• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

News (Leak) All Final Fantasy Pixel Remasters RATED for Switch by ESRB

Ojoloco

Hi šŸ˜„šŸ˜„šŸ˜„
All the Final Fantasy Pixel remasters are now rated by ESRB

Whats your favourite 2D Classic Final fantasy?

Hm... if its cheap enough ill maybe jump for 6 for a new run.
Other then that... first signs of a switch 2? =P (joking. but probably for a january / february direct)

The last thing I need is more video games, let alone six of them, but Iā€™ve been waiting for this. Letā€™s see that announcement, Square!

Final fantasy 2 & 3 in America are my favourites. Canā€™t wait to play as Shadow and his dog Interceptor again šŸ˜
AbsolutelyDisgusting.jpg

And it's been 84 years, glad we can finally play these

How much will all of these cost? Together on pc is quite a bit

They're gonna be sold at the same price they launched on Steam. I doubt we see even a 6 for $60 bundle but I'd love to be wrong.

And there it is.

Separate apps? Come on, I have thousands of apps in my all software list. Even in my "Square" or "FF" group there are too many of them. Should have been one hub for all six games.

Also, will 2023 be another Square year on Switch? Looks like it.

Iā€™ll buy my favorite Final Fantasy again.

FFIV. The music remixes was pretty great. Im also very fond of FFII even tho itā€™s a very divisive game.

Haven't bought 5 & 6 on PC yet, if they fix the fonts for the console releases I'll buy those for Switch instead.

Finally! This will mean that 1 through X/X-2 will be playable on Switch, and even 12. I hope they ship it with additional font options though, as far as I'm aware the default skinny font was never changed on other platforms and had to be modded on PC.

Now Square needs to start on bringing the XIII trilogy to Switch...

Really excited to play Final Fantasy V. I loved the job system when I played it in an emulator as a kid (FF VI too, of course, but V reminded me so much of tactics).

the-fate-of-the-furious-the-fate-of-the-furious-gi-fs.gif

Christmas The 18th is coming. Brace your wallets.

I can finally stop reminding people in the general thread that these smelled like a ā€œsoft launchā€ on PC because they have been getting updates all through the year, and that the console release was probably coinciding with the 35th anniversary this month.

Oh man, it's been a while since I last played a 2D FF. I remember playing through 3 to 6 on different machines, and dropping 5(or was it 4, idr) for months after the party going to the moon and the encounter rate and difficulty just literally skyrocketed. Eventually I just gave the game to my big brother. It'd be nice to have every game on the Switch and revisit them.

Already got 'em all on Steam(deck), so I'm interested in seeing if the console versions will have any additional perks to make it worth pulling the trigger twice.

Extra content from the GBA/PSX versions would more than help the cause~!

Makes no damn sense why all platforms weren't included day one.
As shoptroll said:
these smelled like a ā€œsoft launchā€ on PC because they have been getting updates all through the year, and that the console release was probably coinciding with the 35th anniversary this month.
These launched with a number of issues on PC and mobile that Square spent months fixing after each release. Given the scope of the project (6 whole games!) it was likely they launched it on the specific platforms which have no patch certification process to get feedback and address issues quickly. If you spot an issue with the Steam build of a game all you have to do is fix it and you can immediately release the patch - there is significantly more overhead if you want to patch console games.

Yes, finally!! A Christmas shadowdrop would be awesome, but probably it will go to 2023. Maybe they will be announced at the 35th anniversary event later this month.

As shoptroll said:

These launched with a number of issues on PC and mobile that Square spent months fixing after each release. Given the scope of the project (6 whole games!) it was likely they launched it on the specific platforms which have no patch certification process to get feedback and address issues quickly. If you spot an issue with the Steam build of a game all you have to do is fix it and you can immediately release the patch - there is significantly more overhead if you want to patch console games.
They could have just released their remasters of 25-35 year old games in a good condition in the first place. I dunno how SE continues to let their all time classic 8 and 16 bit rpgs release in such shoddy shape on mobile/pc.

They could have just released their remasters of 25-35 year old games in a good condition in the first place. I dunno how SE continues to let their all time classic 8 and 16 bit rpgs release in such shoddy shape on mobile/pc.
They could have, but for whatever reason these projects always seem to run into hiccups. Look at NSO N64 back compatibility, or the GTA collection, etc. For whatever reason publishers are very bad at estimating the scope of work required for bringing classic games up to date and then underdeliver. If that is a foregone conclusion it makes sense to limit the potential fallout to a small audience which you can rapidly address.

Eeh, I've always been iffy on these remasters, they look ugly to me, the font is both unreadable and ugly, the whole thing doesn't look very coherent visually, it's like a mishmash of different styles. Plus I've heard they stutter a lot.

If this was a collection I could maybe get it on sale, but as separate releases I'll just play VI on my SNES mini.

Christmas The 18th is coming. Brace your wallets.

I can finally stop reminding people in the general thread that these smelled like a ā€œsoft launchā€ on PC because they have been getting updates all through the year, and that the console release was probably coinciding with the 35th anniversary this month.
I sincerely doubt these will release next week. Announcement? Sure.

Sceptical of the quality of these ports/"remasters"... But watching with interest. Ugly typeface needs fixing. I can't spend hundreds of hours looking at it. I just can't.

Oh man, it's been a while since I last played a 2D FF. I remember playing through 3 to 6 on different machines, and dropping 5(or was it 4, idr) for months after the party going to the moon and the encounter rate and difficulty just literally skyrocketed. Eventually I just gave the game to my big brother. It'd be nice to have every game on the Switch and revisit them.
That would be IV

I sincerely doubt these will release next week. Announcement? Sure.
Sure, but the ESRB rating means they're pretty much ready to go. My point for the last year is that console releases were going to be tied to the anniversary in some capacity.

These really should release as a 1-6 bundle and include FFIV The After Years
Final Fantasy Dimensions as well which really deserves to get off mobile platforms.

Which of these versions ended up being good?

Only FF3 is the unquestioned BEST version of 2D FF3 mostly because it has no real competition, especially in English. After that FF1 is arguably the best version of FF1 with the spell charge system, and FF6 has revamped Opera scene that is a pretty nice perk for this version.

Beyond that though FF2, 4, and 5 are all fine versions of their games. Sadly SE could have shut the door on "best version to play" with a bit more effort on these remasters, but sadly it didn't happen and there's still a strong argument for the GBA and PSP versions of FF1, 2, and 4-6 being the best versions.

inb4 they release it one at a time and FFVI is released in like 2024.

Square Enix must have seen an open week in their release schedule and decided to drop 6 releases at once. They're going for the world record!

Personally, I'm looking forward to FF IV and V the most because they seem to be the most interesting games of the series that I haven't played.

Curious question, these new remasters include later re-releases PS1/GBA/PSP extra dungeons as such? Have not been informed too much about this new remasters.
Currently they do not. From as best I can tell, since I don't have them on Steam, the overarching goal was to get the games closer to their original releases while preserving the 16-bit aesthetic. For instance, a number of the enemy sprites in 1 & 2 reverted back to the NES designs rather than using the versions that originated with the WSC/PSX versions.

Whether or not the extra dungeons from the GBA releases and the PS1 CGI intros will get added later remains to be seen.

Curious question, these new remasters include later re-releases PS1/GBA/PSP extra dungeons as such? Have not been informed too much about this new remasters.
No, think of these as remasters of the NES and SNES versions of FF1-6. For the rundown that means

FF1: No mp system, no new post game bonus dungeon

FF2: No Soul of Rebirth story mode

FF4: No ability to change party in the late game, no new post game dungeons

FF5: No new classes, no new post game dungeon

FF6: No new spells/espers, no new post game dungeons, no Kaiser dragon fight

I could certainly see them pushing out an update or DLC to reincorporate the work that Tose did for the GBA and PSP versions if they wanted to. Given how these were developed in sequence they could've been waiting for all the games to get their art done before they added those dungeons.

However, since 3 never got a GBA release (as the WSC version which would've served as the base was canned) they'd have to whip up a new set of bonus content from scratch for that. You would also need to do a balancing pass on FF1's dungeons since all the encounters in that were based around the MP system that was scrapped in favor of returning to the spell memorization system. You'd probably have to do balance passes anyways since pretty much all of these games got some sizable tweaks to their mechanics judging from patch notes.

So it's possible but would require some amount of resources and it's unclear if they're part of the vision/budget S-E had for these remasters.

Awesome news to wake up to! Iā€™ll buy at least half of these.

Back
Top Bottom