• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Pre-Release Mario + Rabbids Sparks of Hope — Pre-release Discussion Thread (UPDATE: cinematic launch trailer, see threadmarks)

Status
Not open for further replies.
idk if you re being ironic but hell no. Please just either make rabbids 3 or just move on to another ip entirely.

i actually am hoping rabbids 2 does so well critically (because we know its going to do comercially) that ubi allows milan to do a rayman game
If anything, wouldn't this doing well critically just lead to another M&R game? Not Rayman lol

Well, the developers have said they move onto DLC once the game releases so we won't see another game for a while, considering DLC 3 (Rayman DLC) has a planned release date of 2024. Similar thing happened with the first game where they started work on the DLC when the first game was completed and when the DLC was completed, Sparks of Hope started development a few days later.

I forgot the Rayman DLC is that far out. Damn, that is a long wait. I assume they will still start some new project alongside that tho. I doubt they'd have the entire team work on JUST DLC.
Or well, depends on how huge it is.
Either way, they seem to be great developers and one day, I'd love to see them tackle another Nintendo Franchise.
Oh
Starfox + Rabbids, yess

Wow, it completely went over my head that the DLC was planned out until '24. That's wild.

Its not like they are obliged to make rabbids 3 tho. Soliani already pitched on a rejected rayman project years ago so he certainly would love to work on a rayman game.
I doubt Ubisoft sees it that way. Mario + Rabbids = Guarenteed Money

At the end of the day Ubisoft decides what they make. I think Rayman is dead for the time being, unless it's a side project.
I think ubi is trying to determine if the ip is still valuable with the rabbids dlc, maybe depending how successful it is... Personally im also hoping that rabbids 2's success may open some wiggle room for davide and co too

There's still plenty of stuff to do for a game that rounds out the trilogy. There are plenty of Mario elements to pull from; UbiSoft has played it pretty safe so far.

I think I'm gonna wait for a sale for this though. I want to finish Nier and I don't foresee myself doing that until closer to Bayonetta 3. Then I wanna play that and be done by the time Sonic comes out. Then I want to be done with Sonic by the time Pokemon comes out. I'll likely get to it sometime in December.

Anyone know when the unlock time for the digital version of this game will be? I know Nintendo games usually unlock at 11 PM CST the night before, but considering this is a Ubisoft game I’m not sure if I should expect something different.

I think with Rayman it's less of a test to see if there is any interest, there obviously is considering the reception to the DLC announcement was extremely positive, and more them just trying to bring him back in the spotlight again after a decade long wait.

I think the biggest reason why we never got Rayman games wasn't because the games don't sell, I've established in a post somewhere here that Legends must have sold close to 5 million units due to the series total sales going up by that much since its release, but because Michel Ancel was THE Rayman guy for the longest time. He basically had the control over the IP. A new Rayman game was going to happen after the development of games like BGaE2 and Wild so it was going to take awhile. Of course, now that Ancel has left, Rayman future was in much uncertainty much like Mega Man was when Keiji Inafune left Capcom.

It seems to me that Soliani and his team has now adopted the IP. Just look at the excitement the developers themselves had when the announcement was made.

Davide Soliani: “I was taking care of the traces and the level design [for the GBC game],” he says. “It was my first love basically, my first challenge where I started to learn a lot of things. And I always dreamed about being able to work again with these characters."

Quentin Correggi: "And personally, at least for me… it has been a joy to work on a Mario game, but in a way, I’m almost even more proud to be able to work on a Rayman game. Rayman is most likely the first video game I played when I was a child. In France, Rayman has quite a big aura, because of Ubisoft being a French company. So now I can finally play… well, not just play it, but also work on a Rayman game. And I’m really, really glad about that."

I think a new Rayman game is definitely in the cards from this team. I mean, you got the developers themselves pondering the idea.

Not to mention there is a TV show coming out, I believe things are finally looking up with Rayman.

Im saving my money for a Disney trip in November, but when i come back, man Do i have a lot of games to buy. This, bayonetta 3, Pokemon Scarlette, call of duty modern warfare 2, god of war ragnarok, and gotham knights.

idk if you re being ironic but hell no. Please just either make rabbids 3 or just move on to another ip entirely.

i actually am hoping rabbids 2 does so well critically (because we know its going to do comercially) that ubi allows milan to do a rayman game

I don't think it's a given that Sparks of Hope is going to do well commercially.

The buzz and excitement around this game is far more subdued than it was for the original while at the same time being a much bigger production than the first game with a much bigger development team. Plus,the marketing budget is probably a lot bigger for this title compared to the first (which launched only two and a half months after reveal.)

Unless the more casual audience on the switch, which has grown tremendously since 2017, is going to be big on this game, there is a good chance Ubisoft loses a lot of money on this title at launch, especially with the growing mindset of the "I'll wait until it's $20" group, which seems to dominate every discussion on this game.

I wouldn't expect any more games in this series, which is a shame I feel, because the game looks fantastic and way more interesting than a lot of the Ubisoft design-by-committee feeling games that make up most of their library. Hopefully Soliani and his team are not too negatively affected if the game does not end up meeting sales expectations.

I don't think it's a given that Sparks of Hope is going to do well commercially.

The buzz and excitement around this game is far more subdued than it was for the original while at the same time being a much bigger production than the first game with a much bigger development team. Plus,the marketing budget is probably a lot bigger for this title compared to the first (which launched only two and a half months after reveal.)

Unless the more casual audience on the switch, which has grown tremendously since 2017, is going to be big on this game, there is a good chance Ubisoft loses a lot of money on this title at launch, especially with the growing mindset of the "I'll wait until it's $20" group, which seems to dominate every discussion on this game.

I wouldn't expect any more games in this series, which is a shame I feel, because the game looks fantastic and way more interesting than a lot of the Ubisoft design-by-committee feeling games that make up most of their library. Hopefully Soliani and his team are not too negatively affected if the game does not end up meeting sales expectations.
A bit pessimistic don't you think?

Good to see they are adding difficulty modes but also you can customize certain elements (plus invincible mode)

Amigo, the people that say they'll wait a few months for a sale is not representative of how the game will perform.
Forums and online discussion in general is rarely representative of how a game will perform

I think Mario + Rabbids 2 will end up doing very well, and even people who are currently saying they'll wait may change their minds if the reviews are particularly good

Edit: As an example of how little online discussion is representative, I've seen far more discussion of Bayo 3 than this game, and Bayo 3 selling a 1/5th of the first M+R game's sales would be a pretty significant overperformance

Last edited:

Every single one of Ubisoft’s titles fall under the same umbrella of being able to wait for a price drop, designed by committee or not. It’s absolutely a vocal minority that you are seeing, especially if you’re talking about Nintendo enthusiasts excited about the fact that this game can get a price drop in a world of games keeping their $60 value lol

Last edited:
the chances of the game not doing great both critically and commercially are very slim. i think this will be a huge release for ubi.

the chances of the game not doing great both critically and commercially are very slim. i think this will be a huge release for ubi.
It does seem like Ubisoft as a whole are banking on this game being successful. I remember Imran Khan on a podcast (I think the MinnMax one) said that people at Ubisoft said to him that they actively need this game to be a success critically.

Do we know how much Mario + Rabbids has sold right now? Was it, like, 8 million? Or was lt all the way up to 11 something?

Not gonna lie, super surpised with some of the low expectations for this game in this thread - previews and trailers looking stellar, the biggest game for non pokemon fans for the holiday season and with a super active install base, the game have to be spectacularly bad for this game not to be a big hit.

Ubi once tweeted that M+R Kingdom Battle had "10 million unique players" which...is that sales? Just a weird thing to say instead of 10 million sold. So, I assume it's less but still a boatload. I know a bunch of people who picked it up by now cause it's been $10. They figured why not, and liked it.

It does seem like Ubisoft as a whole are banking on this game being successful. I remember Imran Khan on a podcast (I think the MinnMax one) said that people at Ubisoft said to him that they actively need this game to be a success critically.
i dont doubt it at all. With over 400 people working on it, it def is the game that had a huge budget lol

We're almost one week out! I'm really excited to see reviews (and to play the game, of course, but reviews do come first)

I do think this game will end up doing very well. The first game sold well and was well received, and this one has been receiving pretty high praise from previews. Unless reviews are pretty bad then I imagine this selling roughly on par or better than the first game

Regardless of Mario+Rabbids continuing I hope Ubisoft Milan and Soliani keeps collaborating with Nintendo for the forseeable future, they're pretty much the only team at Ubisoft that isn't trying to make unnecessarily large GaaS projects (aside from Just Dance).

The first game is an 85. This game looks to be high 80’s from what we’ve seen. It’s so ambitious and all the previews were very good.

I was reading this NintendoLife article about being invited to Ubisoft Milan and noticed something randomly mentioned about Sparks of Hope...
Wardens are both essential to the story, but also offer up sidequests and reasons to revisit the planets. We were shown Captain Orion, a pirate warden who looks after the snowy planet of Pristine Peaks. Sailing the seas of the starry ocean, he’s big, bulky, and has a booming voice and personality to match. Augie, Beacon Beach’s Warden, tries his best to look like a Greek emperor, but his cardboard accessories and goofy grin betray him. Their stories are told in unique visual styles – Greek vase paintings, street art, and stained glass panels were just a few examples we saw. They even acknowledge your actions and change how they speak to you throughout the game.
That last part sounds interesting.

The difficulty adjustments also sound awesome!
Having seen more of the game, the title of this movement-focused segment – “Designing a tactical game for all” – resonated. Sparks of Hope is positioned as an extremely accessible jump into the turn-based tactical genre, which is something the team is extremely proud of. Difficulty options are present; for each planet, you can select its initial difficulty and change it whenever you want. Additionally, you can also adjust parameters within that difficulty option. Soliani used Celeste’s ‘Assist Mode’ as an example, saying “you can basically create your own recipe with the level of difficulty”. Enemy health, weapon potency, regen – all sorts of things can be tweaked.

Koji Kondo and Mahito Yokota are supervising the soundtrack.
Legendary Nintendo composer Koji Kondo and Super Mario Galaxy co-composer Mahito Yokota supervised the soundtrack, which would be enough to make anyone nervous – even Kirkhope!

More soundtrack info:
Using the same orchestra and instruments and recording all of the music in Tokyo helped Brillaud maintain harmony. That made things quite tough for scheduling, with all three composers working in different timezones, and all three also had different personalities and approaches. “Grant really likes to pitch tons of ideas and has a lot of things, and Mrs. Shimomura thinks about the piece, and then when she sends a piece, it's usually spot on, and then there's more reflection,” Brillaud shares, whereas with Coker, “it's not just the brief and what you tell him. He wants to have his hands on the game and feel the pace himself.”

To help with musical consistency, Brillaud often paired composers together per planet, so one planet would have Kirkhope and Shimomura, but the next might be Coker and Shimomura. Brillaud wanted them to get their hands on the game, understand the vision, and he says it was his job to “grab the ideas that they bring and mix them together.”
The last paragraph especially sounds really interesting... I think Mario Odyssey took a similar approach with the kingdoms.

Last edited:
More soundtrack info:
The last paragraph especially sounds really interesting... I think Mario Odyssey took a similar approach with the kingdoms.
The note in particular about using the same orchestra and instrumentation for consistency is extremely important. To use another Yoko Shimomura collaboration as an example, Kingdom Hearts III had a weaker OST in part because the composers' unique choice of instruments clashed so hard. It is extremely obvious when there's a Shimomura song and when a song is by, say Takeharu Ishimoto, and not in that "we're going for an eclectic soundtrack" kinda way like in Super Mario Odyssey. Shimomura's good orchestral instrumentation (whether it was live recorded or just used very good midi instrumentation I'm not sure, but it has a particularly rich style) stands in start contrast to Ishimoto's very...lacking midi-esque instrumentation. Yes, Shimomura is one of the best composers around and has largely defined the KH sound thanks to her work on the first three games, but that gap didn't need to be as large as it the instrumentation was more similar, at the least for when they use the same instrument.

Having that united sense of sound will benefit Sparks of Hope and its three unique composers very heavily.

The note in particular about using the same orchestra and instrumentation for consistency is extremely important. To use another Yoko Shimomura collaboration as an example, Kingdom Hearts III had a weaker OST in part because the composers' unique choice of instruments clashed so hard. It is extremely obvious when there's a Shimomura song and when a song is by, say Takeharu Ishimoto, and not in that "we're going for an eclectic soundtrack" kinda way like in Super Mario Odyssey. Shimomura's good orchestral instrumentation (whether it was live recorded or just used very good midi instrumentation I'm not sure, but it has a particularly rich style) stands in start contrast to Ishimoto's very...lacking midi-esque instrumentation. Yes, Shimomura is one of the best composers around and has largely defined the KH sound thanks to her work on the first three games, but that gap didn't need to be as large as it the instrumentation was more similar, at the least for when they use the same instrument.

Having that united sense of sound will benefit Sparks of Hope and its three unique composers very heavily.
Yeah the soundtrack is shaping up to be something special!

I want to hear the soundtrack for Sparks of Hope NOW!​

Maybe it's just my perception but it feels like there's been non-stop trailers and marketing on this game for the past month that I forget it isn't already out.

Wow forgot this game was coming this soon, almost done with blossom tales 2.I have decided this will be my next game. Looks leagues better than the first. I hope it does extremely well so it becomes an annual franchise or so the team can make another game with a different Nintendo property.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom