• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

StarTopic Mario Party Superstars |ST| Party Like It's 64

Played Peach's Birthday Cake. Never again. A dreadfully boring board haha. It needed another item shop and item spaces.
how many turns can you add in game?
Depends. I think if you choose 30 turns in the game set up you can't add turns but I haven't check. You can only add turns based on the other turn limit settings. So if you pick 20 turns you can choose to play to 25 or 30 turns.

This is the one board that I'm disappointed made the cut.
Yeah it'd be a real mood killer at parties lol. It was just weird how the lucky spaces on this board had less options for items than other boards. It was always at least 50% coins where as in the other boards they are handing items out like it's nothing.

I have a few questions.

1. Is it possible to play the normal board mode with random people with matchmaking?
2. If yes is there any kind of ranking involved?
3. If playing with randoms is there any way of basic communication?
4. How long are Board games with randoms?

Quoted by: GJ
The entire game is steeped in Mario Party history. Every board and mini game is labeled with the original game that it came from. On your online card, you can even personally identify which Mario Party game you like the most.

The thing is......It has every Mario Party from 1-10. Did this game erase Super Mario Party from history or is it acknowledging that that game isn't a real Mario Party game?

The entire game is steeped in Mario Party history. Every board and mini game is labeled with the original game that it came from. On your online card, you can even personally identify which Mario Party game you like the most.

The thing is......It has every Mario Party from 1-10. Did this game erase Super Mario Party from history or is it acknowledging that that game isn't a real Mario Party game?
Note it also doesn't acknowledge Mario Party DS and other portable Mario Parties. I very much think of DS as a pretty fine MP game, so I think they really wanted to focus on the console games for this entry.

In other news, this is definitly my favorite MP now. Played 3 games yesterday on Tropical Island, Horror Land, and Space Land and had a blast doing it with my friends.

So online works great. For the most part.

My wife and I started a room on my switch that was open to all so randoms can join but we got tired of waiting and just quit and played versus 2 CPU.

Anyone have any luck filling the other spots with randoms when opening a room?

I played my first game with my partner last night. Yeah, this is classic Mario Party, albeit with a few too many lucky spaces. Even so, it was a pretty chill time teaming up against the computer players, and I'm looking forward to more. Should be able to get a 4 player local game going this weekend though - that's where the real chaos will begin.

So online works great. For the most part.

My wife and I started a room on my switch that was open to all so randoms can join but we got tired of waiting and just quit and played versus 2 CPU.

Anyone have any luck filling the other spots with randoms when opening a room?
I tried yesterday and it filled in less than 3 minutes.

I have a few questions.

1. Is it possible to play the normal board mode with random people with matchmaking?
2. If yes is there any kind of ranking involved?
3. If playing with randoms is there any way of basic communication?
4. How long are Board games with randoms?

ā€¢ Yes.
ā€¢ Not sure, but I donā€™t think so.
ā€¢ You can send stickers, but thatā€™s about it.
ā€¢ Depends on what you select. The game says 10-turn games take 30 minutes and 15-turn games take 45, but Iā€™ve played a couple of both and they all went on for ~60-75 minutes.

I've put about 5 hours into this so far and it's incredible.

The online is smooth, even on wifi. The minigame island area is so good for online, with each "course" having a little something different. I really appreciate the sports+puzzles one because I never got Clubhouse Minigames and the 3 sports games there satisfies that itch.

I've only done 1 board game online with 15 turns but it was smooth all the way through aside from the Donkey Kong disconnecting and not rejoining. So far I'm enjoying the minigame island survival mode the most. I've gotten up to 4 wins in a row so far!

I think this might be one of my Top 5 Switch games. It's the most fun I've had in years.

Everything about this game, presentation, gameplay, graphics, music, is top notch.

Picked up my copy today.

First thing I did was play a 15 turn game on Yoshiā€™s Tropical Island with 3 random people online.

And, I won!! One player (Rosalina) was winning the majority of the mini games but their skills on the board let them down.

Great fun so far!

Booted up Super Mario Party afterwards for comparisons. No Pro Controller support so I immediately quit.

ā€¢ Yes.
ā€¢ Not sure, but I donā€™t think so.
ā€¢ You can send stickers, but thatā€™s about it.
ā€¢ Depends on what you select. The game says 10-turn games take 30 minutes and 15-turn games take 45, but Iā€™ve played a couple of both and they all went on for ~60-75 minutes.
You and the others convinced me thank you :) I got it now and will try it out tomorrow.

dabaJFk.png

Not too serious but yeah. Mostly enjoying all the maps so far. Yoshi's is hilarious when things go awfully correct or wrong for players. Peach's Birthday Cake I was never a huge fan of in the original, and while it's much improved here, I'm still not a huge fan....feels like it needs an extra item shop at least.

Hoping they add more via DLC.

Tried another game tonight, this time with four players. We played on Peach's Birthday Cake, and while it's not my favorite board to play, I have to compliment how nice the game looks! The animations are lovely, textures are so vibrant, just a gorgeous looking title all around.

Peachā€™s Birthday Cake can be good, but you definitely need at least a 20 round game for that. The amount of star stealing that can happen when people start investing in the ā€˜strawberriesā€™ is insane.

Peachā€™s Birthday Cake can be good, but you definitely need at least a 20 round game for that. The amount of star stealing that can happen when people start investing in the ā€˜strawberriesā€™ is insane.
Yeah, even in my 15 turn game we got two for two star steals, it really turned the tide of things!

just played a game online where i definitely was the unintentional villain ā€” i was pretty far ahead of everyone for like 13 of 15 turns, and then a couple people started stealing my stars and everyone began sending each other ā€œGOOD GAME!!ā€ and ā€œYES!!!ā€ stickers. felt bad haha

Played Peach's Birthday Cake. Never again. A dreadfully boring board haha. It needed another item shop and item spaces.
Still don't get why this one made the cut. Bothered me since the game's reveal lol.
Should have went with another Mario Party 3 board instead of this one. Mario Party 1 definitely wasn't the game to give two boards from, while 3 only gets one.

Oh well, at least the others are cool, even if I'm also not a Space Land fan (by far my least favorite of Mario Party 2 boards lol)

just played a game online where i definitely was the unintentional villain ā€” i was pretty far ahead of everyone for like 13 of 15 turns, and then a couple people started stealing my stars and everyone began sending each other ā€œGOOD GAME!!ā€ and ā€œYES!!!ā€ stickers. felt bad haha
Lmao !
"Hell yeah, fuck them up"

Ok after buying it last night I was really unsure if it was a smart decision. Just because I really spend a lot on games the past month and will even more in November... But damn its fun!

I was just able to play some mini games online with a rather weak WiFi connection and still there was no lag! It was a smooth and damn fun experience. I can't wait to play my first board game tonight.

Are boo bells not worth it in this game?? Boo gave CPU Peach (hard) a boo bell....but she actually got rid of it and kept her 2 chomp whistles and the one triple blocks.
Don't Boo Bells work like going to a Boo. If you can't afford the star stealing one, the chomp whistle can be much cheaper option to just keep the star away from the close player

Did you guys get a physical copy or a digital one?
For certain games (Smash, Aces, even the previous Mario Party) I usually go digital. But for this one I went physical for some reason. Probably because even if they not do DLC, it really feels like a full package and I figured Iā€™ll have at least one Mario Party game physical which is nice. Also, I can take it to my friends house and play it on her Switch as well if we all do some couch co op.

i kind of don't get the hate for birthday cake when tropical island is SUCH A SLOG

birthday cake turns chaotic fast once you've got star stealing plants all over

Last edited:
Quoted by: GJ
So I've played a bit more. The economy is still a gripe, but it gets smaller and smaller every time I play a game. It's possible that there is more strategy involved here. than Super Mario Party. Is it the same as the originals? I don't know. I don't think it has to be actually. Lucky spaces are okay except for in Horror Land. Maybe that's just me.

They need to patch the Hammer Drop minigame lol. It gives out around 80 coins. Way more than the original and with the 2x multiplier it's insane. Obviously there are other games that are insane with that multiplier but I got 130 coins with it from Hammer Drop lol. That's broken especially on a map like Horror Land.

Are boo bells not worth it in this game?? Boo gave CPU Peach (hard) a boo bell....but she actually got rid of it and kept her 2 chomp whistles and the one triple blocks.
I would say that the CPU favors the chomp whistles more than most items.

I can understand why they make getting Coins easier, in the older games, it was incredibly easy to get locked into 0 coins or never being able to get going. however, they went overboard lol. Items, stars, Banks are so cheap compared to the amount of coins you get.

I feel a bit of a adjustment should be done to balance it out.

i kind of don't get the hate for birthday cake when tropical island is SUCH A SLOG

birthday cake turns chaotic fast once you've got star stealing plants all over

The problem is; from what I've seen and heard among my friends most people just wanna play 10-turn games (which take about an hour online), so they can play 2 different boards in one session or just keep the session short so they can still do something else with their evening. 10 turns is way too short for people to save up an extra 30 coins (they also have to keep 20 to buy a star), then land on a right spot that doesn't have a coin stealing plant on it yet. At 15 turns a star or two might get stolen, but the board doesn't start to get really fun until you play at least 20 turns, which (online) comes down to a 2-2,5 hour game.

I'm really loving this game online with randoms. It's pure chaos most of the time.

My last match was on Yoshi's Tropical Island for 15 turns and it ended up lasting 2 hours to complete it. I'm surprised people were willing to stay for that long. But the match itself was great with people jacking up the Thwomp prices and stealing stars.

Just want to play a Party in Horror Land for Halloween and everybody buying freaking Chomp Whistles.

I love this game so much.

Is it just me or is it incredibly hard to find a 10 turn match with randoms? I tried it today twice because I didn't had that much time but wasn't able to get a game going.

15 turns however I find pretty much instantly.

Back
Top Bottom