• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Mario Kart 8 Deluxe – Booster Course Pass |ST| Doubled Dash!! [WAVE 6 AVAILABLE NOW]

What is your favorite course in Wave 6?

• Rome Avanti

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • DK Mountain

Votes: 7 14.6%
  • Daisy Circuit

Votes: 1 2.1%
  • Piranha Plant Cove

Votes: 3 6.3%
  • Madrid Drive

Votes: 1 2.1%
  • Rosalina's Ice World

Votes: 7 14.6%
  • SNES Bowser Castle 3

Votes: 11 22.9%
  • Wii Rainbow Road

Votes: 18 37.5%

• Total voters
Played the Rock Cup with my wife. What was supposed to be hard about Boo Lake
Yeah for me I think Rock Rock Mountain is the hardest one because of the sharp turn before the steep hill and the placement of the columns in the cave. Other tracks were quite easy when ignoring getting lost in the Tour city tracks.

Also, I hate to be that guy but I really don’t like what they did with the Rainbow Road music. It’s completely lost its emotional feel that it had in the original because they went for this disco sound. And they screwed up the final lap music too, it doesn’t lead in to the main chorus anymore.
The percussion is way to hard and takes the music piece in a different direction. I prefer the more calm and space like theme of the 3DS too. Though it dosen‘t really bother me during gameplay because the game is to loud anyway to really hear the music.

Seems like the invisibility changes was done to buff/nerf certain combinations. Basically preventing a Funky Kong+bike only in actual races.

it doesn't hurt Waluigi Wiggler much in the scheme of things but anything however small to disadvantage said combo can only be good.

I really hope the next patch allows saving custom rule sets a la Smash. Also I'd love to have the option to allow other people than player 1 select the next course. And I still think they should've redone the cup selection UI so you didn't have to toggle between the two sets of cups.

After playing the new courses a few times my absolute favorite thing is the animated track for rainbow road. Honestly I don‘t even want to drive on it. Just looking.

This software allows you to calculate your invincibility frames based on your combo: https://github.com/fishguy6564/iFrame-Calculator/releases

Maximum invincibility frame combo for 136 frames (45 frame increase compared to pre-patch, +0.75 seconds):
Character: Baby Peach/Baby Daisy/Baby Rosalina/Lemmy/Baby Mario/Baby Luigi/Dry Bones/Light Mii
Vehicle: Badwagon/GLA
Tires: Off-Road/Retro Off-Road/Triforce Tires
Glider: Super Glider/Waddle Wing/Hylian Kite/Wario Wing/Plane Glider/Gold Glider/Paraglider

Minimum invincibility frame combo for 59 frames (39 frame decrease compared to pre-patch, -0.65 seconds):
Character: Metal Mario/Gold Mario/Pink Gold Peach/Roy/Waluigi/DK/Dry Bowser/Wario/Morton/Bowser/Heavy Mii
Vehicle: Biddybuggy/Mr. Scooty
Tires: Roller/Azure Roller
Glider: Cloud Glider/Parachute/Flower Glider/Paper Glider/Peach Parasol/Parafoil/Bowser Glider/MKTV Parafoil

Anyone else find it sort of weird playing on the booster tracks, and all of a sudden some decade-old muscle memory kicks in?
I'm having that with the DS/3DS courses.
It's like....nostalgia in my hands rather than my brain.

Wow, what a great wave. So glad Nintendo has stepped it up so much, especially now that we're getting into some real fan favorites. Can't wait for Waves 4-6!

London Loop: 9/10
Was not anticipating this one at all, it looked like one of the most boring Tour tracks, but it's really fun! The varied laps and excellent visuals elevate the track nicely.

Boo Lake: 10/10
The best BCP GBA remake. Visually stunning, and really fun to play.

Rock Rock Mountain: 10/10
Yes, it looks terrible, but it plays so well. Definitely the Shroom Ridge of this wave.

Maple Treeway: 10/10
One of the two tracks I wanted the most (the other being Koopa Cape) so my expectations were sky-high. I was worried because the Tour version looks atrocious, but thankfully they made the BCP version look great! So glad they kept the half-pipe, the Wigglers, and the beginning shortcut. Sad the rope bridge is gone, but that was to be expected, so no big deal. The only slightly disappointing thing is that the music is significantly worse than the original. It sounds tinny and hollow. But oh well, at least the track is great.

Berlin Byways: 10/10
Wow! This came out of nowhere for me, just like Sydney Sprint. Love the traffic, love the different routes, love the visuals. Such a great surprise.

Peach Gardens: 8/10
The biggest disappointment for me this wave. I feel like this got the Coconut Mall treatment. It's still a good track, but it's definitely worse than its original version. The removal of the hedges on the upper squares, the removal of the trailing items behind the chain chomps, and the replacement of the final part of the "maze" with (yet another) piranha plant traffic circle... yawn. It went from a Special Cup track to a Flower Cup track. The reverse lap is cool, but I dislike how they shoehorned another gliding section in that lets you skip half the lap. Overall this is still a great track, and I'm glad it's here, but it's my least favorite of Wave 3.

Merry Mountain: 9/10
A very simple track, but visually incredible. Not as good as Ninja Hideaway, but miles better than Sky High Snoozeday.

Rainbow Road: 10/10
What needs to be said, really? Beautiful. So glad we finally have a 10/10 RR in the game.

This is definitely the best wave yet, both graphically and playability-wise. There is only one track (RR Mountain) that doesn't look amazing. And there are no tracks that are outright duds like in Wave 1 (Toad Circuit, Tokyo Blur) and Wave 2 (Sky High Sundae). The Item Selection option was such a phenomenal surprise, and I can't wait to see what Nintendo has in store for 2023! Fingers crossed for DLC characters, more great retro tracks, and new tracks that rival Ninja Hideaway!

i'm still not excited about any of the city tracks but otherwise this is another really great set of tracks—Rainbow Road and Merry Mountain in particular are all-timers, especially visually

unrelated: has anyone spent much time investigating the seemingly unspoken truth that Mario Kart racers and karts are tiny? why are there so many courses where all of the characters and objects off to the side are ten times the size of the racers? and so many massively wide roads. it makes sense for something like Ribbon Road, but why has everyone been shrunk down to drive on, e.g., the Animal Crossing track? truly mysterious

has anyone else clipped out of the spinning tube on 3DS RR? like I was fully in the tube and then just fell out of it and got Lakitu'd

i'm still not excited about any of the city tracks but otherwise this is another really great set of tracks—Rainbow Road and Merry Mountain in particular are all-timers, especially visually

unrelated: has anyone spent much time investigating the seemingly unspoken truth that Mario Kart racers and karts are tiny? why are there so many courses where all of the characters and objects off to the side are ten times the size of the racers? and so many massively wide roads. it makes sense for something like Ribbon Road, but why has everyone been shrunk down to drive on, e.g., the Animal Crossing track? truly mysterious
It's done so the characters in the background are.more noticable when racing.

Having played the new tracks multiple times, I feel like I can settle on my updated overall BCP Rankings. Considering that my opinion of Waves 1 and 2 both decreased over time, I'm expecting a couple of the Wave 3 tracks to drop over time as well.
  1. 3DS Rainbow Road
  2. Wii Maple Treeway
  3. DS Waluigi Pinball
  4. Ninja Hideaway
  5. Tour Berlin Byways
  6. DS Shroom Ridge
  7. Wii Mushroom Gorge
  8. DS Peach Gardens
  9. Tour London Loop
  10. Wii Coconut Mall
  11. N64 Choco Mountain
  12. Tour Sydney Sprint
  13. Merry Mountain
  14. GBA Snow Land
  15. N64 Kalimari Desert
  16. 3DS Rock Rock Mountain
  17. Tour New York Minute
  18. GBA Sky Garden
  19. GBA Boo Lake
  20. Sky-High Sundae
  21. 3DS Toad Circuit
  22. SNES Mario Circuit 3
  23. Tour Paris Promenade
  24. Tour Tokyo Blur

Three-starred the six new cups and beat the new 150cc time trials ghosts, so now's as good as time as any for my opinions:

Tour London Loop - One strength of both city courses in this wave, at least to me, is that they feel much more dense and city-like than the city courses from the first two waves. The winding routes get a little confusing, but London and Berlin both feel more like you're racing through a city as opposed to a city-themed course, which I can't say applies to the previous tracks. The foggy sky on this track in particular really seals the deal.

GBA Boo Lake - It's an okay track, though it's definitely on the easier end of this wave. Submerging the back half of the track is a fun idea, but doesn't do much to compensate for how basic it ends up feeling. Even on 200cc, I find myself just flying through, since there aren't any hazards to speak of. Still, I can't be too mad about finally getting a Ghost Valley-style track into MK8.

3DS Rock Rock Mountain - Didn't like it in 7 and don't like it here. The glider is only tolerable when used sparingly and this course is designed to make you deploy it as much as possible. No thanks.

Wii Maple Treeway - We love our Maple, don't we, folks? This track has always been a little bit janky to drive well, and that continues in this game. The assassination of the bouncy netting by the cowards who ported it to 7 continues to be a tragedy, but they can never gut the soul that this track exudes from every half-piped turn.

Tour Berlin Byways - I'd say this is my favorite track of the bunch. A traffic course where I can also drive through a metro train with techno beats? Yeah, that's gonna be tough to beat. It helps that I've been to Berlin in real life, but like London, it's a step up from the previous city courses, both as a convincing aesthetic and as a tight race through city streets.

DS Peach Gardens - It's an okay conversion of another course I liked a lot in Mario Kart Wii. The track lends itself well to the reversed final lap, and being able to glide around the topiaries and see their faces in the hedge maze is a neat touch. However, it lost a lot of its bite with the changes to the layout and the flower patch placements, and it feels overly forgiving and wide in its nerfed state.

Tour Merry Mountain - It's no Ninja Hideaway, but I'm surprised how technical it is in spite of its shorter length. Some neat stuff in here, though the blue zipper comes across as unnecessary. Can't speak much to the theming since I'm not a Christmas guy but this one's a solid track that I could see myself replaying a lot, even outside of the season.

3DS Rainbow Road - One of the stronger Rainbow Roads for sure, even if it is on the easier side. It complements the other three Rainbow Roads in the game well, namely by usurping N64 Rainbow Road is the premier one-lap RR. I prefer 8's Rainbow Road to this one, but this was a heavy hitter for the first half of the BCP to end on, and it's a testament to how spoiled we are for track choices in this game.

Overall, I'm pretty happy with this batch of tracks. The graphical touchups look excellent across the board, and the remixes are all bangin'. I definitely feel a lot more optimistic about the remaining tracks than I did after wave 1's release.

I was exhausted last night and squeezed in a run of each cup before falling asleep on the couch. I scribbled down my thoughts as I did it in a sleepy state tho, tldr: not very impressed but perhaps when I return in handheld mode OLED it'll fare better. Headphones will also probably rly help bc music is important here.

London Loop 3/5
hm everything is really weirdly scaled, i feel tiny
that's why they call it a london fog eh
this do be feeling like a mod

I want a Pokémon course

Boo Lake 3/5
well done but over too fast!
that mansion gives me NLG LM vibes
wooden bushes underwater is laaaaazy

Rock Rock Mountain 3/5
looks like what I expected nintendo in HD to be back before the Wii U when they proved me wrong
feels been there done that already in this game, but better
glad they used anti-grav in the final part

Maple Treeway 2/5
deserved better than good enough.
blocky trees. mismatched textures.
had a glitch on the curved wall.
bleh, I really wanted to like this

Berlin Byways 4/5
Ok best so far maybe
it’s cute but the character scaling lol
massive bike next to tiny cars on the road why
feels like mod

Always forget there’s no diddy kong
Maybe this will better handheld

Peach Gardens 4/5
Ooh this one is nice except for the Mario hedge model looking soul less
Spicy lap swap me likey
Nostalgic and warm

Merry Mountain 4/5
heck yea I liked it ho ho ho
dunno that's it

Rainbow Road 3DS 4/5
fun fun.
pretty track itself (like the rainbow part) but the details could have been better + more cohesive
some stuff (eg. the jump pads) felt like a fan mod
zero grav on moon is mwah
fell off most here this is def the hardest boo lake people wyd

This is a surprise; turns out 8DX made more changes to Snow Land than most expected. The lake section is not in Tour.

This combined with Peach Gardens gives some hope for Riverside to be adjusted if it makes it in.

My big hope is that Koopa Cape will be closer to the Wii version than the 3DS or mobile versions. Was feeling more hopeful after Maple Treeway turning out well and Snow Lake is even more encouraging that big changes are possible.

Merry Mountain's music is fantastic, holy cow. I miss that kind of music from Nintendo - Bowser's Fury was the latest game with music in that style, and that was only 1/4 of a full game. Is it me or is EPD's release schedule glacial lately?

Anyways, really liking this new wave. Stoked to finally play Treeway in the best MK game. Rainbow Road 3DS is a trip, it's bonkers. London has some great sights, even though the plasticky Tour aesthetic doesn't do much for me.

This software allows you to calculate your invincibility frames based on your combo: https://github.com/fishguy6564/iFrame-Calculator/releases

Maximum invincibility frame combo for 136 frames (45 frame increase compared to pre-patch, +0.75 seconds):
Character: Baby Peach/Baby Daisy/Baby Rosalina/Lemmy/Baby Mario/Baby Luigi/Dry Bones/Light Mii
Vehicle: Badwagon/GLA
Tires: Off-Road/Retro Off-Road/Triforce Tires
Glider: Super Glider/Waddle Wing/Hylian Kite/Wario Wing/Plane Glider/Gold Glider/Paraglider

Minimum invincibility frame combo for 59 frames (39 frame decrease compared to pre-patch, -0.65 seconds):
Character: Metal Mario/Gold Mario/Pink Gold Peach/Roy/Waluigi/DK/Dry Bowser/Wario/Morton/Bowser/Heavy Mii
Vehicle: Biddybuggy/Mr. Scooty
Tires: Roller/Azure Roller
Glider: Cloud Glider/Parachute/Flower Glider/Paper Glider/Peach Parasol/Parafoil/Bowser Glider/MKTV Parafoil

Yeah, that was a 100% designed to nerf Waluigi.

Merry Mountain is overrated for me. Pretty but so basic. There's not much to it. Sky High Sundae is uglier but more enjoyable to race on, despite feeling jankier lol

Despite that, for most of the new tracks, I'm warming to them more and more as I play them more.

Edit: well, maybe it's not so overrated on the poll :D

I just realized something. So one of the leaked Tour courses is codenamed MU, right? Some people are assuming that means Mumbai, but if it was, wouldn't that mean we CAN'T get it in MK8D? The last three Tour city courses are almost guaranteed to be Athens, Madrid, and Orlando.

Side note, I will never get why Nintendo chose some of the most random cities to become Mario Kart tracks. Like, New York, London, Tokyo, Paris, Bangkok, Singapore, and Athens make sense. But why Los Angeles (which doesn't even feature Hollywood), Amsterdam, Vancouver (which don't get me wrong, it's my most anticipated course for the rest of the DLC and I adore the region, but why???), and Orlando? Where is Rome? Mexico City? Rio de Janeiro? Cairo? What about Hong Kong, Shanghai, or Seoul? Just weird.
I would love a Rome course. I too was surprised by its exclusion.
I really hope the next patch allows saving custom rule sets a la Smash. Also I'd love to have the option to allow other people than player 1 select the next course. And I still think they should've redone the cup selection UI so you didn't have to toggle between the two sets of cups.
Any ideas for the UI? I’d be down but I imagine they’d have to shrink the cup icons a ton, and I genuinely love how those things look now. Big and high res - I’d hate to lose out on the legibility of their artwork.

I haven’t checked but the anti-grav boosts looked bigger on Merry Mountain than they usually are on other courses?

Any ideas for the UI? I’d be down but I imagine they’d have to shrink the cup icons a ton, and I genuinely love how those things look now. Big and high res - I’d hate to lose out on the legibility of their artwork.
What I'd like to see at this point:
  • Vertically scrolling list. Large cup icon on the left, the 4 tracks on the right
  • Some sort of difficulty/complexity indication for the tracks as the cup being a proxy lost all meaning with the original Wii U DLC. I think the complexity increasing as you move from left -> right in the cups is still in place since the first wave of Course Pass cups were dinged for having fairly simplistic layouts which was probably intentional.

That said, at least for Vs/Online I wouldn't be opposed to moving to a Smash-esque track selection screen where they just stick all 96 tracks on a page and drop the cup selection entirely.

What I'd like to see at this point:
  • Vertically scrolling list. Large cup icon on the left, the 4 tracks on the right
  • Some sort of difficulty/complexity indication for the tracks as the cup being a proxy lost all meaning with the original Wii U DLC. I think the complexity increasing as you move from left -> right in the cups is still in place since the first wave of Course Pass cups were dinged for having fairly simplistic layouts which was probably intentional.

That said, at least for Vs/Online I wouldn't be opposed to moving to a Smash-esque track selection screen where they just stick all 96 tracks on a page and drop the cup selection entirely.
For that last bit, now you do have me wanting to see a course selection screen just like Smash’s like that. All those track thumbnails would be fun to see all at once.

This is a surprise; turns out 8DX made more changes to Snow Land than most expected. The lake section is not in Tour.

This combined with Peach Gardens gives some hope for Riverside to be adjusted if it makes it in.

Assuming there aren't any other new tracks in this Tour that we don't see in the trailer, GBA Snow Land will be the final track added to Tour this year, for a grand total of 37: 4 nitro, 18 retro, 4 redundant retro, 2 RMX, and 9 city variants.

For context, the only other year that even approaches that number is 2019, the launch year of Tour, which had 27. 2020 had 24 tracks (nearly half of which were "low effort"), and 2021 only had 18 (in which 13 were "low effort"). Really impressive stuff from the devs this year, hope they can maintain this rate of content through 2023.

My big hope is that Koopa Cape will be closer to the Wii version than the 3DS or mobile versions. Was feeling more hopeful after Maple Treeway turning out well and Snow Land is even more encouraging that big changes are possible.

Same! Koopa Cape is my #1 most wanted track, but just like Maple Treeway, the Tour version looks kind of... bad. But I have a good feeling after Wave 3. 7/8 tracks were given substantial upgrades, and the only one that wasn't isn't really a fan favorite. I think KC is beloved enough to warrant a really good remake a la Maple Treeway. And the fact that the waves keep getting better also bodes well.

That said, they are definitely not bringing back the electric spinners in the tube. Just like MT's net, those are gone forever lol.

Assuming there aren't any other new tracks in this Tour that we don't see in the trailer, GBA Snow Land will be the final track added to Tour this year

There’s still one more Tour that’s going to start before the end of the year; though it’s seeming like this year’s New Years Tour will be another city focused Tour, so the best we’ll get are new city routes. Appears to be focused on Asian cities, seeing as Tokyo, Singapore and especially Bangkok have gotten massive ID increases in recent Tours; so expect Bangkok 2 or 3, maybe Singapore 3 if we’re lucky.

There’s still one more Tour that’s going to start before the end of the year; though it’s seeming like this year’s New Years Tour will be another city focused Tour, so the best we’ll get are new city routes. Appears to be focused on Asian cities, seeing as Tokyo, Singapore and especially Bangkok have gotten massive ID increases in recent Tours; so expect Bangkok 2 or 3, maybe Singapore 3 if we’re lucky.
Yeah, I generally consider the New Year tours to be for, well, the new year, given that it mostly runs during that timeframe. That’s how I counted the previous ones, anyway.

Interesting to see another city focused tour though. Gotta think Singapore 3 is a lock, they’ve been introducing two new variants in these as of late. Wonder if it’ll be another double-header, with the second tour featuring an entirely new city track.

Ok I believe I’ve played each of the new tracks ten times now so I want to take a stab at ranking them. I’m still really working through my feelings here as all the tracks are awesome this wave. So going to be fun to look back on four months from now when Wave 4 rolls around. I’ll vote in the poll finally too with my pick, but I might change it in a few weeks who knows.

1 Berlin Byways
2 Rainbow Road 7
3 Maple Treeway
4 Rock Rock Mountain
5 Boo Lake
6 London Loop
7 Peach Gardens
8 Merry Mountain

I tend to gravitate to the more difficult tracks and the top three I want to optimize the most. Berlin in particular it really feels like there’s a lot for me to improve on. Rainbow Road 7 really feels like I’m playing it for the first time since it is just so much better here. Maple Treeway is an absolute classic for a reason and I’ve had some vicious races.

I adore Rock Rock and the turns at the start and the one to set you up to climb the mountain are so good. Boo Lake is excellent fun, London also. Peach Gardens is great, but I’m still getting used to the last lap. I think I would have preferred no twist. Merry Mountain is beautiful and has some great stuff, but it does feel more of a beginner course. That said, it’s a very good beginner course and one of my favorite now in the game.

But yeah, still early impressions for all of these. I’m looking forward to playing them all with friends and family online in the weeks ahead.

It feels so very good to have all six cups on the top line of the DLC page. 72 tracks!!! 24 still to come! Item select!! What a glorious time for Mario Kart fans.

How much y'all wanna bet that they're gonna add 4 tracks to get it to 100 courses for Mario Kart 8 Ultimate?
They should just rotate the mobius strip 8 logo 90 degrees for the next version of Mario Kart 8 to transform it into Mario Kart Infinity and keep adding tracks indefinitely so we never have to add a page 3 of the track select screen consisting of solely one cup.

How much y'all wanna bet that they're gonna add 4 tracks to get it to 100 courses for Mario Kart 8 Ultimate?
Actually wait, I’ll accept four more tracks to ruin the track select screen if one of them is the 30 segment Xenoblade track I proposed in the last Nintendo Direct Speculation thread that takes you on a full tour of the Bionis into the Mechonis. But that’s it!

Only if it’s the Rainbow Cup with the remaining three Rainbow Roads and, uh… Omatsuri Circuit from Arcade GP DX.

Perfect.

3DS rainbow road is a true labour of love. Which I can't say about many if any of the courses in the booster expansion.

I can't win first in Maple Treeway 200cc. That track is cursed.

EDIT: Okay, I just did lol There's one turn that is absolutely cursed though, it's the open trunk section just before the Wiggler area. Not only that curve is very evil, it also feels like the physics there are different, maybe it's intentionally slippery? In 200cc I had to brake drift along the whole turn to make it, but I haven't got the right feel for it, it's very inconsistent.

Last edited:
Got to play with my some of my cousins and I was the only one with the Expansion Pass, so it was their first time playing through the Booster Course tracks. My evaluation of the Wave 3 tracks right now:

London Loop: The devs seem to be improving the visuals with every RL city track, because London Loop definitely looks more like a city. I would have hoped the NY track was as busy as this. The course layout itself is a little plain, which is fine, sometimes you just need a regular road to race on.

Boo Lake: It plucked itself out of my childhood memories and filtered the GBA pixels through an HD filter. I seriously love how retro it looks despite the updated graphics. Having the second half of the track go underwater was brilliant, complemented by the skeletal fish swimming about.

Rock Rock Mountain: So yeah, I didn't play MK on 3DS. And apparently the rock in the name is about the music, which is guitar-smashingly awesome. Lots of glider parts which means plenty of opportunities to troll other players; nothing quite beats the satisfaction of red-shelling an airborne Isabelle. I also liked trying to get as much hang time as possible.

Maple Treeway: My cousins found this track difficult to drive in, which I found a bit weird since I personally didn't have any problems. Maybe I should try it at 200cc. The giant autumnal tree is a lovely setting, but I dunno, I would have liked a little more visual pizazz.

Berlin Byways: Easily the best RL city track in the game so far. It's a busy city with Toad Turnpike-esque traffic and terrifying Thwomps serving as obstacles (or ramps!). Each lap is visually distinct, there are quite a few thrilling turns, and on top of it all, the music SLAPS.

Peach Gardens: Another nostalgia bomb, this time from NDS. Not sure if I like how wide that one segment of the track is, it looks nice but there's barely anything to stop you from barreling through. I do like how the third lap reverses and you get to fly and see the beautiful garden art. Really neat.

Merry Mountain: A bit too simple for my tastes. Doesn't help that I'm generally ambivalent towards Christmas aesthetics. My cousins loved it though.

Rainbow Road 3DS: Finally got to see what the fuss is about, and yeah it delivers. It's downright challenging, but oh does it feel so good to weave through the pitfalls at top speed. Visually I think the space station theming of MK8 Rainbow Road edges it out, but it still looks really nice, especially the rainbow effect of the road itself. That the track is one long course instead of three laps in a loop is a huge bonus. Definitely my favorite in this wave.

Completed both cups with three stars in all speed classes. I have some impressions of the courses in 200cc, some of them feel very different!

London Loop is a tad more fun in 200cc. Still think the course feels very samey all the way through, would prefer it to be three identical laps for more cohesion and less confusion.

Boo Lake is great in 200cc, my favorite way to play it. If you do it right, you still only need to brake drift on that U turn, everything else can be done without braking.

Rock Rock Mountain is getting more boring the more I play it. In 200cc you spend half the time airborne, which isn't very interesting.

Maple Treeway as I mentioned before is very challenging in 200c. Required a lot of precision and knowledge of the track to pull of the turns swiftly, and that one particular turn I still haven't figured out how to do consistently.

Berlin Byways is also incredibly challenging in 200cc. It's way to wavy, and I don't think it flows very well (although I love it in 150cc).

Peach Gardens on the other hand flows like magic in 200cc. Definitely my favorite way of playing that track.

Merry Mountain is definitely more fun in 200cc! It's a mid track in 150cc, but in 200cc it flows well and allows for a good speed rush, plus the scenario is still top notch.

Rainbow Road 3DS is also amazing in 200c. It requires a lot of precision, but it flows incredibly if you can pull it off, and it feels amazing to do it. Another favorite of mine for sure.

They should just rotate the mobius strip 8 logo 90 degrees for the next version of Mario Kart 8 to transform it into Mario Kart Infinity and keep adding tracks indefinitely so we never have to add a page 3 of the track select screen consisting of solely one cup.
Hypothetically Mario Kart 8 Ultimate would have a brand new menu lol

Surprised no one has done a tier list yet lol

S Tier:
  • Ninja Hideaway
  • 3DS Rainbow Road
  • Waluigi Pinball
  • Maple Treeway
  • Boo Lake
  • Snow Land
A Tier:
  • Choco Mountain
  • Sydney Sprint
  • Merry Mountain
  • London Loop
  • Mushroom Gorge
  • Coconut Mall
  • Shroom Ridge
  • Berlin Byways
  • Kalamari Desert
B Tier:
  • Tokyo Blur
  • Sky High Sundae
  • Paris Promenade
  • New York Minute
  • Sky Garden
  • Rock Rock Mountain
  • Peach Gardens
C Tier:
  • SNES Mario Circuit
  • Toad Circuit

One racer allowed to have 4 red shells should be illegal 💀 Had a great run on Berlin in 1st until 2nd place hits me with 3 of them, only blocking the first one. It's peak unfun

So if we get Wii Rainbow Road, that means we’ll have 5/8 Rainbow Roads in MK8…

I think they’re saving GCN Rainbow Road for a full makeover in the next MK, as N64RR was in vanilla MK8.

I have to say before we knew the courses in the BCP, I would’ve said GBA Rainbow Road is the most likely to appear in it. So they could get the portable one out of the way before fully reimagining Double Dash’s in the next MK.

Final count of tracks per game from base + booster course pack:

SNES: 4
N64: 6
GBA: 8
GCN: 8
DS: 7
Wii: 9
3DS: 7
Tour: 14
Original: 33

Around half tracks of GCN, DS, Wii and 3DS entries is far from good. I would prefer a few less original tracks and more N64/SNES ones so it also has 8 in each game.

Final count of tracks per game from base + booster course pack:

SNES: 4
N64: 6
GBA: 8
GCN: 8
DS: 7
Wii: 9
3DS: 7
Tour: 14
Original: 33

Around half tracks of GCN, DS, Wii and 3DS entries is far from good. I would prefer a few less original tracks and more N64/SNES ones so it also has 8 in each game.

Feels wrong to count the non-city Tour tracks as 8 originals even if they are branded as such in-game. Still referred to with the mob(ile) prefix internally too, and were obviously made for that game in the first place.

Would be nice if N64, DS and 3DS had a few more each but i’m not too bothered with SNES having the lowest count. The courses from that game aren’t particularly great, and by the end of the DLC all but one of the course themes from that game will likely be appropriately covered:

Mario Circuit - SNES Mario Circuit 3
Donut Plains - SNES Donut Plains 3
Choco Island - N64 Choco Mountain
Bowser Castle - ???
Ghost Valley - GBA Boo Lake
Koopa Beach - ???
Vanilla Lake - GBA Snow Land
Rainbow Road - SNES Rainbow Road

I expect the last SNES course to be a Bowser Castle and if it isn’t the last GBA course will be. Personally hope for SNES Bowser Castle 2 and GBA Riverside Park myself.

Back
Top Bottom