• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Kiseki/Trails Community |ST| Ul-tra-vi-o-lence ♪ - Tag your Spoilers!

Complete translation of Kondo's latest interview by Hansuke.

They're announcing Tokyo Xanadu 2 in March then, got it. I'm not the only one thinking this right? Also I haven't played the first TX nor do I really plan to but let's ignore that!

I am curious as to how Falcom has seemingly managed to have two new full-fat RPGs in a single year though. Or maybe it's not that and it's a much smaller scale new IP?

The Version 1.0.1 update for The Legend of Nayuta is now live for PS4 and Nintendo Switch!
[UPDATE NOTES]:
Various text fixes.
Graphic text fixes.
Fixed a bug that prevents 100% Bestiary completion.

cue Blue Destination

OpnNolv.jpeg

Promo is underway since this is the next big title Aksys is releasing (aside from Tengoku Struggle in April)

Ill post the tweet here. The video is not great lol, its 45 seconds long and barely has anything.

June 29 for Xanadu and now July 5 for Daybreak 😭

Ill post the tweet here. The video is not great lol, its 45 seconds long and barely has anything.

June 29 for Xanadu and now July 5 for Daybreak 😭

I forgot for a moment that TX is coming in summer too. They could've at least tried to spread them out a bit more.

July 5th was what Amazon UK had listed since December so I'm glad nothing has changed with the schedule I've been working with haha

In Act 3 of Cold Steel IV and still have Reverie to play but I should be able to get through them in time for Daybreak

Not sure if a new thread would be worth it but I woke up to this news

Falcom is on fire with the switch releases lol. Daybreak just came out in February, and now with Kuro out in summer, they dont have new games to port (they could go back). Maybe Kai will be Day 1 on switch.

I'm pleasantly surprised at how quickly they're getting this out having just released the Kuro 1 Switch port back in February

I really like to think they want to get this on Switch before Kai releases on all platforms.

Also, super price editions for Kuro 1 and 2 will be released on PS5/PS4.

Worst game in the franchise imo
I was feeling left out because when it came out I saw amazing reviews. But I just don't see it. It's like they upgraded the models and had to use them in the worst way possible, retreading CS1 for the first 4 chapters and then infodumping at the end of chapter 4 onwards. The new class VII was a mistake IMO. They could've wrapped up CS on III if they didn't have that. It just gave the game so much bloat. I left very unimpressed.

I was feeling left out because when it came out I saw amazing reviews. But I just don't see it. It's like they upgraded the models and had to use them in the worst way possible, retreading CS1 for the first 4 chapters and then infodumping at the end of chapter 4 onwards. The new class VII was a mistake IMO. They could've wrapped up CS on III if they didn't have that. It just gave the game so much bloat. I left very unimpressed.
For the most part I don't mind the new class VII characters, but I'll never understand why that was the direction they went with in the first place.

It never made sense to me that at the end of CSII, it was like
alright everyone is leaving the school except for Rean for arbitrary reasons

Then the Northern War happens which imo should've been part of CS III. For whatever reason they turned it into an anime that no one likes. Would've been cool if we actually played it and spent more time Sarah, Aurelia, etc.

Then I felt like they really moved on quickly from Rean being a military lap dog. That should've been expanded on more and how it affected his psyche. But they didn't really bother with it.

With the CS III we did get, all it really did was make the old class VII largely irrelevant except for Fie who
gets her development as a bracer.
It also just felt like if that's the direction they were going to go with, Juna should've been the protagonist instead of Rean.

Then there's the fact that the vast majority of the game is filler. The overarching plot doesn't advance until the very end of the game and then it smashes to credits right as it finally gets interesting.
Interesting, I really liked CS3, it might be my favorite after CS1. My opinion might have been influenced since I played 3 shorty after 2. And I really did not like CS2.
I'm the opposite cause I loved CSII.

Then there's the fact that the vast majority of the game is filler. The overarching plot doesn't advance until the very end of the game and then it smashes to credits right as it finally gets interesting.
Exactly. I talked about this with a friend. The game starts and until the middle of chapter 4 stays on the same story beats.
For the most part I don't mind the new class VII characters, but I'll never understand why that was the direction they went with in the first place.

It never made sense to me that at the end of CSII, it was like
alright everyone is leaving the school except for Rean for arbitrary reasons

Then the Northern War happens which imo should've been part of CS III. For whatever reason they turned it into an anime that no one likes. Would've been cool if we actually played it and spent more time Sarah, Aurelia, etc.

Then I felt like they really moved on quickly from Rean being a military lap dog. That should've been expanded on more and how it affected his psyche. But they didn't really bother with it.

With the CS III we did get, all it really did was make the old class VII largely irrelevant except for Fie who
gets her development as a bracer.
It also just felt like if that's the direction they were going to go with, Juna should've been the protagonist instead of Rean.

I'm the opposite cause I loved CSII.
IMO going for a new class VII just stuck the game to a structure that is repetitive and doesn't deliver good story beats until the very end, like you said. I like the characters but I'd prefer a different take. Juna being a protagonist could've worked better. I also agree that the Northern War being a background thing doesn't make sense when it's so important to Rean. Funny cause it took a while for the anime to happen.

But I'm hopeful that IV will deliver at least on pacing. I know it's a divisive game but I just need something more substantial.

Exactly. I talked about this with a friend. The game starts and until the middle of chapter 4 stays on the same story beats.

IMO going for a new class VII just stuck the game to a structure that is repetitive and doesn't deliver good story beats until the very end, like you said. I like the characters but I'd prefer a different take. Juna being a protagonist could've worked better. I also agree that the Northern War being a background thing doesn't make sense when it's so important to Rean. Funny cause it took a while for the anime to happen.

But I'm hopeful that IV will deliver at least on pacing. I know it's a divisive game but I just need something more substantial.
IV is better than III for sure.

But also not a whole lot better, imo.

CS4 is probably the worst in the series when it comes to overall pacing and having a repetitive structure
100%

I think the main reason I dont like CS2 and CS4 as much as CS1 and CS3 are for the same reason, the giant cast. Since the cast is so big, whenever they plan or discuss something, everyone feels obligated to say something, but like why? They sometimes say random information or info from previous encounters that aren't even relevant.

Since C1 introduces the cast in blocks it feels more natural. And while CS3 has a big cast, for the most part you just have new Class 7.

S tier: Trails in the Sky
A tier: Trails in the Sky the 3rd, Cold Steel, Cold Steel II
B tier: Trails in the Sky SC
C tier: Trails from Zero, Trails to Azure
D tier: Cold Steel III, Cold Steel IV, Reverie

Might as well chime in with my personal ranking up to Azure:

1. Azure (9/10)
2. Sky the 3rd (9/10)
3. Zero (9/10)
4. Sky SC (8.5/10)
5. Sky FC (8/10)

I think Sky the 3rd is probably the one I enjoyed the most narratively, but Azure probably was the most fun as a game.

Anime games are very much a guilty pleasure for me, but judging by what I've heard about Cold Steel I'm still pretty wary of it. I wasn't a big fan of the increased "harem"-like aspects of Zero/Azure compared to the Sky trilogy, and it sounds like Cold Steel is much worse on that front. It's still probably the next game I'll wind up playing, I just don't have a lot of time at the moment lol

Cold Steel III is my favorite of the Cold Steel games. The way the acts are laid out with each one focusing on Sky, Crossbell, and Cold Steel / New Class VII, before heading into the finale is very cool. The combat is the weak part of that game as it is too easy. If I ever played it again, I’d strongly consider bumping it up to Hard.

Sky > Sky SC > Reverie > Azure > Cold Steel III > Zero > Cold Steel II > Cold Steel IV > Cold Steel > Sky The Third > Nayuta I think for me. I might swap Zero, CS2, and CS4 around depending on the day. The rest I feel pretty good about. Hyped for Daybreak in two months!

nice to see so much Sky FC>SC here, i've always held that opinion but don't really see it too often

I guess my list would be something along the lines of 3rd>Azure>Sky Fc/Reverie>Sky SC>Zero/CS1/CS3>CS2>CS4

not really a super well defined list so used tiers for some of them

I tend to prefer the setup games in general other than Zero which didn't really fully click with me and Azure which did

Sky SC has a lot of great moments but the pacing is really a slog at times and the other Sky games have such fantastic pacing

i'm probably being slightly too harsh with CS4 and it should probably realistically be in the same tier as CS2 instead of by itself on the bottom but I was kinda sick of the Cold Steel games in general by the time I played it so the repetitive structure of it felt super noticeable and grating(to the point where I played it when it first released on Steam got halfway in and never finished it until I started over and played through it 2 years later before Reverie came out)

SC has a lot of cool things, but the introduction of ouroboros in a chapter-basis drags it down. Also revisiting the same map was shady. But it really picks up by the end.

Oh wow opinions for this series are very different! I love that. Having recently just finished Reverie myself and caught up with all the localised games my ranking would be:

1. Sky SC
2. Azure
3. Reverie
4. Zero
5. Sky FC
6. Cold Steel III
7. Sky the 3rd
8. Cold Steel II
9. Cold Steel IV
10. Cold Steel
11. Nayuta (if we're counting that)

Enjoyed my time with all of the games, they all have strong points and weak points and appeal to people in different ways.
Sky SC is my favourite because of how much I connect with Estelle's story in that one, so a lot of the themes that explores hit pretty hard. Like I spent most of the first half of that game in tears despite it being somewhat repetitive with its introducing of Ouroboros.
Really excited for Daybreak, Reverie gave me a good tease for one of the characters so I can't wait to meet them!

We doing rankings? Sure, why not.
  1. Trails in the Sky the 3rd
  2. Trails to Azure
  3. Trails in the Sky
  4. Trails of Cold Steel
  5. Trails from Zero
  6. Trails in the Sky SC
  7. Trails of Cold Steel II
Dunno when I’ll get around to the remaining Cold Steels + Reverie, but based on what I’ve heard I think I’ll like III and Reverie quite a bit more than IV. I just have not been as impressed with the “resolution” games compared to the “setup” games, Crossbell aside.

Would have to look back over my last list but I'm pretty sure my order hasn't changed since the last time I posted it.

1. Cold Steel 3
2. Azure
3. Sky SC
4. Cold Steel 4
5. Sky FC
6. Cold Steel 2
7. Cold Steel 1
8. Zero
9. Reverie
10. Sky 3rd

And for context at people who gasp at my bottom 2, I love the door stories that Sky 3rd and Reverie have, but I want to be in the world of Zeumeria, not in another games post game bonus dungeon for 90% of the run time. If we were ranking based upon overall impact on the story/lore they'd be much higher.

Edit: I forgot about Nayuta, which I guess if we are ranking it should be telling of my opinion on it. Not a bad game by any stretch, but not really want I want out Trails.

Chiming in as someone who liked Cold Steel 1 a lot more than Cold Steel 2, I have a pretty good idea that CS3 will be more up my alley. I just need to get to it in the backlog. At some point.

KAI OFFICIAL SITE IS UP!

Lots of new images and descriptions. Most anticipated game of the year by far, LET'S GOOOO!
I’m dying for a teaser trailer now. I’m still in the middle of my Kuro II playthrough, but all the screenshots and press info have gotten me super hyped up 😅.

New user to the forum here, glad to see a Falcom/Trails series thread woo!

Gonna start a new discussion out of curiosity, who are your top 5 favorite characters in the series?
I recently started Reverie, so I cant say how group C will land for me but in no particular order:
  • Oliver
  • Randy (its my pfp lol)
  • Jusis
  • Renne
  • Musse

Its kinda cheating but I like all the SSS members but I did not want a list full of them.

I recently started Reverie, so I cant say how group C will land for me but in no particular order:
  • Oliver
  • Randy (its my pfp lol)
  • Jusis
  • Renne
  • Musse

Its kinda cheating but I like all the SSS members but I did not want a list full of them.
Nice choices, a few of the characters there are close to my rankings of favorite characters.

Since you just started Reverie I won’t say too much about the group C characters (aka the picnic squad), but I’ll say that they’ll likely leave a strong impression on you pretty quickly. They’re such a fun little group of characters that are honestly the real stars of the show for Reverie’s main story.

Just realized I didn’t put in my own top 5 character list, so here they are in no particular order.

• Olivier
• Rean
• Estelle
• Kevin
• Renne

Honorable mentions to Wazy, Sara, and Osborne.

It was honestly a bit tough to make my top 5 picks, because there were just so many characters that I like. But these are the ones that left a strong impact on me the most.

Last edited:
Nice choices, a few of the characters there are close to my rankings of favorite characters.

Since you just started Reverie I won’t say too much about the group C characters (aka the picnic squad), but I’ll say that they’ll likely leave a strong impression on you pretty quickly. They’re such a fun little group of characters that are honestly the real stars of the show for Reverie’s main story.
I cna see that. I do know them from the books in CS4 so I have an idea of their personality so I am looking forward to their Act 2

New user to the forum here, glad to see a Falcom/Trails series thread woo!

Gonna start a new discussion out of curiosity, who are your top 5 favorite characters in the series?
Hello and welcome!
I believe I recognise your name and Wazy avatar from other social media sites so it's cool to see you here too if my assumption is correct!

As for top 5 favourite characters mine are:

• Estelle
  • Nadia
  • Alisa
  • Elie
  • Juna

Limiting to just 5 is tough because there's so many strong characters. I love all of the SSS, I love the Gralsritter members I've met so far, I love the Imperial Picnicking Group, I love my Liberl gang, I love my Bracers. Can't wait to start the Calvard arc and find even more characters I love making my top 5 more difficult to choose

Back
Top Bottom