• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Mario Kart 8 Deluxe – Booster Course Pass |ST| Doubled Dash!! [WAVE 6 AVAILABLE NOW]

What is your favorite course in Wave 6?

• Rome Avanti

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • DK Mountain

Votes: 7 14.6%
  • Daisy Circuit

Votes: 1 2.1%
  • Piranha Plant Cove

Votes: 3 6.3%
  • Madrid Drive

Votes: 1 2.1%
  • Rosalina's Ice World

Votes: 7 14.6%
  • SNES Bowser Castle 3

Votes: 11 22.9%
  • Wii Rainbow Road

Votes: 18 37.5%

• Total voters
Not necessarily; if any of the new battle courses in MK8D like Urchin Underpass come back, they should technically be labeled “Switch” since they originate from 8 Deluxe.

Also, if Ninja Hideaway not being labeled with “Tour” in game is intentional and not just an error, and we end up getting some other new non-city courses that will debut in MK8D first before they’re even added to Tour (which I think may happen), then I half expect any of the new non-city courses to be labeled separately from the Tour city courses in future games, too. Maybe “BCP” or “Booster”? I dunno, lol.
I could very much see that being the case, some sort of covid-impact of when they expected to get the booster pack out the door vs the devs assisting on other titles or waiting for the rest of the expansion pack to materialize. Perhaps that's a leftover from the track being intended to debut in Booster. It'll be weird if we get new courses in Booster that are pre-labeled as Tour lol.

Why are the Tour tracks all so wide? The item boxes are in rows of at least six, and the tracks feel overly long with uninteresting turns. Ninja Hideaway has some tight turns that make up for the rest of the track, but Paris Promenade and Tokyo Blur need to be scaled down by like 10-20%.
Yeah the scaling definitely feels off. That plus the graphics makes the experience just feel off-brand compared to the main cups.

But this is the one case where I'm happy with quantity over quality since I wasn't expecting them anyway and very much so do not enjoy Tour lol

Paris Promenade feels fine to me, it reminds me of Delfino Square which I loved. I was surprised by how much care was put into it, I think it could have been in the base game no problem.

Tokyo Blur is a bit meh, because there isn't much going on (and the Thwomps are kinda out of place) but isn't bad in any way, it's just a more straight forward course. At leats it has unique visuals which is nice.

Why are the Tour tracks all so wide? The item boxes are in rows of at least six and up to eight, and the tracks feel overly long with uninteresting turns. Ninja Hideaway has some tight turns that make up for the rest of the track, but Paris Promenade and Tokyo Blur need to be scaled down by like 10-20%.
I think it's to accomodate smaller mobile screens in addition to all those long drifts you do with the touchscreen. Based on gameplay videos I've seen, sometimes it can get hectic with the visual noise of random items and point combos racking up. I definitely had an adjustment period with the scale of the tracks overall. Paris Promenade and Ninja Hideaway feel fine to me now but Tokyo Blur is definitely....oddly large to me still lol.

I think a temp invincibility state after being hit would improve the game immensely in terms of local / online mp. Getting hit by a red shell, then a red shell then a blue shell isn't fun or balanced imo.
They actually added invincibility frames to MK8DX.
Also is it the main Mario Kart team who make the mobile game and this content or is it farmed out? If so you have to wonder what the main team has been doing for almost 5 whole years. I'd take an ARMS 2 to tide me over until MK9/10.
Yeah EPD 9 made Mario Kart Tour, it was likely what they moved onto after Arms which makes sense since it was announced in January 2018 and has been their main focus since.

Why are the Tour tracks all so wide? The item boxes are in rows of at least six and up to eight, and the tracks feel overly long with uninteresting turns. Ninja Hideaway has some tight turns that make up for the rest of the track, but Paris Promenade and Tokyo Blur need to be scaled down by like 10-20%.
They were way smaller in Tour, the larger scale is to accommodate for 12 players and for not relying on forced Smart Steering. I see people mess up some of these turns on 150cc still.

Ninja Hideaway makes me want a diddy kong style hub world / mission modes so bad lol

but where tf are the ninji

They actually added invincibility frames to MK8DX.

Yeah EPD 9 made Mario Kart Tour, it was likely what they moved onto after Arms which makes sense since it was announced in January 2018 and has been their main focus since.
Thanks for the info. Would it really take their whole team all this time to make MK Tour? Surely they’re working on something else in the meantime.

Thanks for the info. Would it really take their whole team all this time to make MK Tour? Surely they’re working on something else in the meantime.
Well Mario Kart Tour came out in 2019, so they’ve probably been working on something else since then alongside the post-launch updates. But from 2017-2019 the main focus was definitely Tour.

Finally got around to playing this DLC. Overall enjoying it. I like the Choco Mountain and Sky Garden re-imagining. The two real world Trou tracks are enjoyable enough with the alternate routes. And Ninja Hideaway is a really good track with all the alternate routes snaking around. Even though it's clear these tracks have basically been lifted from all the work they've done for tour (no anti-grav sections are a massive indication of this), there's still plenty to enjoy here.

Just a real shame no new characters or kart parts. That would make this DLC truly feel whole

I think it's good that they are putting loads of tour tracks in 8D because Nintendo could easily pull the plug on Tour at any point and these tracks would become unplayable.

are you talking on the DLC maps or on all maps
I’ve seen it in regular maps too. Had it happen on Cheep Cheep Beach for sure. That’s what pushed me over the edge to post about it. That it wasn’t just a DLC thing.

Edit: Forgot Mario Kart Stadium too, which is extra weird since that usually has the tightest groups in my experience.

Edit 2 it happened again on Tick Tock Clock.

Last edited:
How do you guys think the Booster Course Pass will affect the next MK game? Will they opt to include no retro tracks at launch because of "fatigue" and put them in as DLC or will they stick with the half new track/half retro approach and not care whether or not they appeared in the Pass or not?

Personally, I'm hoping they go with the latter given I'm not expecting any of the tracks to be as remade as base 8's were.

I feel really sour on this. The Wii U DLC was so good even if the price/content ratio was inferior because it felt like something the devs wanted to get out of their system with all these cool crossovers with other franchises and some of the best tracks in the series like Dragon Driftway and Mute City. Hell, even the new stuff they added in the jump to Switch with 8DX was fantastic and was enough for me to double dip. This Profit Booster Pass on the other hand was only made because Nintendo wanted you to get your cash out of your wallet. I was really looking forward to Coconut Mall but all the details that made it what it was and gave it that curious feel are gone like the escalators, the driving Miis, some of the stores being just non-reflective nor transparent "windows" (they are literally grey blocks) and the glass ramp you ride right when you exit the mall being replaced by solid material. Why would you even go out of your way to do any of this? "They're taken from Tour" isn't an excuse, if you are charging money for this then go back and undo it so your product doesn't end up a complete embarrassment.

The silver lining for me is that I didn't have to spend a dime to try them out but nonetheless it saddens me that Nintendo will be rewarded for this with millions of sales the same way they were for BDSP. They are getting cocky and god is it blatant.

It's pretty scary how some have gone into full Karen mode for half-dollar tracks. I feel bad for the devs and the producers that worked hard to get this greenlit, but now are being labeled as lazy devs because their work isn't the best looking thing in the system.

I feel really sour on this. The Wii U DLC was so good even if the price/content ratio was inferior because it felt like something the devs wanted to get out of their system with all these cool crossovers with other franchises and some of the best tracks in the series like Dragon Driftway and Mute City. Hell, even the new stuff they added in the jump to Switch with 8DX was fantastic and was enough for me to double dip. This Profit Booster Pass on the other hand was only made because Nintendo wanted you to get your cash out of your wallet. I was really looking forward to Coconut Mall but all the details that made it what it was and gave it that curious feel are gone like the escalators, the driving Miis, some of the stores being just non-reflective nor transparent "windows" (they are literally grey blocks) and the glass ramp you ride right when you exit the mall being replaced by solid material. Why would you even go out of your way to do any of this? "They're taken from Tour" isn't an excuse, if you are charging money for this then go back and undo it so your product doesn't end up a complete embarrassment.

The silver lining for me is that I didn't have to spend a dime to try them out but nonetheless it saddens me that Nintendo will be rewarded for this with millions of sales the same way they were for BDSP. They are getting cocky and god is it blatant.
I think this dlc budget is hampered by its big scope and long rollout.
You can't ask too much for a thing that will be complete in the span of two years without scaring people but then we're unfortunately far from base game quality.

Oh, that's Waluigi Pinball.

unknown.png

MKT_Icon_WaluigiPinballTDS.png

Specifically this segment of the trick preview image:

unknown.png

The green on the bottom of the banner shot is Luigi's cap from the renders above.

Oh, that's Waluigi Pinball.

unknown.png

MKT_Icon_WaluigiPinballTDS.png

Specifically this segment of the trick preview image:

unknown.png

The green on the bottom of the banner shot is Luigi's cap from the renders above.
As if there was any doubts that this winner of a track would be returning lol

What do we think the lore is in regards to Ninja Hideaway?

Does Wario just own his own ninja hideaway and presumably an army of ninjas? Is Wario a ninja?

Did a ninja group ask to be funded and went to Wario for funds/construction and Wario stipulated or built it with Wario theming?

Was a ninja group out there just big fans of Wario and any theming of the hideaway is a tribute?

Are Kat and Ana involved in any way?

The world needs to know.

How do you guys think the Booster Course Pass will affect the next MK game? Will they opt to include no retro tracks at launch because of "fatigue" and put them in as DLC or will they stick with the half new track/half retro approach and not care whether or not they appeared in the Pass or not?

Personally, I'm hoping they go with the latter given I'm not expecting any of the tracks to be as remade as base 8's were.

I'm still expecting half new and half retro. The retro tracks have the benefit of not needing much design work beyond incorporating whatever new gameplay twist they add (gliders, antigravity). For Mario Kart 7 for example, Nintendo had outsourced all the retro tracks to Retro Studios given that they were more straightforward to implement, although Retro also did some original tracks too.

The other thing too is that I think fans will expect more tracks from a new Mario Kart game than maybe the standard 32, given that the last time we were at 32 tracks was MK8 vanilla back in 2014. So I wouldn't be surprised if they consider trying to go to 40 or 48 tracks at launch.

Cleared all the 150cc cups with three stars, got one more to do for Mirror, and have four 150cc time trials whose staff ghosts remain unbeaten. After I finish those up I'll probably come back to the game once the next wave drops to take a crack at the 200cc stuff.

What do we think the lore is in regards to Ninja Hideaway?

Does Wario just own his own ninja hideaway and presumably an army of ninjas? Is Wario a ninja?

Did a ninja group ask to be funded and went to Wario for funds/construction and Wario stipulated or built it with Wario theming?

Was a ninja group out there just big fans of Wario and any theming of the hideaway is a tribute?

Are Kat and Ana involved in any way?

The world needs to know.
I thought the pairing was a little weird at first, but then I remembered that Mario already has a samurai costume.

b52ca621255f440ab8e1bc4c359dfaad.jpg

So the thematic element of samurai (a noble warrior who fights for nobility, i.e. Mario serving Princess Peach) vs ninja (mercenaries and spies for hire, seen as less honorable than samurai, like how Wario will go on wild adventures to make cash) can be played really well to Mario and Wario.

Now that I've gotten a chance to play most of them (still missing Shroom Ridge and the Ninja one) I think Paris Promenade is my fave so far. Nice aesthetic, music and a long third lap is fun.

As for graphics, I really wouldn't call any of them 'ugly' except Toad Circuit, which is really garish and textureless. Everything else looks fairly nice, just a step-down from the original courses.

Anyone else get some crazy nostalgia for these?
I haven’t played MKDS or MK7 since they came out over ten years ago, so I got pretty warm and fuzzy playing them again.

Yeah the scaling definitely feels off. That plus the graphics makes the experience just feel off-brand compared to the main cups.

But this is the one case where I'm happy with quantity over quality since I wasn't expecting them anyway and very much so do not enjoy Tour lol

I sort of feel like these are the easy cups of the bunch, hence the wide tracks and simpler layouts.

given the other courses that are likely to be pulled from tour, i'm kinda skeptical about the idea that these are just the "easy" ones

the likely candidates are all mushroom/flower tier and the only really notable "difficult" courses are bowser castle 3DS and rainbow road 3DS and i think we're already expecting those to be blown up quite a bit due to scale

maybe they'll pull something out of their hat, but i'll be surprised if they get much more complex than this

given the other courses that are likely to be pulled from tour, i'm kinda skeptical about the idea that these are just the "easy" ones

the likely candidates are all mushroom/flower tier and the only really notable "difficult" courses are bowser castle 3DS and rainbow road 3DS and i think we're already expecting those to be blown up quite a bit due to scale

maybe they'll pull something out of their hat, but i'll be surprised if they get much more complex than this
We got a few good Star and Special Cup contenders. The aforementioned 3DS Bowser's Castle and Rainbow Road, Maple Treeway, Koopa Cape, Dino Dino Jungle, maybe Wario Shipyard or Rosalina's Ice World? I don't know the likelihood of, say, Mushroom City VS Mushroom Bridge, let alone DK Pass or Airship Fortress, but those could be good too. We got almost all of the GBA Lightning Cup as contenders too, but we saw what happened to Sky Garden. I don't think any of the Tour courses will be awfully complex, unless we got a few winners like Ninja Hideaway coming up, but I wouldn't say it's all doom and gloom.

Every 3DS track is in or will be in Tour, so that's plenty of Star and Special Cup candidates from that game alone!

Like, the only tracks left for Tour that aren't already in 8DX are the Wuhu Island courses; and who knows, maybe if those made it to 8DX they'd be combined into one super long track?

I FINALLY got to play the Ninja stage after like 3 hours of it not popping up, but dang is it fun. I went a different track every lap and was so confused about where I was going and what was happening. Felt like a really good track from 7.

Final rankings now that I played them all:
Ninja Hideaway > Paris Promenade > Shroom Ridge/Choco Mountain > Coconut Mall > Sky Garden > Tokyo Blur > Toad Circuit

Last edited:

There's four times as many tracks as the Wii U DLC for twice as much money. Something was gonna give.

Your acknowledgement that most people will like it is rather at odds with calling it a 'complete embarrassment'. Yeah, some visual design changes intended for mobile screens made it over. But as pretty as Mario Kart 8 was, I don't think most people play it for the visuals.

Unexpectedly, in the tracks that feel the most like console game tracks (Tokyo & Ninja specifically) I might prefer that art style to OG MK8 😳.

If MK10 has that more abstract and cartoony aesthetic with MK8 production quality it'd be something spectacular.

There are 27 courses yet not remade in any MK, even in Tour, and 25 courses originals from MK 8, so still plenty of courses to appear in retro cups of next MK.

List of courses yet no remade:

Mario Kart 64:

Wario Stadium

Mario Kart Super Circuit:

Riverside Park
Boo Lake
Snow Land
Yoshi Desert
Lakeside Park
Broken Pier
Bowser Castle 4
Rainbow Road

Mario Kart Double Dash:

Mushroom City
Wario Colosseum
Bowser’s Castle
Rainbow Road

Mario Kart DS:

Figure-8 Circuit
Mario Circuit
Bowser Castle
Rainbow Road

Mario Kart Wii:

Luigi Circuit
Toad’s Factory
Mario Circuit
Daisy Circuit
Dry Dry Ruins
Moonview Highway
Bowser’s Castle
Rainbow Road

Mario Kart 7:

Wuhu Loop
Maka Wuhu

I FINALLY got to play the Ninja stage after like 3 hours of it not popping up, but dang is it fun. I went a different track every lap and was so confused about where I was going and what was happening. Felt like a really good track from 7.

Final rankings now that I played them all:
Ninja Hideaway > Paris Promenade > Shroom Ridge/Choco Mountain > Coconut Mall > Sky Garden > Tokyo Blur > Toad Circuit
I agree with this ranking mostly, although I would put Coconut Mall higher.

At first I was really high on the route changes on the two city tracks, but playing them more they are fairly simple, last lap in Paris makes the track though.
Sky Garden is a weird one for me, I really like the original Track and DS remake, but it's unrecognisable here really.
The Good Vibes Gaming ranking video was so negative on it but I honestly like it as a drift track, so I don't really think it's worse than Choco Mountain or Shroom Ridge.

Ninja Hideaway is without a doubt the best and I hope to see more like it.
Really have to look into the Tour tracklist, this can't be only original track of its caliber can it?

Last edited:
There are 27 courses yet not remade in any MK, even in Tour, and 25 courses originals from MK 8, so still plenty of courses to appear in retro cups of next MK.

List of courses yet no remade:

Mario Kart 64:

Wario Stadium

Mario Kart Super Circuit:

Riverside Park
Boo Lake
Snow Land
Yoshi Desert
Lakeside Park
Broken Pier
Bowser Castle 4
Rainbow Road

Mario Kart Double Dash:

Mushroom City
Wario Colosseum
Bowser’s Castle
Rainbow Road

Mario Kart DS:

Figure-8 Circuit
Mario Circuit
Bowser Castle
Rainbow Road

Mario Kart Wii:

Luigi Circuit
Toad’s Factory
Mario Circuit
Daisy Circuit
Dry Dry Ruins
Moonview Highway
Bowser’s Castle
Rainbow Road

Mario Kart 7:

Wuhu Loop
Maka Wuhu

Yeah this helps highlight it. A few of these courses may surprise us like Shroom Ridge and sneak in, but most of these tracks aren't getting added to the DLC since the focus will be on recycling all of Tour's brand new tracks along with retro tracks that were in Tour like Choco Mountain or Sky Garden.

What I think the designers should do is focus on the initial 16 retro tracks for the next game having as little overlap with Tour and MK8D as possible. A track like SNES Rainbow Road for example has been playable in the 3 latest Mario Karts now, being MK7, MK8, and Tour and I hope they avoid using those types of tracks yet again to give us a refresh. Basically pick from the above list of unused tracks, add some of 8's originals to be remade, and also go back to some retro tracks that were last used in MKDS and MK Wii's retro cups since we haven't seen those in ages either.

Adding on to my last thoughts of the future of retro tracks after this pass ends...

If I had to break it down how I'd prefer they distribute the typical 16 retro tracks for a next gen Mario Kart, I'd probably do this based entirely on what would feel "new" to players of MK8/Tour.

1 SNES
2 N64
2 GCN
2 GBA
2 DS
3 Wii
1 3DS
2 Wii U
1 Tour

Ideally 3DS and Tour tracks would be avoided since they'll have all been remade in "this generation" of Mario Kart by the end of this pass (Wuhu tracks are all that's left and I see them going to Tour eventually), but I imagine each game will get at least 1 obligatory track at worst to honor the series' long history.

Adding on to my last thoughts of the future of retro tracks after this pass ends...

If I had to break it down how I'd prefer they distribute the typical 16 retro tracks for a next gen Mario Kart, I'd probably do this based entirely on what would feel "new" to players of MK8/Tour.

1 SNES
2 N64
2 GCN
2 GBA
2 DS
3 Wii
1 3DS
2 Wii U
1 Tour

Ideally 3DS and Tour tracks would be avoided since they'll have all been remade in "this generation" of Mario Kart by the end of this pass (Wuhu tracks are all that's left and I see them going to Tour eventually), but I imagine each game will get at least 1 obligatory track at worst to honor the series' long history.

I think Nintendo will go for 48 tracks instead of 32 this time.

The more I theory craft about what retro tracks could be in the future of Mario Kart, the more I realize that the developers have absolutely decimated the Flower Cup selection. lol

Like Flower Cup is the hardest for me to come up with given a lot of highlights have been used already. I find myself pushing harder Mushroom tracks or easier Star tracks into it in my own speculation lists. The other 3 cups have a huge variety to pick from in comparison it feels like.

I think Nintendo will go for 48 tracks instead of 32 this time.

Yeah I hope so too. 48 at launch would be spectacular.

I do wonder with having increasingly more time, we’ll see more ambitious changes/visual improvements as these roll out.

I’m not one of the complainers, but I guess I’m curious if Nintendo is seeing the complaints and cares

The more I theory craft about what retro tracks could be in the future of Mario Kart, the more I realize that the developers have absolutely decimated the Flower Cup selection. lol

Like Flower Cup is the hardest for me to come up with given a lot of highlights have been used already. I find myself pushing harder Mushroom tracks or easier Star tracks into it in my own speculation lists. The other 3 cups have a huge variety to pick from in comparison it feels like.
The Flower Cup is full of great, memorable tracks. I was looking at the lists when trying to see what courses might come to the Booster Course Pass, and man, we got a lot of classics there. Of course, Nintendo has shifted around the order of tracks in the past before, lots of examples in 8 alone, so they could do it. Have some harder Mushrooms to start and easier Stars to end. Even do a wacky one and have an easier Special end off Flower, like they did with 3DS DK Jungle.
I do wonder with having increasingly more time, we’ll see more ambitious changes/visual improvements as these roll out.

I’m not one of the complainers, but I guess I’m curious if Nintendo is seeing the complaints and cares
Honestly? My gut feeling is no, we'll get stuff on par with the current stages and that's about it. Fine stuff, but not in the art style of base MK8.

1 SNES
2 N64
2 GCN
2 GBA
2 DS
3 Wii
1 3DS
2 Wii U
1 Tour

While many of 7’s tracks will make the jump to Tour and 8 by the end of 2023, I wouldn’t really say any of them were “remade” outside of the ones in base MK8 + Neo Bowser City (unless we see anti grav in future courses) so I think it’d be unfair to disqualify them on that basis. Nor do I think they should discount courses used in the BCP for the next MK game. What courses would be left in that case?

May as well go through my thoughts on the DLC courses, since I've spent the last few days playing through both those and the base courses:

Tour Paris Promenade - Aesthetically, this is a great course that really sells the Paris schtick with a strong visual identity. As far as playing on it, it's a relatively basic layout, and while the route change is neat, there's nothing much that stands out here. The course feels like it's been scaled up, and compared to the base game, the curves are all wide and the straightaways are all long. Would probably be a Shell Cup-level course if it wasn't DLC.

3DS Toad Circuit - It's a little unfair to pick on the whole Pass because of how bad the off-road textures on this one look, but it's hard to deny how crummy they are. Like, the original 3DS textures might look better. Not much to celebrate with this one, though I guess being simpler than Mario Kart Stadium makes it good for teaching remedial Mario Kart to newcomers. Feels like it's only here to make Paris Promenade look better by comparison.

N64 Choco Mountain - Decent enough remake of a very plain N64 track. The extension of the cave section is neat, the addition of a mushroom corner cut at the end is fun, and I appreciate the reuse of Bowser Castle's impacted ground to indicate where the boulders fall. Not a track I have a ton of nostalgia for, but it does what it sets out to do well enough.

Wii Coconut Mall - Yeah, the nerf to the cars is a bummer, but aside from that it's still Coconut Mall. I like the visual changes to make the colors more saturated, and while I can see where the complaints come from, it does help it fit in MK8DX a little better. I do think the use of Toad's Factory-esque conveyors belts for the elevators is a little suspicious, and it's a weird choice if they're not going to be reused for Toad's Factory.

Tour Tokyo Blur - It's a little more interesting in terms of layout than Paris Promenade, I guess, but aesthetically it just doesn't compare. As with Paris Promenade, it feels like it was scaled up too much, though maybe not to the same extent. Another course that would feel at home in either the Shell Cup or the Banana Cup if it showed up in a base game.

DS Shroom Ridge - Best traffic course currently in the game and it's not even close. Since it's a DS course, it's a little light on actual traffic, but the tight turns and narrow roadway help compensate for that. I'm hoping more traffic courses show up down the line, particularly Wii's Moonview Highway, so that this one has some competition for its crown.

GBA Sky Garden - It's fine. Compared to the other 2D courses remade for 8DX, there's not much draw to it - GBA Mario Circuit and SNES Donut Plains 3 give the player a lot of freedom in how they're tackled, to the point where the road is more of a suggestion than anything, while Cheese Land and Ribbon Road are completely reimagined with new elements, whereas SNES Rainbow Road retains its old school layout. This course doesn't do any of that, so it's just kind of here.

Tour Ninja Hideaway - Definitely the highlight of this wave. I still haven't really figured this one out, there's a ton of depth to it and a lot of unique aspects to how it works. It's a visual stunner, and unlike the Paris and Tokyo tracks, there's plenty of difficult turns and curves. Really, nothing in the rest of the game compares at all to this one.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom