• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Mario Kart 8 Deluxe – Booster Course Pass |ST| Doubled Dash!! [WAVE 6 AVAILABLE NOW]

What is your favorite course in Wave 6?

• Rome Avanti

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • DK Mountain

Votes: 7 14.6%
  • Daisy Circuit

Votes: 1 2.1%
  • Piranha Plant Cove

Votes: 3 6.3%
  • Madrid Drive

Votes: 1 2.1%
  • Rosalina's Ice World

Votes: 7 14.6%
  • SNES Bowser Castle 3

Votes: 11 22.9%
  • Wii Rainbow Road

Votes: 18 37.5%

• Total voters
Was it?? My goodness. Did we ever actually find the original source of the render? I'm kinda surprised Mario Wiki doesn't have it.
i just recall he said something about a render being from a new game only for it to be an old render. i could be wrong and could be thinking of someone else. it was a funny little saga lol

EDIT: oh god yeah it was this exact image. he went on how its "not old. its new. draw your conclusions"

i just recall he said something about a render being from a new game only for it to be an old render. i could be wrong and could be thinking of someone else. it was a funny little saga lol
I see, interesting! Definitely don't want to make any assumptions on my end like that lol

I don't think it makes sense to do a difficulty curve across DLC cups when they're releasing intermittently. With the base game having a progression makes sense with how the cups are unlocked, but at this point I think it's safe for Nintendo to assume that everyone's a Mario Kart master.
yeah but the difficulty of the tracks won't reflect everyone being a master since they're cherrypicked from all different areas of the difficulty curve in previous games anyhow

Yeah it was on a set of postcards.

gwHqs6I.png

The latter courses will get some at least. These courses were probably easiest to port over, so they came first.
I'm hoping for this too. Though I no longer expect any non-remastered courses as the marketing has been fairly explicit.

Yeah it was on a set of postcards.

gwHqs6I.png
Kinda wish I got those postcards, they look lovely. I see they made a new Bowser art, but that one's already on Mario Wiki. But hey! That art was shared on Nintendo VS to advertise the September 2019 Open on the Nintendo VS Twitter account! And we know the Peach render was released for the May 2020 open - we could go to Nintendo VS around the date of the tournament to find the render, right?

...right?

Well of course it isn't that easy. The answer is no. Said render is not up on Twitter. Maybe it went up on Facebook? Or maybe it got deleted? I tried checking the regular Nintendo Twitter and it wouldn't let me go back further than May 2021. Too many images. So the recent upload is, seemingly, the only easily findable online source of the render.

Thanks for giving me a new hyperfocus, Nintendo Social Media. Totally didn't need to get work done today. Not at all.
More importantly, why the heck are they using it to advertise the booster pass lol
To be fair, it is a good render. It's also not the only one they've used to advertise the booster pass - the Luigi render from the postcards was also used!

that exact render (with sunshine airport in the background even) does show up in MK8D's menus, so that's at least less of a surprise than the otherwise unused peach render
Surprisingly, they're not exactly identical. Here's the postcard:

FNmcj-OWUAcOyMK

...and here's the same shot from MK8D:

MK8DX_Background_Luigi.png

Similar, but not identical! Perfect for nerds like me to pick apart, lol.

FNmcj-OWUAcOyMK

oh interesting!

either way poor l is about to hit a wall + let run over by an airplane

I still think that there is a high chance that we‘ll get more remaked courses form previous MK games that aren‘t already in Tour.

In this Wave alone you have four retro tracks that are either only recently added to tour or aren‘t even in there yet. Also from the three added original MK Tour courses one is basically the best of that game. So I think they want per wave the most interesting retro/original tracks made for tour and not different iterations of Donut Plains or Bowsers Castle.

It could be even possible that we‘ll see in the later waves a few tracks that were originally planed for tour but are now developed for MK8 first.

Don‘t think that there will be much of a change in that newish artstyle though, but there is at least a little chance that we‘ll see models with higher poly-count and anti-gravity in a few tracks.

Last edited:

FNmcj-OWUAcOyMK

i'm not... seeing any differences in the render? a bit more saturated maybe, but that's it

in the MK8 menu luigi slides around for the screen transitions so it's different layered elements, but it honestly looks the same to me

i'm not... seeing any differences in the render? a bit more saturated maybe, but that's it

in the MK8 menu luigi slides around for the screen transitions so it's different layered elements, but it honestly looks the same to me
It's the placement of Luigi - even with the shifting elements of the MK8D menus, Luigi is neveras centered as he is on the postcard.

Again, perfect for nerds like me to pick apart, but probably doesn't matter to 9% of people.

I won't lie, I don't really care much for Mario Kart Wii, but the dedication its fans have to the game is astounding.
I didn't either until last year when one of the more popular ones (TWD) got algorithm'd into my life. Now I watch more MKWii then almost any other game weekly on youtube/twitch.

I feel gravity mechanics have to return just so they can have MK8 retro tracks.
that's not strictly true if they revamp the retro courses in the next title as heavily as they did in MK8. you could remove anti-gravity sections from quite a few courses like toad harbor, sunshine airport or cloudtop cruise without even having to change that much about the layout

some would definitely be unable to return, like mute city or big blue which are based entirely around the gimmick, but then you've got courses like animal crossing where it isn't even featured at all or hyrule circuit where it's just pasted into an otherwise basic turn

I'm in Japan playing legit. Haven't gone online with yet though.

Cool tracks but the lack of MK8D polish can be be felt. There is a lifeless quality compared to the base game.
Do I stand corrected? 👀 that's good to hear.

...though I imagine that it's locked for the grand majority of us, so keep that in mind, thread readers.

We’ve got major leaks! They accidentally left behind the origin game for every track.

Welp LMAO. That's threadmark worthy. Should we spoiler tag this discussion?

I see that there's some original courses listed. Are they "Original" in the same way that Ninja Hideaway apparently is, or do we have something more ambitious planned?

Also, I bet that last Wii course in the Spiny Cup is Wii Rainbow Road.

Turnip Cup:
Tour
SNES
N64
DS

Propellor Cup:
Tour
GBA
Wii
Unkown

Rock Cup:
Tour
DS
GBA
3DS

Moon Cup:
Tour
GCN
Unkown
3DS

Berry Cup:
Tour
Wii
DS
Unkown

Boomerang Cup:
Tour
GCN
GBA
Tour

Feather Cup:
Tour
Wii
GBA
Tour

Cherry Cup:
Tour
GCN
SNES
Unkown

Acorn Cup:
Tour
Wii
Unkown
Unkown

Spiny Cup:
Tour
GCN
Unkown
Wii

Are the ones without prefixes original tracks?
since we can't see the courses, it's hard to say

it's possible that the only tour courses that are getting the tour prefix are specifically the city ones, so otherwise new tracks like ninja hideaway or merry mountain might go unlabeled

We’ve got major leaks! They accidentally left behind the origin game for every track.

Oh shit lol dont know if I want to see it or not

(Ofc I'm going to)

Oh it's just the consoles they come from. Will make the speculation spicier.

Back
Top Bottom