• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

News Metroid Prime 4: Beyond new trailer, coming to Nintendo Switch in 2025

The game itself looks fine for as little as we saw it, but I think after nearly two decades of anticipation it's unlikely this will live up to a lot of people's expectations. It's more Prime, seems like. Which makes sense after the original development cycle went haywire they probably didn't want to do something super crazy with it.

MP4 is 20X9, the Metroid II Remake is 20X5
Hmm Zero Mission is 20X5 and SR is less than a year after that it looks like. I’m not sure even the Trilogy fits into that (even worse when FF takes place after that even). I’m feeling better about my earlier headcanon all the time lol. Prime was supposed to be 3 years after the original Metroid when the Trilogy collection was released

The game itself looks fine for as little as we saw it, but I think after nearly two decades of anticipation it's unlikely this will live up to a lot of people's expectations. It's more Prime, seems like. Which makes sense after the original development cycle went haywire they probably didn't want to do something super crazy with it.

Just shouldn't have taken this incredibly long if it's just extremely unambitious though.

I'm curious what the old team wanted with it and why Nintendo was unsatisfied.

I'm not sure if Metroid Prime 4 will be cross-gen. Everything will depend on Nintendo's policy on this point.

In any case, I'm very glad that it's finally there, and can't wait to play it.

Everything is so Retro Studios. The music direction, the combat, the multiple angles when in ball form and seeing what hijinks the space pirates are up to.

Sylux front and center. I'm really curious where there are going with this. Even the Metroids look a little different.

But yeah it's def cross gen 100%. All that matters now for me is when and where it will release first.

I'm not watching the trailer since I want to go in spoiler free.

What's the hype level ladies and gentlemen?

I have a strong feeling that this game has a big "hook" we haven't seen yet, similar to how Super Mario Odyssey's first trailer didn't show the capture mechanic at all.

So the logo is definitely going for the look of a black hole:

Metroid-Prime-4-Beyond.jpg

1569495182-cover-image-o.webp

Although with that subtitle implying travel to new places, it might also be evoking a wormhole as well.

I hope this indicates some kind of dimension-traveling mechanic.

I know we already had it in Prime 2, but seeing it get elaborated on (Maybe even with 3 zones) would be gold.

This thread has a disturbing lack of @Aurc …
I'm seriously just sorting through my thoughts is all! Haha. I'm already seeing some heated exchanges taking place in this thread, so I'd largely prefer to avoid the wave of immediate emotional reactions (both engaging with them, and presenting any of my own), whether they take the form of "This game looks freakin' amazeballs!", or "Wow, how underwhelming for that to be it, after all this time..."

There'll be plenty of time to analyze and opine on every detail in this trailer in the coming months, considering it'll be a while before we get anything else. I figure if I've waited this long, I don't need to impulsively leap in like a turbo bozo and start posting wild. The Process taught me serenity and discipline, after all.

I have a strong feeling that this game has a big "hook" we haven't seen yet, similar to how Super Mario Odyssey's first trailer didn't show the capture mechanic at all.
Absolutely, we really got the first look glimpse here. They'll show much more...potentially when the Switch 2 is officially revealed.

Everything is so Retro Studios. The music direction, the combat, the multiple angles when in ball form and seeing what hijinks the space pirates are up to.

Sylux front and center. I'm really curious where there are going with this. Even the Metroids look a little different.

But yeah it's def cross gen 100%. All that matters now for me is when and where it will release first.

They might actually be mochtroids (they only have one nucleus).

I think there’s multiple camps here.

There’s people who wanted a complete overhaul built from the ground up, which we don’t seem to be getting based on how the game looks to play (as in, the basic abilities seem to function exactly as they did in the trilogy). Those seem to be the most disappointed

However, I think it’s foolish to take what’s almost assuredly the tutorial mission and assume that that means there can’t be significant changes and new mechanics. I have 100% confidence there’s gonna be enough new mechanics (both with Samus’ moveset and in the world design itself) to make this feel fresh even if it’s working within the same framework as the OG trilogy.

They might actually be mochtroids (they only have one nucleus).
Wait...they didn't start doing that until Super Metroid right? That could bring some interesting implications as to when this game is taking place.

... I'm probably getting too ahead of myself though I'm lol.

I cannot stop watching the Sylux introduction.

As someone who has always been a but skeptical of his suitability as a villain, the framing and the guitar riff that accompanies his entrance is great. His design looks better in this game as well.

All in for a Sylux redemption arc in the minds of the fanbase.

Prime 2 had light and dark world. Prime 3 had hypermode. Prime 4's thing will definitely be part of the release date trailer, whenever that comes.

The trailer was hyped.

I’m extremely excited seeing more, there’s a possibility it’ll release alongside 3D Mario.

Maybe it’s a pipe dream, but imagine if Prime 4 is a pack in title for the Switch 2, is it unlikely, yes, but it would be hella hype.

I think it’s just artistic license honestly. I mean he does literally get a real Metroid in FF. I’m down for a new design anyways

Why only one nucleus then? Retro are obsessed with details like that, and that's literally the difference between Metroids and Mochtroids.

I don't really get the "Sylux isn't intimidating" comments because it just seems like a non-sequitur. The only game he was in had him as one of six different rivals who pop in and out to fight Samus across different planets. Hunters doesn't have any kind of unfolding plot or story sequences, so he doesn't really do anything. So while I'd agree that he's obviously not some iconic series villain due to that limited role, there's also nothing that makes him unintimidating, because he never had a chance to do anything one way or the other. You know what I mean?

Anyway, what I want most from Sylux in this game is to morph into the Lockjaw and zoom around.

Most confidence inspiring bit of the trailer was Samus traveling through the foreground in morph ball form while events play out in the background filling in what situation she is probably trying to get ahead of.

That's just good storytelling.

I don't really get the "Sylux isn't intimidating" comments because it just seems like a non-sequitur. The only game he was in had him as one of six different rivals who pop in and out to fight Samus across different planets. Hunters doesn't have any kind of unfolding plot or story sequences, so he doesn't really do anything. So while I'd agree that he's obviously not some iconic series villain due to that limited role, there's also nothing that makes him non-intimidating, because he never had a chance to do anything one way or the other. You know what I mean?

Anyway, what I want most from Sylux in this game is to morph into the Lockjaw and zoom around.

The issue in general is just that all the lore in the series is bad and needs to be dumped fully. Committing to Sylux 17 years later and bringing back the Space Pirates again and the same Metroid breeding plan again is just so disappointing.

Nostalgia baiting for a series very few people played that last had an entry 17 years ago instead of doing something new is also just strange in general from a financial perspective.

If someone thinks this game looks like Metroid Prime 3, I see no reason to take their opinion seriously. It is a gargantuan leap in fidelity compared to that game. It also improves on Remastered, with local light sources for particle beams, high quality specular reflections, complex material shading, and much more realistic "volumetric" effects for explosions and fog (they don't appear to actually be volumetric and have some visible artifacting but are far better than the same effects from the previous games).

This is the best looking game on the Switch in terms of visual fidelity, and it's not even close.

We have never been more back than we are now. We are reaching levels of back that are breaking the scale. The Process has not failed us. All things come in The Process's own time.

I don't really get the "Sylux isn't intimidating" comments because it just seems like a non-sequitur. The only game he was in had him as one of six different rivals who pop in and out to fight Samus across different planets. Hunters doesn't have any kind of unfolding plot or story sequences, so he doesn't really do anything. So while I'd agree that he's obviously not some iconic series villain due to that limited role, there's also nothing that makes him unintimidating, because he never had a chance to do anything one way or the other. You know what I mean?

Agreed, I would’ve been interested about any ship following Samus at the end of Corruption. Sylux is as good as any.

If someone thinks this game looks like Metroid Prime 3, I see no reason to take their opinion seriously. It is a gargantuan leap in fidelity compared to that game. It also improves on Remastered, with local light sources for particle beams, high quality specular reflections, complex material shading, and much more realistic "volumetric" effects for explosions and fog (they don't appear to actually be volumetric and have some visible artifacting but are far better than the same effects from the previous games).

This is the best looking game on the Switch in terms of visual fidelity, and it's not even close.

Absolutely best looking game on the Switch, although it looked a little blurry, but that might be video compression. Can't wait to see 4K Switch 2 footage.

Completely different combat system, new factions, new music, new settings, new mechanics... It's been 17 years and the three games themselves played it pretty safe in similarity to each other.
It's the big return to Metroid Prime after 17 years, of course it's going to be a mix of new stuff plus doing the best they can to be as "Metroid Prime" as possible. I want updates, yes, but at the same time all I really want is a new Metroid Prime and this is delivering.

I don't really get all these comments, to be honest. If you wanted a completely different combat system, completely new mechanics, completely dumping the lore, and completely new story then maybe this just isn't a game or series for you? Because they're not going to change things up that wildly, that was never going to happen.

So yeah, the game does look like more Metroid Prime, almost like it should've come out ~a decade ago. But whatever, I'm happy to see it, and I just hope it delivers a satisfying experience which my umpteenth replay of Prime was only able to partially satiate.
There just wasn't a whole lot shown in the trailer for me to really sink my teeth into (kinda reminiscent of my initial reaction to the Bayo 3 gameplay reveal, to a degree, and I ended up loving that one).

I'll just say that, unless the production is rushed and Retro's being forced to push this out the door sooner than it should, I believe I'll genuinely enjoy Prime Beyond.

I can't wait to see more about this game. The one thing I have gleaned so far from this trailer is that it seems like we are going to be getting different sub weapons. you can see on the left side, missile launcher is selected, so that might change up the combat a bit. Curious to see what we can switch to.

It's the big return to Metroid Prime after 17 years, of course it's going to be a mix of new stuff plus doing the best they can to be as "Metroid Prime" as possible. I want updates, yes, but at the same time all I really want is a new Metroid Prime and this is delivering.

I don't really get all these comments, to be honest. If you wanted a completely different combat system, completely new mechanics, completely dumping the lore, and completely new story then maybe this just isn't a game or series for you? Because they're not going to change things up that wildly, that was never going to happen.

I was expecting at least a Doom Dark Ages from Doom Eternal amount of gameplay change in the 17 years since Prime 3.

Instead we got a really bad opening that copies Prime 3’s not all Metroid like opening that focuses on its incredibly dated combat system.

Expecting:

-A better story
-New factions
-New combat system since the old one was really bad

To go along with the atmospheric platforming and exploration of Metroid is what I was hoping for. Was also hoping for some wild level of innovation like BotW or Doom 2016 to live up to the pedigree of Metroid.

Instead, we got a zero atmosphere, generic setting, same characters, generic art, combat trailer featuring really bad looking combat.

Not that I remember any of the MP lore from having played them decades ago, but I do wonder if Sylux could just be a red herring. And not the true big baddie in this one.

Back
Top Bottom