• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • General system instability
    🚧 We apologise for the recent server issues. The site may be unavaliable while we investigate the problem. 🚧

NSO Mario Party 1 and 2 Coming to NSO Expansion Pack on November 2nd

Getting 2 games in November is nice since we got none in September. Now give us Goldeneye in December and it's a good end to the year.

What's even weirder is that in the news article on the official website. Mario Party 3 still credit Hudson Soft and not Konami for some reason.

Screenshot_20221021-084215_Chrome.jpg

PS. Also they got the Pilotwing 64 copyright wrong lol. I wonder what game they mixed that up.

In terms of 100% Nintendo owned N64 games, Smash 64 and DK64 are by far the biggest omissions.
I am under the impression that Itoi* needs to approve of releases that include Ness. However, Super Smash Bros. is a particularly interesting case in that the usual Itoi/Ape copyright that's part of every other Smash game doesn't appear in the original. I don't know if this was a weird move to hide Ness (as he was a secret fighter), but I imagine the usual copyright holdups are still there regardless. They similarly need the okay from the Pokemon copyright holders, though that shouldn't be an issue.

Rareware DK rereleases always seem odd in terms of timing. Combined with their collective pull from the Wii VC and I believe something's up with their legal status. It seems simple for Nintendo to get the okay nowadays, but it's interesting to me that it took 10 months for DKC to arrive on NSO after the SNES launch (with the sequels not far behind). Of course, Nintendo lists themselves as the sole copyright owner, so it's muddy. Still, shouldn't be that hard to get this game on there when the DKC trilogy and Banjo-Kazooie are there.

*It wouldn't shock me if the problem with getting EarthBound on NSO was haggling over compensation. It's the first time Itoi's titles have been offered as part of a larger subscription, and assuming he previously made royalties on his rereleases there's no clean equivalent of that under the NSO model that's fair to both sides.

There’s not as many left as NES and SNES so I think it’s pretty easy to break down the remaining first-party N64 games into a few groups of liklihood.

Guaranteed (the remaining titles published worldwide by Nintendo, with no major emulation complications):
  • Banjo-Tooie (planned for Wii U VC)
  • Blast Corps (planned for Wii U VC)
  • Diddy Kong Racing (planned for Wii U VC)
  • Donkey Kong 64 (already on Wii U VC)
  • Super Smash Bros. (already on Wii VC)
Possible (games only released in certain regions or with some emulation difficult that needs to be overcome):
  • Animal Forest (JP; planned for Wii VC; NSO emulator already supports real time clock emulation so this could easily happen eventually).
  • Cruis’n USA (US/PAL; already on Wii VC)
  • Cruis’n World (US/PAL)
  • Hey You, Pikachu! (Worldwide; NSO emulator had microphone text added similar to that from the Famicom app; might be in the works)
  • Shigesato Itoi's No. 1 Bass Fishing: Definitive Edition (JP; Norio Hikone owns the game’s character designs, only realistic hurdle)
  • Killer Instinct Gold (US/PAL; planned for Wii U VC)
  • Shiren the Wanderer 2 (JP; planned for Wii and Wii U VC; music composed by Koichi Sugiyama may be a hurdle in the present)
  • The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time Master Quest (could be added as a fun bonus; depends on if Nintendo view it as it’s own N64 title)
Unlikely (various reasons):
  • Any Nintendo 64DD titles (Nintendo unfortunately don’t seem interested in rereleasing any of them)
  • Any remaining non-video game licensed titles (assume GoldenEye is the exception right now)
  • Unreleased titles (it’s always possible for Nintendo to pull out Panel de Pon 64, Mini Racers or potentially 64 Wars as their next Star Fox 2, but that’s not at all guaranteed to happen again)
  • Ogre Battle 64 (published by Nintendo in Japan; on Wii and Wii U VC but it’s all up to Square Enix and they’ve remained uncooperative on NSO thus far)
  • Pocket Monsters Stadium (JP; the first title of the Stadium sub-series seemingly skipped over for the more complete sequel; planned for Wii U VC tho)
  • Ridge Racer 64 / StarCraft 64 (US/PAL; just feels unlikely for the related parties to want these games rereleases; RR64 was developed externally by NST, not by Namco; and Blizzard have StarCraft Remastered available that they’d probably prefer to push)
  • Tetrisphere / The New Tetris (US/PAL; The Tetris Company is more protective of the core Tetris mechanics than they were in this era and with special exceptions games that don’t comply aren’t tolerated anymore).

What's even weirder is that in the news article on the official website. Mario Party 3 still credit Hudson Soft and not Konami for some reason.

Screenshot_20221021-084215_Chrome.jpg

PS. Also they got the Pilotwing 64 copyright wrong lol. I wonder what game they mixed that up.

Mario Party 3 would be a leftover from the initial reveal in September, where western sources listed Hudson for all three of them and Japanese sources said Konami. Generally NSO hasn’t be totally consistent between listing original copyright and updated copyright, so it makes some sense.

Last edited:
There’s not as many left as NES and SNES so I think it’s pretty easy to break down the remaining first-party N64 games into a few groups of liklihood.

Guaranteed (the remaining titles published worldwide by Nintendo, with no major emulation complications):
Possible (games only released in certain regions or with some emulation difficult that needs to be overcome):
  • Animal Forest (JP; planned for Wii VC; NSO emulator already supports real time clock emulation so this could easily happen eventually).
  • Cruis’n World (US/PAL)
  • Hey You, Pikachu! (Worldwide; NSO emulator had microphone text added similar to that from the Famicom app; might be in the works)
  • Shigesato Itoi's No. 1 Bass Fishing: Definitive Edition (JP; Norio Hikone owns the game’s character designs, only realistic hurdle)
  • Shiren the Wanderer 2 (JP; planned for Wii and Wii U VC; music composed by Koichi Sugiyama may be a hurdle in the present)
  • The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time Master Quest (could be added as a fun bonus; depends on if Nintendo view it as it’s own N64 title)
  • Any Nintendo 64DD titles (Nintendo unfortunately don’t seem interested in rereleasing any of them)
  • Any remaining non-video game licensed titles (assume GoldenEye is the exception right now)
  • Unreleased titles (it’s always possible for Nintendo to pull out Panel de Pon 64, Mini Racers or potentially 64 Wars as their next Star Fox 2, but that’s not at all guaranteed to happen again)
  • Ogre Battle 64 (published by Nintendo in Japan; on Wii and Wii U VC but it’s all up to Square Enix and they’ve remained uncooperative on NSO thus far)
  • Pocket Monsters Stadium (JP; the first title of the Stadium sub-series seemingly skipped over for the more complete sequel; planned for Wii U VC tho)
  • Ridge Racer 64 / StarCraft 64 (US/PAL; just feels unlikely for the related parties to want these games rereleases; RR64 was developed externally by NST, not by Namco; and Blizzard have StarCraft Remastered available that they’d probably prefer to push)
  • Tetrisphere / The New Tetris (US/PAL; The Tetris Company is more protective of the core Tetris mechanics than they were in this era and with special exceptions games that don’t comply aren’t tolerated anymore).

Mario Party 3 would be a leftover from the initial reveal in September, where western sources listed Hudson for all three of them and Japanese sources said Konami. Generally NSO hasn’t be totally consistent between listing original copyright and updated copyright, so it makes some sense.
I’d say Ridge Racer 64 has decent odds since it was Nintendo codeveloped and BN has shown a decent amount of NSO support. Also you forgot CRUIS’N exotica.

Konami games have decent odds, there were multiple Bomberman games on VC, the Goemon series is pretty low value and with the genesis games we can’t rule out the Castlevanias. Plus deadly arts and Hybrid Heaven are just sitting there.

Snowboard kids 1/2 are likely as Atlus green lit SMT in Japan and do I need to say more on Sega.

Perhaps they’re planning a third party heavy wave? They think that it would be better received/TP would prefer it if they got the spotlight?

I’d say Ridge Racer 64 has decent odds since it was Nintendo codeveloped and BN has shown a decent amount of NSO support. Also you forgot CRUIS’N exotica.

Guessing they didn't count Exotica because unlike the first two Cruis'n titles, Nintendo didn't actually publish the N64 version of it.

Worth pointing out Mondo counted Diddy Kong Racing, even though technically Rare themselves published the N64 version (just as they did with Conker, Perfect Dark and Jet Force). Though Nintendo would publish the DS remake, so...

I remember back when Cruis 'n Blast was about to come out on Switch, the devs expressed the desire to bring USA, World and Exotica over as well; If they can't manage to bring the Arcade originals, having a deal to put the N64 versions on NSO app would be perfect.

• Cruis’n World (US/PAL)

This has almost been certainly addressed by you elsewhere as I know you're the primary person keeping up with all this (and a hello from ERA!), but would the Custom Robo games not fit into this list. I've seen some indications you know 38 is not the "upper bound" on this as well, but I'm just checking where that is as well since I'm a little out of the loop. A reality in which we get Banjo-Tooie, Blast Corps, Diddy Kong Racing, and DK64 sounds honestly too good to be true for a N64 service.

Also, where would Conker's Bad Fur Day (I know it's extremely unlikely given it's ultra mature content), Jet Force Gemini, and Perfect Dark fit into this list? They are still very much other classic Rare games alongside the others already discussed for the system. Just again being nosy since I haven't super paid attention to all the updates on the service from a speculation standpoint.

This has almost been certainly addressed by you elsewhere as I know you're the primary person keeping up with all this (and a hello from ERA!), but would the Custom Robo games not fit into this list. I've seen some indications you know 38 is not the "upper bound" on this as well, but I'm just checking where that is as well since I'm a little out of the loop. A reality in which we get Banjo-Tooie, Blast Corps, Diddy Kong Racing, and DK64 sounds honestly too good to be true for a N64 service.

Also, where would Conker's Bad Fur Day (I know it's extremely unlikely given it's ultra mature content), Jet Force Gemini, and Perfect Dark fit into this list? They are still very much other classic Rare games alongside the others already discussed for the system. Just again being nosy since I haven't super paid attention to all the updates on the service from a speculation standpoint.

Hey, that’s a name I recognize from the smash threads; welcome!

The Custom Robo games both already released in Japan in July, so they’re accounted for. If you mean the datamined list of games from back when the service launched, they would be part of that but since they’ve randomly shuffled the IDs there’s no way to know where they would’ve been with accuracy. 38 was always a bare minimum rather than the maximum (same for the Mega Drive’s 52), and when all of the currently announced games release we’ll be at 30/38; easy enough to pass that in year three of N64 drops.

Conker, Jet Force Gemini and Perfect Dark weren’t actually published by Nintnedo on N64 (Diddy Kong Racing wasn’t either but it’s too associated with Nintnedo for me to exclude, to address people bringing it up above). I think the latter two have a fairly good shot at showing up though; and GoldenEye brings newfound hope for Conker as the Japanese release has been given a Cero Z, and the Japanese NSO site notes it will only be available to users aged 18 and up. Seems like the NSO apps are likely to receive an age restriction feature in the near future (tied to parental controls, or maybe simply reading your account’s date of birth?) which makes Conker a valid possibility worldwide too.

Hey, that’s a name I recognize from the smash threads; welcome!

The Custom Robo games both already released in Japan in July, so they’re accounted for. If you mean the datamined list of games from back when the service launched, they would be part of that but since they’ve randomly shuffled the IDs there’s no way to know where they would’ve been with accuracy. 38 was always a bare minimum rather than the maximum (same for the Mega Drive’s 52), and when all of the currently announced games release we’ll be at 30/38; easy enough to pass that in year three of N64 drops.

Conker, Jet Force Gemini and Perfect Dark weren’t actually published by Nintnedo on N64 (Diddy Kong Racing wasn’t either but it’s too associated with Nintnedo for me to exclude, to address people bringing it up above). I think the latter two have a fairly good shot at showing up though; and GoldenEye brings newfound hope for Conker as the Japanese release has been given a Cero Z, and the Japanese NSO site notes it will only be available to users aged 18 and up. Seems like the NSO apps are likely to receive an age restriction feature in the near future (tied to parental controls, or maybe simply reading your account’s date of birth?) which makes Conker a valid possibility worldwide too.
Thank you for the welcome and the explanations!

And ah, I see, that makes a lot of sense. I was basing the commentary off the initial list of 38 with the IDs acting as slots that the releases were filling (shows you how long it has been since I've paid attention lol). With the Custom Robo games (and Harvest Moon 64, which I'll seriously mourn that we can't get on NSO due to the licensing issues in the US but we got on the Wii U's crappy emulator), I thought the 4 "slots" we had would be half filled and only allow for two more of the classic games there. And well, it'd be weird to not get Banjo-Tooie OR Diddy Kong Racing (I'm especially excited that we might finally get Diddy Kong Racing back after all these years) but if there was only space for 2, DK64 was definitely taking up one slot given it did release on N64. I'm glad to hear we've since seen the IDs shuffled and thus can account for potentially several more games.

And oh wow, I'd always thought everything Rare did on N64 was published by Nintendo for some reason. Didn't actually know that they didn't. Very interesting on the increase in age rating for Goldeneye... but a kid accidentally getting their hands on Goldeneye is one thing in the age of COD practically being partially for kids at this point, but Conker, well Conker is definitely something else lol.

Do you think that the back-end of the N64 NSO would be so Rare heavy though. It makes sense as Nintendo pushes out the other titles they can easily put on the service, but so far we've gotten Banjo-Kazooie and now Goldeneye coming up in the first year that feels very drip feeding of such classics that makes me wonder how committed Nintendo and Microsoft are to releasing their N64 catalogue. Like if we were going to get Killer Instinct Gold, I would probably expect Killer Instinct SNES to also be around. And with a new Perfect Dark game on Xbox Series X they may end up wanting to keep an IP they see as a valuable Microsoft exclusive a little more in house? Not trying to discredit the possibilities, probably more just a fear more than anything since I'd love for this service to end up the definitive way to play N64 games we've had since Wii with a wider catalogue.

Do you think that the back-end of the N64 NSO would be so Rare heavy though. It makes sense as Nintendo pushes out the other titles they can easily put on the service, but so far we've gotten Banjo-Kazooie and now Goldeneye coming up in the first year that feels very drip feeding of such classics that makes me wonder how committed Nintendo and Microsoft are to releasing their N64 catalogue. Like if we were going to get Killer Instinct Gold, I would probably expect Killer Instinct SNES to also be around. And with a new Perfect Dark game on Xbox Series X they may end up wanting to keep an IP they see as a valuable Microsoft exclusive a little more in house? Not trying to discredit the possibilities, probably more just a fear more than anything since I'd love for this service to end up the definitive way to play N64 games we've had since Wii with a wider catalogue.
Like you said, I just think Nintendo probably just wants to focus on getting all of their first party titles on the service before anything else. Now there's really not much left outside of like, DK64 and Smash.

I think from around the next renewal period it’ll be more third-party heavy in general, not just Rare content. That’s how NES and SNES adapted when they started running low on the obvious first-party titles (though even there they’ve avoided fully exhausting everything; the drip feed must go on). I think the original Perfect Dark and Killer Instincts being available on the service would just be seen as good promo for the newer projects available on Microsoft’s own platforms.

I do hope we get some NES and SNES Rare titles eventually too. No reason to not drop the original Battletoads if they’ve sorted out Banjo-Kazooie and GoldenEye already.

I think from around the next renewal period it’ll be more third-party heavy in general, not just Rare content. That’s how NES and SNES adapted when they started running low on the obvious first-party titles (though even there they’ve avoided fully exhausting everything; the drip feed must go on). I think the original Perfect Dark and Killer Instincts being available on the service would just be seen as good promo for the newer projects available on Microsoft’s own platforms.

I do hope we get some NES and SNES Rare titles eventually too. No reason to not drop the original Battletoads if they’ve sorted out Banjo-Kazooie and GoldenEye already.
Really kills me the NES and SNES have dropped so completely off their radar and that Genesis is seemingly updated at random too. Wish the service had any sort of consistency beyond the N64 releases at this point.

Fingers crossed they can introduce GB/GBC games sooner rather than later to prop up the service a little with more consistent releases.

The Genesis updates aren't that random; they usually update every two months. The fact that we are getting next month's N64 update so early bodes pretty well for some new Genesis titles.

Really kills me the NES and SNES have dropped so completely off their radar and that Genesis is seemingly updated at random too. Wish the service had any sort of consistency beyond the N64 releases at this point.

Fingers crossed they can introduce GB/GBC games sooner rather than later to prop up the service a little with more consistent releases.
This past year since Expansion Pack launched is the most consistent they’ve had since the first year of NES honestly. Unless you've been obsessing over it like I have it's probably difficult to notice, but they've almost consistantly alternated like N64 - MD - N64 - NES/SNES.
  • December:
    • N64: Paper Mario
    • MD: ToeJam & Earl, Altered Beast, Dynamite Headdy, Thunder Force Ⅱ, Sword of Vermilion
  • January:
    • N64: Banjo-Kazooie
  • February:
    • NES / SNES: EarthBound Beginnings, EarthBound
    • N64: The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask
  • March:
    • N64: F-Zero X
    • MD: Alien Soldier, Super Fantasy Zone, Light Crusader
    • NES / SNES: Dig Dug Ⅱ, Mappy Land, Harvest Moon (JP), Earthworm Jim 2 (INT)
  • April:
    • N64: Mario Golf
    • MD: Space Harrier Ⅱ, Shining Force Ⅱ, Sonic The Hedgehog Spinball
  • May:
    • N64: Kirby 64: The Crystal Shards
    • NES / SNES: Pinball, Rival Turf!, Congo's Caper (INT), Umihara Kawase (JP)
  • June:
    • SNES: Kirby SP versions (anniversary celebration)
    • N64: Pokémon Snap
    • MD: Target Earth, MEGA MAN: THE WILY WARS, Comix Zone, Zero Wing
  • July:
    • N64: Custom Robo (JP), Custom Robo V2 (JP), Pokémon Puzzle League (JP)
    • NES / SNES: Daiva Story 6: Imperial of Nirsartia, Fighter's History, Kirby's Super Star Stacker (JP), Kirby's Avalanche (INT)
  • August:
    • N64: Wave Race
  • September:
    • MD: ALISIA DRAGOON, Earthworm Jim, Beyond Oasis
  • October:
    • N64: Pilotwings 64
  • November:
    • N64: Mario Party, Mario Party 2
Wouldn't rule out the posibility of a NES / SNES update this week to keep up that pattern; or both NES/SNES and MD in November as catch-up. We'll see in a few days!

Mario Party is one of the few games that I and my wife play together. My marriage is going to be thriving with all these Mario Party options on the Switch :p

Big news for all Bass Fishers out there; Korone is going to stream Shigesato Itoi's No. 1 Bass Fishing: Definitive Edition in less than an hour!

What’s notable about this is that as part of how Hololive operates they receive permission from the appropriate copyright holders to stream each game; and in this case the description obviously says they have permission from Nintendo.

この動画およびライブは、任天堂著作物の利用許諾を受けて配信しています。

This is solid indication that it has no licensing issues blocking it from seeing rerelease on NSO. Let’s see how long it takes to happen.

Last edited:
Oh good, another excuse to add a western exclusive game like Killer Instinct Gold or something to the NA/PAL service at the same time lol

Yeah I'm not destroying these expensive ass controllers for Mario Party. I'll stick to the 2nd one. It has better boards and all the good games from 1 in it anyways.

Didn't they introduce a setting that turns off all the control stick games?

Honestly curious where you would've heard this because there's been like multiple instances now of Nintendo just... not doing anything about the control stick spinning in recent releases like Mario Party Island Tour, Top 100, and Superstars

There isn't even a ROM hack that fixes it as far as I know

Konami games have decent odds, there were multiple Bomberman games on VC, the Goemon series is pretty low value and with the genesis games we can’t rule out the Castlevanias. Plus deadly arts and Hybrid Heaven are just sitting there.

Snowboard kids 1/2 are likely as Atlus green lit SMT in Japan and do I need to say more on Sega.

Perhaps they’re planning a third party heavy wave? They think that it would be better received/TP would prefer it if they got the spotlight?
Please, you can't get my hopes up about Snowboard Kids. Is SEGA confirmed to own all of it? Atlus published it but the original dev was Racdym/Racjin (who I'm not even sure is still a game dev anymore?).

I never played much of either of these. I rented them back in the day. I really liked the Super Mario-style single-player mode with its stage progression and world map. It’s a shame it hasn’t been back since.

I really liked the Super Mario-style single-player mode with its stage progression and world map. It’s a shame it hasn’t been back since.

2 has a very similar mode in Minigame Coaster (though it has to be unlocked, unlike in the first); then many years later Top 100 brought back Minigame Island, and Super Mario Party included a mode identical to that in everything but name (Challenge Road). Still surprised Superstars didn't include anything like that though.

This limbo minigame in MP1 is complete bullshit. I do not remember having this much trouble with it as a kid.

Please, you can't get my hopes up about Snowboard Kids. Is SEGA confirmed to own all of it? Atlus published it but the original dev was Racdym/Racjin (who I'm not even sure is still a game dev anymore?).

I desperately need Snowboard Kids. Probably my most played N64 game as a kid overall - seriously. I’d lose it.

I'm just going to avoid Mario Party 1 entirely, the N64 NSO controller is far too precious.

Tempted to renew my EP sub - it expired last week. I will need online multiplayer before long for Splatoon 3; but realistically I'm not sure which N64/MD games I'll get around to playing any time soon.

Honestly curious where you would've heard this because there's been like multiple instances now of Nintendo just... not doing anything about the control stick spinning in recent releases like Mario Party Island Tour, Top 100, and Superstars

There isn't even a ROM hack that fixes it as far as I know
This is the most mind blowing thing to me. You'd think over the past 20 years someone would have made a "mash A instead of stick spin" hack for MP1. There are tools to make your own custom board for MP1-3 but nothing to disable control stick spinning in MP1.

I'm not actually that familiar with music genres, is big band jazz a weird request? The Mario Party soundtrack is completely perfect for what it is, seems like it was worth it in the end 🤔
They’re just 2 completely different vibes and style

I'm not actually that familiar with music genres, is big band jazz a weird request? The Mario Party soundtrack is completely perfect for what it is, seems like it was worth it in the end 🤔
It's not a weird request at all, 3D World is full of big band jazz after all. It's that they didn't ask for it until much later, leading to Mitsuda scrapping 200ish songs. Unless specified, I assume most composers would think of more traditional, New Orleans style if a client requested "jazz".

As someone who grew up with 2 it's so funny to see how many games were copy + pasted and improved from 1, as well as how savage some games can be from the original. So many 'steal coins from other people' minigames

Back
Top Bottom