• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Mario Kart 8 Deluxe – Booster Course Pass |ST| Doubled Dash!! [WAVE 6 AVAILABLE NOW]

What is your favorite course in Wave 6?

• Rome Avanti

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • DK Mountain

Votes: 7 14.6%
  • Daisy Circuit

Votes: 1 2.1%
  • Piranha Plant Cove

Votes: 3 6.3%
  • Madrid Drive

Votes: 1 2.1%
  • Rosalina's Ice World

Votes: 7 14.6%
  • SNES Bowser Castle 3

Votes: 11 22.9%
  • Wii Rainbow Road

Votes: 18 37.5%

• Total voters
I went back and listened to the original Tour versions of Paris and Tokyo, and while goood they definitely sound way better in 8 Deluxe. Ninja Hideaway’s theme is pretty similar though.

Consoled myself with not being able to DLC by reading through the Mario Wiki entries on Wii through 8 and kinda bummed myself out realizing that I haven't "completed" a Mario Kart since Double Dash!! and DS :( There were unlocks in each of the later games I completely never saw and that was a great reminder of how much time I don't have for gaming these days (on top of there being too many games I want to play) and just how much more there is to do in these games.

All in all, it's pretty good. Right now the biggest limitation for these 8 tracks are that, Ninja Hideaway aside, there isn't a huge amount happening on each one. The other big problem they have is that, for me at least, Kart 8's track design set a high bar - a series high, imo - and Ninja Hideaway to one side, the tracks here are fine, pleasant, and in some cases, just a little on the simple side.

That being said, even the most simple Kart courses are great fun in multiplayer and I can't wait to see them in the online rotation. I'm also hoping we don't have to wait long for more and that Nintendo give us some more complex courses next time around.

Basically, this felt like the first 2 cups in a pretty good Mario Kart game, and the biggest issue with that for me is how high I felt 8 set the bar.
I'm wondering if the UI design for the course selection making the course pass appear as an alternate set of cups if that's a clue that these two cups are equivalent to Mushroom / Shell cup in terms of complexity. So things should ramp up in complexity through wave 4, with the final two waves being a grab bag like the original DLC.

Also, can I just say it's still wild that 8 got a 50% course roster boost while 8DX gets 100% with this pass. I'm still hoping for more characters and vehicles too.

Why isn't it the Ninji Hideout?
I was wondering the same thing last night

EDIT: Nintendo really wants this thing to sell a ton. I don't think I've heard of them putting out TV commercials before for DLC.

source: https://www.gematsu.com/2022/03/mario-kart-8-deluxe-booster-course-pass-wave-1-trailer

3 stared the two cups on 50 and 100cc. now onto the actual challenge. loved pretty much every course, and the remixes are awesome.

You may already know this but I thought it would be worth it to point out: If you play on 150cc you automatically clear 50 and 100 with the same amount of stars too.

BTW, I saw someone mention it, but what does 100%'ing MK8D mean? Is it simply getting 3 stars on all cups in 200cc? Or is there more?

Last edited:
I'm wondering if the UI design for the course selection making the course pass appear as an alternate set of cups if that's a clue that these two cups are equivalent to Mushroom / Shell cup in terms of complexity. So things should ramp up in complexity through wave 4, with the final two waves being a grab bag like the original DLC.
This would be great. I'm sure, over time, those more complex courses will be there, of course, but it'd be fun if there was a curve like this.
Also, can I just say it's still wild that 8 got a 50% course roster boost while 8DX gets 100% with this pass. I'm still hoping for more characters and vehicles too.
Very much agreed. The character roster in Tour is superb and even a little of that in 8DX would be very welcome.

Ok ok ok I woke up, put the garbage out, made my coffee and sat down with the new tracks and here are my DEFINITELY UNIQUE THOUGHTS

The tracks are fine to good. Nothing mind blowing. Maybe it's just me but the lack of those "small details" in the graphics took away some of the sense of speed I'm used to from MK8DX. I was playing on 150cc for the record. The tracks just felt like they moved slowly, like they're baby-mode tracks or something.

I don't think the tracks are bad, but I can definitely tell, for example, that the Tour tracks (that I've never seen or played before) were meant for a control method that lacked precision, because I found all the turns boringly wide and easy to take.

Coconut Mall is far and away the best track of the bunch. It feels like the track that had the most love and care put into it.

Anyway I'd give this batch of tracks like a 6.5/10 if I had to give it a numerical score. I hope future packs have a bit more going on and a bit more challenge.

Yeah, you took the words right out of my mouth right here.

OK so I looked it up: Coconut Mall and Shroom Ridge, the two tracks I thought were the best in this new batch, were made specifically FOR this DLC, where the rest are carry-overs from Tour.

So basically my opinion is this: If the tracks are reused from Tour, they're okay. If the tracks were made FOR this DLC: they're excellent.

OK so I looked it up: Coconut Mall and Shroom Ridge, the two tracks I thought were the best in this new batch, were made specifically FOR this DLC, where the rest are carry-overs from Tour.

So basically my opinion is this: If the tracks are reused from Tour, they're okay. If the tracks were made FOR this DLC: they're excellent.
I would like to add that Ninja Hideaway from Tour is absolutely amazing. IMO the best of the batch.

I would like to add that Ninja Hideaway from Tour is absolutely amazing. IMO the best of the batch.
Ninja Hideaway is the best from Tour in this batch, sure. But I STILL found the turns all way too wide and the track as a whole is frankly pretty easy.

The visuals/music is incredible tho. Makes me wonder why Tokyo and Paris feel so... plain?

Ninja Hideaway is the best from Tour in this batch, sure. But I STILL found the turns all way too wide and the track as a whole is frankly pretty easy.

The visuals/music is incredible tho. Makes me wonder why Tokyo and Paris feel so... plain?
I feel that because they are themed around a real life city, it limits the creativity. I do like the changing laps in both of them, at least it adds some flair. I haven't really played Tour, so im not sure how they stack against the other city themed ones.

Had fun getting 3 stars on 150 CC. Had to do the second cup over due to getting blue shelled towards the end of Ninja Hideaway of course.

Like others have said, most of the courses seem pretty simple and narrow. Pretty much enjoyed them all. Felt Paris was a little boring. I don't care for the updated Choco Mountain music, seems a little too peaceful for me. Would have preferred something more upbeat / intense.

The highlight of the DLC courses for me has been racing against incoming traffic on the final lap of Paris Promenade.

What stood out about the visuals - more than the pure graphics or art style choice - was how confusing the Tour originals are. Even a track like Coconut Mall is better at guiding players along a main route while highlighting opportunities to go off the beaten path. By comparison I'm never sure if i missed out on some alternative side road in Paris or Tokyo which I didn't even spot. And the lead-up to that first corner of Ninja Hideout still looks like I have a choice to go left everytime.

If i don't own the DLC will the courses show up in Online Play in Global now if someone picks them? Or i need to wait till March 22nd?

That's really interesting because I feel the same way. Ridge especially is an instant favourite, and Coconut is the best of the cup it's in.

I enjoy the new courses. I think my faves are Choco Mountain, Sky Garden, and Coconut Mall. The Tour courses are tough for me to get adjusted to since they are all brand new to me and the branching paths threw me off a bit, but I could see myself warming up to them very soon.

Question: when playing offline VS mode on random courses, are the new tracks part of the rotation (if you have the DLC, of course)? I haven't tried VS mode yet, just Grand Prix.

Question: when playing offline VS mode on random courses, are the new tracks part of the rotation (if you have the DLC, of course)? I haven't tried VS mode yet, just Grand Prix.
Yes. I tried out an 8-race VS Mode on Random while offline and I got Shroom Ridge.

I love all of the courses here except Toad Circuit, which just doesn't do anything special. It's not exactly bad, but it's not good either. The Tour tracks are awesome (give whoever thought of the changing layouts a raise) and Shroom Ridge and Sky Garden are some of my favorites in the game. And Coconut Mall holy shit. This really does feel like a introductory wave though, the courses should become much more unique from here.

I didn't realize how Coconut Mall is basically holy to Mario Kart fans until very recently. I saw a lot of disappointment to the changes that were made to it, with someone actually saying they ruined "the most iconic track in Mario Kart."

Maybe it's because I didn't play Mario Kart Wii a whole heck of a lot but dang I had no idea Coconut Mall was this important to people.

I enjoyed the courses. Paris Promenade and Ninja Hideaway are very original.

I have no problems with the modifications in Sky Garden and Choco Circuit.

But Coconut Mall... Too bad the cars in the parking lot don't move anymore. You don't even get damage if you drive into them.

As for the graphics... Before launch, I was worried about the style of the tracks coming from Tour (I thought they wouldn't be graphically coherent with the other tracks in MK8). But while playing, it didn't bother me at all.

damn, I'm still in the office...what is the general consesus so far? pretty positive it seems?
Critical reception for this is going to be interesting since it’s 1/6th of a $25 DLC.

For example, Sam’s Ars Technica piece trying to pass value judgement on the whole sure was a take. Meanwhile NintendoLife’s reviewer was pretty positive but kinda sour on the visual quality.

I’m honestly not sure why outlets are trying to do proper reviews at this point.

I didn't realize how Coconut Mall is basically holy to Mario Kart fans until very recently. I saw a lot of disappointment to the changes that were made to it, with someone actually saying they ruined "the most iconic track in Mario Kart."
Step aside Coobers, it’s Wiibers’ time 😂

Maybe it's because I didn't play Mario Kart Wii a whole heck of a lot but dang I had no idea Coconut Mall was this important to people.
Mario Kart Wii was a massive game for a lot of people. I mean think about those who are late millennial or early Gen Z aged. MKWii may have been their Mario Kart game growing up. Coconut Mall was just one of those maps that stuck with people. Then it became a meme recently. There's just a lot of nostalgia for Mario Kart Wii and Coconut Mall was one of the better maps. I always remember picking that map when playing with family. For me it's right up there with Moo Moo Meadows lmao.

I gotta be honest, I'm in favor of the parking lot change to the car hazard. I always thought it was a blemish on an otherwise pretty good course because of an annoying 11th hour gimmick introduced right at the end of the lap.

At least the 3DS version of Coconut Mall was better in that the cars would signal when they move, but on Wii it was just a mess.

I found some side by side comparisons.

I'm seeing a lot of complaints about the Sky Garden lap time yet.. they are the same lol

And what was the reason for getting rid of the arches, "Have a nice day", "Thank you" signs in Coconut Mall?? D:

Coconut Mall has it all:
  • A layout that's simple enough for a casual player to have fun with but engaging enough for a hardcore player to also enjoy
  • A unique theme that hasn't been before or since that gives it a great sense of place
  • Great progression through the track, going into the mall, up and down escalators, around the corners and up, then down into the parking lot for one last hectic hazard
  • An incredibly iconic music track
It's an easy fan favorite.

I believe Coconut Mall was data-mined long ago for Tour

Mario Kart Wii was a massive game for a lot of people. I mean think about those who are late millennial or early Gen Z aged. MKWii may have been their Mario Kart game growing up. Coconut Mall was just one of those maps that stuck with people. Then it became a meme recently. There's just a lot of nostalgia for Mario Kart Wii and Coconut Mall was one of the better maps. I always remember picking that map when playing with family. For me it's right up there with Moo Moo Meadows lmao.

Yeah, I think it surprises me because I was a young adult in the Wii days, so I don't have the same sacred nostalgia for that era as people a generation or two younger than me do. I had a similar shocked response when I saw the utter outrage at Nintendo Switch Sports not having Miis front and center - I had no idea up until that point that Miis were so important to people. I admit as a 30-something I'm a bit out of touch, haha.

I know 200 CC was a thing after all of the the MK 8 courses were made, but Shroom Ridge was never meant to be a 200 CC track lol

Critical reception for this is going to be interesting since it’s 1/6th of a $25 DLC.

For example, Sam’s Ars Technica piece trying to pass value judgement on the whole sure was a take. Meanwhile NintendoLife’s reviewer was pretty positive but kinda sour on the visual quality.

I’m honestly not sure why outlets are trying to do proper reviews at this point.

I legitimately would've been fine-ish with paying $25 for just this wave. $25 for the whole thing is the greatest value DLC of all time, no one change my mind on that.

Yeah, I think it surprises me because I was a young adult in the Wii days, so I don't have the same sacred nostalgia for that era as people a generation or two younger than me do. I had a similar shocked response when I saw the utter outrage at Nintendo Switch Sports not having Miis front and center - I had no idea up until that point that Miis were so important to people. I admit as a 30-something I'm a bit out of touch, haha.
I was in elementary school during the Wii craze and I assure you 99.9% of Wii kids don't have an unhealthy obsession for 15 years old polygons. What you are describing is just another loud minority of terminally online people who haven't touched grass in a good while.

Overall quite happy with how this turned out so far. Would have loved more visual polish, of course, and I think especially Sky Garden would have benefitted from a better track layout + an anti-grav section. But it's a good track selection.

What the hell... just played the Paris course for the first time, and my mind was thrown for SUCH a loop when I got to lap 3 lmao. That was neat.

I was in elementary school during the Wii craze and I assure you 99.9% of Wii kids don't have an unhealthy obsession for 15 years old polygons. What you are describing is just another loud minority of terminally online people who haven't touched grass in a good while.
I don't disagree that the outrage in the mkwii community is overdrawn but c'mon - nostalgia will always be a thing no matter what your point of reference is.

I think 200cc really makes Dash Cup shine as opposed to just being okay. But maybe that's because I prefer 200cc idk.

Ninja Hideaway and Paris Promenade are my two favorite courses from this. Coconut Mall, Choco Mountain, and Shroom Ridge are also pretty great.

The others are a bit short and kinda basic for my liking. They do have great music tho, and are worth playing just for the jams really, but on 200cc they feel sorta "blink and it's over" lol.

Played through the cups at 200cc.

It's the strangest feeling - here we are 8 years later, yet this feels like playing the original Mario Kart 8 while the actual original Mario Kart 8 feels like the sequel. MK8 on the Wii U was so far ahead of what was expected of it for it's time, and now, 8 years later, we get what we might have expected 8 years ago.

That said, the tracks were fine. I actually found myself enjoying the more traditional nature of them. But they're all a clear step down from the base game, which is just... weird. But for the price, it's easily worth it.

Fav tracks: Sky Garden, Shroom Ridge, Ninja Hideaway
Weak: Paris, Coconut Mall

I've always hated Coconut Mall with a passion. Horrible setting, horrible gimmicks. However somehow it's even worse here than it used to be. Bleh.

Back
Top Bottom