• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

StarTopic Mario Kart 8 Deluxe – Booster Course Pass |ST| Doubled Dash!! [WAVE 6 AVAILABLE NOW]

What is your favorite course in Wave 6?

• Rome Avanti

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • DK Mountain

Votes: 7 14.6%
  • Daisy Circuit

Votes: 1 2.1%
  • Piranha Plant Cove

Votes: 3 6.3%
  • Madrid Drive

Votes: 1 2.1%
  • Rosalina's Ice World

Votes: 7 14.6%
  • SNES Bowser Castle 3

Votes: 11 22.9%
  • Wii Rainbow Road

Votes: 18 37.5%

• Total voters
Please please have costumes in the next Mario Kart, it makes so much sense and if they don't want unlockable characters anymore, make the costumes the new fun unlockable.

EOq0QCXWAAIeFJ9.jpg:large

I agree with what many people are saying that the next Mario kart is gonna be half Mario kart, half Nintendo kart. I still don’t know how they can surpass the 96 tracks from 8 deluxe. Maybe 50 tracks could suffice, but that would be A LOT of effort

I believe it'll just start out with 32 courses, half of them perhaps being crossover courses. I'd prefer that over half being retro courses. There's a lot of retro content in MK8D anyway.

And then courses will be added over the years and that will build up. It's going to be another MK that's gonna last quite a couple of years before the next one.

I'll never understand the argument that a successor needs to match the same exact amount of content at launch compared to its predecessors after years of DLC from the wii u and switch combined.

I'd rather the development focus be on novel gameplay ideas which shakes up the formula with 32 tracks or something, if the focus is on crossover content that'd be utterly boring tbh.

I'll never understand the argument that a successor needs to match the same exact amount of content at launch compared to its predecessors after years of DLC from the wii u and switch combined.

I'd rather the development focus be on novel gameplay ideas which shakes up the formula with 32 tracks or something, if the focus is on crossover content that'd be utterly boring tbh.

They could go nuts with crossover courses, why would that be boring?

make the costumes the new fun unlockable.
I support this idea because I need witch outfit Rosalina in my life.

Here’s a question. Which would you prefer for the next Mario Kart: 16 tracks only but all are completely new, or 32 tracks with 4-8 new with the rest being retro stuff?

I support this idea because I need witch outfit Rosalina in my life.

Here’s a question. Which would you prefer for the next Mario Kart: 16 tracks only but all are completely new, or 32 tracks with 4-8 new with the rest being retro stuff?
There's no world in which Mario Kart goes back to having only 16 tracks. They've had 32 at launch since 2005 with Mario Kart DS.

Okay, 32 completely new tracks or 64 with 16 new tracks and the rest being retro stuff?

I think 48 is going to be the new baseline after 8 Deluxe. 32 is going to feel awfully limited in practice even if it were all new tracks.
I'm not sure I agree with 48 being the new baseline, that's a lot of tracks for a brand new engine. The only way I see that happening is if they really do frame the game as "Mario Kart All Stars" and so something like 12 new MK tracks, 12 retro, 12 Nintendo tracks with 8 being new and 4 returning from MK8D. Would put the base roster at 36 tracks.

we couldn't even get a proper battle mode in the original MK8 release and you're all thinking that 32 new tracks is not only feasible, but the bare minimum they should be doing?

we couldn't even get a proper battle mode in the original MK8 release and you're all thinking that 32 new tracks is not only feasible, but the bare minimum they should be doing?
MK8 was rushed to market so that the WiiU would go from being

DEAD

To

DEAD BUT WITH MARIO KART

I can't imagine MK Switch 2 will have the same "oh shit our console is failing get MK asap" problem.

MK8 was rushed to market so that the WiiU would go from being

DEAD

To

DEAD BUT WITH MARIO KART

I can't imagine MK Switch 2 will have the same "oh shit our console is failing get MK asap" problem.
sure but there's still reasonable limits to scope if you're hoping to see this thing in the next few years, and even with matured tools and practices it's not like it's gotten any cheaper to make these things

unless you're going to concede to a mario wonder style development timeline where there is no deadline and they get to just throw everything at the wall for the better part of the decade, there's a good reason the 16/16 split became the norm

sure but there's still reasonable limits to scope if you're hoping to see this thing in the next few years, and even with matured tools and practices it's not like it's gotten any cheaper to make these things

unless you're going to concede to a mario wonder style development timeline where there is no deadline and they get to just throw everything at the wall for the better part of the decade, there's a good reason the 16/16 split became the norm
I agree 16/16 is likely what we'll see again. My pushback was specifically about you saying "they couldn't finish battle mode and gave us something half assed". While I don't believe every Nintendo game is going to get the Wonder treatment of "no deadlines", I do expect the next Mario Kart won't be rushed to market like I on WiiU was. If the game needs more time to be content complete, I believe Nintendo will give the game the time it needs. If the WiiU hadn't been a catastrophic disaster I'm confident MK8 would have had a normal battle mode, or at least normal battle tracks to go along with the really questionable ghost mechanic.

The end of November seems to be the best timeframe for the wave, right ? With Mario Wonder in mid/late October, then Wario Ware and Mario RPG in early November to mid November.
Early December is a long time, it was the case last year, but wave 5 has been brought forward compared to wave 2.

The end of November seems to be the best timeframe for the wave, right ? With Mario Wonder in mid/late October, then Wario Ware and Mario RPG in early November to mid November.
Early December is a long time, it was the case last year, but wave 5 has been brought forward compared to wave 2.
I still think it'll be mid December. Gives the new Splatoon season and Mario RPG room to breathe. Plus, they advertised it as a Holiday release.

I still think it'll be mid December. Gives the new Splatoon season and Mario RPG room to breathe. Plus, they advertised it as a Holiday release.
I thought someone noticed a pattern of the spotlight videos culminating in the full wave announcements and then the short turnaround from there places it in October. If I was spreading Mario releases around, I’d place it strategically in December as well.

In retrospect it’s a lot easier to see the thought process that likely went into these picks:
  • Birdo, Diddy, Funky, Petey, Wiggler; those are all of veterans present in Tour that weren’t ported over from 8DX first. Paratroopa and Honey Queen seemingly ended up cut, R.O.B was never on the table; and SNES DK Jr. in Tour is an understandable edge case (treated like an alt for either DK himself or a regular DK Jr. that doesn’t exist).
  • Pauline and Peachette; the first two newcomers available in Tour day one. I don’t think the voice clips have any relevance to their inclusion given the other Tour newcomer choice, I just think it comes down to seniority. Peachette wasn’t the second newcomer in development (Nabbit is actually) but she has the special trait of being a possible starter character alongside Toad and Toadette.
  • Kamek; cut from 8 the first go around, and infamously cut from 64 over a decade prior. That sentimental value on top of his role in the movie is what I assume gave him the edge.
I suspect that Peachette and Funky weren't planned from the start (they only planned a column), but due to the great response to the announcement of character additions they were both added as bonuses, because they are both "easy" characters to include :
1. They're in Tour
2. Peachette can be based on Peach from MK8D and Funky on Donkey Kong from MK8D.

Last edited:
Do we have any idea when Wave 6 releases? Or at least when we will get the final trailer?
After Super Mario RPG. Considering that the week after that is Black Friday week, I'd expect that week to be off-limits as well. So November 29th is realistically the earliest we're looking at.

Do we have any idea when Wave 6 releases? Or at least when we will get the final trailer?
I kinda get the feeling they might wanna have less of a gap than the Wave 3 Direct announcement to release as there's no Christmas themed course this time.
Gut feeling that they might do a trailer sometime this month and have an early November release before SMRPG.

Nah, it was given a holiday release date in the last Direct. That week would be too early. Late November at the earliest.
Well tbf, Super Mario Odyssey's release window in the Switch presentation was Holiday 2017 and it released late October...

Nintendo was pretty explicit about Wave 6 coming after Mario RPG in their sizzle reel. Not impossible they change that, but it seems pretty definitive to me.

Nintendo was pretty explicit about Wave 6 coming after Mario RPG in their sizzle reel. Not impossible they change that, but it seems pretty definitive to me.

I don't think it's that complicated; it currently has a vague release window, so they placed it at the end of that window in the reel. Side Order is incredibly likely to launch before Princess Peach Showtime (at the start of Season 7) and yet it was placed afterwards too.

More fuel for this though; while NCL's spotlight posts are wrapping up tomorrow, NoA's rendition just started and the first is fairly direct about them being a countdown to Wave 6:

SJ2z1iI.png

The US posts cover two courses at a time rather than just one; and at one post a week we're looking at a schedule of:
  • October 4th - Athens Dash / Daisy Cruiser [We Are Here]
  • October 11th - Moonview Highway / Squeaky Clean Sprint
  • October 18th - Los Angeles Laps / Sunset Wilds
  • October 25th - Koopa Cape / Vancouver Velocity

Taking Nintendo's spring release schedule into account...
Week of September 22nd - Pikmin 1+2 (physical)
Week of September 29th - F-Zero 99 Queen League update
Week of October 6th - Detective Pikachu Returns
Week of October 13th - F-Zero 99 King League update [?]
Week of October 20th - Super Mario Bros. Wonder
Week of October 27th - Empty!
Week of November 3rd - WarioWare Move It [+ TotK Zelda & Ganondorf amiibo]
Week of November 10th - Empty!
Week of November 17th - Super Mario RPG [+ Deep Cut amiibo]
Week of November 24th - Empty!
Week of December 1st - Splatoon 3 Season 6 begins
the week of November 10th is the clearest spot for release after these spotlights wrap up. There's two options for the trailer from there, based on precedence:
  • Wave 2/4/5 style - The week before release. Seems to be the default schedule for these given there's been only one exception, but that exception is this year's equivalent to Wave 6, so it's worth considering.
  • Wave 3 style - Two weeks before release. In this case the trailer would happen to align exactly with the end of the US spotlights, perhaps even to the day, which is what happened with the Wave 3 and 4 spotlights.
Admittedly though, the Japanese posts wrapping up early does make me question how well things will line up now; but this was actually already the case for the Wave 2 spotlights (Sky High Sundae on October 28th; Wave 3 trailer a whole month later on November 22nd). The two waves afterwards were consistent, shorter gaps (3DS RR Febtuary 24th, Wave 4 trailer on March 3rd; Singapore on June 30th, Wave 5 trailer on July 7th; both a week later), so if we somehow got a trailer next week it would be a pleasant surprise, but for now i'm skeptical of that.

Wave 2 spotlights were an outlier for the US posts too though; Mushroom Gorge / Sky High Sundae on November 12th, Wave 3 trailer still two weeks away. With those Wave 3 timings Wave 6 could still have a November launch with neither the trailer drop or release overlapping with another release, the week before and week after Mario RPG respectively, which is a scenario I can't entirely rule out. Gut feeling tells me we definitely won't be waiting for December at least; but I lean toward early November for now.

Last edited:
I don't think it's that complicated; it currently has a vague release window, so they placed it at the end of that window in the reel. Side Order is incredibly likely to launch before Princess Peach Showtime (at the start of Season 7) and yet it was placed afterwards too.

More fuel for this though; while NCL's spotlight posts are wrapping up tomorrow, NoA's rendition just started and the first is fairly direct about them being a countdown to Wave 6:

SJ2z1iI.png

The US posts cover two courses at a time rather than just one; and at one post a week we're looking at a schedule of:

Taking Nintendo's spring release schedule into account...

the week of November 10th is the clearest spot for release after these spotlights wrap up. There's two options for the trailer from there, based on precedence:
  • Wave 2/4/5 style - The week before release. Seems to be the default schedule for these given there's been only one exception, but that exception is this year's equivalent to Wave 6, so it's worth considering.
  • Wave 3 style - Two weeks before release. In this case the trailer would happen to align exactly with the end of the US spotlights, perhaps even to the day, which is what happened with the Wave 3 and 4 spotlights.
Admittedly though, the Japanese posts wrapping up early does make me question how well things will line up now; but this was actually already the case for the Wave 2 spotlights (Sky High Sundae on October 28th; Wave 3 trailer a whole month later on November 22nd). The two waves afterwards were consistent, shorter gaps (3DS RR Febtuary 24th, Wave 4 trailer on March 3rd; Singapore on June 30th, Wave 5 trailer on July 7th; both a week later), so if we somehow got a trailer next week it would be a pleasant surprise, but for now i'm skeptical of that.

Wave 2 spotlights were an outlier for the US posts too though; Mushroom Gorge / Sky High Sundae on November 12th, Wave 3 trailer still two weeks away. With those Wave 3 timings Wave 6 could still have a November launch with neither the trailer drop or release overlapping with another release, the week before and week after Mario RPG respectively, which is a scenario I can't entirely rule out. Gut feeling tells me we definitely won't be waiting for December at least; but I lean toward early November for now.
Ah, didn’t realize the spotlights had started. Definitely changes things. Guess it depends on how quickly they get through the spotlights, they went faster for Wave 4 so maybe the 10/27 date isn’t entirely off the table.

I’m definitely leaning towards a two week trailer run up though, given that Wave 6 will seemingly release during a Mario-heavy release schedule. I guess a trailer the same week as WarioWare wouldn’t be a huge stretch.

Maybe it's been brought up before, but good God it's really funny to me how Luigi of all characters has 0 tracks dedicated to him in this game after almost a decade (not counting the Luigi's Mansion battle course, anyways).

Daisy's probably getting two of her three (I'd like Hills too if they're willing to slap that in), and even WALUIGI has both of his, but Luigi? Nah, dawg.
Since there are people here who probably follow course leaks more closely, maybe that's going to change with these last two cups, but I find it mad funny that this has gone on for this long.

Maybe it's been brought up before, but good God it's really funny to me how Luigi of all characters has 0 tracks dedicated to him in this game after almost a decade (not counting the Luigi's Mansion battle course, anyways).

Daisy's probably getting two of her three (I'd like Hills too if they're willing to slap that in), and even WALUIGI has both of his, but Luigi? Nah, dawg.
Since there are people here who probably follow course leaks more closely, maybe that's going to change with these last two cups, but I find it mad funny that this has gone on for this long.

Given the three options for Luigi courses that exist in Tour i'm not too surprised by that outcome. For N64 Luigi Raceway and GBA Luigi Circuit, 8DX already had circuit courses from those two games in the base lineup, and the Booster Course Pass ended up aiming to add a circuit track from every past game (SNES Mario Circuit 3, N64 Royal Raceway, GBA Mario Circuit, GCN Yoshi Circuit, DS Mario Circuit, Wii Daisy Circuit, 3DS Toad Circuit). DS Luigi's Mansion was on the table too and is decently popular, but popularity couldn't save Airship Fortress, the game technically had a Luigi's Mansion in the battle map, and it's a fairly basic Mushroom Cup track so all up I can see why they passed.

None of those three courses are coming next wave so Luigi will remain out of luck. DK is likely getting another of his tracks though, and Bowser is finally getting a retro BC in 8DX, just to rub it in more. If you want to fully catch yourself up on the datamining we pretty much know the remaining tracks already:
  • Tour Madrid Drive
  • Tour Rome Avanti
  • Piranha Plant Cove (will be branded as new in-game like the other non-city Tour tracks)
  • Piranha Plant Pipeline (same as the previous)
  • SNES Bowser's Castle 3 (could technically be a different SNES course but for various reasons it is very likely this one)
  • GCN DK Mountain or Dino Dino Jungle (we don't know which Double Dash jungle made it)
  • Wii Daisy Circuit
  • Wii Rainbow Road

i already have some predictions for mario kart 9/10

maybe I could write them in a big post or smth

Haven't checked in here in a while. Hope it's alright to ask as I'm not sure if I missed it in previous pages, but what's the track list for the last two courses? Not sure if it's meant to be spoiler-tagged or not, but honestly just curious because it sounds like it's all decided (and that with no Dino Dino Jungle or GC Rainbow Road, it seems like the DD representation is deader than the Wii U)

Haven't checked in here in a while. Hope it's alright to ask as I'm not sure if I missed it in previous pages, but what's the track list for the last two courses? Not sure if it's meant to be spoiler-tagged or not, but honestly just curious because it sounds like it's all decided (and that with no Dino Dino Jungle or GC Rainbow Road, it seems like the DD representation is deader than the Wii U)
Scroll up just a tad for MondoMega’s post. We basically know all of them.

Clearly the lack of Luigi courses means they're gearing up for another Year of Luigi, this time headlined by Mario Kart: Oops, All Weegees
Too bad they already missed it, ‘cause this year would have been it (the Mario Bros. 40th anniversary), lol.

Scroll up just a tad for MondoMega’s post. We basically know all of them.
🫡 I have impeccable eyes lmfao

Thank you for the tip! Shame that it's gonna be a toss up between DK Jungle and Dino Dino Jungle; I'd honestly rather both over say, SNES Bowser's Castle 3, but it don't matter much what I think compared to what Nintendo's chosen.

All I can hope for is that this means MK10 has a lot more Gamecube courses recreated with a full glow up for nuSwitch

🫡 I have impeccable eyes lmfao

Thank you for the tip! Shame that it's gonna be a toss up between DK Jungle and Dino Dino Jungle; I'd honestly rather both over say, SNES Bowser's Castle 3, but it don't matter much what I think compared to what Nintendo's chosen.

All I can hope for is that this means MK10 has a lot more Gamecube courses recreated with a full glow up for nuSwitch
I was rooting for Peach Beach to the bitter end myself. As someone who adores the Mario Kart Wii tracks I was feasting through this DLC, though I was hopeful for more balanced representation overall. Yeah hopefully we’ll get some major upgrades for Gamecube tracks next time. DS and 3DS needed more love too.

Hopefully the final DLC wave lands sooner than later because boy do I need my Funky Kong in Mario Kart fix here and now.

Didn’t Nintendo just celebrate the 35th anniversary in 2020?
That was for Super Mario Bros., not Mario Bros. The Year of Luigi started in 2013 and was celebrating Luigi’s debut in Mario Bros. in 1983.

Given the three options for Luigi courses that exist in Tour i'm not too surprised by that outcome. For N64 Luigi Raceway and GBA Luigi Circuit, 8DX already had circuit courses from those two games in the base lineup, and the Booster Course Pass ended up aiming to add a circuit track from every past game (SNES Mario Circuit 3, N64 Royal Raceway, GBA Mario Circuit, GCN Yoshi Circuit, DS Mario Circuit, Wii Daisy Circuit, 3DS Toad Circuit). DS Luigi's Mansion was on the table too and is decently popular, but popularity couldn't save Airship Fortress, the game technically had a Luigi's Mansion in the battle map, and it's a fairly basic Mushroom Cup track so all up I can see why they passed.

None of those three courses are coming next wave so Luigi will remain out of luck. DK is likely getting another of his tracks though, and Bowser is finally getting a retro BC in 8DX, just to rub it in more. If you want to fully catch yourself up on the datamining we pretty much know the remaining tracks already:
  • Tour Madrid Drive
  • Tour Rome Avanti
  • Piranha Plant Cove (will be branded as new in-game like the other non-city Tour tracks)
  • Piranha Plant Pipeline (same as the previous)
  • SNES Bowser's Castle 3 (could technically be a different SNES course but for various reasons it is very likely this one)
  • GCN DK Mountain or Dino Dino Jungle (we don't know which Double Dash jungle made it)
  • Wii Daisy Circuit
  • Wii Rainbow Road
Oh wow, so that's what we're likely getting, huh? I will say I'm definitely hoping for Dino Dino Jungle over DK Mountain, as I've always heavily preferred it of the two "shared assets/theme" tracks. I also wanna see that dino in HD. I like him. ;_;
Clearly the lack of Luigi courses means they're gearing up for another Year of Luigi, this time headlined by Mario Kart: Oops, All Weegees
Give me my Week of Waluigi first, please.

I'm betting on a trailer on November 7 for a November 23 release.
That would give Mario RPG (November 17) and especially Mario Wonder (October 20) enough room to breathe. Even Wario Ware (November 3) would be spared in this scenario.
But anything can happen now. I wouldn't be surprised if they stomped on the release of a game.

Last edited:
Was playing Mario Kart today and I don’t think in 650+ hours I’ve had it where I was robbed by a Boo and before he was even done a second Boo swooped in to steal my second item! Felt bad lol.

Back
Top Bottom