• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

News Mario vs. Donkey Kong announced for Nintendo Switch, launches February 16th (UPDATE: new overview trailer + demo out now, see threadmarks)

Just did the demo as well and it was fun. I do like the removal of the whole ranking system too. It always bothered me trying to get gold stars in the original so having the conditions be much simpler is fine by me.

The controls have put me off this a bit. I wish Mario moved more like he does in his platforming games. I messed up so many jumps, and the movement doesn't feel good at all.

Demo seemed good. Only ten minutes or so but was enough to remind me very much of playing DK ‘94.

Demo is a bit on the short end. I get what people are saying about the movement but it honestly isn't a deal breaker to me. This is a puzzle game, so Mario really only moving as far as you input is way more important.

I checked out the demo last night and...wow, it really IS Donkey Kong '94: The Sequel (lowkey).

I can understand the movement gripes if one isn't familiar. Mario can do the same 'ol handstand double jumps, side flips and spins on those poles.

Yeah I'll grab this later on down the line (I can see this dropping to around $30-$35 on Gamefly).

Last edited:
I still have the original game, but I'm not sure if my DS Lite still works. Never finished it but the game was pretty cool.

I find the music direction very pleasant and jazzy. The art style is the typical Mario look nowadays which has never really been bad, but I guess coming off of Mario Wonder it can be jarring lol.

I find the music direction very pleasant and jazzy. The art style is the typical Mario look nowadays which has never really been bad, but I guess coming off of Mario Wonder it can be jarring lol.
The music, and the whole aesthetic really is just very pleasant and relaxing. I kind of like that this feels low stakes. This is maybe the first Nintendo game though that I feel they are over charging a bit for. Outside of the music and the pre rendered intro, it feels like a budget game, which I’m totally fine with from Nintendo, but I think 30 or 40 dollars would have been a better price. I think even captain toad has more going on presentationally and that was only 40 at launch I think.

The music, and the whole aesthetic really is just very pleasant and relaxing. I kind of like that this feels low stakes. This is maybe the first Nintendo game though that I feel they are over charging a bit for. Outside of the music and the pre rendered intro, it feels like a budget game, which I’m totally fine with from Nintendo, but I think 30 or 40 dollars would have been a better price. I think even captain toad has more going on presentationally and that was only 40 at launch I think.
The Mario vs Donkey games were always lower stakes games.

I don't know about this one. I already have it preordered through Best Buy's B2G1 deal, and the bite-sized levels are probably perfect for my current work schedule...otherwise I'd most likely skip out after this demo. Movement is clunky and puzzles are very easy (granted we only played 3 levels but still)

Honestly I don't think I'm going to get it at launch (hope it get a discount at the Mario Day) but if it's revealed the game include DK 94 I think I would go bananas.

Demo was good. I have never played the original. Or the games since. Which is weird cause I really like DK 94. I will buy this on launch day.

My big takeaway from the demo was the snow world during sunset so I’m probably in.

Edit: actually my big takeaway was the voice seeming to be Martinet?

My big takeaway from the demo was the snow world during sunset so I’m probably in.

Edit: actually my big takeaway was the voice seeming to be Martinet?
Yeah that surprised me too, but it wouldn't surprise me this is one of those games they've sat on for a while.

Also it's a remake. SMB Wonder is the brand spanking new 2D Mario and it's a good place to have the new VAs do their thing imo. Nothing to prove any of that, just my thought process.

I don't know about this one. I already have it preordered through Best Buy's B2G1 deal, and the bite-sized levels are probably perfect for my current work schedule...otherwise I'd most likely skip out after this demo. Movement is clunky and puzzles are very easy (granted we only played 3 levels but still)
Gameplay is the same as the original and wants precision. Also the demo levels are basically a tutorial, the difficulty amps up hard

See, I played a couple of levels of the demo, and to me it feels like someone said "what if we did more DK94, but removed all of the charm?"
People who played DK94 usually have that reaction. People who never played DK94 are "What a great unique game! They should have made more!", until they discover DK94 and they fallback to that reaction.

People who played DK94 usually have that reaction. People who never played DK94 are "What a great unique game! They should have made more!", until they discover DK94 and they fallback to that reaction.
Hey, the gameplay side of things is solid. And the new jazzy soundtrack is adding a lot of new charm

My hot take as a person who played Mario vs. Donkey Kong before DK94 was that the latter was actually overrated, the levels are nowhere near as tightly designed since it doesn't have the score-chasing incentives that rewarded and required exploiting the cool new moves. It's already been a decade since I played it though so that might just be me being contrarian and it sounds like they've removed that angle from this remake anyway so, egg on my face 🙃

My hot take as a person who played Mario vs. Donkey Kong before DK94 was that the latter was actually overrated, the levels are nowhere near as tightly designed since it doesn't have the score-chasing incentives that rewarded and required exploiting the cool new moves. It's already been a decade since I played it though so that might just be me being contrarian and it sounds like they've removed that angle from this remake anyway so, egg on my face 🙃
There is a stark difference in level design between DK94 and MvsDK. AFAIK all the cool moves are optional in '94 - you can complete the game without a single backflip or triple jump - but you need them in MvsDK. In this sense, I get where you are coming from when you say that the levels are "more tightly designed", but I enjoyed the freedom given by '94 more. It was a sort of proto-BotW/TotK. There is a solution, but the player is left free to experiment with other, equally valid solutions.

There is a stark difference in level design between DK94 and MvsDK. AFAIK all the cool moves are optional in '94 - you can complete the game without a single backflip or triple jump - but you need them in MvsDK. In this sense, I get where you are coming from when you say that the levels are "more tightly designed", but I enjoyed the freedom given by '94 more. It was a sort of proto-BotW/TotK. There is a solution, but the player is left free to experiment with other, equally valid solutions.

That would be fine if there was incentive for it, it was neat how you unlocked those Expert levels in Mario vs. Donkey Kong for perfecting your play 🤔

Last edited:
The soundtrack is great! Love the hires models on the title screen too.

The art style and weird use of stock assets still screams “cgi fan remake” to me though, kind of like those “what if sonic was in 3D” ones from a while back. I wish it had its own flavor / style. Hammer animation is baaad.

I’m also surprised there’s no arcade throwback mode?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom