• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

News Metaphor: ReFantazio announced by Atlus, releasing on Oct 11th [Read Staff Post]

Finally watched the whole thing, and I am really excited to play this... however I do think I'll wait for Switch 2. I am currently really trying to focus on my backlog of games I missed over the years... including the entire Xenoblade series (playing 1), returned to Pokemon for the first time since Black with Violet, Paper Mario TTYD first time ever soon, Persona 5 is on my list also for later this year... breaking this habit of day 1 games and FOMO is hard but probably for the best!

If it means anything, I believe SMTV:V is going to be the last time a rerelease like this that happen. Midori slightly confirmed it, but generally Atlus seems to be moving away from the "enhanced rerelease" thing.

If true, it's a very good news :)

I'm really excited about Metaphor, but I'll wait for the Super Switch version.

What exactly am I seeing when I see what looks like action gameplay? Is that just how the turnbased combat is presented?
You can mop up weaker enemies through action combat, not exactly a new concept to jrpgs but they fleshed it out a bit more here.

You can mop up weaker enemies through action combat, not exactly a new concept to jrpgs but they fleshed it out a bit more here.
It’s a cool way to streamline lower level encounters without just auto-winning like with Ryuji’s ability in P5. I really like the idea

Last edited:
Not if you are good enough at designing turn based systems to make the encounters fun.

But I guess that’s too hard for P Studio so they can waste years on an action system instead, lol.
Their approach to turn based system is the most fun system ever (for me) but it still becomes tedious to grind in fights that are not stimulating

Not if you are good enough at designing turn based systems to make the encounters fun.

But I guess that’s too hard for P Studio so they can waste years on an action system instead, lol.
Even the best turn based combat systems get grindy and tedious with low level encounters. There’s a reason why streamlining such battles has become a fairly commonplace QoL feature.

Action combat is a neat way to go about that problem. I think it was well worth the effort, although I highly doubt they “wasted years” on it.

So excited for both Metaphor ReFantazio and Shin Megami Tensei V Vengeance, man what an amazing year for jRPGs! The focus on a more mature, political, philosophical and fantasy settings is looking great. I definitely missed the mature/darker themes and atmosphere of the older games... Really getting tired of the usual teenager party members and school settings haha, not against it but its time for something different. Catherine was also a pretty fun and different/interesting new IP they created with adult and relatable characters!

Combat looks quick and pretty fun, love to see that its hybrid between real time and turn based

I feel like assets need anti-aliasing or something, reminds me of some KoeiTecmo games like Fire Emblem Three Houses (Persona 5 Strikers included) that had weird/rough lines for all character models. Looks a bit weird IMO. Loving the atmosphere, art and most importantly more mature setting and cast though!

Outside of the name of this game and the battle theme - I really like almost everything I've seen with this game.
It's a bit weird to me we've seen so much of it and it's almost 6 months out.

A very old quality of life trick in the RPG game is not the sign of being bad at designing encounters what in the world are you talking about

Also in what world did they spend years designing an action system?

Yeah I have to say, for all the stuff I criticise Atlus for, turn-based combat systems isn’t one of them, and I mainly play turn-based games.

Game just looks better and better, I'm pretty pumped for this

I'm just hoping the story is at least decent. At bare minimum, the combat and gameplay loop are bound to be aces

I'm genuinely curious what RPG you think handles this better. Having played a number of RPGs, the only handlings of this dilemma I've really loved are Earthbound (instant win!) and TOK (smash em and they be gone).

Back
Top Bottom