• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Mario Kart 8 Deluxe – Booster Course Pass |ST| Doubled Dash!! [WAVE 6 AVAILABLE NOW]

What is your favorite course in Wave 6?

• Rome Avanti

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • DK Mountain

Votes: 7 14.6%
  • Daisy Circuit

Votes: 1 2.1%
  • Piranha Plant Cove

Votes: 3 6.3%
  • Madrid Drive

Votes: 1 2.1%
  • Rosalina's Ice World

Votes: 7 14.6%
  • SNES Bowser Castle 3

Votes: 11 22.9%
  • Wii Rainbow Road

Votes: 18 37.5%

• Total voters
Yoshi’s Island looks awesome and I’m thrilled they are adding more characters! I was feeling very hopeful this was the Wave!

I was a big 'they will never give us new characters' naysayer, but I'm super happy to be wrong! I honestly forgot Birdo wasn't in, she's a natural pick. I'm assuming we'll get at least one other Kong and Petey.

Based off what we've heard so far, the Yoshi's island music is going to be the single best piece of music there has ever been in any Mario Kart game, ever. I'm very much looking forward to hearing the full version.

Yoshi Island has definitely raised the bar looks awesome! with this, Piranha Plant Cove & new characters looks like the final waves are going out with a bang!

English PR too

image.png

More characters........

Nintendo, you have one job to do.

MjAyMTA3MjZkMDEzYzM1ZmJkNGY1MTNlMTRiMTQyN2E0NDk2YmI

Yoshis Island looks amazing, wow, and worth it for only showing 1 track. Cant wait for the wave to release, im thinking early April

Started weak, but every single wave is getting better and better. Yoshi's Island was simply inspired.

This pack has suddenly become well worth the cost I paid blind.

Started weak, but every single wave is getting better and better. Yoshi's Island was simply inspired.

This pack has suddenly become well worth the cost I paid blind.
It definitely feels like they've been expanding the scope of what they're willing to do with their updates, both graphically and with additional content beyond what was promised. I wonder how much of that is a result of the backlash Wave 1 got

So now that I'm home, I finally got to digest the news a little bit. Yoshi's Island looks incredible, perhaps the best course so far. As was previously mentioned in the thread, the verticality is fantastic. But really, it's how lovingly they recreated the look and feel of the SNES game that's worth praising above all. A stellar remix, lots of locations represented, the use of the winged cloud mechanic, even the coins are the Yoshi's Island Yoshi Coins, complete with the original sound effects.

And we can't forget about Birdo's inclusion - bringing in the different color variants from Tour was a fantastic decision. I wonder - will Birdo be the only character appearing this wave? Or will we get more? I hope Mario Kart Tour counts as a "previous" Mario Kart game so that we can get stuff like Pauline into MK8D!

Massive props to the team on this one. The BCP is getting better and better.

I don't think they'll release 7 new characters, Wave 4 only having one would be weird in retrospect. Five makes the most sense to me. They'll be in a new row clearly separated from the rest because you have to pay extra.

Birdo, Pauline, Diddy Kong, Funky Kong, and King Bob-Omb.

Can't wait to see how the other tracks in this wave look, if this is the visual standard we have now. Still prefer base MK8, but at this point that's entirely due to preference. It's hard to imagine them improving the Tour artstyle much beyond this.

Also makes me quite a bit more confident in DK Summit for this wave: the DK track (assuming it's actually DK themed) is gonna get similar treatment, and that makes a ton of sense for wave 5 to pair with Funky and Diddy.

It definitely feels like they've been expanding the scope of what they're willing to do with their updates, both graphically and with additional content beyond what was promised. I wonder how much of that is a result of the backlash Wave 1 got
I had the exact same thought. The lesson, as ever - always complain!

I think I will actually get the dlc then after my birthday hehe, I’ve beeen holding out for awhile cause even up to wave 3 I was iffy on if it was worth it or not. But I think wave 4 pushed me over the edge

Wow! Didn’t expect to see Birdo make a return in this game. Now I expect to see Pauline and Diddy Kong in the future.

Also, the new Yoshi Island track looks great! OMG I LOVE THAT GAME!!

Remember when this dlc pack was awful and the developers were lazy and just doing it for a quick buck because they didn't want to work on the next mario kart?
I member

Yeah, the track looks crazy good. They really nailed the Yoshi's Island look while simultaneously not looking out of place in MK8. The track looks almost cel shaded but it clearly isn't. I also love that they gave some objects a heavy black outline while not overdoing it.

I'm quite curious to see what the roster looks like with the addition of Birdo.

It's going to be weird to see a character alone in a row for 3-4 months.

Diddy seems like the obvious next inclusion.

Tour opens the roster wide open, but I think they will prioritize some characters from older games for most of the additions.

If I had to pick 7 it would be these priorities, as I think this would make fans the most happy at minimum

Birdo, Diddy, Funky, Dixie, Pauline, Kamek, and Petey

I wonder if they'd bring back veterans by debut game. They specified that Birdo's Mario Kart debut was in Double Dash, so maybe they'd do something like R.O.B. and Funky Kong in Wave 5, then Honey Queen and either Pauline or someone else from Tour in Wave 6

Please tell me we're not going to have to wait until April for this... I'm so excited, but it's such a tease. I was hoping they'd confirm a March window in the Direct.

Thinking about it more, I believe we will get either 6 or 7 new characters, to create one new row or column. The press release specifies returning characters, which I think includes Tour (just like the "retro tracks" includes Tour). So that rules out people like Zelda and Captain Falcon for good, and potentially rules out Paratroopa, Wiggler, and Honey Queen unless they're coming to Tour later this year.

I think the most likely outcome is:
Wave 4: 1 new character: Birdo (to go with Yoshi's Island)
Wave 5: 2-3 new characters: Diddy, Funky, maybe Dixie (to go with a DK track)
Wave 6: 3 new characters: Petey (to go with Piranha Plant Cove), Pauline (to go with a potential Odyssey themed track?), Kamek (to go with a potential Bowser's Castle?)

I think Birdo, Diddy, and Petey are locks, with Funky and Pauline being near locks. Then the last 1-2 spots would be between Kamek, Dixie, Hammer Bro, Nabbit, Charging Chuck, King Bob-Omb, and Monty.

It's great that Nintendo has given us another thing to speculate about!

Yoshi Tour is gonna go from 4/5 to 4/18, and Yoshi’s Island is probably a lock to appear there. If the pattern holds true, they’ll drop Wave 4 one week beforehand, AKA the last week of March.

Do we have any reason to believe the new DK course is Country based in theme? Like could it actually be DK Arcade games focused instead?

Maybe we see DK Jr return with a 3D model for the first time since.... he was scrapped for Double Dash? I would also expect Pauline to show up there too.

And of course I'd expect the Country cast if it's DKC themed instead, but maybe we are due another swerve...

Anyways, the Yoshi's Island course looks brilliant. GG Nintendo

Do we have any reason to believe the new DK course is Country based in theme? Like could it actually be DK Arcade games focused instead?

Maybe we see DK Jr return with a 3D model for the first time since.... he was scrapped for Double Dash? I would also expect Pauline to show up there too.
hoping for "Kongcrete Jungle" tbh

We need 7 new characters so the CSS isn’t uneven!
Assuming we actually get 7 and that Tour counts towards the "Retro characters", I'd say:
  1. Birdo
  2. Diddy Kong
  3. Funky Kong
  4. Dixie Kong
  5. Pauline
  6. Petey Piranha
  7. ROB
Would be my ideal dream line-up, preferably with an alt for King Boo in line with his darker Luigi's Mansion appearances too.

I cannot overstate how excited I am that one of my favorite games of all time, since childhood, is getting adapted as a Mario Kart course. And not just nominally - it looks so faithful, and there are so many little additions for fans of the game!!

I wonder if we'd get Yoshi Desert and Yoshi's Island in the next wave. We're seemingly due another GBA course, and it's not like there'd be actual overlap in the theming

How do you know that's when the Yoshi Tour is happening?
The Yoshi Tour always falls over Easter weekend, so it’s just a matter of finding the Tour slot that accomplishes that. Start from 2/8 (when the Exploration Tour started) and increment two weeks at a time, and the Tour slot over Easter starts on 4/5.

I wonder if we'd get Yoshi Desert and Yoshi's Island in the next wave. We're seemingly due another GBA course, and it's not like there'd be actual overlap in the theming
I’m not expecting it, two Yoshi tracks in one Tour feels like a stretch regardless of how different they are.

I do feel more confident in no Riverside Park in Wave 4 though, that’d be two tracks with Jungle theming. Sunset Wilds makes a lot of sense for this wave.

Add a new row (7) and convert Villager, Inkling and both Mario and Peach into Skins (to clear another 6 slots) and add the 13 characters from Mario Kart Tour.

Nintendo cowards!!

First of all: new characters? WUT?!! I didn't expect that at all and thought it was out-of-scope. What's next, new karts? NEW ITEMS?!

Also: dedicated YOSHI'S ISLAND TRACK?! First of all: thank you, 'cause that's a top 3 videogame for me. Second: why? Third: it looks great, so many YI-specific things including Shy Guys On Stilts and the adorable throwable dudes! Fourth: so glad another game is getting the AC/Zelda/F-Zero treatment - curious what's next!

Lighting is still flat compared to the base game, but with such inspired design and unique assets I can't complain - it looks fantastic.

Back
Top Bottom