• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

News Mario & Luigi Brothership announced for Nintendo Switch, coming November 7th

My current pet guess for the developer is ILCA.
It's one of my favorite games ever, and I replayed it recently and it totally holds up. It's definitely descended from the same DNA as Super Mario RPG and Paper Mario, but in a slightly different direction. Going by the trailer, Brothership is definitely in the same vein as Superstar Saga.
Brothership definitely seems like a much needed "back to basics." M&L sequels got bogged down in gimmicks and minigames.

i'll be honest the more I think about it the more excited I get lmao

I just really like the art and animations. I like what I've seen from the islands we'll be going to.

Some additional details from the EU site, with the part in bold catching my attention in particular:

The brothers return for a brand new adventure on the high seas! Set sail with Mario and Luigi on Shipshape Island (part ship, part island) and journey through the vast world of Concordia. Launch out of Shipshape’s cannon to visit, explore, and quest your way through islands that range from tropical rainforests to bustling cities.

Meet new friends along the way, like Connie and Snoutlet (who's definitely not a pig), and encounter familiar faces from the Mushroom Kingdom like Peach and Bowser, who may help you on your journey!

You’ll have to rely on Mario and Luigi’s brotherly bond to succeed. Use Bros. Moves to get past obstacles while you explore, and powerful Bros. Attacks in a dynamic twist on turn-based combat. You’ll need every edge this 'brothership' will give you to save the day!

So this wasn't made super clear in the trailer, but it sounds like Bowser might be more of an ally in this one. Which I hope is the case, because if there's one tradition I'm hoping this game breaks, it's Bowser/possessed Bowser/a clone of Bowser/etc. being the final boss. I've felt pretty fatigued on that front for M&L for a long time and would like to see them do something different with the climax this time around.

Bring back Midbus! As a mid boss.

1200px-Midbus_Artwork_-_Mario_and_Luigi_BiS.png

Some additional details from the EU site, with the part in bold catching my attention in particular:

So this wasn't made super clear in the trailer, but it sounds like Bowser might be more of an ally in this one. Which I hope is the case, because if there's one tradition I'm hoping this game breaks, it's Bowser/possessed Bowser/a clone of Bowser/etc. being the final boss. I've felt pretty fatigued on that front for M&L for a long time and would like to see them do something different with the climax this time around.
I always felt they should get Bowser, Peach, Daisy & the like in on the action too for any new game in the series

Hell give me one with Bowser & all his kids he can team up with as the main characters.

My current pet guess for the developer is ILCA.

Brothership definitely seems like a much needed "back to basics." M&L sequels got bogged down in gimmicks and minigames.
Eh, that will depend on damage. The big problem with the 3DS games is that they kind of fell into a numbers trap where the combo nature of the bros attacks being infinite had them compensate by racking up the bosses HP (you see this hard in the remakes). M&L dealing thousands of damage in a turn kind of made it meaningless because of how much health the bosses had and the combo animation get dull when you have to do them 10-15 times a boss battle.

Bring back Midbus! As a mid boss.

1200px-Midbus_Artwork_-_Mario_and_Luigi_BiS.png
Oh, don't I WISH.

But I guess since his main role was to serve as Bowser's primary rival antagonist, we'd need the Bowz to be playable again, first.

Or, better yet, GIVE BOWSER HIS OWN RPG, DAMMIT.

The animation in this looks really great. This one really caught my eye and it might be my first Mario and Luigi game! (never got too into handheld-only gaming)

I wonder if we'll get any re-appearances of previous M&L characters? They've been in the habit of bringing back characters since Partners in Time. Dream Team even had Popple for a boss fight. Would love to see some cameos like that in this.

I'm not saying they'll make Fawful's ghost as a secret super-boss, but it could happen...

When this game popped up in the Direct, I was in disbelief. Once I saw the characters, I thought "Mario & Luigi? No way..." I believed this series was dead, and yet here it is, looking fantastic! These games have an energy that I didn't realize I'd missed. I played Super Mario RPG and enjoyed it way more than I expected. I just beat TTYD for the first time and had a good time there, too. Now a third Mario RPG is coming in November... What a great 12 months.

Last edited:
When this game popped up in the Direct, I was in disbelief. I think almost immediately the art style looked familiar, but as soon as I saw the characters, I thought "Mario & Luigi? No way..." I thought this series was dead, and yet here it is, looking fantastic! These games have an energy that I didn't realize I missed. I played Super Mario RPG and enjoyed it way more than I expected. I just beat TTYD for the first time and had a good time there, too. Now a third Mario RPG is coming in November... What a great 12 months.
Me too, man. I told someone yesterday the next time they see Mario and Luigi is in the form of a remake haha.

Not a bad thing to be wrong about tbh.

And that was historically the greatest strength of the Mario RPGs: you get the ability to thrust the familiar characters into truly unfamiliar situations, and introduce new threats. Even the last Rabbids game understood that assignment.

I don’t want to derail the threads, but lord I hope they do this with the next big mainline Zelda a few years from now. Need some fresh, never-before-seen monsters and such to fight!

Really excited to see more of the game's towns and cities and how they've evolved from the ones in past titles.

NSwitch-Mario-Luigi-Brothership-19-1.jpg

Biggest need for this game: unique battle themes for each major locale. Played Superstar Saga last year and was losing it after a few house of the same music over and over. TTYD shows we need varied battle themes.

Nintendo: “the Mario Mandate is dead”

Except it's blatantly not changed at all. People somehow tricked themselves in to thinking it meant no new original characters but that was never the case, with dream team bros in 2012 and bowsers inside story remake in 2019 (in the bowssrs jr minigame mode) both having new original, traditional NPCs and mistaking the deliberate design decisions taken at IntSys to make new original NPCs/bosses be a pair of scissors to mean something it didn't.

The 'mandate' is clearly still in full force here because what it actually is and always was is a restriction on how mario series characters can be shown, a Toad always has to look like a Toad and the most you can do is throw a costume on it. All the mario series characters like shy guys in the trailer look exactly like you'd expect them to in any game, while the spin off game makers they can do whatever they like for original characters.

Except it's blatantly not changed at all. People somehow tricked themselves in to thinking it meant no new original characters but that was never the case, with dream team bros in 2012 and bowsers inside story remake in 2019 (in the bowssrs jr minigame mode) both having new original, traditional NPCs and mistaking the deliberate design decisions taken at IntSys to make new original NPCs/bosses be a pair of scissors to mean something it didn't.

The 'mandate' is clearly still in full force here because what it actually is and always was is a restriction on how mario series characters can be shown, a Toad always has to look like a Toad and the most you can do is throw a costume on it. All the mario series characters like shy guys in the trailer look exactly like you'd expect them to in any game, while the spin off game makers they can do whatever they like for original characters.
that's true, but I'd still argue that the mandate got stricter over time. Paper Jam didn't have a single new character design afaik, it was only Koopas, Goombas, the Koopalings etc. Brothership seems to have at least many new original characters.

When watching the trailer, some things made me wonder if PlatinumGames is involved.
The animations, art style and some of the sound effects reminded me of Cereza. They also have nothing announced for this year, which is unusual. But it's unlikely.

Last edited:
that's true, but I'd still argue that the mandate got stricter over time. Paper Jam didn't have a single new character design afaik, it was only Koopas, Goombas, the Koopalings etc. Brothership seems to have at least many new original characters.
Paper Jam didn't have a single new character because, according to the staff themselves, the focus was on contrasting existing Mario characters in their paper and non-paper forms.
And even then, the remakes they did right after that stuck to their guns with their "original designs" most of the time (the only changes being clear development shortcuts) and then the Inside Story remake flat out added -new- characters never seen before in the original game with brand new looks.

The whole Mandate thing more or less seems to be the fruit of Paper Mario fans lashing out so badly they wanted to pretend there was some kind of franchise-wide push to destroy creativity or whatever despite the fact Mario Golf of all things was allowed to create brand new characters before any of these new RPGs came out. Like Linkstrikesback mentions, what the """"mandate"""" was more like a basic franchise style-guide bible than a spell conjured by Shigeru Miyamoto with the Sticker Star Wand or whatever.

Paper Jam didn't have a single new character because, according to the staff themselves, the focus was on contrasting existing Mario characters in their paper and non-paper forms.
Sounds reasonable but then where were all the quirky M&L characters and enemies we’ve known before – why are these “existing Mario characters” Peach, Bowser, the Koopalings and like 30.000 red Toads? Call this a conspiracy if you want but I definitely see a correlation between this game and Sticker Star/Color Splash. And I find it equally suspicious that now, in the course of a year, we’re getting Mario RPG, TTYD and a new M&L with many new character designs. I do think there was a shift at Nintendo.

Sounds reasonable but then where were all the quirky M&L characters and enemies we’ve known before – why are these “existing Mario characters” Peach, Bowser, the Koopalings and like 30.000 red Toads? Call this a conspiracy if you want but I definitely see a correlation between this game and Sticker Star/Color Splash. And I find it equally suspicious that now, in the course of a year, we’re getting Mario RPG, TTYD and a new M&L with many new character designs. I do think there was a shift at Nintendo.
Their statement that the focus was on existing Mario characters in Paper and non-paper forms was quite literally made after someone did your exact same question of "where were the ML original characters?". In fact, the game still features Starlow, who is a ML Original. Combining both the context of their reply and the fact Starlow was right there the whole time should give you more than enough reason to not need to waste your time with conspiracy theories.

Again, Mario and Luigi 3DS remakes happening right after Paper Jam included new sprites for characters like Starshade Bros. who are flat out super deformed wacky Toads despite also clearly redrawning characters like the Hammer Bros. and other assorted Bowser minions to resemble their original mainline Mario designs, which fits smoothly with what we know about how the franchise's style guide actually works, so why would you go out of your way to ignore that to fuel paranoia?

For anyone better at english than me, does Brothership mean the same as Brotherhood?
It's a pun on 'mothership' and 'brotherhood' and presumably references the idea the two brothers are sailing around on a big ship, which is probably a hub world for the game. You can see it clearly towards the end of the trailer.

I think regardless if there was a mandate or not, Nintendo noticed the growing perception of the Mario brand (as a whole, not just the RPGs) being artistically stale and are trying to counter it. Wonder spotlighting wackiness as a central theme in particular feels like a targeted response to criticisms of NSMB having boring art and mechanics.

I think regardless if there was a mandate or not, Nintendo noticed the growing perception of the Mario brand (as a whole, not just the RPGs) being artistically stale and are trying to counter it. Wonder spotlighting wackiness as a central theme in particular feels like a targeted response to criticisms of NSMB having boring art and mechanics.
I wouldn’t be surprised if the Developers also felt the same, since 3D Mario was always unique, meanwhile other Mario property always played it safe.

But seeing a Brand new Mario and Luigi game, with such a unique art style makes me happy, since Wonders and Brotherships, is a huge step.

This truly feels like, Nintendo new leadership, realising, that Mario’s biggest strengths is its uniqueness.

It’s crazy, despite Mario being so old, it’s still reinventing itself and still being such a icon, it’s a shame Mickey Mouse isn’t in the same situation, since he’s pretty much left to rot.

… should give you more than enough reason to not need to waste your time with conspiracy theories.

… so why would you go out of your way to ignore that to fuel paranoia?
no need for personal advice, thanks.

I see your points, but it didn’t really convince me. I didn’t enjoy Paper Jam at all and I see some correlation to the Paper Mario development, but since this is not a Paper Mario thread maybe we should just keep it that way. Looking forward to the new title.

WAIT WHAT.

NINTENDO.COM/EN-GB/ ?!

Oh, and I recently noticed the support URL on my Switch has changed to Nintendo.com, too.

Are they doing it?

Are they finally bringing everything under the one website?

THEY ARE! HOLY SHIT! YES!

nintendo.co.uk and ninfendo.co.jp redirect to .com!

Lots more work to do, Nintendo.com is still /us/ by default rather than catching the user's region, /EN-GB/ is technically correct but the site varies by region and not (just) language, so EN-EU (to include NI, ROI, Malta, etc.) could be more accurate. Really what they'd want to do is do language-region so they can have easier variation, like Microsoft's en-ie, etc.

Stores are still sepeated by TLD, with .ie not redirecting yet but store.nintendo.ie functioning. UIs still vary hugely between regions even with the same language, and en-gb doesn't properly display Euro pricing.

But what a huge step in the right direction I was hoping for!

Last edited:
They did a great job of translating the art style of that series to full 3d. I'm glad they kept the signature style, it would have been easy of them to just use generic Mario models from the party games or 3d world

I wouldn’t be surprised if the Developers also felt the same, since 3D Mario was always unique, meanwhile other Mario property always played it safe.

But seeing a Brand new Mario and Luigi game, with such a unique art style makes me happy, since Wonders and Brotherships, is a huge step.

This truly feels like, Nintendo new leadership, realising, that Mario’s biggest strengths is its uniqueness.

It’s crazy, despite Mario being so old, it’s still reinventing itself and still being such a icon, it’s a shame Mickey Mouse isn’t in the same situation, since he’s pretty much left to rot.
Mario is like a cartoon character. You can be very flexible with him and Nintendo is really leaning into.

Eh, given the numerous interviews, I think we need to accept that the Mario Mandate wasn't that strongly enforced by Nintendo but by Paper Mario director Tanabe. Multiple times we see that it's Tanabe enforcing and insisting to follow those rules to points that other games do not have. Even AlphaDream which did make some changes in SuperStar remake, kept most of the weird monsters (seriously, if you bring out that picture that isn't even a quarter of the weird enemies in that game stop pretending they removed every weird enemy) and for the Bowser's Inside Story remake, they even added more weird characters for the Bowser Jr mode. Brothership is its own game and it immediately goes back to its weird characters.

I don't know, I think people wanted to blame Miyamoto so badly that they kind of skipped over the multiple times where Tanabe himself says he is the one who keeps making the toads look the same.

Is it just me or do Mario and Luigi still sound like Martinet in the trailer

They literally sound the same as always to me. Are they using old voice clips?

Somewhat shocked that out of Mario, Metroid, and Zelda, this is the thread with the most peaceful and positive vibe.

A Mario RPG topic with everyone getting along.... This is weird, but I love it.

Back
Top Bottom