• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • General system instability
    🚧 We apologise for the recent server issues. The site may be unavaliable while we investigate the problem. 🚧

NSO Mario Party 1 and 2 Coming to NSO Expansion Pack on November 2nd

VolcanicDynamo

1-Up Boy
Pronouns
He/Him

Looks like we got a Mario Party double feature coming up! As everyone knows, this is the first re-release of Mario Party, since it was never on Virtual Console. Meanwhile Mario Party 2 has been re-released a few times already.

Last edited:
I guess they figured they should double announce this to motivate people to renew their NSO subs.

Looking forward to these, in terms of hating your friends, it doesn't get better than Mario Party for multiplayer games.

RIP your thumbsticks and palms everyone
IT'S TIME

xhz7YWo.jpg

cr1tikal-penguinz0.gif

Me and my brother rented Mario Party 2 every other weekend until finally our parents bought it for us at Christmas. We played it with both his and my friends on birthdays, school holidays etc. Just gives a super warm feeling of early 2000s nostalgia - pizza, Pepsi, some friends and Mario Party 2.

I have lots of great memories with MP2. Me and my brother made our little sister cry by stealing stars from her. She used to scream whenever we activate that Genie Lamp, which took you straight to Boo, who helped you steal a star.

That penguin race was our favorite. Shame that it wasn't remade for Superstars.

Mario Party 2 I think is the best one. Maybe it's nostalgia but it has the best minigames and the boards are so good. Like it has some of the best minigames from the 1st Mario Party and then it has it's own. Duels make their first appearance.

I will say Mario Party 3 does have the Waluigi board, which is obviously the GOAT, but I'd still give it to 2 lol.

It's absolutely not the best in the series, but I have a lot of nostalgia for the first Mario Party. It has such a whimsical vibe, especially in its soundtrack.

It's absolutely not the best in the series, but I have a lot of nostalgia for the first Mario Party. It has such a whimsical vibe, especially in its soundtrack.
Something about this track always makes me happy, combined with the simple looking village hub:

Realizing that it's Yasunori Mitsuda, who composed Chrono Trigger, does a lot to contextualize that. He never came back for the other Mario Parties, sadly.

Something about this track always makes me happy, combined with the simple looking village hub:

Realizing that it's Yasunori Mitsuda, who composed Chrono Trigger, does a lot to contextualize that. He never came back for the other Mario Parties, sadly.

I remember learning that Mitsuda also did Chrono Trigger and it blowing my mind as a young teen, that's such a great get for this game. I must say, though the remixes for all the tracks in Superstars were all very enjoyable!

Mario's Rainbow Castle is another phenomenal track, even with my Mario bias. So majestic!

I remember learning that Mitsuda also did Chrono Trigger and it blowing my mind as a young teen, that's such a great get for this game. I must say, though the remixes for all the tracks in Superstars were all very enjoyable!

Mario's Rainbow Castle is another phenomenal track, even with my Mario bias. So majestic!

Rainbow Castle was another one I was gonna post, that's probably the first track that comes to mind when I think of Mario Party 1's OST.

Always like this track too, a nice little remix of Bowser's Castle from SMB:

Yeah either goldeneye or Smash for December
I think they'd have announced Smash by now if it was gonna be in this upcoming slate.

In terms of 100% Nintendo owned N64 games, Smash 64 and DK64 are by far the biggest omissions. Might be saving them for next year's renewals.

QAjw7I1.png

I know Konami owns what was formerly Hudson, but is it normal they retroactively get this copyright on the games? Does that give them any control over its release?

He's in the credits for Mario Party 2 though?

Rainbow Castle was another one I was gonna post, that's probably the first track that comes to mind when I think of Mario Party 1's OST.

Always like this track too, a nice little remix of Bowser's Castle from SMB:

That is a great remix, though I’m pretty sure it’s based on SMB3.

The return of Mushroom Village and the rearrangement of all the tracks there was one huge highlight of Superstars me. Nostalgia overload when it was first revealed.

I wonder if Pokemon stadium will come when GB comes to NSO too.
Or when classic Pokémon games become available as separate purchases...

If they follow the order of the image for release, as they did with the 2022 releases, then Mario Party 3 is January, and Pokémon Stadium (and potentially Pokémon Stadium 2, if they pull another double?) is February. February is also coincidentally the Pokémon anniversary month, and when they re-released Pokémon R/G/B/Y for Nintendo 3DS.

If they follow the order of the image for release, as they did with the 2022 releases, then Mario Party 3 is January, and Pokémon Stadium (and potentially Pokémon Stadium 2, if they pull another double?) is February. February is also coincidentally the Pokémon anniversary month, and when they re-released Pokémon R/G/B/Y for Nintendo 3DS.
A double release of Pokemon Stadium would make a lot of sense and be ideal. I really hope so because I'd rather not wait too much longer for games like DK64 and Smash 64 (which for some reason was never released on the Wii U VC).

Nintendo seems pretty much done on doing separate releases/purchases of classic games. Only examples of this in the Switch era are time limited things like Mario 3d all stars and the Fire Emblem Shadow Dragon translation.

We're either getting Gameboy Online with the Pokemon games or we aren't getting them at all.

I could see them making the games available within the Game Boy tower, so you would basically be emulating the games within the emulated game.

Nintendo seems pretty much done on doing separate releases/purchases of classic games. Only examples of this in the Switch era are time limited things like Mario 3d all stars and the Fire Emblem Shadow Dragon translation.

The fact that there are two examples of them doing separately purchased classic releases since the launch of NSO sort of suggests that they’re not done doing them.

Also, few of Nintendo’s classic games have as much value or as much of a built-in audience as classic PokĂ©mon. Nintendo is a business. PokĂ©mon R/G/B/Y with built-in PokĂ©mon Home support is something that they could sell and it would sell well.

We're either getting Gameboy Online with the Pokemon games or we aren't getting them at all.

Why? I keep seeing people say this and it doesn’t make any sense at all to me. Why on Earth would Nintendo say “well, we can’t include PokĂ©mon as part of Game Boy NSO, guess we might as well just cancel the whole thing and leave all those other Game Boy games to rot.” The Game Boy had essentially a full console generation before PokĂ©mon arrived. Classic Nintendo franchises like Kirby and even Wave Race got their start on Game Boy, and many Nintendo franchises saw key installments on the platform. Adding the system would still be a value add for NSO even without PokĂ©mon.

I mean, they added Genesis to NSO, for christ’s sake. I don’t see a world where it makes sense to add Genesis to NSO, but the system with Metroid II and Donkey Kong ‘94 doesn’t earn its keep as a worthwhile addition to Nintendo’s classic games library without PokĂ©mon.

PokĂ©mon is sort of exception for Nintendo in a lot of ways, since they don’t wholly own or control it. The PokĂ©mon releases on 3DS were not part of the Game Boy Virtual Console program, they were higher-priced “premium” releases. I don’t see why “they’ll do the same thing they just did on the 3DS a few years ago” is somehow hard to believe.

The fact that there are two examples of them doing separately purchased classic releases since the launch of NSO sort of suggests that they’re not done doing them.

Also, few of Nintendo’s classic games have as much value or as much of a built-in audience as classic PokĂ©mon. Nintendo is a business. PokĂ©mon R/G/B/Y with built-in PokĂ©mon Home support is something that they could sell and it would sell well.

Why? I keep seeing people say this and it doesn’t make any sense at all to me. Why on Earth would Nintendo say “well, we can’t include PokĂ©mon as part of Game Boy NSO, guess we might as well just cancel the whole thing and leave all those other Game Boy games to rot.” The Game Boy had essentially a full console generation before PokĂ©mon arrived. Classic Nintendo franchises like Kirby and even Wave Race got their start on Game Boy, and many Nintendo franchises saw key installments on the platform. Adding the system would still be a value add for NSO even without PokĂ©mon.

I mean, they added Genesis to NSO, for christ’s sake. I don’t see a world where it makes sense to add Genesis to NSO, but the system with Metroid II and Donkey Kong ‘94 doesn’t earn its keep as a worthwhile addition to Nintendo’s classic games library without PokĂ©mon.

PokĂ©mon is sort of exception for Nintendo in a lot of ways, since they don’t wholly own or control it. The PokĂ©mon releases on 3DS were not part of the Game Boy Virtual Console program, they were higher-priced “premium” releases. I don’t see why “they’ll do the same thing they just did on the 3DS a few years ago” is somehow hard to believe.
No I think Gameboy Online will happen. It's a case of the only way I see the Pokemon games coming to the system is if they are a part of Gameboy Online (with a tiny chance of being built into the Pokemon stadium games themselves).

If they go the Fire Emblem or 3d all stars route the games will be time limited. Like only available for purchase for 6 months. Nintendo's retro games are tied to the online apps now and I don't see them going against that ever again. Virtual console and other things along those lines are a dead concept.

Consider this:

The new N64 NSO icon set, double gold coin bonus and (Japan exclusive) N64 merch items run from November 2nd (same day these launch) to the end of January.

It's looking pretty likely now that we'll be seeing GoldenEye in December and (more importantly) Mario Party 3 in January. Going off the schedule announced in the Direct, the February release would be Pokemon Stadium (maybe both at once); known for Game Boy transfer compatability.

February is Pokemon's anniversary month; it's when Gen 1 and 2 were released on Virtual Console in 2016 and 2017. February is also the most common timing for general Directs. If Nintendo wanted to, say, release Game Boy NSO with Pokemon titles included but were conscious of Scarlet and Violet launching in November, a good 3-4 month gap could be good enough for them.

It'll probably be June or September at this rate but I want to believe in February.

Super excited for this!

I grew up on Mario Party 2, it’s still a lot of fun to this day. And playing it online with friends sounds like a hoot.

Side note: why the heck is Mario Party 2 the ONLY entry in the entire series to feature the characters wearing outfits inspired by boards? I’m so, so shocked they never returned to that concept even once!

February is Pokemon's anniversary month; it's when Gen 1 and 2 were released on Virtual Console in 2016 and 2017. February is also the most common timing for general Directs. If Nintendo wanted to, say, release Game Boy NSO with Pokemon titles included but were conscious of Scarlet and Violet launching in November, a good 3-4 month gap could be good enough for them.

It'll probably be June or September at this rate but I want to believe in February.

I think the chances of Pokémon Stadium releasing without some sort of release of a Pokémon R/G/B/Y release that can transfer Pokémon to it is pretty low. Same with Stadium 2 and Pokémon G/S/C.

Whether the release of those games is part of an expansion of GB to NSO or something else is up for debate. As I’ve said, I can see GB being added to NSO later, with these PokĂ©mon releases instead being separate paid products at $9.99 a pop or whatever.

A release of classic Pokémon games is also exactly the sort of thing you can announce and release, say, in the interim between theoretically revealing theoretical new hardware and theoretically releasing it, without causing too much confusion as to whether the games are exclusive to the new hardware and the like.

Interesting announcement, these are the two remaining games stated for 2022, and they wouldn't launch together just to not have a game in December, so probably the last month of the year is for Goldeneye. That would be a nice Christmas gift, and spending that time playing with the family to Mario party and Goldeneye again, I have travelled back in time 20 years.

And I imagine this rule out the possibility of GB/GBA this year. I'm starting to think seriously that they will launch as a separate purchase the classical Pokémon games (R/B/Y and G/S/C) simultaneously with the stadium games. I would be ok with this as these games would need more work to make them compatible with Home, and then when they will launch the GB/GBA people won't complain for the lack of Pokémon. And I think it would be easier to make them compatible with stadium and Home if they are stand alone releases rather than being included on a NSO app. Not re-releasing classic games given the current state of the franchise and also using the launch of the stadium games for the first time on a modern device would be dumb and a wasted opportunity.

Last edited:
Interesting announcement, these are the two remaining games stated for 2022, and they wouldn't launch together just to not have a game in December, so probably the last month of the year is for Goldeneye. That would be a nice Christmas gift, and spending that time playing with the family to Mario party and Goldeneye again, I have travelled back in time 20 years.

That’s exactly my thought. Wanting it to be a surprise would explain why they were weirdly coy about the release period in the Direct. Also, it’ll be nice to have the release be in the 25th anniversary year.

And I imagine this rule out the possibility of GB/GBA this year. I'm starting to think seriously that they will launch as a separate purchase the classical Pokémon games (R/B/Y and G/S/C) simultaneously with the stadium games. I would be ok with this as these games would need more work to make them compatible with Home, and then when they will launch the GB/GBA people won't complain for the lack of Pokémon. And I think it would be easier to make them compatible with stadium if they are stand alone releases rather than being included on a NSO app.

Yup. 👍

I think GB NSO is a fall 2023 thing. This year they didn’t really need it as a renewal driver, with Splatoon, and with still having some big N64 games to release. But by next fall the N64 games will probably start to thin out and it’ll be a good time to introduce a new system.

That’s exactly my thought. Wanting it to be a surprise would explain why they were weirdly coy about the release period in the Direct. Also, it’ll be nice to have the release be in the 25th anniversary year.

Yup. 👍

I think GB NSO is a fall 2023 thing. This year they didn’t really need it as a renewal driver, with Splatoon, and with still having some big N64 games to release. But by next fall the N64 games will probably start to thin out and it’ll be a good time to introduce a new system.
Yes, I think so. I don't see them launching new consoles in the first half of the year when you can use them to drive subscription renewals on September-October, they aren't in a hurry. And they won't launch neither just to have Pokémon, when those games alone can sell a ton. Regarding that, I firmly believe it's now or never, you sell a lot of games and also boost subscriptions showing them compatible with the stadiums.

It’s hard to imagine them trying to release Game Boy NSO so far into the Switch’s lifespan without the biggest games on the platform available. Selling the PokĂ©mon games individually certainly could happen, seeing as they were given an inflated price on 3DS VC; but I think Nintendo would rather have them part of their sub service. It’s the most enticing offering they have remaining for retro games that are reasonable without adding a third tier, honestly.

QAjw7I1.png

I know Konami owns what was formerly Hudson, but is it normal they retroactively get this copyright on the games? Does that give them any control over its release?
I'm sure that's just for the use of the Hudson logo and nothing else. Konami would have no say or control over the re-release of any past Mario Party game, as Nintendo owned the copyright outright originally.
He's in the credits for Mario Party 2 though?
Could well just be for the rearrangements of the music from Mario Party 1, it's never really been made clear who composed what. Also keep in mind that Mario Party 2 was originally going to be released as a 64DD expansion pack for the original Mario Party (which is why there are so many returning minigames from the first game in MP2); hell, the 64DD compatibility is still actually there in MP1's code! But when the 64DD project became clearly doomed? The Mario Party Expansion Pack was instead retooled into a standalone cartridge sequel as Mario Party 2.

Also worth noting that there's quite a bit of music used in Chrono Cross (Also composed by Yasunori Mitsuda at around the same time as MP1 & MP2's release) that sounds like it was originally composed for Mario Party...

This music in particular was almost certainly originally composed for Mario Party 1/2 and then repurposed in Chrono Cross.

Last edited:
I'm sure that's just for the use of the Hudson logo and nothing else. Konami would have no say or control over the re-release of any past Mario Party game, as Nintendo owned the copyright outright originally.

If we look at the releases of the old Mario Party games, Hudson actually is credited in the copyright along with Nintendo. It's not for the logo alone; the games themselves were co-owned with Hudson (and now Konami), similar to how the Mario Tennis/Golf games are co-owned with Camelot. Of course certain things are owned by Nintendo outright; the Mario Party name, for example. They don't need Konami's permission to make new Mario Party games, or even recreate elements from the older titles (remaking old minigames, etc), but to actually re-release Hudson's work, they likely do have to clear it with Konami first.

I don't see Pokemon being standalone eShop releases. One reason I expect GB/GBC in the Expansion Pack is because of the Pokemon titles; they won't put that stuff in the base tier.

Surprised they're releasing both MP1 and MP2 together like that.

Maybe there is hope for GoldenEye this year...unless they also decide to just skip out on a game for December too lol

Surprised they're releasing both MP1 and MP2 together like that.

Maybe there is hope for GoldenEye this year...unless they also decide to just skip out on a game for December too lol

Since both Nintendo and Microsoft have a say over GoldenEye I figure the latter will be the ones to announce the release date (as it is a simultaneous launch on both Game Pass and NSO) at this point. The Japanese Direct may have said it was coming in 2023 but since the international Direct only had “coming soon” I think the chances of it showing up before the end of the year everywhere else is high.

QAjw7I1.png

I suppose this is more to do with the Hudson logo than anything with they having any control over the title. Nintendo is the publisher and they own the Mario Party IP and all its content, after all.

But in general, yeah, that how thing goes with copyright, right? SEGA is the one publishing Super Puyo Puyo 2 on the SNES app on NSO, and of course, we have Banjo-Kazooie by Xbox Game Studios.

Back
Top Bottom