• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Fun Club Metroid fans: will Metroid Prime 4 be in tomorrow's Direct? Do you trust the process?

Do you trust the process?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Don't worry, we'll see it in September.
I sure hope so. I was thinking the same thing about June.

I know Metroid has been pretty good these past few years, and F-Zero, DK, and Star Fox fans (I love Star Fox too) have it worse. But, it’s different for when you have an announced game versus no announcements at all, which Metroid fans have also been through too.

I hate how whiny I sound, but I promise after I see Prime 4, I’ll stop being like this. Unless it comes out and is garbage, but I HIGHLY doubt that.

In Retro we trust!

I've just received a transmission from Samus Aran herself. She's an extremely busy person, but I was privileged enough to be graced by her momentary presence, and she bestowed upon me some reassuring sentiment to share with you all.

First off, Samus is honored to have so many people invested in the next chapter of her career. She said I should congratulate #TeamDoubt on their understandable, well-placed reservations, and that #TeamProcess is never wrong to believe, but that it's also important to remember that conviction in one's beliefs is never a guarantee of certain events occurring when one expects them to. Indeed, Samus trusts a process greater than any: that of the Chozo. She wanted me to share with you one of her Logbook entries that she found particularly relevant to our experience... one from her mission on Tallon IV, written by those who've waited longer than any of us:
Entrusted One said:
So many creatures suffer beneath the blight upon the land, and we Chozo are no exception. But for all of our pain, we can at least believe in the promise of the future. We have come to believe that a time may never come when we can once again open the door and banish the darkness we've contained. Even so, our vigilance will forever remain. We believe that on some far-off day, a savior will come and continue what we have begun. For that savior, we will leave our ancient weapons and armor--the soul who can gather them will be the Entrusted One, the only being who can reverse the evil that grows here.
They trusted the process for decades, and their faith was rewarded when their prophesied hero finally appeared.

The Chozo of Tallon IV found it within themselves to believe in a savior who had yet to be even born. I think we should follow their example and wait a little longer for Metroid Prime 4. Onward we march. Conviction is everything. Trust the process.

(Samus also thinks Super Mario RPG remake is looking good, btw.)
52676314239_3dcded3ab1_o.png

Two Metroid Prime games in the same year was always a stretch. I voted to be optimistic but even if it was shown today it was definitely a 2024 game.

It just feels like too much of a Switch 2 showcase game now even if it’s somehow cross gen. The longer it’s not shown the more they’d be crazy not to do it.

I've just received a transmission from Samus Aran herself. She's an extremely busy person, but I was privileged enough to be graced by her momentary presence, and she bestowed upon me some reassuring sentiment to share with you all.

First off, Samus is honored to have so many people invested in the next chapter of her career. She said I should congratulate #TeamDoubt on their understandable, well-placed reservations, and that #TeamProcess is never wrong to believe, but that it's also important to remember that conviction in one's beliefs is never a guarantee of certain events occurring when one expects them to. Indeed, Samus trusts a process greater than any: that of the Chozo. She wanted me to share with you one of her Logbook entries that she found particularly relevant to our experience... one from her mission on Tallon IV, written by those who've waited longer than any of us:

They trusted the process for decades, and their faith was rewarded when their prophesied hero finally appeared.

The Chozo of Tallon IV found it within themselves to believe in a savior who had yet to be even born. I think we should follow their example and wait a little longer for Metroid Prime 4. Onward we march. Conviction is everything. Trust the process.

(Samus also thinks Super Mario RPG remake is looking good, btw.)

Thank you Samus for your reassurance.

At this point you'd have to be coping HARD if you dont believe this isnt a crossgen game, period.

Anyway, now the 2017 announcement video has a chance of hitting 4 million views.

June, September, February — what's the big difference. It's been six years, what's another six?

It’s too the point now that if it’s a 2024 game I’d much rather it be cross gen or a Switch 2 game at this point.
Even it's going to have a Switch 2 version it's probably gonna have some mild upgrades, it would still be regular Switch game at its core.
I'd just hope for the next game to be build from the ground up.

It will at least be crossgen, they're not gonna ignore the Switch install base with this game. Imagine not being able to play the game because Switch 2's are sold out everywhere for the first two years.

I still think it's going to come out for OG Switch first and then will have a next-gen upgrade.

Crossgen or worse Successor exclusive won't do the game any good.
Switch 2 is probably gonna be backwards compatible.
Maybe it'll play exactly the same on both consoles, maybe it's gonna get an FPS boost or resolution bump, but judging by Prime 1 I think it's already gonna look great on the regular Switch.
At its core it's gonna be the same game, build for the current Switch.

Like, of course they could pivot now and try to incorporate more features of the next Switch, but would delay the game even more probably and make the current gen version suffer.

I just want a perfectly polished game, with no "what ifs".

Prime 1 Remastered made me a believer again, Retro are wizards.

Last edited:
Clearly this is their major release for early 2024, plus smaller games like F-Zero remake and the Peach game. Then 3D Mario for Switch 2 launch in H2. Dunno where Mario Kart would fall.

September Direct is fewer than 3 months away.

Last edited:
This.

It's almost as if when you build a game from the ground up for a system you can go all out with it and achieve things 3rd partys may not be able to. 👀
Which is fine if they get it out now, but they haven’t shown it yet. I don’t want it to be some 2025 last gen release on Switch 1 hardware at that point.

Not once did I expect Prime 4 to release this year, but on January 1st 2023 I figured we were guaranteed to at least see it this year.

C’mon September, be a good month. Don’t be the month that kids go back to school, be the month that we see Metroid Prime 4!!!!

when will the suffering end
I actually feel great today, even despite no Metroid Prime 4! I can't be suffering when Dread and Prime Remastered exist. I awaited both for years, much like with this game. The wait just builds the hype and creates even more excitement. Retro is gonna blow us away.

I know some Metroid fans are growing increasingly upset (mostly outside of Fami, thankfully!), and their doomer old person energy is disheartening stuff, to be sure. As for me, the process continues.

(It matters not that you were mistaken about Prime 4's appearance on this particular occasion btw, Lukas. Your conviction is still meaningful, and your positive energy is unmatched!)

Crossposting from the Direct thread:

I know this is "famous last words" territory, but I think there is genuinely a 95% chance Metroid Prime 4 is in the September Direct. Nintendo could've held onto Metroid Prime Remastered for even longer if they had no plans to re-reveal MP4 this year.

Today's Direct was always going to be a coin toss because its appearance was dependent on its internal release window. If Nintendo is confident MP4 will release within the first half of 2024 (which seems reasonable going by Nate's speculation), then they'll most likely re-reveal it with at least a teaser in September, then prepare for an info blowout in February 2024.

The only way they save MP4 for a 2024 Direct is if it's releasing in H2 2024, imo, which doesn't feel likely at this time. They're going to give MP4 the white whale treatment and prime positioning in the release calendar a la TotK - May or June 2024 at the absolute latest is my guess. So, assuming the game will release between March-June 2024, we're looking at a 6-9 month reveal-to-release window.

Yeah, I'm thinking it's gonna be shown at the September Direct with a May 2024 release date.

But I don't rule out it being like Bayonetta 3, being re-revealed this September and releasing Fall 2024.

People keep saying September but that direct tends to cater to the Tokyo Game SHow crowd hence why there were so many farming sims in last years direct. If i was betting man then i would bank on Fire Emblem Remake being the closer for the September direct

People keep saying September but that direct tends to cater to the Tokyo Game SHow crowd hence why there were so many farming sims in last years direct. If i was betting man then i would bank on Fire Emblem Remake being the closer for the September direct
Honestly I wonder if the FE4 remake could be Switch 2 launch adjacent - something to cater to a different audience than 3D Mario or whatever. If just seems a lot of FE in such a short time span for Switch.

Honestly I wonder if the FE4 remake could be Switch 2 launch adjacent - something to cater to a different audience than 3D Mario or whatever. If just seems a lot of FE in such a short time span for Switch.

Fates and Echoes released a year apart on 3DS in the west. Hell, Sacred Stones and Path of Radiance were less than a year apart back in the day.

They know how to pump out those Fire Emblem games sin offs included lol but yeah that would be wise to have Fire Emblem remake and Super Mario as launch titles, along with Metroid Prime 4 since it too caters to a different audience

Fates and Echoes released a year apart on 3DS in the west. Hell, Sacred Stones and Path of Radiance were less than a year apart back in the day.
Yeah but those were shorter dev times and there was less concern about having software gaps. I’m just thinking about Nintendo blowing a ton of their flagship titles on a console in its last year and curious how the schedule will shake out.

FE4, Prime 4, and a 3D Mario in the Switch 2's launch window would be an S-tier launch. I still think those first two come out the first half of 2024 for Switch if Switch 2 isn't until Holiday 2024.

My heart sank for Metroid when Pokemon DLC opened the show as at that point Mario had to be the closer. Disappointed with today’s outcome, but I was happy to see two 2024 games announced. Between that and the rumored no show games I think we have a good chance of a longer period before Switch 2 in 2024 where this will cleanly release. Today’s outcome did raise the likelihood Prime 4 could be a cross gen launch title which is its own flavor of fun and would certainly help raise awareness for the game.

So yeah bummed this year is off the table for playing it, but I’m still hopeful we’ll see it in September.

Back
Top Bottom