• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

NSO Mario Party 1 and 2 Coming to NSO Expansion Pack on November 2nd

Mario Party 1 is unplayable to me. I did not realize how janky the game was as a baby, but now as a manbaby it stands out too much how janky some minigames are. So many of these 'spin the joystick' ones are particularly absurd when you realize the speed they're expecting you to spin it.

Mario Party 1 is the only merciless one in the franchise. No wonder I fought with my brother many times over most of these minigames. (plus chance time)

So I play 2 today and the control stick works against you in slot car derby lol. I don't know if it's because it isn't as sensitive as the N64 one but it felt off. And I had no issue with slot car derby in Mario Party Superstars.

Playing Western Land for the first time in a long time... had a certified Ratatouille moment

tumblr_m8xdttytpV1r9xkz5o8_250.gif

Last edited:
Still can't get over how good the first one looks in handheld mode. Gonna do 35 turns on all the boards, then move on to Mario Party 2.

Was trying to beat Mini-Game Island. Had to use my palm to rotate the stick to beat Tug o' War. But that wasn't the hardest thing. Then came Skateboard Scamper... that thing is FUCKING IMPOSSIBLE. No matter how hard I mash B, everyone lines up in the end a certain CPU wins. I don't remember it being so terribly hard.

6l1ywf3qxoh21.jpg

Over the holidays, I played this classic again for the first time in at least 15 years. It was fun to go back, and not so much fun lol.

Boards: There isn't a bad board in this game, but there are definitely some boards that are better than others. Yoshi's Tropical Island is still the most vibrant. DK, Mario, and Peach's boards were fun. Luigi's board could have been the best if it wasn't for a couple of the star spawn points. Wario Bomb Battlefield was easily the best board for farming stars late. The two unlockable boards were nice additions.

Mini-games: So, it was definitely a love hate situation here. WE all know about the infamous rotating stick games. Some of these games did not age well in their original form. Some of the games that required time to mash a button constantly, almost to the point of breaking my controller, just to beat the CPU by a millisecond was kind of annoying. Maybe I'm getting just old? I don't think so because some of these games are much more playable in more recent Mario Party games. There were a couple games like the Bowser Balloon Burst where I never managed to win. Also, screw you teetering towers.

Mini-game Island- I played it briefly after finishing Eternal Star, but I'm a little burnt out. Not sure if I will return to it, but those are the little extra modes that I miss from today's Nintendo games.

Presentation: Top notch. I'm glad they used the village menu in MP: Superstars

Unlockables: So this is where the grind can really suck. Assuming that you are mostly playing alone, you really need to do the four controller trick at the end of games to multiply your coin and stars. Otherwise, you will be spending a long time grinding. After finishing all eight boards and letting the CPUs go wild for a game on Bomb Battlefield, I still had barely enough coins to collect everything in the shop, and I still have yet to buy a mini-game.

Overall Score: 7/10 A good first entry that started a great franchise, but some parts of this game did not age well.

Back
Top Bottom