• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Mario Kart 8 Deluxe – Booster Course Pass |ST| Doubled Dash!! [WAVE 6 AVAILABLE NOW]

What is your favorite course in Wave 6?

• Rome Avanti

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • DK Mountain

Votes: 7 14.6%
  • Daisy Circuit

Votes: 1 2.1%
  • Piranha Plant Cove

Votes: 3 6.3%
  • Madrid Drive

Votes: 1 2.1%
  • Rosalina's Ice World

Votes: 7 14.6%
  • SNES Bowser Castle 3

Votes: 11 22.9%
  • Wii Rainbow Road

Votes: 18 37.5%

• Total voters
I’m as interested in seeing this new information as the rest of you, lol. With fishguy backing it despite being the one to datamine the prefixes in the first place there’s definitely something there. A “sticky situation” indeed, if Wave 3 is suddenly changing in a way that’s this hard for them to just explain.

If this pans out, I'm starting to think this will be the classic Nintendo reaction to leaks being 'plans change' in action.

Absolutely not. It's probably them not finishing something so they're shafting around.

DLC just don't worked like that. Most companies just don't change the DLC just spite the leaks, for sure.

Well, here's the supposed leak. A lot of these are obvious: London, Berlin, and Merry Mountain remain unchanged, Peach Gardens is taking the slot previously held by Waluigi Stadium, the Saturn logo seems like an obvious fit to 3DS Rainbow Road, and the Rock is almost certainly Rock Rock Mountain.

As for the remaining two, I dunno. The coordinates lead to Cascade Summit in Oregon, which could maybe be DK Summit? As for the Acer one, I have no clue. Regardless, it seems like GBA Boo Lake and GCN Waluigi Stadium got the boot, assuming this is legit (which it very well could not be).

EDIT: Acer is name of tree genus that belongs to Maples, so that would almost certainly be Maple Treeway, which would in turn likely rule out DK Summit as that second track.

EDIT 2: Moving up a bit from the coordinates, you can find Boo Boo Lake, which means that GBA Boo Lake made the cut after all. In other words, only GCN Waluigi Stadium got cut for Wii Maple Treeway.

So the supposedly updated tracklist would be as such:
  • ROCK CUP
    • Tour London Loop
    • GBA Boo Lake
    • 3DS Rock Rock Mountain
    • Wii Maple Treeway
  • MOON CUP
    • Tour Berlin Byways
    • DS Peach Gardens
    • Merry Mountain
    • 3DS Rainbow Road
Nintendo really hates GCN tracks, huh.

Last edited:
I mean I did want to hear Maple Treeway's remix sooner so that's a win for me, lol.

How are we feeling about the new Wave 3?

Wave_3.png

Man I am torn. On one hand, getting Maple Treeway a year earlier than expected is awesome, plus the remix would be rockin’. And it makes sense since it is so close to autumn. On the other hand… would have been nice to finally have a GameCube track in the BCP with halfpipes, but ah well. We’ll see if it is real or not.

Well, here's the supposed leak. A lot of these are obvious: London, Berlin, and Merry Mountain remain unchanged, Peach Gardens is taking the slot previously held by Waluigi Stadium, the Saturn logo seems like an obvious fit to 3DS Rainbow Road, and the Rock is almost certainly Rock Rock Mountain.

As for the remaining two, I dunno. The coordinates lead to Cascade Summit in Oregon, which could maybe be DK Summit? As for the Acer one, I have no clue. Regardless, it seems like GBA Boo Lake and GCN Waluigi Stadium got the boot, assuming this is legit (which it very well could not be).

EDIT: Acer is name of tree genus that belongs to Maples, so that would almost certainly be Maple Treeway, which would in turn likely rule out DK Summit as that second track.

EDIT 2: Moving up a bit from the coordinates, you can find Boo Boo Lake, which means that GBA Boo Lake made the cut after all. In other words, only GCN Waluigi Stadium got cut for Wii Maple Treeway.

Thanks for the follow up and analysis here.

Maple getting in early would be bizarre in the sense it was believed to be a Wave 6 track. You’d think something a year away wouldn’t be ready early to be swapped. That said, the only reason it was pinned for Wave 6 was because of the music leak which didn’t have everything and could suggest those were closer to being completed and the slots were arbitrary as prefixes were quietly shuffled after wave 1.

I’m glad speculation was reopened to keep it interesting, but I did like the Wave 3 we thought we had. That said too, Maple Treeway is one of my favorite tracks and I’d trade it for Waluigi or Boo Lake at least.

I mean I did want to hear Maple Treeway's remix sooner so that's a win for me, lol.

Wave_3.png
Other than Rock Rock not concluding the Rock Cup, I’m very good with this. I prefer Maple Treeway over Waluigi Stadium, but I do like Waluigi Stadium a ton too so hopefully it makes Wave 4 at least.

Thanks for the follow up and analysis here.

Maple getting in early would be bizarre in the sense it was believed to be a Wave 6 track. You’d think something a year away wouldn’t be ready early to be swapped. That said, the only reason it was pinned for Wave 6 was because of the music leak which didn’t have everything and could suggest those were closer to being completed and the slots were arbitrary as prefixes were quietly shuffled after wave 1.

I’m glad speculation was reopened to keep it interesting, but I did like the Wave 3 we thought we had. That said too, Maple Treeway is one of my favorite tracks and I’d trade it for Waluigi or Boo Lake at least.
I wonder if my initial guess was wrong, and that the music leak actually signifies tracks that are more or less completely finished, or at the very least close to it. Would make it a lot easier to swap out a couple tracks then. Maple Treeway was also the first Wii track to be ported to Tour IIRC, so they might have started on it a while back.

Prefixes being shuffled is definitely big though; Wave 3 didn't really change that much, but it opens the door for succeeding waves to shift a lot more, which in turn could open the door for potential new possibilities, such as a few of the blanks actually being retros. Another thing I've been struggling with is working in some Bowser themed tracks due to how the prefixes were laid out, but adjusting future waves makes that a lot easier.

Wave_3.png
Maple Treeway is my 2nd favorite Mario Kart track of all time, only behind 3DS Rainbow Road, so I'm stoked for this. Only complaint is the continued lack of GCN representation, which is just getting weird at this point. Would've swapped 3DS Rock Rock Mountain or GBA Boo Lake out instead.

Other than Rock Rock not concluding the Rock Cup, I’m very good with this.

It IS more in line with where the big heavy-hitter retros (Coconut Mall and Waluigi Pinball) were in Wave 1 and 2; and the namesake of the Propeller (Mushroom) Cup was in the third slot there too. Definitely think a Star Cup is a more thrilling finale than a Flower Cup track too.

Another important takeaway out of this is that Vancouver has a good shot of showing up in Wave 4, given that Wave 6 is bunk. They've been mostly going in order of when the Tour tracks were created (which would explain why Sydney Sprint was so early) so Vancouver in Wave 4 makes a lot of sense. Would probably sub in for Singapore, although it's not impossible that Amsterdam gets the boot too and they just stick with 2 Tour tracks again.

It IS more in line with where the big heavy-hitter retros (Coconut Mall and Waluigi Pinball) were in Wave 1 and 2; and the namesake of the Propeller (Mushroom) Cup was in the third slot there too. Definitely think a Star Cup is a more thrilling finale than a Flower Cup track too.
Yeah I definitely agree Maple Treeway is the better track and a better course finisher.

That perfect rock synergy we almost had though! lol

When the Booster Course Pass was first announced I came up with a top 40 list of retro tracks I wanted most. I had Rock Rock Mountain at 5 and Maple Treeway at 4. I’m genuinely very pleased with the next wave.

I wonder if the swap is to help new players get used to halfpipes? Having such a halfpipe heavy track as the introduction to a new mechanic 80% of MK8D players haven't experienced isn't a great idea. Both Maple Treeway and Merry Mountain only have one so they could ease new players into it.

Wave_3.png
I think this change is for the better because I believed the Rock Cup was too easy and in a weird order. Boo Lake should’ve been at least second and Alpine Pass is no final cup track. Maple Treeway IS.

Although I’m really missing the GCN tracks. Next year, we will probably have four coming! I really hope Dino Dino Jungle won’t be the first GCN track coming, because that is my least anticipated GCN track of the likely upcoming ones.

Also, they can now evenly spread out all the Wii tracks with each wave haring exactly one.

Also, no Maple Treeway in the Acorn Cup feels weird :p

Really liking how this Moon Cup is shaping up, it could become my favourite cup in the whole game based on the list of tracks!

Wave_3.png
imo the new order makes more sense. But i would’ve replaced Rock Rock Mountain with Waluigi Stadium.

I think Rock Rock Moutain is a boring course with little to no obstacles and i would take any 3DS track over it

Now that I've slept on it, I wanna just jot some thoughts down about the prefixes now being invalidated. There's two different options now.
  • The prefix numbers are inaccurate
    • This would toss the whole leak out, and just leave us with the tracks we know from the banner and music datamine.
    • I think it's still a fairly safe assumption that we'll get at least one nitro track per wave, as well as Wii Rainbow Road in the final wave.
    • That would leave 11/24 tracks still unaccounted for.
  • The prefix numbers are still accurate
    • Nintendo is just shuffling tracks around, rather than outright cutting certain tracks.
    • This would have some fairly interesting consequences:
      • The prefix leak initially had every GCN track in the 2nd slot of the 2nd cup. Given that the tracks in that slot up to this point haven't exactly been huge fan favorites, this initially led me to believe that the GCN track selection would be fairly weak, with big names like GCN DK Mountain and GCN Bowser's Castle having very little chance of showing up. That no longer seems to be the case.
      • On a similar note, I've had trouble placing a Bowser's Castle track somewhere in the DLC, as DS Airship Fortress sorta filled that void in Wave 4, making a GBA Bowser's Castle unlikely. Again, that no longer would be the case.
      • The fact that Wave 6 it already completely debunked helps bolster the theory that there are only 6 nitro tracks, rather than 8. This would open the door for more N64, DS, or 3DS tracks.
      • Probably some others I'm just not seeing at the moment.
Regardless, predictions should be a lot more fun for the next couple weeks until Nintendo inadvertently leaks the entire BCP again when Wave 3 drops.

The impression I'm getting is that this is mostly courses being shuffled around within the DLC as opposed to being planned and axed in favor of different courses

I can't imagine any reason why they'd want to do the latter

The impression I'm getting is that this is mostly courses being shuffled around within the DLC as opposed to being planned and axed in favor of different courses

I can't imagine any reason why they'd want to do the latter
The argument for the latter would probably be that certain tracks never progressed beyond the planning stage, and were instead swapped out for other tracks before any serious development on them really began. That would in turn mean that the prefix and music datamines are a lot older than we thought, probably pretty close to when development started.

I'm leaning more towards tracks just being shuffled around myself though.

Based on nothing I'm going to guess that the Twitter clues was put out 4 weeks before launch just like last time, which would mean ~Black Friday launch, which seems like a sensible time

The argument for the latter would probably be that certain tracks never progressed beyond the planning stage, and were instead swapped out for other tracks before any serious development on them really began. That would in turn mean that the prefix and music datamines are a lot older than we thought, probably pretty close to when development started.
It's possible, but I can't imagine what would prompt them to do so. They're all pre-existing tracks, it's not like technical constraints should be a thing.

It's possible, but I can't imagine what would prompt them to do so. They're all pre-existing tracks, it's not like technical constraints should be a thing.
There isn’t really any particular reason why Nintendo would be swapping tracks around either though. Could just be that Nintendo wanted different tracks.

I'm still kinda hoping some of the non-prefix tracks in wave 6 are actually a N64 and a 3DS track. It just feels weird having so little of them, with all being placed in one of the first waves.

so what do we think the new lineup is?
For Wave 3? Just swap out Waluigi Stadium for Maple Treeway and shuffle the order around. But for the rest of the pass, Ratgorl says pretty much all the waves have been shuffled so predictions at this point are now a shot in the dark which I'm not even gonna attempt.

Keep in mind that is if this all is accurate

But hey, speculation is now interesting again

so what do we think the new lineup is?
For this wave? Mondo has a great chart in post 2805 showing the music datamine leak vs the alleged new one. Short version, reshuffled order and Waluigi is out, Maple Treeway is in.

If the reshuffle is real, which it might not be since they did not get everything right last time (someone can double check, but iirc it was 6/8 correct for Wave 2), I feel the spread of courses is likely still accurate despite the shuffle since the number of Tour and ??? courses both match the current and datamined total number of courses exactly. In other words, I’m not suspecting an additional N64 course for example.

If this shuffle ends up being true, I still wouldn't expect there to be any changes in the amount of certain tracks, e.g. there will still be 3 more Wii tracks after Wave 3 and also I don't think they will outright replace any planned tracks e.g. every track that was initially planned for the booster course pass is still getting in, so GCN Waluigi Stadium will still be getting in, but in a different wave.

I'm still going to believe in the datamine over this leaker. They didn't get everything right last time so they could just be making guesses. If Maple Treeway gets in I'll be ecstatic, otherwise I'm happy with the courses we're getting anyways.

I'm still going to believe in the datamine over this leaker. They didn't get everything right last time so they could just be making guesses. If Maple Treeway gets in I'll be ecstatic, otherwise I'm happy with the courses we're getting anyways.
I’m also rolling with believing the old datamine leak myself. Glad either version is good though.

I feel like, either way, we got a good set of tracks coming. I'm willing to go along for the ride with this one and see where the race takes us, so to speak.

I think the main thing going for this new tracklist isn't the leaker itself, but the fact that the user who datamined the prefixes in the first place is backing them. That puts a lot more weight behind this than if it was just the leaker themselves, who is definitely a bit unreliable. Could be some new datamining discovery that just hasn't been shared yet.

Regardless, I want to get one final prediction in before we inevitably see more leaks in Wave 3. Gonna assume the new tracklist is the correct one.

• Fruit Cup
    • Tour Vancouver Velocity
    • GBA Sunset Wilds
    • Wii DK Summit
    • ???
  • Boomerang Cup
    • Tour Amsterdam Drift
    • SNES Koopa Beach 2
    • GCN Waluigi Stadium
    • Tour Los Angeles Laps
  • Feather Cup
    • Tour Singapore Speedway
    • GBA Yoshi Desert
    • GCN DK Mountain
    • Tour ???
  • Cherry Cup
    • Tour Bangkok Rush
    • Wii Koopa Cape
    • DS Airship Fortress
    • ???
  • Acorn Cup
    • Tour ???
    • GCN Daisy Cruiser
    • 3DS Shy Guy Bazaar
    • ???
  • Spiny Cup
    • Tour ???
    • N64 Frappe Snowland
    • GCN Bowser's Castle
    • Wii Rainbow Road

I think the main thing going for this new tracklist isn't the leaker itself, but the fact that the user who datamined the prefixes in the first place is backing them. That puts a lot more weight behind this than if it was just the leaker themselves, who is definitely a bit unreliable. Could be some new datamining discovery that just hasn't been shared yet.

Regardless, I want to get one final prediction in before we inevitably see more leaks in Wave 3. Gonna assume the new tracklist is the correct one.

• Fruit Cup
    • Tour Vancouver Velocity
    • GBA Sunset Wilds
    • Wii DK Summit
    • ???
  • Boomerang Cup
    • Tour Amsterdam Drift
    • SNES Koopa Beach 2
    • GCN Waluigi Stadium
    • Tour Los Angeles Laps
  • Feather Cup
    • Tour Singapore Speedway
    • GBA Yoshi Desert
    • GCN DK Mountain
    • Tour ???
  • Cherry Cup
    • Tour Bangkok Rush
    • Wii Koopa Cape
    • DS Airship Fortress
    • ???
  • Acorn Cup
    • Tour ???
    • GCN Daisy Cruiser
    • 3DS Shy Guy Bazaar
    • ???
  • Spiny Cup
    • Tour ???
    • N64 Frappe Snowland
    • GCN Bowser's Castle
    • Wii Rainbow Road
Twitter likes don't mean backing. It could mean any number of things.

Twitter likes don't mean backing. It could mean any number of things.
They retweeted "prefixes are all invalid now" and directly responded to the "leak". Doesn't necessarily mean that the new tracklist is accurate, but I struggle to see how that is anything but support.

They retweeted "prefixes are all invalid now" and directly responded to the "leak". Doesn't necessarily mean that the new tracklist is accurate, but I struggle to see how that is anything but support.
How would they know unless Nintendo updated the game? They're dataminers, not insiders.

How would they know unless Nintendo updated the game? They're dataminers, not insiders.
I'm certainly not familiar with how datamines work, especially for Mario Kart 8, but it's entirely possible that they uncovered something new that they didn't initially discover. It took years to discover the Tour track IDs this thread was discussing a few weeks ago, this stuff isn't always found immediately. It's also possible that they simply decided not to share this stuff into later on for whatever reason.

Regardless, we won't know for sure until Wave 3 comes out, so it's ultimately all speculation until then.

Assuming the datamine or leak is correct, how would y'all rate the track selection halfway through the DLC?
  • Paris Promenade (Tour)
  • Toad Circuit (3DS)
  • Choco Mountain (N64)
  • Coconut Mall (Wii)
  • Tokyo Blur (Tour)
  • Shroom Ridge (DS)
  • Sky Garden (GBA)
  • Ninja Hideaway (Tour)
  • New York Minute (Tour)
  • Mario Circuit 3 (SNES)
  • Kalimari Desert (N64)
  • Waluigi Pinball (DS)
  • Sydney Sprint (Tour)
  • Snow Land (GBA)
  • Mushroom Gorge (Wii)
  • Sky-High Sundae (New)
  • London Loop (Tour)
  • Peach Gardens (DS)
  • Boo Lake (GBA)
  • Rock Rock Mountain (3DS)
  • Berlin Byways (Tour)
  • Waluigi Stadium (GCN) OR Maple Treeway (Wii)
  • Merry Mountain (Tour)
  • Rainbow Road (3DS)
I'd give it a B score (mostly brought down by a less than stellar Wave 1).

Wave 1 was very good imo. Ninja Hideaway, Shroom Ridge, Coconut Mall and Choco Mountain are brilliant tracks for me. Toad Circuit is really simple but I still enjoy it. Tokyo Blur is a dud track though.

Wave 2, the best tracks imo are Mario Circuit 3, Waluigi Pinball, Sydney Sprint, Snow Land, and Mushroom Gorge. New York is pretty good and Kalimari and Sky High Sundae are the weakest offerings despite still being fun.

Hard to judge the quality of wave 3 before seeing them; any possible layout or visual changes would be appreciated. I think Rock Rock would benefit from both and Maple Treeway needs the latter to restore aspects of the original. We’ve seen anti-gravity added to Merry Mountain, so we can only hope appropriate areas on Rock Rock and Boo Lake receive the same treatment.

Quality of the second half of the DLC, meanwhile, is pretty reliant on the quality of tracks we haven’t even seen yet. The three remaining Tour cities and the five non-city nitros make up a third of that selection, so let’s hope none of them are duds. Shouldn’t be too hard to make a good Yoshi’s Island track right.

As for releasing timing for wave 3, we should have an idea next week when we see the teaser for the tour after the next’s Mii Costume. If it’s obviously Christmas themed then we’ve hit the jackpot. The 2020 and 2021 Holiday Tours, with Merry Mountain in spotlight, occurred at the start of December rather than over Christmas; and the wave 1 and 2 promotional tours with Ninja Hideaway and Sky High-Sundae dropped as soon as possible after the DLC did. If Merry Mountain is in spotlight for the Tour starting November 30th, then we’ll see the DLC release the prior week, 25th of November maybe.

Last edited:
Yeah I'm also not totally ready to judge the first half of the DLC considering there were a few courses that impressed me more than I thought walking in based on prior versions, Shroom Ridge and Snow Land for example, and others I was excited for that I didn't end up too wild over like Mushroom Gorge. But even with just Wave 1 and 2 I've been very happy with the Booster Course Pass so far. I'm over 410 hours with Mario Kart 8 Deluxe now (roughly 500 together with the Wii U version) so new tracks have been incredibly welcome and some are just huge staples of regular play for me. I'm excited for whichever version of Wave 3 we get since I do like all of the retro tracks and two of them, Rock Rock Mountain and if it happens Maple Treeway, were in my top five most wanted for the pass.

Doing a tier ranking of what we have so far seems fun so I'll go with that:

S-Tier: Ninja Hideaway, Shroom Ridge

A-Tier: Choco Mountain, Coconut Mall, Mario Circuit 3, Sydney Sprint, Waluigi Pinball, Tokyo Blur, Snow Land

B-Tier: New York Minute, Paris Promenade, Sky Garden

C-Tier: Mushroom Gorge, Kalimari Desert, Sky-High Sundae, Toad Circuit

Back
Top Bottom