• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

News Mario & Luigi Brothership announced for Nintendo Switch, coming November 7th

Weird call. Idk if Nintendo would risk going with a studio like Arzest. They have had some alright projects, and tbh if it's just Arzest's manpower watched like a hawk by Nintendo's management, it'll end up ok. But I think Nintendo wouldn't want just an OK game to be the first on a console while also reviving a series. Maybe it's that Bamco studio people saw hiring for a Nintendo project? Not the Mario Kart or Smash studios or whatever, there was another job posting.
When Arzest was still called Artoon they developed games like Blue Dragon and The Last Story. Or more recently Fantasian. They're a pretty experienced RPG developer and unlike their platformers those usually actually turn out well. They wouldn't be a particularly weird fit for Mario & Luigi. Creative lead would probably be some former Alpha Dream staff, but that's likely the case regardless of which studio is responsible for actual development duties.

However, according to their website Arzest only has 80 employees. Considering Sonic Superstars only released last year and the Fantasian port coming out this year, I'm not sure they would have actually had the manpower to also develop Mario & Luigi while they were busy with those games.

Don't let this distract you from the fact that Luigi's socks are still censored

1718737639420.jpg

Art style in-game representstion is wonderful
Battle system seems even more fresh and action-ish than ever

Great

Delightful surprise to see this announced. I wanted a ML game that did the game's art style but in 3D from the very day the Switch was shown to us, but of course I lost hope when Alphadream kind of DIED. Glad to see it happened anyway! I've always been more of a fan of ML than Paper Mario so naturally this excites me more than the PM2 remake did.

Do we know who is developing?
my two theories:

1) Next Level Games - art style aside, the feel of this screams NLG to me. Animations, especially.

2) kinda out there but, MonolithSoft. Lots of AlphaDream staff went to MS after they closed. So maybe? Or at least maybe they're assisting on it?

Glad that Nintendo is returning to actual Mario RPGs again with Super Mario RPG remake, Thousand Year Door remake, and now Mario & Luigi: Brothership.

my two theories:

1) Next Level Games - art style aside, the feel of this screams NLG to me. Animations, especially.

2) kinda out there but, MonolithSoft. Lots of AlphaDream staff went to MS after they closed. So maybe? Or at least maybe they're assisting on it?
The game look great in gameplay, but i thought it's a bit low poly in the closeups for the cienmatics and not up to NLG standards. Made me think it could be any number of the 'for-hire' devs in Japan and would fit with the theme of this direct employing outsourced teams for 2nd string games (not a knock against the quality of the games themselves).

I am assuming that Zelda game, which is probably the biggest 2024 game they have, is Grezzo.

the animation work is fucking outstanding I'd argue it's even a step above the previous games, the developers did a great job.

I always believed this series would come back, and now it looks better than ever! What an amazing artstyle!

I really really really hope they capitalise on this being the first M&L entry on a home console and add proper 2-player support. This series feels like the perfect coop multiplayer game to me. The absence or inclusion kind of makes or breaks the game for me. I'd love to play it with my bro.

I thought it was weird when a Paper Mario remake followed so soon after a Super Mario RPG remake. And now a new Mario & Luigi very soon after that. I wonder how this situation came about, I'd normally expect Nintendo to spread these things out a bit more.

Cool that twenty years ago Mario & Luigi really leaned into an even-less-realistic-than-normal drawn Mario style, and now it's being replicated pretty well in 3D.

The game look great in gameplay, but i thought it's a bit low poly in the closeups for the cienmatics and not up to NLG standards. Made me think it could be any number of the 'for-hire' devs in Japan and would fit with the theme of this direct employing outsourced teams for 2nd string games (not a knock against the quality of the games themselves).

I am assuming that Zelda game, which is probably the biggest 2024 game they have, is Grezzo.
I highly doubt this is outsourced like SMRPG. Seems most likely Monolith Soft.

I thought it was weird when a Paper Mario remake followed so soon after a Super Mario RPG remake. And now a new Mario & Luigi very soon after that. I wonder how this situation came about, I'd normally expect Nintendo to spread these things out a bit more.

Cool that twenty years ago Mario & Luigi really leaned into an even-less-realistic-than-normal drawn Mario style, and now it's being replicated pretty well in 3D.
This mario rpgs are games that don’t benefit a whole lot from a new console and they’re definitely not big launch titles for a new system.
They’re the best filler title to keep switch players happy and satisfied while also seeing their reception for future titles.

If it is , it's a step back from XBC3 form an engine and visuals perspective. The reason I keep thinking this is outsourced it visually it looks like a UE game

So fucking happy the best Mario RPG series lives. Not that sold on the art style yet, but that was the case with the 3DS remakes too and they grew on me .

Will be interesting to see how it turns out, I can't help but have reservations with AlphaDream being gone

I’m also very interested in who does the music here, it’s always been a big strong point

why? Monolith has their own games to make, not some stuff picked off a carcass of a dead company. as far as people found, only one person went to MS, which isn't exactly enough to make them a candidate

The fact that Nintendo in the span of 1 year released 3 different type of Mario RPGs tells me that its a deliberate way for them to gauge the way forward for Mario RPG games. Should they be more like Mario RPG? Paper Mario RPG? Or like Mario & Luigi RPGs?

Imma toss my hat in the ring and say it's made by Intelligent Systems. It would be weird if TTYD remake took four years on its own, what would the gameplay designers and script-writers be up to?

Zip Lash, New Island, Master of Disguise, Hey! Pikmin, Super Princess Peach, Jungle Climber. The sort of cheap, generally panned outsourced spin-offs almost exclusively done by no-name developers which had pretty much died out with the 3DS.

Even though this is obviously bigger budget than any of that stuff was due to being an HD game, I just kind of get that vibe from parts of this, and it makes me think Arzest. Hopefully it's an unfounded fear, given that, y'know, Arzest doesn't typically make good games.

The fact that Nintendo in the span of 1 year released 3 different type of Mario RPGs tells me that its a deliberate way for them to gauge the way forward for Mario RPG games. Should they be more like Mario RPG? Paper Mario RPG? Or like Mario & Luigi RPGs?
This is possible, but i also think it's more that Nintendo listened to the feedback to previous Paper Mario games and wanted to satisfy every Mario RPG fan.

Zip Lash, New Island, Master of Disguise, Hey! Pikmin, Super Princess Peach, Jungle Climber. The sort of cheap, generally panned outsourced spin-offs almost exclusively done by no-name developers which had pretty much died out with the 3DS.

Even though this is obviously bigger budget than any of that stuff was due to being an HD game, I just kind of get that vibe from parts of this, and it makes me think Arzest. Hopefully it's an unfounded fear, given that, y'know, Arzest doesn't typically make good games.
I don’t get that vibe at all

I have a strong feeling this is being made internally. The more I look at it, the more I doubt this was outsourced. Plus, I highly doubt it's Arzest considering they just came off of a game last year and their studio isn't big enough to develop two games at a time.

They’ve largely moved their games back to a ‘core’ audience in small and big ways this generation… I don’t think it’s as simple as that or any kind of test. If all three sell well, all three developers will have reason to continue.

how can this be true is Paper Mario was likely to continue either way?

This mario rpgs are games that don’t benefit a whole lot from a new console and they’re definitely not big launch titles for a new system.
They’re the best filler title to keep switch players happy and satisfied while also seeing their reception for future titles.
Even so I'm surprised it's 2023, 2024, 2024 and not 2023, 2024, 2025.

a fully 3d rpg hardly feels cheap and outsourced to me

New screens from the JP site:

101111_24.jpg
God, they really captured the style really well, it translated almost perfectly to 3D. I'll miss the spritework but... dang, does this look good.

Also, looks like there's little blocks near the bottom of the screen that are part of the UI? They seem to be related to the (not) pig companion, potentially. Wonder what that could be.

One thing I’d like to see is enemies having visible health bars. Just feels like something that RPGs should all have nowadays. Give an option to turn ‘em off if you’re really a stickler.

This game is why I love it when they allow their characters to leave their homeland. It increases the chances of getting to meet brand new characters and enemies outside of the norm. They're able to really flesh out their creativity in ways which is otherwise throttled. I cannot wait for this game!

This game is why I love it when they allow their characters to leave their homeland. It increases the chances of getting to meet brand new characters and enemies outside of the norm. They're able to really flesh out their creativity in ways which is otherwise throttled. I cannot wait for this game!
And that was historically the greatest strength of the Mario RPGs: you get the ability to thrust the familiar characters into truly unfamiliar situations, and introduce new threats. Even the last Rabbids game understood that assignment.

I have never played a Mario and Luigi game. Would superstar saga on NSO be a good start before this one?
It's one of my favorite games ever, and I replayed it recently and it totally holds up. It's definitely descended from the same DNA as Super Mario RPG and Paper Mario, but in a slightly different direction. Going by the trailer, Brothership is definitely in the same vein as Superstar Saga.

What a pleasant surprise! Didn't think this series was going to return anytime in the near future, and now it's suddenly back with a bang; the visuals and animation all look wonderful, just an overall impressive translation of the spritework of the prior entries into 3D. After how the series was starting to lose steam towards the end, it all just looks so creatively refreshed here. Only thing I have reservations about right now is the OST; it sounds like Shimomura might not be coming back, which would be INCREDIBLY disappointing, and the trailer music really only started giving me those M&L vibes towards the end when Peach showed up. Really hope the full OST leaves a stronger impression.

I continue to wish Nintendo would stop being so secretive about who's actually developing a lot of their games these days, because this is one where I'd really like to know. The Bros. Move at the end almost felt like something out of Strikers, but I can't see NLG on this, and ILCA would make sense since quite a few AlphaDream employees went there, but I'd hope they'd also get some of the directors who went elsewhere involved (like Hiroyuki Kubota over at Monolith Soft). Hoping against hope that we learn more before release.

Can you link me the site? Can't seem to find it.

===

The page says that Red Shell is single target and Green Shell is multi target; I forget if that differentiation was still present in Paper Jam / Dream Team as it’s been a while since I’ve played them.

The power socket icons do feel like the extra combat resource similar to badge meter etc from recent games…

Back
Top Bottom