• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

StarTopic Mario Kart 8 Deluxe – Booster Course Pass |ST| Doubled Dash!! [WAVE 6 AVAILABLE NOW]

What is your favorite course in Wave 6?

• Rome Avanti

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • DK Mountain

Votes: 7 14.6%
  • Daisy Circuit

Votes: 1 2.1%
  • Piranha Plant Cove

Votes: 3 6.3%
  • Madrid Drive

Votes: 1 2.1%
  • Rosalina's Ice World

Votes: 7 14.6%
  • SNES Bowser Castle 3

Votes: 11 22.9%
  • Wii Rainbow Road

Votes: 18 37.5%

• Total voters
So whenever Mario Kart 11 does release next decade, will they label returning tracks from MK8 as coming from WiiU, or will they just label them as Switch and pretend the WiiU didn't exist? 🤔

There will never be any Mario kart 11. You'll only get Mario kart 8 deluxe deluxe from now on.

I want both:

Mario Kart Ultimate (all tracks and characters returning, except where it would be redundant e.g. not every Bowser's Castle variant from Super Circuit)

Mario Kart All-Stars (cups and tracks and a roster based on different Mario series games to change the course design and emphasis)

While discussion regarding the DLC's visual differences to the main game is valid, there are signs here of lazy dev rhetoric. Please take this notice as a reminder that we discourage this line of argument. - blondkayvon, Donnie, Harina
That level of cutting corner is disheatening, especially when they finally settled on re doing dlc, 20 000 years later.
That makes such an incoherent package with not matching the graphic quality of a wiiu game and reusing assets all over these new cups.
I was already miffed by those twice driver sized bushes and yellow flowers but when I saw they're in every tracks even the sky garden... yeah not in a hurry to buy this.

Today I went and beat all the staff ghosts for the Wave 1 tracks, both 150cc and 200cc. Think i've got a good enough feel for these eight tracks at this point, so i'll share my brief thoughts on each:

Tour Paris Promenade - One of the less interesting city tracks in Tour, but it's really gotten a great upgrade here; in visuals, music and layout. The first two laps are a combination of PP1 and PP3, while the final lap follows PP2, which makes the track a lot more interesting than each indiviudal route was originally.

3DS Toad Circuit - By far the worst of the first wave; visually, but also just the track itself. Just an incredibly standard circuit track that goes by quick, especially in 200cc. There are better circuit tracks out there, there are better 3DS tracks they could've picked (3DS Mario Circuit is both). At least the music arrangement is great (though again, we could've gotten the same song with 3DS MC).

N64 Choco Mountain - I enjoyed Tour's additions to the track, and they've carried over faithfully here. Like this one a lot, especially the incredible arrangement; though I was never a huge fan of the original so the changes are all for the better to me, lol.

Wii Coconut Mall - Still great. Mixed on the changes to the track though; stuff like the parking lot cars being stationary, the escalators and the removal of a few other aestetic features just feel uneccessary; but they aren't enough to bring down the

Tour Tokyo Blur - This track came out of nowhere for me. From one of the more mediocre city tracks in Tour (both layouts and music) to one of the standouts of the first wave in both regards. This is one track that this interesting city course structure is working miracles for. Makes me even more excited to see how others like Vancouver, Los Angeles and Sydney are adapted.

DS Shroom Ridge - Always wanted to see this one come back, and I got my wish. It's as good as it was in DS, which some smart additional shortcuts which add a lot to the track. Music arrangement is fine too. Just an all-around solid track, made better thanks to 8DX's mechanics.

GBA Sky Garden - I already got through my initial letdown with this track thanks to Tour. A bit more interesting than Toad Circuit, really nice to look at visually, but the shortened and simplified track is still disapointing. At least the music track didn't let me down; what an upgrade over Tour's rendition!

Tour Ninja Hideaway - I always said this'd become a new fan favourite once it hits a console Mario Kart, even before the reveal of the DLC, and i'm glad to be proven right so soon. This course is great, one of the best in series history; so many alternate routes that feel different from a standard Mario Kart track due to the verticality of the upper path. The music arrangement is honestly the biggest letdown here; isn't too different from the original; but if that's my biggest complaint then there really isn't much to complain about on this one.

That's all of them! In all, I think Wave 1 was a fairly solid start for the Booster Course Pass; a few misses but mostly hits. Can't wait to see which tracks end up in Wave 2!

Speaking of, I should say a little more about these tweets I posted on the previous page:

We can now determine that the datamined prefixes for most of the upcoming tracks are not garbage data, but very likely intentionally added. This also shows further proof of Ninja Hideaway lacking the Tour branding in-game being a mistake, as it seems they could've accidentially left the console ID field as the default string. Also proves it should be a very quick fix for the devs, for whenever the next update happens.

That level of cutting corner is disheatening, especially when they finally settled on re doing dlc, 20 000 years later.
That makes such an incoherent package with not matching the graphic quality of a wiiu game and reusing assets all over these new cups.
I was already miffed by those twice driver sized bushes and yellow flowers but when I saw they're in every tracks even the sky garden... yeah not in a hurry to buy this.

You'd think the drive by shitposts would have stopped already, but here we are.

Bloopers are a much more deadly item than anything else at 200cc. I wish there were a way to avoid them like with blue shells. Blooper repellent or something. Maybe a raincoat or umbrella as an item? Idk

But they always end up ruining near perfect runs for me.

You can use mushroom, pass in a booster pad, use piranha plant item and super horn.

You can use mushroom, pass in a booster pad, use piranha plant item and super horn.
Super horn too? I didn't know that worked too, neat.

On another note, I wish they would update the new cup trophies. The original 8 look so nice, in contrast to the new ones which are just standard ones.

Might legitimately buy MK8, finally, lol. I was hopelessly addicted on Wii U but decided to kick it when it was ported to Switch. These new courses are getting to me!

Going through Mirror Mode for the first time since 2014, and it's striking how much is going on visually and mechanically thanks to anti-grav, even in the Flower Cup. There's hardly any empty sky box space in courses like Mario Circuit and Shy Guy Falls, because of the way the courses twist and turn on one another, which means you frequently glimpse happenings elsewhere in the race. That can't happen as often on classic style courses.

It's not something I expect the DLC to really address, but one reason I think the city circuits and Ninja Hideaway work especially is because, visually, there's a bit more of that happening. Ninja Hideaway's verticality and multiple routes means there's often a lot going on around you, which is lacking in other tracks.

I don't really expect to see anti-grav have much of a presence in the DLC, but unless the next Mario Kart is a major shift in direction, I'd expect it to come back. It makes the course design so much more interesting on a visual and mechanical level.

We can now determine that the datamined prefixes for most of the upcoming tracks are not garbage data, but very likely intentionally added. This also shows further proof of Ninja Hideaway lacking the Tour branding in-game being a mistake, as it seems they could've accidentially left the console ID field as the default string. Also proves it should be a very quick fix for the devs, for whenever the next update happens.
I wouldn’t be surprised by that at all. I do wonder if they’ll do any additional graphical tweaks to the new courses as time goes on but I’m really not expecting it.

Do the base game non-retro courses also use FFFFFFFF for the console ID field? I didn’t see that info in any of the tweets there. Because if that’s the case, I wouldn’t say we can really take that as any sort of proof that it’s a mistake. If the base game non-retro courses use a different ID, though, like 00000000 or something like that, then yeah, I’d say it’s definitely likely a mistake in that case.

I love Toad Circuit, I don't understand why it seems to be so disliked. It's a simple course but these lend themselves to an important part of the Mario Kart experience too, it's straightforward and easy to play, like the countless Mario Circuits we've had over the years.

It's also quite pretty? Graphics aren't high fidelity nor looking for being realistic, but they have a nice visual identity and it's pleasant to look at. Plus, the new mix of the theme song is A++, one of the best songs in the game.

On the other hand, i kinda despise Sky Garden, which seems to be getting a lot of love. I don't understand what they were trying to do with the course, it doesn't work as a new track because it's just so empty and featureless, I don't gets what its concept is supposed to be, but it also doesn't work as a remake because eit doesn't resemble the original course like, at all. They couldn't bother to remake the ground texture from the GBA track and went with a recolor of another asset that doesn't fit here at all. The course is also very ugly and incoherent, it looks like a fan trying to make a MK track.

I love Toad Circuit, I don't understand why it seems to be so disliked. It's a simple course but these lend themselves to an important part of the Mario Kart experience too, it's straightforward and easy to play, like the countless Mario Circuits we've had over the years.

It's also quite pretty? Graphics aren't high fidelity nor looking for being realistic, but they have a nice visual identity and it's pleasant to look at. Plus, the new mix of the theme song is A++, one of the best songs in the game.
Same here! While it certainly wouldn’t be my top choice for a 3DS course, Toad Circuit is probably my favorite opening course in any Mario Kart game, aside from Mario Kart Stadium—which is already in the game, of course, lol. Plus I guess I also just have a lot of fondness for it because I played on that course with others all the time at StreetPass meet ups and such.

i think this is where you're going against the grain. you are of course allowed to feel that way about the course, but frankly the muted palette and otherwise featureless terrain do nothing for me.

it kinda sets itself up for failure by being the second track in the cup, preceded by the very impressive paris promenade with its unique architecture, vibrant color palette and unique third lap gimmick. after that very good first impression, it's not hard to see why people would be less impressed by what looks and feels simpler in comparison

i don't even dislike it really, but it's about as bog standard a course as you can get in a game which already had plenty of standard tracks before

Coconut Mall is much better than both of them though. And that's not nostalgia talking, this is my first time playing it.
Strong disagree there, but we are probably looking at them with different lenses. What I love so much about those tracks is how much of a lived-in space they feel like. They’re one of the rare moments that we get a hyper-detailed look at “everyday” areas in the mushroom kingdom, something the series was gravely lacking for a while at time of release (and until Odyssey would finally come around). Coconut Mall is no doubt a good track, but the remake of it failed to reimagine it in the way retro courses deserve and instead went for more of an abstraction of the idea.

i think this is where you're going against the grain. you are of course allowed to feel that way about the course, but frankly the muted palette and otherwise featureless terrain do nothing for me.

it kinda sets itself up for failure by being the second track in the cup, preceded by the very impressive paris promenade with its unique architecture, vibrant color palette and unique third lap gimmick. after that very good first impression, it's not hard to see why people would be less impressed by what looks and feels simpler in comparison

i don't even dislike it really, but it's about as bog standard a course as you can get in a game which already had plenty of standard tracks before

I know it's super simple and I agree it may look a bit jarring coming from Paris Promenade which is probably the most detailed course in this package, but if you take Toad Circuit on its own, I think it looks good. It's cohesive and the direction is nice and compensates for the simplicity.

Meanwhile Sky Garden is completely incoherent, you have a high resolution detailed texture on the ground and the rest of the graphics are extremely simple, the sky is a blue gradient, the vines have almost no texture at all and the cloud geometry is very simple. I think it would work if that ground texture didn't look so clashing with the rest, and it should probably be a different color too as I think that orange has no place there and the color palette of the course is screwed.

So whenever Mario Kart 11 does release next decade, will they label returning tracks from MK8 as coming from WiiU, or will they just label them as Switch and pretend the WiiU didn't exist? 🤔
Trick question - Booster Pass is MK’s “everyone is here“ moment and moving forward retro tracks won’t be handled the same way!

Do the base game non-retro courses also use FFFFFFFF for the console ID field? I didn’t see that info in any of the tweets there. Because if that’s the case, I wouldn’t say we can really take that as any sort of proof that it’s a mistake. If the base game non-retro courses use a different ID, though, like 00000000 or something like that, then yeah, I’d say it’s definitely likely a mistake in that case.
It doesn’t definitively prove it, but FFFFFFFF is the default string for those fields, so while not definitive it does make it more likely that someone just forgot to change that field along the way.

Again though, we’ll just have to wait and see what they do when the game gets updated next. They have a few other things to fix, like the cup end screen previews of the DLC tracks showing their earlier iterations from the initial reveal (also noticeably affects Coconut Mall).

QTbHmqk.jpg

Last edited:
Meanwhile Sky Garden is completely incoherent, you have a high resolution detailed texture on the ground and the rest of the graphics are extremely simple, the sky is a blue gradient, the vines have almost no texture at all and the cloud geometry is very simple. I think it would work if that ground texture didn't look so clashing with the rest, and it should probably be a different color too as I think that orange has no place there and the color palette of the course is screwed.
at least for me, i can't say i noticed any of that on first glance and just zooming through it on time trials i also can't say i particularly agree. it's a more vibrant stage and even with simpler geometry there's neat effects like the ripples on the clouds.

plus i just think the orange brick looks good. it's like a terra cotta path which makes enough sense for a place calling itself a garden

Last edited:
It doesn’t definitively prove it, but FFFFFFFF is the default string for those fields, so while not definitive it does make it more likely that someone just forgot to change that field along the way.

Again though, we’ll just have to wait and see what they do when the game gets updated next. They have a few other things to fix, like the cup end screen previews of the DLC tracks showing their earlier iterations from the initial reveal (also noticeably affects Coconut Mall).

QTbHmqk.jpg
Yeah, that’s basically what I was saying; if the non-retro base game courses do use FFFFFFFF for the course ID then that doesn’t really tell us much, since it’d still be impossible to tell whether it’s a case of it being intentional as with the base game courses or just forgetting to change the field from the default string, but if those base game courses use a different value for having no past game prefix, then that makes the Ninja Hideaway thing much more likely to be an error.

Wasn’t aware of the cup end screen preview thing, though! But at the same time it doesn’t surprise me, considering they’re still using those same old screenshots on the eShop and official website and all, too. =P If they’re not even bothering to fix them on the website where they’re advertising the DLC, I’m not sure they’ll bother with updating those screenshots in game, either, especially since they’re just out of focus background images. (Not to say I wouldn’t want them to fix them, of course, lol.)

QTbHmqk.jpg
dang nintendo, i had to change my picture of coconut mall for my graphics and you wont even do it for your own video game, smh my head

Last edited:
This is pretty rude.
Sorry about that. I'm just honestly pretty pissed at how entitled and close to the lazy devs rhetoric that kinda take comes off as.

The DLC is close to 0.50 $/€ per track. I don't think grabbing existing assets and giving them a new coat of paint is unreasonable for the cost/value ratio, especially after learning that yes, they have redone textures and music and actually put forward an effort here.

So that kinda take? Yeah, feels like a drive by shitpost at this point.

Probably Wii U If I had to guess, which means the name "Switch" will never be in a Mario Kart game lmao
Depends on if they want to bury the Wii U the same way they did the Virtual Boy.

The simpler thing would be to use the game’s title rather than the system going to forward (we’re already close to that with “Tour” instead of “Mobile” for the tracks that originated in Tour). And hopefully with higher resolution they’ll have enough screen real estate to do that.

I have posted my thoughts on previous threads, but I definitely felt these tracks were quite low in quality compared to the main 48, lets hope with the new waves of tracks, they make slight revisions to the old waves.

The only problem is that I dont see incentive for Nintendo doing that...

I'm actually pleasantly surprised of how good the tracks look considering the price of the package and the amount of stuff we're getting; I'd be perfectly okay with straight flat Tour ports, but they went beyond that (on top of recording new music); So I say it's even a better deal than I originally realized.

Probably Wii U If I had to guess, which means the name "Switch" will never be in a Mario Kart game lmao
Not necessarily; if any of the new battle courses in MK8D like Urchin Underpass come back, they should technically be labeled “Switch” since they originate from 8 Deluxe.

Also, if Ninja Hideaway not being labeled with “Tour” in game is intentional and not just an error, and we end up getting some other new non-city courses that will debut in MK8D first before they’re even added to Tour (which I think may happen), then I half expect any of the new non-city courses to be labeled separately from the Tour city courses in future games, too. Maybe “BCP” or “Booster”? I dunno, lol.

The DLC is close to 0.50 $/€ per track. I don't think grabbing existing assets and giving them a new coat of paint is unreasonable for the cost/value ratio, especially after learning that yes, they have redone textures and music and actually put forward an effort here.
This does beg the question, would people have bought an extra 48 tracks at the level of the OG MK8DX tracks for another 40-60 bucks? I mean, I would have. But I can totally understand Nintendo putting the effort required for that into simply making the next mainline MK.

At the very least, 50 cents per track is a crazy good deal imo.

Finally gave the DLC a whirl tonight. New courses are pretty fun and was able to 3 star gold 150cc clear the Lucky Cat Cup but had to settle for just a standard gold clear on 150cc for Golden Dash cup.

Ninja Hideaway by far is by and large the standout of the selection. I also forgot how much I missed Shroom Ridge and Toad Circuit. Yeah I'm weird.

I also ran head first into the first parked car in Coconut Mall as one does. groan At least with the static placement it's much harder to get absolutely screwed by the cars moving at random times as happened more often than not in my experience.

But seriously, yes the courses are basic and they don't have anti-grav. I'm ok with this. It's honestly great to have some more beginner friendly course options although I didn't realize until I sat down with this that the new cups are in the first and second columns instead of being in the first column like the OG DLC.

Speaking of which.... discovered I never got further than gold on 100cc with the OG DLC tracks so I guess I'll be revisiting those cups this week before Karby arrives.

Oh, and the graphics are fine. The music is great but I don't really remember any of the old renditions aside from Coconut Mall.

This does beg the question, would people have bought an extra 48 tracks at the level of the OG MK8DX tracks for another 40-60 bucks? I mean, I would have. But I can totally understand Nintendo putting the effort required for that into simply making the next mainline MK.

At the very least, 50 cents per track is a crazy good deal imo.
They charged 12 bucks for 4 cups back on the Wii U, or 8 for 2 cups. And those came with characters and Kart parts, too. 40 for 12 cups isn't unreasonable if they were at the level of the previous DLC.

Did they say what time zone the DLC courses would be unlocked for online? Because if it's the 22nd in an American timezone that likely means the 23rd for me.

They charged 12 bucks for 4 cups back on the Wii U, or 8 for 2 cups. And those came with characters and Kart parts, too. 40 for 12 cups isn't unreasonable if they were at the level of the previous DLC.
I see. Nice to know (I didn’t have a Wii U) and I would definitely have paid the same.

Anyway, I sort of wonder, does the Random option in VS race actually keep track of how often you’ve played on a course and adjust accordingly to “equalize” the play frequency of the courses? I’ve done VS race several times on Random now (4, 8, 16 and 48 courses) and the DLC courses always pop up, even in the 4-course runs.

I see. Nice to know (I didn’t have a Wii U) and I would definitely have paid the same.

Anyway, I sort of wonder, does the Random option in VS race actually keep track of how often you’ve played on a course and adjust accordingly to “equalize” the play frequency of the courses? I’ve done VS race several times on Random now (4, 8, 16 and 48 courses) and the DLC courses always pop up, even in the 4-course runs.
random courses in vs. races will prevent you from seeing the same course multiple times per session, but doesn't have any mechanic to influence future sessions

you could theoretically just keep getting the same 4 courses if you were to run a bunch of different 4 races vs. sessions, however unlikely that is

Has anyone else noticed the normal AI is worse than it was? I played more than 250 hours of Mario Kart 8 the last two years and never had it where I frequently lap whoever is in last place. Hard AI feels the same as it was. Weird.

Has anyone else noticed the normal AI is worse than it was? I played more than 250 hours of Mario Kart 8 the last two years and never had it where I frequently lap whoever is in last place. Hard AI feels the same as it was. Weird.

That last thing can be due to the new dlc tracks being generarely shorter than the basegame tracks (by like 10 seconds per lap in some instances)

Having a blast with the dlc! Played it with my gf multiple times and dang loving it. For 50 cents a track its a steal. Ninja Hideaway is amazing and it took me ages to realise it's a wario course! And after 20 years i finally realise warios nose looks like a garlic itself lol 💀

That last thing can be due to the new dlc tracks being generarely shorter than the basegame tracks (by like 10 seconds per lap in some instances)
It does happen more frequently on the DLC tracks so that does make more sense then.

I've always been able to lap normal CPUs in 200cc on certain tracks; always very fun. A lot of the DLC tracks are fairly short which definitely helps.

I've always been able to lap normal CPUs in 200cc on certain tracks; always very fun. A lot of the DLC tracks are fairly short which definitely helps.
Yeah 200cc is certainly possible, the AI isn’t equipped to handle that speed. I was doing it on 150cc which felt really weird.

Just as a look into how far ahead content is being produced for Tour; Sunset Wilds was being worked on before the game had even launched, yet it took over a year for it to be introduced in-game, in November 2020.

An even better example; 3DS Bowser’s Castle had assets datamined around early 2020 and was finally added to the game during the New Years 2022 Tour. Not to mention badges available to players in-game teasing the Amsterdam course and playable Luma, neither being released yet.

That’s how stuff like Waluigi Stadium and Koopa Cape can be present on the banner despite not being released in Tour itself; they’ve been completed and sat on. So anything datamined for Tour, regardless of how far away it may seem from release, will have a fairly good shot at making it into 8DX by the end of 2023.

Did they say what time zone the DLC courses would be unlocked for online? Because if it's the 22nd in an American timezone that likely means the 23rd for me.

It's the 21st in America (source), 22nd in Europe (and further east, of course). So maybe 11 hours from now.

I have very little (but not zero) interest in looking at datamine stuff, but I'm gonna say this: if this DLC batch doesn't have Waluigi Pinball somewhere in it I'm not going to be very happy.

This is quite an odd video lol. The author has a great technical understanding, but totally misses the boat in applying it to Nintendo's decision making. A switch to more "realistic" graphics is more than just a drag and drop of a single grass texture.

Plus, as @MondoMega already explained above, release order of tracks means nothing.

I still think that races with a full group of human drivers are the Achilles' heel of this game. The stop and go nature of these races, the constant interruptions are killing the flow of the races. At times, it’s just to much for me. That’s the one thing that would made the game immediately more enjoyable for me and because of that, I love the late hours here in Europe, when you get a good chance for smaller groups. Six people are more than enough in my eyes.
I think a temp invincibility state after being hit would improve the game immensely in terms of local / online mp. Getting hit by a red shell, then a red shell then a blue shell isn't fun or balanced imo.

Also is it the main Mario Kart team who make the mobile game and this content or is it farmed out? If so you have to wonder what the main team has been doing for almost 5 whole years. I'd take an ARMS 2 to tide me over until MK9/10.

Yeah the tracks aren't as great as standard Mario Kart stuff, but as someone who didn't play Tour, I was surprised and happy to see "transforming" tracks so to speak where each lap is different.

And Ninja Hideaway is incredible and I swear everytime I play it I find something new. It's gonna be mad fun trying to figure out best Time Trial route on 200cc when I get to it

Why are the Tour tracks all so wide? The item boxes are in rows of at least six and up to eight, and the tracks feel overly long with uninteresting turns. Ninja Hideaway has some tight turns that make up for the rest of the track, but Paris Promenade and Tokyo Blur need to be scaled down by like 10-20%.

Back
Top Bottom