• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Mario Kart 8 Deluxe – Booster Course Pass |ST| Doubled Dash!! [WAVE 6 AVAILABLE NOW]

What is your favorite course in Wave 6?

• Rome Avanti

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • DK Mountain

Votes: 7 14.6%
  • Daisy Circuit

Votes: 1 2.1%
  • Piranha Plant Cove

Votes: 3 6.3%
  • Madrid Drive

Votes: 1 2.1%
  • Rosalina's Ice World

Votes: 7 14.6%
  • SNES Bowser Castle 3

Votes: 11 22.9%
  • Wii Rainbow Road

Votes: 18 37.5%

• Total voters
The game doesn’t think I have the expansion pack so it’s not letting me play the new courses :((( has this happened to anyone else, I hit the member download on the eShop page
Nobody can "officially" play the courses yet. All the footage we got is from hackers playing it early. Rest assured, your time will come soon!

Alright I'll keep my impressions going but keep it one post lol

• Paris Promenade sounds like Spagonia from Sonic Unleashed aha, adore it
  • Tokyo Blur sounds a little generic for Mario Kart but I still like it
  • Sky Garden is beautiful. Sonic vibes here too mixed with a little bit of something I can't put my finger on.
  • Shroom Ridge is interesting, it feels like they took the original (without listening to it) and just played the band alongside it rather than remixing. Given that this track is more visually limited and simple - it's a good fit!
  • Choco Mountain is similar here - feels like a remaster of the original without the 64 muffle lol. I'm a fan bc Banjo vibes.
  • Coconut Mall is also fitting - stays simple but has a lot of variety throughout the runtime. I like it, but feel it lacks some of the energy of the original.
  • Toad Circuit is quintessential Mario Kart 8, love it. Excited to write over my Mario Kart 7 memories because that one was always a disappointment to me lol.

Nobody can "officially" play the courses yet. All the footage we got is from hackers playing it early. Rest assured, your time will come soon!

OH THANK YOU, I was panicking and having a “LET ME INNNNN” moment when I saw all the footage on Twitter.

That update was a tease 😔

nah
qicMSyX.jpg

SwSHyDE.jpg

I’m willing to believe SOME of the imported models kept the same Vertex texture, but there is no way in hell these are straight rips and this comparison proves it.

That’s night and day.

Seems like the textures that really matter (like the road texture) have been given a big facelift, while other textures remain somewhat flat

Either that guy on the tweet is mistaken, or it's outright bad faith, really.

The music in MK8 is really something! So consistent in quality, production and style during a span of 8 years.

I didn't know MKT had a bangin' soundtrack.

Can't wait for remixes of tracks like Vancouver Velocity - these tracks are already great as they are.

I wish they had used the same bush model from base MK8, looks a lot better than the flatter one in the DLC tracks.

They are apart of the Mario Kart Wii community so it is certainly in bad faith. All that community is concerned about is dragging the DLC through the mud.
Perhaps cherry picking one bad example

Yeah, that's what tipped me off. The guy definitely has the knowledge to know he's bullshitting; but he's doing it anyway.

It was pretty clear from the footage we had, too. Adding shaders like bump mapping to the track texture, which is super obvious in Choco Mountain's terrain, for example, would already require extra textures.

I'm more surprised no one is calling them out.

The game doesn’t think I have the expansion pack so it’s not letting me play the new courses :((( has this happened to anyone else, I hit the member download on the eShop page
Not that it's the same thing, but I have the expansion and the new icons/rewards/achievements still don't appear on my NSO App.

Hope it gets solved for you before the launch of the DLC tho!

Just tried playing this (it's been a while) and I'm terrible.
Going to need some practice to get back up to speed.

Are there new icons/rewards/achievements?
I meant those that were added like two weeks ago on the last update, that you can buy with platinum points.

See the "Missions and Rewards 🎁" section? It's still not on my NSO App :(
Maybe it's not officially available in Brazil yet? Idk

I meant those that were added like two weeks ago on the last update, that you can buy with platinum points.

See the "Missions and Rewards 🎁" section? It's still not on my NSO App :(
Maybe it's not officially available in Brazil yet? Idk
Oh, those. I don't think they exist in Brazil at all, actually.

No no no no, please don't tell me Mario Kart Wii of all games has developed a Melee style fanbase. That's hilarious!
Anyway, No items, Funky Kong only, Grumble Volcano
Sorry to say it pretty much has. It feels weird since it's always felt weaker than a lot of other entries to me (despite MKWii being a big part of my childhood).

No no no no, please don't tell me Mario Kart Wii of all games has developed a Melee style fanbase. That's hilarious!
Anyway, No items, Funky Kong only, Grumble Volcano
Mario Kart Wii is arguably the most technical MK game, with lots of tricks and exploits that make it a deep competitive game. It's still strong today thanks to a healthy wifi scene (through modding).

So yes. It has a Melee style following.

I'm sorry you had to learn this way.

Mario Kart Wii is arguably the most technical MK game, with lots of tricks and exploits that make it a deep competitive game. It's still strong today thanks to a healthy wifi scene (through modding).

Not only does it have an active online scene, but it is probably in the top 5 games that have the most modded content available for it, rivaling titles like Super Mario World. Mario Kart Wii's modding scene has added 200cc and 400cc to the game, several new game modes like knock out (last place is out, last person standing wins) and hide and seek (one person starts at it, try to touch someone to eliminate them or make them a tagger as well depending upon the option), and over 2,000+ custom tracks including basically every MK track ever.

The new mixes are absolute bangers, what even is Ninja Hideaway, my god.

I'm quite confident now the next batches will be even more polished to make them more on par with the rest of MK8. They probably didn't have much time to get this first batch done, but the intention to deliver something high quality is obviously there.

The new mixes are absolute bangers, what even is Ninja Hideaway, my god.

I'm quite confident now the next batches will be even more polished to make them more on par with the rest of MK8. They probably didn't have much time to get this first batch done, but the intention to deliver something high quality is obviously there.
That bass guitar drop in Ninja Hideaway 😱.

Seeing how the new courses are integrated into the menu - as their own selection apart from the regular MK8 tracks - I get the feeling the more cartoony style is here to stay for the entire booster pack. On the other hand, within the 8 tracks about to be released, the style already fluctuates with some tracks closer to the regular MK8 style - Ninja Hideaway, Paris - and others much more simplistic - Choco Mountain, Toad Circuit.

So I don't really know what my point is 😅 . Personally I hope for the booster tracks to be as close to MK8 as possible, and the music so far seems to nail that at least! 💪

Well that's interesting, at least it seems people like it for the mechanics just like Melee. I knew the speedrunning scene was crazy (I tried to get into that scene and didn't like it at all) and snaking was thing, but it seems there is more than that.

Not only does it have an active online scene, but it is probably in the top 5 games that have the most modded content available for it, rivaling titles like Super Mario World. Mario Kart Wii's modding scene has added 200cc and 400cc to the game, several new game modes like knock out (last place is out, last person standing wins) and hide and seek (one person starts at it, try to touch someone to eliminate them or make them a tagger as well depending upon the option), and over 2,000+ custom tracks including basically every MK track ever.
I won't lie, I don't really care much for Mario Kart Wii, but the dedication its fans have to the game is astounding.

The anticipation of this DLC was enough to motivate me to draw out all of my power from 20+ years of playing Mario Kart and finally beat all of the staff ghosts in Time Trials. Ya boi got the gold tires!

Now all I need is the Gold Glider and that should be easy enough after the DLC drops because I’m at 4400 coins.

My biggest concern over the Mario Kart DLC was they would just port the music over from Tour since the track visuals seemed to be more in line with that game than the previous Mario Kart 8 tracks.

I've listened to each new track arrangement, got a little emotional in parts, and am beyond glad and thrilled that's not the case. Now to just cross every digit I have that we get Vancouver Velocity down the road.

If you told me at the beginning of the year that I would be staring at the Mario Kart 8 icon on my Switch, waiting for the DLC to go live, I would have called you crazy.

This is so exciting.

Do we think the cups will follow any sort of difficulty cure like the original game? The first DLC doesn't give me hope

I know it was controversial at the time but... good lord am I glad they fixed drifting lol

My favorite Smash game has the most toxic fanbase while my least favorite Mario Kart game has the most toxic fanbase... Though to be fair, the Smash fanbase is just extremely toxic period. Like, even beyond the competitive scene, the Smash fandom is extremely unpleasant in my experience. I can't speak about Mario Kart's fandom as a whole because I never look there. lol

Anyways, long shot but I'm hoping N64 Wario Stadium becomes a stage in this pass. It's the only N64 stage to be totally absent in every Mario Kart game since.

Do we think the cups will follow any sort of difficulty cure like the original game? The first DLC doesn't give me hope
I don't think it makes sense to do a difficulty curve across DLC cups when they're releasing intermittently. With the base game having a progression makes sense with how the cups are unlocked, but at this point I think it's safe for Nintendo to assume that everyone's a Mario Kart master.

Back
Top Bottom