• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Marvel's Spider-Man 2 |ST| Back in Black

Red Monster

Professional Conversationalist
Founder
Pronouns
He/Him
MSM2-Story-Duo-4k-Legal-2023-3.jpg

Release Date: October 20, 2023
Platform: PlayStation 5
Publisher: Sony Interactive Entertainment
Developer: Insomniac Games
Genre: Action-Adventure
Price: $69.99

Download Size: 98GB

Peter Parker and Miles Morales are New York's two Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Men. Juggling the needs of work, school, their personal lives, and full-time hero work is hard enough, but when Kraven the Hunter, the Sandman and more descend on the city, Peter and Miles are going to have to team up to take them down. Peter receives a power boost from a strange black substance, but does he really know what he's doing? Explore a huge open world New York City, including Manhattan, Brooklyn and Queens, freely switching between Peter and Miles at any time. Gain experience from missions and combat and level up each Spider-Man's powers and hi-tech gadgets with their all-new skill trees. Take on some of Spider-Man's most iconic villains. Can you save NYC?

Reviews
MC 90
OC 91

Marvels-Spider-Man2-1-768x432.jpg

4143205-screenshot2023-05-25at8-42-51am.png

AA1bEtQE.jpg

Trailers

Reveal Trailer

Gameplay Reveal

Launch trailer

Graphics Modes

4K 30FPS Fidelity Mode
4K 40FPS Performance Mode
4K 60FPS Performance Mode

All graphics modes feature ray tracing and support 120 Hz and VRR

Special Edition PS5 Console

WCCFspiderman2ps5.jpg

Last edited:
Mario Wonder has priority, but I can't wait to play Spider-Man 2 too! Thanks for the cool ST Red Monster :)

Finished Starfield just in time for this. Gonna be juggling Mario and Alan Wake as well but getting through this will be priority #1.

Aww yeah, can't wait! Since I'm weird I'm gonna start playing the game without the day one patch to see how well they did with the version on disc.

Excited for this, annoyingly the store I was going to buy this from haven’t got any stock in yet so I won’t be able to play on launch day. Hopefully I won’t be waiting too long haha.

I won't get to start this until Tuesday since I'll be out of town, but I'm pretty excited. Love me some Spidey.

I haven’t decided if I’m gonna get a physical copy or not. I would like to have it, but I don’t have one preordered and I don’t wanna have to go out to a store tomorrow. Plus I’d have to wait for the install.. buying physical means I probably won’t get to play tomorrow night. Digital might be the way to go I guess. That way I can get it preloaded today and be ready to go.

Awesome ST!! Got both this and Mario preloaded and just sitting there lol it's going to be a good weekend! I was quite mixed on the first game whereas I absolutely adored Miles Morales so I'm just crossing my fingers I gel with it the way I did there haha the comic is kind of the pits rn so even just getting a good story with Peter will be really good.

I am HYPED for this.
Got it all preloaded and ready to go, it comes out pretty late my time, but I'll try and get atleast one hour in today.

I've been getting myself ready properly in the meantime: I rewatched the Alien Costume/Venom episodes of Spider-Man the Animated Series, skimmed through Spider-Man 3, and I did a quick runthrough of Ultimate Spider-Man on the DS. Last night I even whipped out the ol' Gamecube and swung around the OG Spider-Man 2 for a bit, so I couldnt be more ready to finally jump in.

My Spidey senses are tingiling in all the right ways.

I'm excited to check this out this weekend, the reviews are really glowing.

My wife is thinking about taking a rare day off work to play this.

I haven’t decided if I’m gonna get a physical copy or not. I would like to have it, but I don’t have one preordered and I don’t wanna have to go out to a store tomorrow. Plus I’d have to wait for the install.. buying physical means I probably won’t get to play tomorrow night. Digital might be the way to go I guess. That way I can get it preloaded today and be ready to go.

Sounds like you made your decision, go digital! I'm getting physical through the PlayStation Direct site. Last year with GOW Ragnarok it was delivered on release day, so hopefully they can pull it off again this year with Spidey 2.

Probably won’t get to this for a week or so due to Mario, but I’m excited to dive in right after that.

I’m all downloaded and ready to go for tomorrow! I came down with a cold today (again..) so maybe I’ll just stay home tomorrow and play some spidey.

Does this have dynamic weather systems/proper day and night cycle this time round or is it all still set based on where you are at in the story?

Was going to play this and Mario Wonder today, but because I got Mario for free through airmiles and have to wait for them to ship, guess I'm going all in for Spider-Man 2.

I can't wait. Spider-Man 1 and Miles Morales are my favorite Sony 1st party games, and a big reason why I wanted a PS4/5 to begin with. Gonna be a good night.

Loving it so far (and I had a bit of time with Spider-Man Remastered for a few days before launch just to get back into the combat etc...), will get to Mario Wonder soon but wanted to get Spider-Man 2 done first so the story didn't get ruined for me as have avoided most spoilers so far (think
Sandman
intro was the only thing I got spoiled on)

Last edited:
Loving it so far (and I had a bit of time with Spider-Man Remastered for a few days before launch just to get back into the combat etc...), will get to Mario Wonder soon but wanted to get Spider-Man 2 done first so the story didn't get ruined for me as have avoided most spoilers so far (think […] intro was the only thing I got spoiled on)
...welp, i guess i know what the first fight is

Last edited:
I'm so jealous at y'all who can play this. Have fun all!

Oh man. Oh man. That is one heck of an opening. I know Insomniac are wizards, but that one moment was something else.

suit spoiler

The Moon Knight Spidey suit is in this game! Moon Knight is far and away my favorite super hero. This rocks!

i donno if it was in the first game because i didn’t even look at the suits then, but I am stoked

oh shit im sorry!
don’t sweat it pal 😅

that fight was nuts, by the way. Easily the best opening sequence in the entire series. The moment when Miles got punched halfway across the city my jaw hit the floor.

From the very first opening cutscene I was saying "wtf" cause Norman seems to have full control of the symbiote? That's how he got Harry in the tube to begin with. The possible implications......

Can't wait to dive back in.

Also turning the swing assist in the accessibility window all the way down to zero pretty much puts the swinging style in 2004 Spiderman 2 and I think that's really, really cool.

From the very first opening cutscene I was saying "wtf" cause Norman seems to have full control of the symbiote? That's how he got Harry in the tube to begin with. The possible implications......

Can't wait to dive back in.

Also turning the swing assist in the accessibility window all the way down to zero pretty much puts the swinging style in 2004 Spiderman 2 and I think that's really, really cool.
yeah...
not sure if thats meant to be a nightmare Harry is having in the tank or what actually happened but we will see (obviously Norman would have given him the symbiote but idk if he was actually controlling the symbiote or not at that point, but my prediction was that Norman would be the final Venom

Early impressions: it's more Spider-man, which is great! It doesn't have quite the "holy shit, I'm Spider-man" factor of the first game, or the "oh neat, Miles plays a bit different" factor of the second, but it definitely feels like they've perfected the formula gameplay-wise. Story-wise, I'm finding it takes a bit too long to get going, to be honest.

But none of that is what you came yo read: you're all after my nitpicks of the NYC map!

As excited as I was to hear they were expanding the game into Brooklyn and Queens, I don't feel like they've done the two boroughs particularly well. Obviously, condensing NYC into a video game world map is a tough ask, but I feel like Insomniac's Manhattan does a really excellent job condensing it down while still being recognizable. I had moments in the first game like "Holy shit, it's Central Park! Holy shit, it's Columbus Circle! Hmm, how am in Times Square already?" But the last part of that wasn't a big deal - obviously they need to abbreviate a little, and the parts they've included are recognizable and in the approximate right location.

The same really can't be said of Brooklyn, unfortunately. It just doesn't feel like Brooklyn - there's too many skyscrapers, the streets are in the wrong spots, Williamsburg is half of the borough for some reason - and even the parts they do get right feel a bit off. For instance, Grand Army Plaza looks like they picked up the iconic arch and just put it somewhere it doesn't belong; right next to it is Prospect Park, which doesn't look like Prospect Park (or really, any park) at all. I haven't spent much time in Queens yet but I wouldn't be surprised if a similar thing was true.

I know this is a super minor complaint, and to be clear it's not going to ruin my enjoyment of the game at all. It's just a shame to me personally since for a while now I've been really looking forward to see whether Insomniac could do justice to the boroughs the way it had Manhattan, and the answer is... not really.

I’m officially sucked in. I’m seriously impressed here. The set pieces, the side missions, even the random crimes have all taken a big leap forward. Everything feels better. Everything looks better. The new mobility upgrades are game-changing. Having three skill trees is overwhelming in the best way. The new parry ability changes up the combat in just the right way. I didn’t want to stop playing tonight. And I can’t wait till I can play again.

I'm going to give this a go at some point, I really enjoyed the first and also MM, but I don't think they're as good as the Arkham games. One thing that's going to be hard for me is to ignore most of the open world stuff. I'm a completionist by nature but trying to focus on just doing the stuff I find fun in games, and not wasting time with things I don't.

I still need to play the first Spider-Man. Weird thing is, super hero stuff usually doesn't interest me in games. TV and movies, sure. But games, I largely have no interested. I did play some of the Arkham games and though they were fun, but never finished them. The Spider-man games look fun and swinging around NY looks thrilling but because they are super hero games, they usually get pushed towards the end of my "maybe I'll play" mental list.

I'm going to give this a go at some point, I really enjoyed the first and also MM, but I don't think they're as good as the Arkham games. One thing that's going to be hard for me is to ignore most of the open world stuff. I'm a completionist by nature but trying to focus on just doing the stuff I find fun in games, and not wasting time with things I don't.
fwiw, I’m finding the side stuff to be much more enjoyable this time than in the first game or MM. ymmv, but I know for me, I’m having a lot of fun doing side missions and even random crimes, even to the point of putting off doing a main mission because I’m having such a good time. That definitely wasn’t the case in the first two games, especially in MM where I mainlined the main story in seven hours. In this new one, I’m about six hours in and I’ve only done three or four main story missions so far.

Yeah, I’m enjoying this a lot more as I play it, I wasn’t 100% sold on it at first but it’s clicking with me more now. It is quite glitchy though, had issues with wrong subtitles coming up during cut scenes and random scenery floating in mid air.

Harry actually becoming a vigilante with Spider-Man, and rocking an Agent Venom-like suit was sooooo fucking hype. And he was so stylish, so cold, so awesome !! Dude was being a super-hero for the first time of his life, and he was so confident, so efficient, and so bombastic, I loved it ! We've all guessed he'll be this game's Venom (unless the game does a final twist in its last third), but I would looove if he regains fully control and stays an Agent Venom like that, and joins the Spider-gang. And this would allow for somthing similar to symbiote Spider-Man to still be playable in the sequel, cause honestly I much rather enjoy the symbiote special abilities than the spider-arms abilities (I've never been much of a fan of the Iron Spider concept, beyond the initial "holy that's a cool costume" reaction I had while reading Civil War and the Straczinsky's Amazing Spider-Man run back then.)

Oh, and a bit disappointed that Mysterio is only side content. He's one of my favorite Spidey villains, when he was teased in trailers I was expecting him to be a main story villain like how Kingpin, Vulture, Scorpion, Rhino and Electro were in the first game. Or even just Shocker, a quick encounter in a main mission and the dude goes straight to jail after that. And he's seemingly a good guy now (SEEMINGLY, it's Mysterio after all, won't be surprised if it happens to be a way to take out Spider-Man by surprise at the end)

Last edited:
I think it'd be cool if guys like Moon Knight, Daredevil, Luke Cage, etc would show up during random crimes like the Spider-Man you aren't playing as

fwiw, I’m finding the side stuff to be much more enjoyable this time than in the first game or MM. ymmv, but I know for me, I’m having a lot of fun doing side missions and even random crimes, even to the point of putting off doing a main mission because I’m having such a good time. That definitely wasn’t the case in the first two games, especially in MM where I mainlined the main story in seven hours. In this new one, I’m about six hours in and I’ve only done three or four main story missions so far.
Yeah it's much, much better cause it's not as long and tiresome as in the first game and Mile Morales. Doing a bunch of random crimes isn't mandatory anymore for 100%ing a neighborhood anymore, the side gigs aren't as annoyingly long (no more 5 waves of ennemies to defeat in an ennemy base, each waves consiting of like 20 ennemies lol), and it's honestly much more diverse. Oh, and no side objectives such as "do x attack 10 times during this mission, defeat 10 ennemies with sneaky attacks" that locks you out of all the collectibles if you fail it, or no more missions with ranks. Meaning you just have to finish all the content without worrying about your performance in it. Side objectives are just there for random crimes, and they just give you 100 bonus xp points.

The crimes being an optional way to just get more tech parts is great, yeah. Works so much better.

The lack of Ubisoft towers is also refreshing. I’m not a hater of them, especially when they’re implemented in an interesting way. But forcing you to actual swing around and explore to find points of interest is satisfying.

yeah...
not sure if thats meant to be a nightmare Harry is having in the tank or what actually happened but we will see (obviously Norman would have given him the symbiote but idk if he was actually controlling the symbiote or not at that point, but my prediction was that Norman would be the final Venom
I would be a bit mad if Norman happens to become Venom, after all the Green Goblin teases in the first game, between all the green that Norman is wearing, and mostly all the Green Goblin techs being already conceptualized by Norman that we can see during MJ's mission in Norman's penthouse (the glider, the bombs, the armor...)
And Norman's Green Goblin is Spider-Man's arch nemesis, and my personal favorite super villain ever, along with Dr Doom, so I would be really disappointed if Norman becomes Venom, and that the Green Goblin is actually Harry in the sequel or something like that. I think Harry becoming Venom is just naturally where the story is going.

Oh, and a bit disappointed that Mysterio is only side content. He's one of my favorite Spidey villains, when he was teased in trailers I was expecting him to be a main story villain like how Kingpin, Vulture, Scorpion, Rhino and Electro were in the first game. Or even just Shocker, a quick encounter in a main mission and the dude goes straight to jail after that. And he's seemingly a good guy now (SEEMINGLY, it's Mysterio after all, won't be surprised if it happens to be a way to take out Spider-Man by surprise at the end)
I think one my only dissapointments with this game is that the Mysterio quest is locked to Miles only. He's one my favorite villians and I was really love the missions in the game with him, just wish I had the choice to do them as Peter to recreate shots and the feeling from the OG Spider-Man 2 game.

It's not really a big deal, but it was odd that unlike the Prowler or Museum quests, there was nothing story wise connected to Miles here that could have stopped it from being possible to play as both in this situation.

I think it'd be cool if guys like Moon Knight, Daredevil, Luke Cage, etc would show up during random crimes like the Spider-Man you aren't playing as
Moon Knight, Daredevil, and Spider-Man all in one game. My three favorite super heroes. I think I would die.

I’m officially sucked in. I’m seriously impressed here. The set pieces, the side missions, even the random crimes have all taken a big leap forward. Everything feels better. Everything looks better. The new mobility upgrades are game-changing. Having three skill trees is overwhelming in the best way. The new parry ability changes up the combat in just the right way. I didn’t want to stop playing tonight. And I can’t wait till I can play again.
My wife is going to be so mad when I buy a PS5 because of you dorks.

”Elmo said it was impressive! He didn’t want to stop playing!”

Back
Top Bottom