• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Mario Kart 8 Deluxe – Booster Course Pass |ST| Doubled Dash!! [WAVE 6 AVAILABLE NOW]

What is your favorite course in Wave 6?

• Rome Avanti

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • DK Mountain

Votes: 7 14.6%
  • Daisy Circuit

Votes: 1 2.1%
  • Piranha Plant Cove

Votes: 3 6.3%
  • Madrid Drive

Votes: 1 2.1%
  • Rosalina's Ice World

Votes: 7 14.6%
  • SNES Bowser Castle 3

Votes: 11 22.9%
  • Wii Rainbow Road

Votes: 18 37.5%

• Total voters
I’ve got it pushed back to wave 6, actually. Have it as the track right before Wii Rainbow Road.
Aaah, that's a good idea !
Before the datamines, I imagined it well ahead of a Rainbow Road, it's a kind of a Bowser's Castle. I was also imagining the upcoming of the N64 Bowser's Castle, sadly

My expectation for next 6 characters; Pauline, Diddy Kong, Funky Kong, Petey Piranha, Kamek, Nabbit.

I would want if they added more battle courses, at least 4 more from 64, DS, Wii and GBA games.

I would prefer that they consider Tanooki Mario, Cat Peach, male Inkling, female Villager, etc. as variants and have them stack, but I won’t hold my breath.

However, my ideal solution would be a fully customizable and stackable CSS. (Always wanted this in Smash too!)

Instead of stacking characters on the CSS by name (arbitrary, confusing, pointless) they should stack them by weight class (sensible, informative, convenient)

I've seen so much of the speculation. Everyone thinks Diddy and Pauline are pretty likely since, just like Birdo, they've been go-to Mario game roster DLC for basically the entirety of the Switch era, so yeah, that makes sense. If there's only three, that's who I'd put money on too.

Also, with like 5 different Donkey Kong characters to choose from on the Tour roster, and a new DK course to be revealed, it's like a guarantee we're looking at some kind of DK blowout for wave 5 or 6. Could see three or four of those characters announced at the same time with that if we really are looking at 7 drivers total.

Even got lots of people saying, "Hey, look at how that Piranha Plant Cove level has all those eldritch Petey statues?" And that would be perfect, yeah. Love Petey.

But what do we gotta do as a society to get ✨King Bob-Omb✨ in here?!

Sticker_King_Bob-omb_-_Mario_Party_Superstars.png

I can't be the only one who thinks this Pringlesman Nega looking joker is awesome right?

I unfortunately don't think they'll reshuffle the base roster in any way, or merge any existing characters into a single slot. Like with Mario Kart 8 Wii U I think they'll simply decide to have a row that is easily identifiable as "the DLC row"; considering not everyone who owns the game will have this content, I don't think they'll want to randomly mix them into the selection in the ways being suggested above.

OnXBnaP.png

I've been arguing this elsewhere already, but I think Birdo works quite well as the "teaser" character, on multiple levels. She was the very first new character developed for Tour after the 8DX cast was ported over (showing she has had priority in the past); coming with alternate colours will likely be positioned as making up for the lack of other characters this wave (and is pretty reminicent of how the Yoshi and Shy Guy colors were treated in the vanilla game's DLC); and of course, she fits the themeing of the Yoshi's Island course.

One row means six more in the remaining two waves, three each; which if you want to bring up similarities to vanilla 8's DLC is also the same setup as that game (why I also anticipate a set of kart parts showing up eventually). Of those six I think you can easily lock in Diddy, Funky, Petey and Pauline; but I could see a variety of combinations for the remaining two. With how Wii-heavy the course selection is the former two will definitely be priorities though.

I really wish it were possible to bring over the full Tour roster. There are so many characters in the game already, and more likely coming to it in the future, so it'd be disappointing to not see the majority of them come over. DK Jr., Birdo, Diddy, Paratroopa, Petey, Funky, Wiggler, Honey Queen; every veteran sans R.O.B. is either already in or has signs of being on the way. Then we have all the newcomers we've seen so far: Pauline, Peachette, Hammer Bro, Monty Mole, Dixie Kong, Captain Toad, Nabbit, King Bob-omb, Kamek, Chargin' Chuck; and some that could be on the way (different levels of probability for these, from most to least plausible based on evidence): Luma, Piranha Plant, Boo, Baby DK, Baby Wario, Goomba, Dolphin and (Gooper?) Blooper. Would be nice to try and fit them all in, and some of the more stand-out costumes as well, but I just expect them to limit things to 7.
I hadn’t even considered that they have to keep in mind any organizational changes to the CSS would affect non-BCP owners as well.

Assuming any additions will be greyed out for those pipe like the BCP cups, a clean, separate new row for the new characters does seem like the cleanest solution.

Can someone post again the datamine names?

I know there is very likely a DK track coming, as YI is based in SNES title, can the DK track be based on SNES DKC trilogy ??? And as others said, with a DK track coming, I’m sure we will see various DK characters like Diddy and Funky getting added.

I've been arguing this elsewhere already, but I think Birdo works quite well as the "teaser" character, on multiple levels. She was the very first new character developed for Tour after the 8DX cast was ported over (showing she has had priority in the past); coming with alternate colours will likely be positioned as making up for the lack of other characters this wave (and is pretty reminicent of how the Yoshi and Shy Guy colors were treated in the vanilla game's DLC); and of course, she fits the themeing of the Yoshi's Island course.
not to get overly pedantic but wasn't diddy technically the first non 8DX veteran added to tour

not to get overly pedantic but wasn't diddy technically the first non 8DX veteran added to tour

I'm talking from a development standpoint. Pauline, Diddy and Peachette were added to the game first, but Birdo was made first.

image.png

Tour's development cycle has been making content in bulk and then sitting on it for an extended period of time; as you can see a lot of early characters took awhile to be introduced, and we're still waiting on a few early IDs (53 is almost certainly a unique character, 48 could go either way).

I'm talking from a development standpoint. Pauline, Diddy and Peachette were added to the game first, but Birdo was made first.

image.png

Tour's development cycle has been making content in bulk and then sitting on it for an extended period of time; as you can see a lot of early characters took awhile to be introduced, and we're still waiting on a few early IDs (53 is almost certainly a unique character, 48 could go either way).
i didn't know we actually had creation/finalization timestamps to go with the indexes, but that's neat if so

kinda leads to speculation about if birdo was being designed for 8 in the first place before getting sidelined for other stuff

I wonder if with the addition of new characters, the more of the clone characters are going to be combined to allow space for new characters e.g. Tanooki Mario is now in a submenu when selecting Mario like with the Yoshi colours.
I believe this is what is happening, and there will be character skins brought over, from Tour (not all, but a select few)

whatever happens the CSS will look like a organizational crime after all is said and done, it’s already organaized terribly sans the EPD characters and koopalings.

anyway against all logic I hope for nabbit and king bob-omb.

Nintendo literally added text "8 courses + 1 character" to the Wave 4 promotion.
Where? Is it an eshop description? That’s fairly definitive if so, but I’m still not ruling anything out until the update drops. Could have one character free and one not for example or they can update the description when it drops to say two characters.

Before new tracks were clearly being offered, I was on team new tracks when the language was something like “the booster course pass will feature courses from past games in the Mario Kart series.” A lot of people read that as only old tracks, but it left room for new ones to be added. There’s going to be some limit to them delivering more than what was expected/promised, but I feel good about there being seven more characters ultimately before the DLC ends. Either way, I’m excited for what we do get. The BCP has been a phenomenal deal for me already even with just Waves 1-3. I can’t belief we have so much more to come still.

michael-scott-the-office.gif

I've been saying that for quite some time! For so long, Diddy Kong Racing seemed unlikely to be ever rereleased (not so much now, on NSO, but still...), and since Nintendo actually owns the content like karts and tracks, they should just add those to Mario Kart... they could translate with very little effort, with underwater and gliding sections.
don't think nintendo owns those either, as there's fangamer merch with the karts and balloons from diddy kong racing and a named reference to the location of the game
considering that the original game was copyright rare with certain characters licensed by nintendo I think rare just owns everything

don't think nintendo owns those either, as there's fangamer merch with the karts and balloons from diddy kong racing and a named reference to the location of the game
considering that the original game was copyright rare with certain characters licensed by nintendo I think rare just owns everything
I read the Diddy Kong Racing DS copyright block as "everything is owned by Nintendo, except for Timber, Bumper, Drumstick, Tiptup, T.T., Pipsy, Taj, Bluey, Bubbler, Smokey and Wizpig"

image.png

even Tricky could be possibly under Nintendo, since it may or may not be the exact same character in Star Fox Adventures, which Nintendo does own for sure (a shot out to DK Vine theories ;P)

My 50 cents for the characters: I think there will be 7 (one full row).

1. Birdo
2. Diddy Kong (he is just missing)
3. Petey Piranha (with PPC; fan favourite being asked for to return since MKDD)
4. Pauline (new main character)
5. Funky Kong (he has hype around him since MKWii)
6. Kamek (looks like he will play a big role in the movie)
7. King Bob-Omb (idk? An out there, unexpected character. Could also be something like Nabbit. I don’t think they will bring more than 2 Kongs)

My 50 cents for the characters: I think there will be 7 (one full row).

1. Birdo
2. Diddy Kong (he is just missing)
3. Petey Piranha (with PPC; fan favourite being asked for to return since MKDD)
4. Pauline (new main character)
5. Funky Kong (he has hype around him since MKWii)
6. Kamek (looks like he will play a big role in the movie)
7. King Bob-Omb (idk? An out there, unexpected character. Could also be something like Nabbit. I don’t think they will bring more than 2 Kongs)
Yeah, I predicted the same characters if it's a full row.
I think everyone predicts the same top 5, but I'm with you on Kamek and King Bob-Omb. They both are very distinctive characters.

Where? Is it an eshop description? That’s fairly definitive if so, but I’m still not ruling anything out until the update drops. Could have one character free and one not for example or they can update the description when it drops to say two characters.
The text "8 courses + 1 character" appeared in all EU/PAL versions of the Direct

People on a French forum are convinced that a BCP 2 is going to happen due to the success of Mario Kart 8D, I don't know how to tell them not to get their hopes up.

At this point I honestly wouldn't be surprised.

I'm not counting on it happening, but if it does it will also make all the sense in the world.

May I ask, does MK Tour characters share same animations as 8 DX ??

If yes, I hipe that means characters can be port much more easily than we thought and get more Tour characters in 8 DX.

People on a French forum are convinced that a BCP 2 is going to happen due to the success of Mario Kart 8D, I don't know how to tell them not to get their hopes up.

If I told you just over a year ago that I hoped that Nintendo would introduce DLC that would double the amount of race tracks in Mario Kart 8, you would have told me to keep dreaming.

It is Nintendo. Anything is possible.

Sounds like a great idea to me!

I'm not going to get my hopes up, but you never know with Nintendo. We thought we were only getting retro tracks - now we're getting a few new tracks. We thought we wouldn't get characters - now we're getting at least three characters.

There's certainly enough retro tracks to make up a BCP2. The issue would be city tracks. I actually think Wave 4 will give us the slightest inkling of whether there might possibly be a BCP2. If there are only two city tracks in Wave 4, I might start to suspect that they are pushing a couple city tracks to a hypothetical Wave 7....

The other issue would be the Switch 2. Is it coming? In 2024? Would MK10 be a launch title? Would Nintendo want to support MK8 DLC while launching MK10? Who knows!

I can't decide what is more likely between a new row and the costumes fusion.

A new row because:
  • they will be able to make a clearly identifiable DLC row.
  • less steps to select Mario.

The costumes fusion because:
  • Tanooki Mario, Cat Peach, Metal Mario, and Pink Gold Peach had their code changed in wave 2 so they no longer have rivals, which was fixed in wave 3, I don't see why they would need to change things in those codes except to test something (about a costumes fusion?).
  • it would make a lot of sense if they decide to add more costumes later on.

Last edited:
I would adore a BCP2. The BCP seems to have progressively been getting more effortful as time goes on. Now we’re at the point where we are literally getting new characters! What a turnaround!
There are inevitably some MK Tour tracks that won’t get into MK8D, like Frappe Snowland, which are great remakes and would look beautiful in MK8D.

Plus, with characters and (maybe Battle tracks somewhere along the line), it would be the closest we ever get to Mario Kart Ultimate

I think the "make Mario simple to select" argument is simple to solve, if they change how selecting alts work. Just make it a toggle; press X/Y to open the alt menu and choose the one you want; otherwise just default to the basic form of the character.

I don't think 8 Deluxe will do this though, since I don't think the base layout of the roster will be changed at all to better accomodate the new additions. A new row (+ column if we end up super lucky; doubt it though) to distinguish them from the rest in case you don't own the DLC, just like vanilla 8.

mk8update1.png

May I ask, does MK Tour characters share same animations as 8 DX ??

If yes, I hipe that means characters can be port much more easily than we thought and get more Tour characters in 8 DX.

Tour doesn't have bikes or ATVs, nor different animations for finishing the race in different placements, so any characters they bring over will need all of those made for them

is what I would say, if some of the early additions didn't have their lose animations / voice clips end up in Tour's files unused. Whether they just scrapped them, or were future-proofing from the start, they've got them somewhere. So at most that just leaves bike / ATV animations; which is a pretty decent hurdle to be fair, especially for Pauline who might need a biker outfit like the princesses too; but if any character were worth crossing that barrier for it'd be her.

Last edited:
Tour doesn't have bikes or ATVs, nor different animations for finishing the race in different placements, so any characters they bring over will need all of those made for them

is what I would say, if some of the early additions didn't have their lose animations / voice clips end up in Tour's files unused. Whether they just scrapped them, or were future-proofing from the start, they've got them somewhere. So at most that just leaves bike / ATV animations; which is a pretty decent hurdle to be fair, especially for Pauline who might need a biker outfit like the princesses too; but if any character were worth crossing that barrier for it'd be her.
I always thought that giving Pauline her Odyssey pantsuit would have been a fun way to give her a "unique" biker outfit.

A new row because:
  • they will be able to make a clearly identifiable DLC row.
  • less steps to select Mario.

The costumes fusion because:
  • Tanooki Mario, Cat Peach, Metal Mario, and Pink Gold Peach had their code changed in wave 2 so they no longer have rivals, which was fixed in wave 3, I don't see why they would need to change things in those codes except to test something (about a costumes fusion?).
  • it would make a lot of sense if they decide to add more costumes later on.
Why not both and then they can add the 13 Tour characters? :p

Back
Top Bottom