• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Mario Party Superstars |ST| Party Like It's 64

stingylettuce

Octorok
Pronouns
He/Him
9jga6ple37w71.png

A blast from parties' past! A collection of 100 minigames from the Nintendo 64 games and GameCube games return, plus more! The fun doesn't stop there, as 5 classic boards are returning exclusively from the Nintendo 64 Mario Party games!

• Developer: NDcube Co., Ltd.
  • Publisher: Nintendo
  • Platform: Nintendo Switch
  • Release Date: 29th October 2021
  • Genre: Party
  • Multiplayer: Yes; up to three players can play on one system in online play
  • Controllers: Joy-Con, Pro Controller, any gamepad (presumably)
  • Supported Modes: Handheld, TV, and Tabletop mode (no motion controls!)
  • eShop Download Size: 2.7GB
  • Official Site: US | JP

avjycn2o04w71.png

Featuring over 100 minigames from the Nintendo 64 and GameCube Mario Parties, these are all playable with button controls only!
hhvq7uon84w71.png

4 Player
Mushroom Mix-up
Cast Aways
Hammer Drop
Face Lift
Tipsy Tourney
Shy Guy Says
Crazy Cutters
Bombs Away
2 vs. 2
Bobsled Run
Handcar Havoc

1 vs. 3
Piranha's Pursuit
Tug o' War

oofdyzgha4w71.png

4 Player
Sneak 'n' Snore
Roll Call
Bowser's Big Blast
Slot Car Derby
Mecha-Marathon
Tread Carefully
Hot Rope Jump
Bumper Balls
Honeycomb Havoc
Bumper Balloon Cars
Dizzy Dancing
2 vs. 2
Cake Factory
Speed Hockey
Balloon Burst
Sky Pilots
Dungeon Dash

1 vs. 3
Look Away
Quicksand Cache
Archer-ival

Item
Hammer Slammer
Roll Out the Barrels

bwwn70hha4w71.png

4 Player
Rockin' Raceway
Storm Chasers
Parasol Plummet
Messy Memory
Ice Risk Rink
Mario's Puzzle Party
Chip Shot Challenge
Cheep Cheep Chase
Bounce 'n' Trounce
Mush Pit
Snowball Summit
2 vs. 2
Puddle Paddle
Etch 'n' Catch
Picking Panic
Eatsa Pizza

1 vs. 3
River Raiders
Tidal Toss
Boulder Ball
Spotlight Swim
Hide and Sneak
Coconut Conk

Duel
Tick Tock Hop
Vine With Me
Motor Rooter

Item
Bobbing Bow-loons
Swinging with the Sharks
Winner's Wheel

ps9d52hha4w71.png

4 Player
Paths of Peril
Trace Race
Booksquirm
2 vs. 2
Beach Volley Folley
Dungeon Duos
Reverse-a-Bomb
1 vs. 3
Money Belts
GOOOOOOOAL!!

celohzgha4w71.png

4 Player
Coney Island
Night Light Fright
Bill Blasters
Later Skater
Dinger Derby
Pushy Penguins
Leaf Leap
2 vs. 2
Ice Hockey

1 vs. 3
Squared Away
Tube It or Lose It

fcaoh6hha4w71.png

4 Player
Dark 'n Crispy
Trap Ease Artist
X-Ray Payday
Pit Boss
What Goes Up...
Catch You Letter
Snow Whirled
2 vs. 2
Burnstile
Rocky Road
Cashapult
Duel
Mass Meteor
Block Star

083xi2hha4w71.png

4 Player
The Final Countdown
Monty's Revenge
Pokey Pummel
1 vs. 3
Pogo-a-Go-Go
Duel
Stick and Spin
Spin Doctor
kayky5ija4w71.png

2 vs. 2
Winner or Dinner
Paint Misbehavin'

ig9wx4hha4w71.png

4 Player
Goomba Spotting
Manor of Escape
2 vs. 2
Shell Soccer
1 vs. 3
Tackle

1vxaqzgha4w71.png

4 Player
Flash Forward
Rapid River Race
1 vs. 3
Skewer Scurry

t91nwn2o04w71.png

Five classic boards from the Nintendo 64 games make its way into HD!

sg_panel_01.png
mv_01.jpg

"This enormous cake was made for the birthday of a very special princess. Even the candles are huge. Lighting them all was quite the task!"

mv_04.jpg
sg_panel_04.png

"Long ago, a passing Super Star met some Yoshis stranded on these very islands. The Super Star stepped up and saved these Yoshis. What a hero!"

sg_panel_02.png
mv_02.jpg

"A while ago, on this space station, which is kinda far away, a battle commenced.... a brave Super Star vanquished an evil king and restored peace to the galaxy."

mv_05.jpg
sg_panel_05.png

"A sinister magician once made a home of these spooky woods... but when the Super Star drove them away, the forest returned to normal."

sg_panel_03.png
mv_03.jpg

"If you don't watch your step, this forest will send you around in circles! You see, long ago, these woods were the site of the battle for the title of Super Star."

6qyipn2o04w71.png

Need a break from the board festivities? Come to Mt. Minigames a while, an area which offers 7 sub-modes for you to play! All modes support online play too!

Free Play
Freely choose any of the 100 minigames to play.

Survival
Just one player can play online in this mode. Compete with players near and far for a streak of wins. See how long you can last!

Daily Challenge
Play varied, themed packs of minigames that rotate and change daily.

Tag Match
2 vs. 2 Team Games. The first team to reach 3-, 5- or 10-stars wins!

Coin Battle
See who can rack up the most coins! Coin Minigames, Bonus Minigames, and other events can happen sometimes too.

Trio Challenge
Maintain your win streak in 1 vs. 3 minigames. Play solo or as a team. To clear each stage, you will have to win five times in a row.

Sports and Puzzles

Exclusive Sports and Puzzle Minigames, only available in this mode.

vh1ibw2o04w71.png

Reception
Metacritic: 79
Opencritic: 79

Review Thread

Trailers + Gameplay Videos

Last edited:
The lack of a sixth bowser board hurts me but there’s some code and indicators(visible version number) pointing an free/paid updates so I’m not too worried. Already had my little sis asking me if I’d have it with me when I come to her place at thanksgiving

Brilliant ST! Excited for this game, it's actually going to be my first Mario Party :eek: I'm not sure what did it but my partner is all of a sudden interested in this one and the online could work out with friends , so I feel like I can finally get one without the risk of being left sitting on my own with it haha

I know you can’t play with friends and randoms online at the same time if your both playing on the same system, but can you play with friends and randoms online at the same time with more than 1 switch?

Gorgeous ST @stingylettuce ! Looking forward to jumping in soon!

The lack of a sixth bowser board hurts me but there’s some code and indicators(visible version number) pointing an free/paid updates so I’m not too worried. Already had my little sis asking me if I’d have it with me when I come to her place at thanksgiving

That is very promising to hear. Even if Nintendo is tightlipped, at least dataminers are willing to go out on a limb to answer the questions we're asking.

Gorgeous ST @stingylettuce ! Looking forward to jumping in soon!

That is very promising to hear. Even if Nintendo is tightlipped, at least dataminers are willing to go out on a limb to answer the questions we're asking.
Basically they found that the code has markings for board 10 and 99. (Board 0 is common assets). Which indicates there’s 4 boards in some level of development and they have an “unlimited” amount of open slots if they choose to do further paid dlc. And there’s no scrapped board data like Super which means they intentionally hid the data

Basically they found that the code has markings for board 10 and 99. (Board 0 is common assets). Which indicates there’s 4 boards in some level of development and they have an “unlimited” amount of open slots if they choose to do further paid dlc. And there’s no scrapped board data like Super which means they intentionally hid the data
Ahh, that's good. Hopefully the ambition shines where they want to continue adding more boards and minigames. Out of curiousity, how do they know there is hidden data if there's no scrapped data? Or is it just a logical conclusion from one to the other?

I wouldn't say board 10 being there necessarily means they're developing 6-9.

I wouldn't say board 10 being there necessarily means they're developing 6-9.
The lack of scrap data and 10 as a clear delineator between core and open slots is the bigger one. It’s also the first NDCube switch game with a version number on the title screen, which is mainly included in games with updates/dlc

So we having any Fami MP sessions planned?

And can I also express my distaste for lack of Shy Guy as a playable character.

The lack of scrap data and 10 as a clear delineator between core and open slots is the bigger one. It’s also the first NDCube switch game with a version number on the title screen, which is mainly included in games with updates/dlc
it's also the first one they developed with online MP available at the outset, where knowing the version number is important for support

Aaaaaand bought and preloaded. Also got booze for tomorrow, because nothing says Mario Party like boozed up friends racing for 4th place.

Look, I think DLC has a pretty good shot too; I just think the datamining and version number isn't really a dead giveaway.

Quoted by: Sol
Looks like I'm buying a Nintendo game on the first day for the first time in years if the online netcode turns out to be decent at the least.

Plus updates as an NSO+EP incentive makes too much sense
the problem is that you can say this about any game now

with mario party so close to launch, why wouldn't they have announced it as an EP bonus if it was happening?

like, never give up the dream, but let's not pretend we have conclusive proof of anything.

the problem is that you can say this about any game now

with mario party so close to launch, why wouldn't they have announced it as an EP bonus if it was happening?

like, never give up the dream, but let's not pretend we have conclusive proof of anything.
But also, and I've said this before, if new content seems like it would typically be a free update like what Mario Golf and Tennis got it would leave a sour taste in a lot of people's mouths. Like what kind of a content update would be worth of paid DLC? Definitely more than a board and a couple characters lol.

With that said I don't see how new characters aren't added. Pauline is a no brainer. On that alone I believe in DLC lmfao.

Online Play details
Regarding the online options. I've been watching a few streamers and from what I understood you can:

- Create a lobby for anyone or friends only (both with or without passcode) so the friends+randoms with more than 1 switch should be possible.

- Up to 3 people can join from the same Nintendo Switch system and play on a lobby with the remaining 2 or 1 person online respectively.

- You can invite friends using the online invitation thing.

I'll get the game tomorrow morning, so if someone could verify this before me good.

Last edited:
Ok I found out you and your friend can play with randoms online on the same switch

The question is can you invite your friend to a random match online

Great ST! Those game boards look really nice. There's something compelling about this game even though I've avoided Mario Party since 2.

I don't have anybody to play local multiplayer with or I'd consider it. Glad they added online MP, but I know I wouldn't use it enough to justify the purchase.

Regarding the online options. I've been watching a few streamers and from what I understood you can:

- Create a lobby for anyone or friends only (both with or without passcode) so the friends+randoms with more than 1 switch should be possible.

- Up to 3 people can join from the same Nintendo Switch system and play on a lobby with the remaining 2 or 1 person online respectively.

I'll get the game tomorrow morning, so if someone could verify this before me good.
So you can make an open room, invite your friend to it and anyone can join that room before you start a game? Kinda like arena in smash?

Great ST!

Excited to check this one out. I haven’t bought a console Mario Party since the first one. I’m also curious if GiantBomb will do a new Mario Party Party video with this one.

Look, I think DLC has a pretty good shot too; I just think the datamining and version number isn't really a dead giveaway.
What has led you to believe that DLC has a pretty good shot? I hope you're right!

Thank you thank you all for the kind compliments on this ST, this is my first one ever and I am glad to have made it for Famiboards!

Piggybacking off of this, seems like the reviewer for GameXplain's video is suggesting that any combination of players does work:

Thank you thank you all for the kind compliments on this ST, this is my first one ever and I am glad to have made it for Famiboards!

Piggybacking off of this, seems like the reviewer for GameXplain's video is suggesting that any combination of players does work:

Yea but they don’t say anything about playing with randoms and friends at the same time

I don't want to frighten anyone, but GameExplain just released a video saying the online works well. In a Nintendo game. Can we get confirmation on that? Maybe a grainy black and white photo of good online in the woods.

This game's release really snuck up on me, but I'm excited to play it! A good, classic style Mario Party is what I need. And the online options seem really promising. Maybe we can organize some games here!

Online filling bots and allowing rejoin is such a delight. Welcome aboard nintendo, please stay

Classic Bonus Stars fixed another issue I had with Super; no matter what your turn count is, you'll always get the three bonus stars.

For those who has the game, how many turns are you able to add, and if that is the case, what is the maximum amount of turns possible? I know you can start with 30 turns, but I am not sure what is the amount of turns you can add mid-game to extend it.

In regards to bonus stars, if it is enabled (and not the classic option), is it only 2 stars if 10 or 15 turns are selected (like in Super Mario Party), or is it still 3?

Thank you for reading.

For those who has the game, how many turns are you able to add, and if that is the case, what is the maximum amount of turns possible? I know you can start with 30 turns, but I am not sure what is the amount of turns you can add mid-game to extend it.

In regards to bonus stars, if it is enabled (and not the classic option), is it only 2 stars if 10 or 15 turns are selected (like in Super Mario Party), or is it still 3?

Thank you for reading.

If you start with 30 turns, you can't add any more.
If you start with 10 turns, you can add 15/20/25/30.

But you're not "adding" in a math sense. If you start at 10 and want to "add" 20, you're not getting 30. The new number is 20. You're just choosing a higher number. That's why if you start at 30, you can't add any more because 30 is the max.

You can only add once per game and it goes into effect at the start of the next turn.

This sure is Mario Party.

You don't really "add" turns the way they described it; you extend the length of the game to 15, 20, 25 or 30 turns. So if you start at 30 turns, the option can't even be selected in the menu.

Not sure about the bonus stars, i've only played with Classic in my games so far.

This sure is Mario Party.

You don't really "add" turns the way they described it; you extend the length of the game to 15, 20, 25 or 30 turns. So if you start at 30 turns, the option can't even be selected in the menu.

Not sure about the bonus stars, i've only played with Classic in my games so far.

Sigh we seriously need more MP3 boards

Something that I wonder is: would it be feasible for a future Mario Party game to be like Mario Kart in that a percentage of old content are reused instead of having all-new content? The Mario Party series tend to introduce new minigames each entry except for the second game (which is the only one that recycles a portion of minigames) and obviously the compilation games. It would certainly be a treat if that were to happen, so like there are 60 - 80 minigames, and then the rest are filled with older games to bring the total up to 100 minigames.

Thank you for reading.

Back
Top Bottom