• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Spoiler Metroid Dread Spoiler/Story thread (OPEN SPOILERS)

im a bit disappointed we didn't end up fighting any x infected central units, that would have been cool

and im convinced kraid x was originally intended to be a boss fight, most likely got axed somewhere in development
im very curious if kraid will show up in prime 4, its weird he almost made it into prime 1, and then they just never revisited the idea

and im convinced kraid x was originally intended to be a boss fight, most likely got axed somewhere in development
im very curious if kraid will show up in prime 4, its weird he almost made it into prime 1, and then they just never revisited the idea
Yeah it's pretty weird that they made a whole model and animations for what's effectively a 5 second cutscene.

ixgeeva0wut71.png

The only real complaint I have is the music wasn’t very memorable, but this may just be a MerSteam complaint because I wasn’t too fond of their OSTs for the Lords of Shadow games either.
Very late reply but the composers are actually from Nintendo, quite new composers to the industry it seems. Soshi Abe joined the industry at Nintendo in 2017 and first worked on the BOTW expansion pass and Sayako Doi joined the industry at Nintendo in 2019 and first worked on Super Mario Maker 2.

How is it explained why kraid is even in this place? Chozo captured him and imprisoned?
Given that this is like the fifth individual Kraid and there's a Draygon in a big vat in the background of Dairon, my guess is that the Mawkin Chozo actually grew/created Kraid in the first place

Last edited:
Ending sequence was nuts. Metroid-Samus was dope as hell, a bit of a shame we didn't get a proper boss fight using that design... Maybe DLC?

I wonder where the series will go next. Fusion had the entire plot thread about the Galactic Federation potentially wanting to hunt Samus for ruining their plans so maybe that's next.

even if it was brief, im sooo glad samus speaks in this game, that scene with quiet robe was great i was afraid after other m they would make her completely mute.

finished my 100% percent run, the cloaked figure in one of the unlockable arts is definitely a tease for metroid 6.
also, its interesting that there are chozo spaceships in the background of hanubia, but the infected chozo chose to stay and fight samus instead of escaping, shows that they are very resistant to being infected by the x

Can I just chime in here, after beating the game 5 minutes ago, that it is freaking awesome, that Samus is a Metroid?
This is such a satisfying conclusion to the arc and now you can make funny responses to the people that say that Metroid is the protagonist, lol.

I really enjoyed the story/lore of this game and it is definitely my favorite from the 2D ones I played. What a ride.

even if it was brief, im sooo glad samus speaks in this game, that scene with quiet robe was great i was afraid after other m they would make her completely mute.

That is probably my favourite moment in the game and I love that she only talks there, it felt so powerful because of that. And I love that she spoke in the language of the Chozo and not in ours.

Is it possible to do a hard run under 4 hours without sequence breaking?
Very likely, yes. I did a normal run with minimal sequence breaking in under 3 hours, hard really isn't any harder than normal if you're decent at dodging attacks. All it does is make enemies hit a bit harder.

Very likely, yes. I did a normal run with minimal sequence breaking in under 3 hours, hard really isn't any harder than normal if you're decent at dodging attacks. All it does is make enemies hit a bit harder.

I was able to do a hard run without sequence breaking clocked in at 3 hours 12 minutes. (though I did shinespark three bosses)
Thanks!
Which bosses?

Does the time reset when you die at a boss or does the clock still run?

Last edited:
Escue, Experiment No. Z-57, and Golzuna.

I'm actually not sure if the time resets if you die. 🤔
You can shinespark Escue?

That's wonderful to hear, I'm going to do that next time I see it. Can you do it while its electric barrier is up?

One question I had while playing the game... was it ever established before that Samus has Chozo DNA? Like, in any other game?

One question I had while playing the game... was it ever established before that Samus has Chozo DNA? Like, in any other game?
Not sure if it was in a game but I'm pretty sure there was a manga way back when that established that. She needed Chozo DNA to operate the suit or something.

I remember once hearing about people playing Smash and referring to Samus as "that robot guy Metroid" -- the funny thing is that if anyone still does that, they aren't wrong about the Metroid part.

Some, possibly, controversial opinions I have:
  • Diggernaught is still the best 2D Metroid boss
  • Fusion is harder
  • The bosses are too dependent on learning patterns, but still great
  • Ridley not even being mentioned is surprising but very welcomed
Love this game. GotY probably. For me, I think the decisions will come down to this and Hitman 3...two games that are polar opposites lol.

They moved the series forward in great ways, and managed to make a fantastic 2D metroid. Would like to see MS make great strides in evolving the series further by making a 3D entry, or changing things up. Or both lol.

Each of the prime games had different suits, and abilities, and I'd like to see 2D Metroid make similar jumps, at least. The same pool of powers could use an update imo. Cut like half of them, and introduce a new half.

This game was so impressive. I'm so glad we got another one of these games. I already am hungry for another. Besides Hollow Knight, I cant think of any Indie metroidvania that stands close to this. Qualities that Indie devs usually trounce AAA games on like creativity, controls, art direction, are things Metroid just does better.

I’m actually kind of disappointed Raven Beak was killed off this game, easily my favourite Metroid villain.

His impersonation of Adam for the whole game works really well to flesh out his character. Love every time he starts going ‘damn that Raven Beak sure is shredded, I hear he’s absolutely jacked, you sure don’t stand a chance’ like the most powerful warlord of an ancient intergalactic race is also some trolling internet shitposter.

I also wonder if all the times NotAdam pretends to wonder why Raven Beak didn’t kill Samus outright was his attempts to condition her into being dependant on him. Like the only reason she’s still alive is by the grace of Raven Beak, making her easier to control once she awakens her powers. Might be reading too much into it, but I do feel that this fits his motives and personality.

Also while the twist got me good, I imagine Samus would probably have known something was up from the start when Adam didn’t call her ‘Lady’.

I’m actually kind of disappointed Raven Beak was killed off this game, easily my favourite Metroid villain.

He claims he can clone Samus and everyone loves when a long dead villain comes back because they cloned themselves so maybe he'll be back. He could say something like "Silly child, the me you destroyed was only at 10% of my true power"

Something I've been wondering - was Quiet Robe's final act a means of giving Samus some semblance of control over her Metroid abilities, or was this Sakamoto's way of putting Samus back to normal and keeping this plot point as a one-off? I don't think we can really tell from what we were given in the game; we'll have to wait for an interview or quite possibly the next game (hopefully sooner rather than later!).

Hell, maybe he hasn't decided himself yet and kept it vague so he could decide later.

I wouldn't have minded this - if it was all we saw Quiet Robe-X do. But taken in conjunction with him reactivating the E.M.M.I., I don't like it, even if he was echoing his final words to Samus as he did so. Why was he acting against her then, but not at the end? It doesn't make sense.

On one hand, I agree with these points. But again, reactivating the E.M.M.I goes against this. What would drive him to do so? All they're doing is hunting Samus. That moment struck me as the X continuing to fear Samus, as they had previously in Fusion - where they also demonstrated remarkable cunning and an almost hive-mind like level of coordination. It wouldn't surprise me to see the X collectively try to eliminate the only real threat to them by activating the E.M.M.I.

So why does Quiet Robe-X do this, only to sacrifice itself for Samus later? Is it working against her or not?
Raven Beak stated that the Totha tribe, witch is Quiet Robe‘s tribe, can control Metroids. I don’t especially know if it has anything to do with the X but that’s probably why she is able to restore her « normal » self after absorbing his X.

Anyone want to take a guess what power-up Z57's Core-X contained?
or Kraid-ven Beak for that matter?
Also during the escape sequence I was to busy spamming the hyper beam to realise Samus killed enemies by walking into them damn

(repost from ST despoiler tagged)

Not sure if it was in a game but I'm pretty sure there was a manga way back when that established that. She needed Chozo DNA to operate the suit or something.
She required Chozo DNA infusion to survive on Zebes with the Chozo, who were the ones to raise her after having found Samus as the only lone survivor of a Space Pirate attack.

Also during the escape sequence I was to busy spamming the hyper beam to realise Samus killed enemies by walking into them damn

Well obviously nothing because you cant get it but it would have been cool if you pressed grapple during it you could latch the core and get a secret ability

Spider ball or something that makes getting around a bit different/quicker but didn't change the flow all that much, or just a stronger beam, I'm clearly not very imaginative

I'm guessing the ability to quickly regenerate your fingernails since that's what Kraid had.

Well obviously nothing because you cant get it but it would have been cool if you pressed grapple during it you could latch the core and get a secret ability

Spider ball or something that makes getting around a bit different/quicker but didn't change the flow all that much, or just a stronger beam, I'm clearly not very imaginative
A longer shinespark charge would have been a neat little extra. Spider ball would be a great thing for those harder to reach power ups too. Maybe even boost ball, the morph ball felt a little slow at times.
I'm guessing the ability to quickly regenerate your fingernails since that's what Kraid had.
xD well done

As fucking hilarious as it is that Raven Beak was going all "Boy that Raven Beak sure is swole AF. He's such a badass, he'll fold you again if you fight" through ADAM, he wasn't really lying.

Like, dude's a unit. Even in the final battle, Samus would have lost if she didn't go full Metroid. Also the very fact that he's even capable of standing at all after taking that ship destroying cataclysmic SUCC to his face, instead of turning into a shriveled husk, really tells you how much of an absolute unit he was.

Also, before that, he manage to contain X-Parasite outbreak all by himself and he doesn't even have Samus' immunity or anything.

Dude's a beast.

No, I'm not Raven Beak posting that through Sander RX's Famiboard account.

Anyone here have any idea why the Quiet Robe X helped Samus at the end by letting her absorb it?

I honestly don’t get how what amounts to feeding itself to her reverted Samus back to Gravity Suit, but that is another matter.

Why did the X do that?

At first I thought that the natural antagonism towards Metroids, combined with reasoning provided by Quiet Robe’s superior intellect, drove it to sacrifice itself to at least temporarily lessen the power and stop the awakening of what likely is the ultimate Metroid, but… wouldn’t letting her blow up with the planet be a better choice?

Did Quiet Robe’s mind somehow overtake consciousness of the X? Doesn’t seem likely when its first act was to reactivate the EMMIs.

Another possibility is that it can somehow survive absorption into Samus’ Metroid suit and is pretty much hitching an escape ride, but that doesn’t jive with how we’ve seen Samus metroidness interact with them before.

Last edited:
Anyone here have any idea why the Quiet Robe X helped Samus at the end by letting her absorb it?

I honestly don’t get how what amounts to feeding itself to her reverted Samus back to Gravity Suit, but that is another matter.

Why did the X do that?

At first I thought that the natural antagonism towards Metroids, combined with reasoning provided by Quiet Robe’s superior intellect, drove it to sacrifice itself to at least temporarily lessen the power and stop the awakening of what is likely is the ultimate Metroid, but… wouldn’t letting her blow up with the planet be a better choice?

Did Quiet Robe’s mind somehow overtake consciousness of the X? Doesn’t seem likely when its first act was to reactivate the EMMIs.

Another possibility is that it can somehow survive absorption into Samus’ Metroid suit and is pretty much hitching an escape ride, but that doesn’t jive with how we’ve seen Samus metroidness interact with them before.
My take is, he's a Thoha and the x knew that. Thoha can control the metroids so presumably it thought it could exist on in Samus controlling her metroid powers.

Whether or not that's case or both metroid powers and x control of it are gone is up to the plot of the next game I guess.

I read it that upon initial assimilation, the X was able to read QR's memories, ascertain real quick that "Samus = Threat" and acted instinctively for the sake of self-preservation and that of its kind.

However, by the game's end, QR's influence won out enough that he reasserted control of his corpse and wanted to help Samus out one last time as a means of "making amends".

I imagine since at least Sakamoto is aware of things going on with the Prime side of things, he looked to how some of the Tallon IV Chozo could deal with Phazon corruption as an idea for how perhaps a spiritually-enlightened Chozo could deal with being taken over by an X.

“DNA” is to the Metroid franchise what “nanomachines” is to the Metal Gear franchise.
Amended to make it more true.

After all, that's been effectively true ever since it was established that Samus was injected with Chozo DNA in the first place. Then Fusion and Prime each added on their own takes on what happens when a Chozo-Human hybrid adapts Metroid DNA, while a Metroid adapts Chozo-Human DNA.

Samus's DNA is such a mess. In addition to the Chozo-Human-Metroid-X DNA floating around in her, she has also been significantly exposed to Phazon and Aeion Energy, which can't be good for avoiding DNA mutations. Heck, in Corruption, it was so bad that her body was literally producing its own Phazon.

Just finished the game and really enjoyed the ending, despite the three stage fight lasting longer than I personally would've liked. But man, that ending felt somewhat of a cop-out to me. Would've loved it if it resulted in a Hunters-esq sequel where literally everyone and their mother was out for Samus as she tried to find a way to cure herself. But alas, it is what it is.

On another note, how does one get the five remaining artworks? I just the first one, but the others are still locked. I take it they're behind Hard Mode and a certain time limit?

Just finished the game and really enjoyed the ending, despite the three stage fight lasting longer than I personally would've liked. But man, that ending felt somewhat of a cop-out to me. Would've loved it if it resulted in a Hunters-esq sequel where literally everyone and their mother was out for Samus as she tried to find a way to cure herself. But alas, it is what it is.

On another note, how does one get the five remaining artworks? I just the first one, but the others are still locked. I take it they're behind Hard Mode and a certain time limit?
Yeah, under 4 hours normal and hard unlocks them all.

And the other section is done by finding 100% of items in the various areas.

Current world record is 2.55.32 for a 100% hard mode run so you could do most of them in one go 😉

When I look at this gif, all I remember that time when a era member called it sexualized by retro studios and 2 members went back in forth (in hour gaps) arguing weather that scene was sexualized or not lol.

That was funny.
If the camera was behind her maybe, but I think I'd still be more distracted by her hair. It's possible chozo dna stiffens it like that.

Back
Top Bottom