had a different artstyle it'd be using that)

I'm happy for you if you liked it but it's weird to be surprised people expected more

I'm happy enough with that, as far as a teaser go. Unlike others, I want it to play like the original games, with some different abilities and the controls from the remake of course. I was concerned they might try and make it too combat-oriented and the trailer did have a fair bit of that, but I think that's just 'cos it's more exciting. Showing scanning still being in and the morphball exploration makes me think it'll retain the Metroid feel.

Still, I'll have to wait and see more, as tbh I feel like the series has gotten a bit worse with each entry, even if they're all good games. It's been so long though, I really have no idea if this current Retro can pull off what early 2000s Retro did.

But if they show varied, interlinked environments next time, preferably all on the same planet, I'll start to feel more confident.

Oh and I like the logo, though I agree they should drop the 4.

Man this just looks like more metroid prime... AND THANK GOD FOR THAT! I know i might be in the minority here but after recently playing the metroid prime trilogy for the first time all I wanted was prime 4 to be that, prime 4. Doesn't need to be open world or super innovative or whatever. No one makes games like metroid prime, why would they need to make this any different?
👆 👆👆

I'm not against a "BOTW moment" for Metroid at all, but it would have to be something completely new.

I have to say, at the first look I got I thought it looked like halo 5, so I think graphic wise it’s looking pretty good.
Pretty baffled by the negativity for what was a gameplay teaser. I know people want metroid to become as big as zelda and Mario but it’s the first metroid prime since 2007.
Just give me the goods and let’s see what they’ll show in future trailers.

Famiboards when Metroid Prime 4 looks like a Metroid Prime game

Screen_Shot_2018-10-25_at_11.02.15_AM.png

Looping the trailer a bunch with proper headphones now and the ending track is getting me so misty eyed. That's so Tallon IV-esque and every fiber of me knows it. Gahhdayuum

During the more action part of the beginning I had a bit more mixed feelings but when they showed the planet I was on board.
It looks like a typical Prime game with feelings of isolation, wonder and tension. That's all I want.

I think some media literacy is in order when it comes to the "too similar" stuff. Although I'll say up front that even if the game is "too similar" to previous games it will still be incredible, and I suspect the majority of the "too similar" comments come from people who don't actually play the series and just like to concern troll about its impact or sales, which is the same thing that happened with Splatoon 3.

They started the trailer with footage similar to past games, specifically similar to Prime 3 in location and action, on purpose. The gunship design is also largely the same as Prime 3. Because this is a sequel to Prime 3, and what they showed there is very likely the intro to the game. As part of the intro, something is going to happen that changes the status quo as the story actually gets underway. For example, I wouldn't be surprised if Samus's gunship blows up and a new design is introduced (Metroid has a history of doing things like that, you know!). And you're going to be doing more in the game than shooting Space Pirates in corridors. The final shot was clearly contrasting with the previous footage -- and with past Prime games in general that had mostly small areas -- and showing you "here's the world B E Y O N D the familiar Prime stuff we just showed you."

Get it? Beyond? Metroid Prime 4... Beyond? Not to blow your minds with this extreme insight.

I'm new to the Metroid Prime series, only really played the first few levels of the original Prime and am working my way through Prime Remastered. So I'm not 'burnt out' on the series.

I think this game looks pretty good, pretty much what I expect from 'Metroid Prime', just polished. I think a lot of people guessed Remastered was sort of a testbed for the tech of Prime 4, and that seems to be playing out here.

The artstyle for the Switch Metroids continues to be gorgeous as always.

I'm excited! I think this will be a fantastic cross-gen title.

The graphics being bad is fine except the gameplay and story look a billion times worse. There's no innovation here at all.
I think you’ve seen enough marquee Nintendo game marketing cycles to know that gameplay hooks don’t show up at the reveal.

The new Zelda game did show its hook, but it is also launching in a couple months

I think it better to show off a gameplay trailer and not a cinematic one. The latter does little to nothing imo on showing the game off. Fans were concerned about this not being a Metroid game.

As for me I’ll wait for the main trailer before deciding if this is for me or not.

I'm a little surprised but it definitely seems like they took a page from Prime 3's book with that opening. I have zero worries about having plenty of quieter, more explorative stuff in it, though.

Full thoughts on the reveal.

The opening segment seems to clearly be the intro to the game, and well, I think it looks pretty great for that! Not anything mind blowing, but to be honest, none of the games in the series come close to peaking at the intro for me personally.

…and it was immediately proven that Prime 4 would be the same with that stinger at the end. What a gorgeous and huge environment. Almost as if it was to say “this is where the real game begins.” I think the “before” and “after” the logo segments contrasting was intentional, and that latter segment was by far the most promising thing of the teaser - and I think it’s fair to say that’s a better sign at what most of the game will be like!

I understand those saying it looks iterative, but I can’t really relate to it as a complaint. I’ve always been of the mind that if Retro does have a groundbreaking idea that would be the BotW of the series that they’re extremely confident in, I’d fully support them revolutionizing it. But if they just want to make another great Metroid Prime game that’s like the first three, that’s only a good thing - and I’m flabbergasted that it’s considered a bad thing. Remember, the subseries was thought to be all but dead 10 years ago. It’s my favorite trilogy of all time and the first two games are top 5 GOATs to me, an iterative sequel is still a dream game and I’m so thankful we’re getting one at all. No one else is making games like this.

I am surprised we didn’t see a Samus redesign, but yeah, I’m presuming that will come later in the game. Even though I didn’t think Sylux would NOT be in the game, it still felt weird to see him lol. It’ll take some getting used to that they’re actually following up a 10 year old credits stinger still, gotta respect sticking to their guns!

And lastly I just have to shout out the music again, it sounds incredible 😭😭 the stuff before the logo reveal sounds good, but of course I mainly mean the part during the stinger. I was so worried we’d get a Dread-tier soundtrack, or at the very least, lose the soundscape that made Prime special. I’m so over the moon that it’s very much intact!

I mean come on is impossible that ther will be no significant gameplay upgrades and modernized

No a single Nintendo game this Gen did not have some huge new mechanic

To talk about the game itself:

I was surprised by the "20X9". I feel like Metroid games haven't given a timeline or a set year since the manual of NES Metroid.

This game's main appeal is its graphics and it will get absolutely shit on by the next Mario Kart and 3D Mario.
I've seen bad takes (oh hi P4blo) but this one takes the cake.
Could you just stop ?

I just can't believe it. What is wrong with you guys ?
It's been 17 fucking years (SEVENTEEN) since Prime 3. I've been waiting 17 FUCKING YEARS, and I just when I was enjoying life, and then, this.

The game runs at 60 FPS and we've seen 15 seconds of gameplay and you're already going "It'S OnLY aPpEAl is GraPHiCS"

Please, stop this bullshit, this is so fucking annoying.

Finally, it's in a state where we can see it.

Looks exactly like a Metroid Prime game. Maybe there'll be surprises, but I'm not unhappy with an iterative sequel.

Of course now I want to replay 2 and 3 but you can guarantee I'll finish 2 and Nintendo will announce 2 Remaster within the week...

If it is a cross gen title I wonder if they'll add ray tracing for the Switch 2 or something because graphically it doesn't seem that intensive.

Metroid isn't big enough of a franchise to get a massive budget.

Back
Top Bottom