• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

News Mario vs. Donkey Kong announced for Nintendo Switch, launches February 16th (UPDATE: new overview trailer + demo out now, see threadmarks)

If another Mario Vs Donkey Kong had to happen I'm glad it's back to the original format than another lemmings-style game.

This seems like the best possible outcome for another MVDK game. Probably won't get it at full price though.

I'll take it!
I love the fact that the Switch is becoming the GBA/Gamecube 2.0 and giving the opportunity to check out all the games I missed the first time around, so I'm actually happier that we're getting a remake vs a new game in this instance

But man, there's a LOT of Mario coming. I hope people dont get burnt out by the time they announce the big 3D Mario next year.

Weird game to remake but eh, is still a fine game although I wish they used a artstyle similar to the actual original GB entry.

The best thing about this is that NST is getting more work.

My hopium paid off for once. A nice surprise.

On the one hand, cool, this is a good game

But on the other, what will a remake bring to this? Why not just put it on NSO? I'm not really sure I want to pay full price for it, you know?
You could argue the same for the Super Mario RPG remake (and the Thousand-Year Door remake, which could've just been a Hagi port like Pikmin 1 and 2).

Could be them testing the waters for a proper sequel in the same style.

Would I have liked an original entry? Yes.

But MvDK is kinda rough to return to... this is probably a good idea, especially if they want to revive the pre-minis focused gameplay for future games.

If they can add toad they should add k rool
so never played any game in this franchise, is the first one pretty good ?
So this one is a direct sequel to DK94 which was a sequel to donkey kong(first 3 levels being remakes), but it goes more down the puzzle path than the platforming side

My hopium paid off for once. A nice surprise.

You could argue the same for the Super Mario RPG remake (and the Thousand-Year Door remake, which could've just been a Hagi port like Pikmin 1 and 2).

Could be them testing the waters for a proper sequel in the same style.
Well, to be fair, I do actually feel the same way about SMRPG remake, personally. But the difference with that game is it's a beloved story and world that people are excited to see come back with an updated look, and I'm not sure if that's true of MvDK the same way, because it's a game that's looked back on fondly for it's gameplay, which this remake won't be changing.

box art
F5_tz95XYAEERRH

so never played any game in this franchise, is the first one pretty good ?
first one is generally regarded as a not-quit-as-good sequel to DK '94, which is considered one of the best games on the original Gameboy.

Consensus seems to be "good, not great", but maybe a remake can improve on that.

Never played this, so I'll check it out eventually. Guess that means the GBA one won't be coming to NSO any time soon, although I think it'll make its way over eventually.

Looks a bit stiff, but I guess that's expected. Hopefully it does well enough to warrant an entirely new one in the future.

Oh Boxard
So it does release physically?? Nice
That makes me way more interested, as a physical collector XD

I like the look of this but there's something about new Switch games announced this year where even if they have really good graphics there's something slightly off about the art style ... like it was less well thought out or something

Also $50, come on.

Really looking forward to this. Yeah, it's not as good as DK94, but it's a worthy sequel IMO and I used to love it as a kid. I was always disappointed we never got another game like this ever since March of the Minis came out and shifted the series to lemmings style gameplay for the next 5 or so entries.

I really liked a Lot the original one but wasnt expecting that price. Does it includes somethings like more levels beside the multiplayer??

If you're like me you never played the GBA one because it's so ugly, so this is a great update.
The original is not ugly. I love the look of the original, particularly later levels. It looks really dinky on the tiny GBA resolution which suits the toy theme and great on the Game Boy Player. Full of character for Mario and the minis.

It doesn't look good blown up without any filter on high resolution screens, but that's not what it was designed for.

Weird game to remake but eh, is still a fine game although I wish they used a artstyle similar to the actual original GB entry.

The best thing about this is that NST is getting more work.
Goddammit I need DK64 remake. Not this low budget shit...

Jokes aside, it does look neat. I don't get why they had to remake it though. Just port it to NSO?

Glad there are no minis never played this but can't help but be bummed there's no NEW DK game or even DK64 on NSO. Curious but not for $50

Sorry, I’m not sure I get the point you’re trying to make- is the issue that this is going to be the same price as Prime R at retail?
I meant that MvsD is very strange to be priced more then many more budgeted games

I mean the Wii U one was a only digital game at 20 (or 30?) and now they want a 50

I meant that MvsD is very strange to be priced more then many more budgeted games

I mean the Wii U one was a only digital game at 20 (or 30?) and now they want a 50
Yeah fair point. I agree, I won’t be paying full whack for this.

Last edited:
I'm unironically looking forward to this one a lot. The original GBA game is very nostalgic for me!

If you're like me you never played the GBA one because it's so ugly, so this is a great update.

Much more warrented than say, Links Awakening Switch imo.
The original isn't ugly 😭
I'll take it!
I love the fact that the Switch is becoming the GBA/Gamecube 2.0 and giving the opportunity to check out all the games I missed the first time around, so I'm actually happier that we're getting a remake vs a new game in this instance

But man, there's a LOT of Mario coming. I hope people dont get burnt out by the time they announce the big 3D Mario next year.
All different genres though so should be good. Mario is something people don't really get burnt out on from experience.
I like the look of this but there's something about new Switch games announced this year where even if they have really good graphics there's something slightly off about the art style ... like it was less well thought out or something

Also $50, come on.
$50 is pretty high I agree. But I actually like the art style ngl. I prefer it over say Bowser's Fury where everyone looks like a plastic toy, they loved the rim lighting in that game.

Back
Top Bottom