• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Kiseki/Trails Community |ST| Ul-tra-vi-o-lence ♪ - Tag your Spoilers!

Ball's in Xseed's court to prove me wrong. I'll happily stand corrected if they deliver.
Do you know that Xseed has actually been approached by any other publisher to license out the VA for Cold Steel 1/2 or that any other publisher has even approached Falcom to release them in the West using the localizations that Falcom owns? I'm not seeing any proof, just assumptions.

Do you know that Xseed has actually been approached by any other publisher to license out the VA for Cold Steel 1/2 or that any other publisher has even approached Falcom to release them in the West using the localizations that Falcom owns? I'm not seeing any proof, just assumptions.
Why would another publisher need to be involved for the Switch versions when Xseed themselves localized and published the Steam and PS4 versions? That's why I'm assuming it's on them to get the ball rolling for localization.

Why would another publisher need to be involved for the Switch versions when Xseed themselves localized and published the Steam and PS4 versions? That's why I'm assuming it's on them to get the ball rolling for localization.

Because anyone can license the game from Falcom and license out the localization. Xseed doesn't need to be involved. Falcom owns the text localization and the games. The only grey area is the voiceover work for CS1/2.

Because anyone can license the game from Falcom and license out the localization. Xseed doesn't need to be involved. Falcom owns the text localization and the games. The only grey area is the voiceover work for CS1/2.
What's your source for Falcom owning the localized text instead of Xseed?

Not gonna lie, seeing this ST pop up on the front page so often got me back into the mood, so I started Cold Steel. Been a lot of fun so far. It’s impressive how the standard Trails gameplay loop can be retrofitted into so many different settings; bracers, police, and now school life.

Uno reverse, do you have evidence that Xseed has that level of control over their translation?
I don't have any evidence either.

But I think it's more natural to assume that Xseed, the company who translated and published these games on Steam and PS4, would need to be involved in some way to bring the Switch ports over, whether it's to use their translations, their voice recordings, or to just publish the game on a new platform here in the first place. Could there be another Origins situation where another publisher steps in to do the work? Sure, but I'll bet they'd still need to negotiate with Xseed to do so.

If you disagree, that's fine. You're free to believe what you want, and I'll do the same. As we've established, we're all speculating and none of us really knows the nature of whatever contracts have been signed. No need to keep talking in circles about it.

So I picked up Ys IX on Switch a few years back because I liked the demo. I played though that and really loved it and since then I've been playing through the Ys series. I can't wait wait for them to eventually localize that Oath in Felghana Switch port and Ys X Nordics. But who knows how long that will be lol

I got the Legend of Nayuta Boundless Trails last month to scratch that Falcom itch. I think it's supposed to be a spinoff of the Trails series from what I understand. I'm almost finished with that and really enjoyed it. I might actually have to try sinking my teeth into the Trails series proper really soon.

funnily enough I actually got into this series when FC released on Steam in 2014 primarily because of how enthusiastic Durante seemed posting about it in a forum thread I was lurking in

it still feels a little weird sometimes how much tech stuff he's done since then for a series I got into because of him years before he started doing that(he's done a great job with those PC releases though)

Not gonna lie, seeing this ST pop up on the front page so often got me back into the mood, so I started Cold Steel. Been a lot of fun so far. It’s impressive how the standard Trails gameplay loop can be retrofitted into so many different settings; bracers, police, and now school life.
Mission accomplished

9b9.png

So I've recently finished Cold Steel 2 and I really liked it. Not perfect and carries over some of Cold Steel issues such as having too large a cast to know what to do with everyone but overall I enjoyed what it explored.
The whole civil war aspect is pretty undercooked with the bulk of the actual war seemingly taking place off screen in the west of Erebonia but I did love seeing Rean reunite with his classmates and liberating the towns and cities. Definitely the kind of stuff that helps make going through the slow burn of CS1 a bit better as I wouldn't have had the attachment to the places and characters without it. Also appreciated the freedom of exploration this game allowed for and how connected the world feels again. The liberation of Trista and Thors was a bit underwhelming for all the build up they gave it however.
Also appreciated how much more involved Ouroboros were here and seeing new characters like McBurn and getting a sense of the scale of power they have was very eye opening to what we'll probably be facing in the future. The stuff with Zephyr and Fie was also really good, I gained a lot more appreciation of Fie and Sara as a result.
The finale of the main story was also pretty cool. Loved the Sonic/Shadow esque dynamic between Rean and Crow with them even hopping into their "super" forms (their knights) to take down a greater evil and we even got Crow dying to keep the Shadow parallel up! Osborne's return really showed just what an incredible presence he has as a villain and exactly what the Imperial Liberation Front in CS1 were lacking. I am frustrated we didn't get an explanation on how he cheated death but I am in awe of how much all the events that took place were exactly how he planned with him even uniting Erebonia behind their new Ashen Chevalier hero (though I'm struggling to take the Rean I am your father reveal seriously haha)
The post game section where you get to play as Lloyd in the Geofront was INCREDIBLE as someone who has been playing through the games in release order. Just seeing Crossbell modelled in 3D to this scale was so cool and the event of the annexation made me realise just how attached I was to Crossbell itself and how much it hurt seeing Rufus and Osborne take claim of it. I'm also interested in seeing how they explore Rean's character with him essentially being a villain to the people of Crossbell now, the great Erebonia hero who annexed them and repelled Calvard.
The final Epilogue section dragged on a bit, still not entirely sure what the Reverie Corridor was for or the final boss of it (even Celine says it was pointless)
But yeah, overall my enjoyment outweighed the flaws and I'll always take that

Kai no Kiseki info from Famitsu

This confirms Kevin is finally back after we saw that screenshot.

A few rambling thoughts now that I’m roughly halfway through Cold Steel (or at least I’m assuming so).

Unsurprisingly, I love it. Trails is already prime binging material for me; throw in a well written cast of school classmates and a country I’ve been dying to explore for 5 games now, and it’s an instant winner in my book.

Erebonia is easily my favorite setting yet. I’ll always love Liberl and Crossbell in equal measure, but Erebonia is the best of both worlds, maintaining the political intrigue on a much grander scale. The tension between the Noble and Reformist factions was already illustrated quite well in the Liberl and Crossbell games, but finally seeing it firsthand is really satisfying, especially in conjunction with the field studies.

Traveling through Liberl and learning about each region went a long way in establishing Trails’s fantastic worldbuilding, but the political conflicts within each region of Erebonia push that story loop even further, to great effect. It’s so easy to get attached to each region and its quirks; the quiet peace of Celdic, the sweeping plains of Nord, the bustling streets of Heimdallr, they all stand out from each other in a way that brilliantly illustrates how vast Erebonia is, and how each cultural fits into the underlying conflicts plaguing the country. The tech jump definitely helps too; Cold Steel isn’t exactly a looker of a game, but going full 3D really sells the differences between each place you visit. I’ll always have a soft spot for the isometric chibi style, but Nord and Heimdallr wouldn’t be remotely the same with that artstyle.

As mentioned before, I’m also impressed with the characterization of Class VII. The school setting had me a bit wary, but the core cast is really strong. They feel like genuine students in a big friend group, a dynamic that very few games have gotten right in my experience. They have their ups and downs, certain friendships can come and go, smaller cliques can form and disappear, a lot of it is reminiscent to my own experiences which is pretty neat.

Again though, it’s the field studies that really shine. Splitting the class in half helps keep things focused and lets some of the individual relationships grow in ways that probably wouldn’t have happened otherwise. The Chapter 2 group of Jusis/Machias/Emma/Fie in particular felt like a disaster waiting to happen, but the growth over the field study resulted in a kickass team with a ton of chemistry. That wouldn’t have happened if the full class was sent together each time. It’s very reminiscent of Sky 1, which is always a big plus in my book.

Not much else to say beyond that. The rest of the cast is decent but not overly standout (besides Sara, she’s amazing). Seeing Olivier and Lechter again is always a treat. Gameplay is as solid as ever; I kinda miss the old Orbment lines system, but the new one is still plenty satisfying. Wasn’t expecting the main antagonists to be the Erebonian terrorists in Azure, so that’s pretty neat. The Trade Conference was the best moment in all of Trails in my opinion, so I’ll happily take another perspective on it.

On a minor note, they still suck at writing romance. A lot of the same nonsense from Crossbell is here, particularly Rean’s evil sin of treating women like normal humans being misconstrued as flirting. It was dumb with Lloyd and it’s even dumber here. But my god, why does Elise like Rean too? Estelle/Joshua was already iffy, but at least that was justifiable given how late they met. Elise has known Rean as her brother for essentially her entire life. There should be no romance there. Bad Falcom

A few rambling thoughts now that I’m roughly halfway through Cold Steel (or at least I’m assuming so).

Unsurprisingly, I love it. Trails is already prime binging material for me; throw in a well written cast of school classmates and a country I’ve been dying to explore for 5 games now, and it’s an instant winner in my book.

Erebonia is easily my favorite setting yet. I’ll always love Liberl and Crossbell in equal measure, but Erebonia is the best of both worlds, maintaining the political intrigue on a much grander scale. The tension between the Noble and Reformist factions was already illustrated quite well in the Liberl and Crossbell games, but finally seeing it firsthand is really satisfying, especially in conjunction with the field studies.

Traveling through Liberl and learning about each region went a long way in establishing Trails’s fantastic worldbuilding, but the political conflicts within each region of Erebonia push that story loop even further, to great effect. It’s so easy to get attached to each region and its quirks; the quiet peace of Celdic, the sweeping plains of Nord, the bustling streets of Heimdallr, they all stand out from each other in a way that brilliantly illustrates how vast Erebonia is, and how each cultural fits into the underlying conflicts plaguing the country. The tech jump definitely helps too; Cold Steel isn’t exactly a looker of a game, but going full 3D really sells the differences between each place you visit. I’ll always have a soft spot for the isometric chibi style, but Nord and Heimdallr wouldn’t be remotely the same with that artstyle.

As mentioned before, I’m also impressed with the characterization of Class VII. The school setting had me a bit wary, but the core cast is really strong. They feel like genuine students in a big friend group, a dynamic that very few games have gotten right in my experience. They have their ups and downs, certain friendships can come and go, smaller cliques can form and disappear, a lot of it is reminiscent to my own experiences which is pretty neat.

Again though, it’s the field studies that really shine. Splitting the class in half helps keep things focused and lets some of the individual relationships grow in ways that probably wouldn’t have happened otherwise. The Chapter 2 group of Jusis/Machias/Emma/Fie in particular felt like a disaster waiting to happen, but the growth over the field study resulted in a kickass team with a ton of chemistry. That wouldn’t have happened if the full class was sent together each time. It’s very reminiscent of Sky 1, which is always a big plus in my book.

Not much else to say beyond that. The rest of the cast is decent but not overly standout (besides Sara, she’s amazing). Seeing Olivier and Lechter again is always a treat. Gameplay is as solid as ever; I kinda miss the old Orbment lines system, but the new one is still plenty satisfying. Wasn’t expecting the main antagonists to be the Erebonian terrorists in Azure, so that’s pretty neat. The Trade Conference was the best moment in all of Trails in my opinion, so I’ll happily take another perspective on it.

On a minor note, they still suck at writing romance. A lot of the same nonsense from Crossbell is here, particularly Rean’s evil sin of treating women like normal humans being misconstrued as flirting. It was dumb with Lloyd and it’s even dumber here. But my god, why does Elise like Rean too? Estelle/Joshua was already iffy, but at least that was justifiable given how late they met. Elise has known Rean as her brother for essentially her entire life. There should be no romance there. Bad Falcom
I enjoyed reading your thoughts. I think my favorite field study group is from Chapter 4.

Well I finished Sky FC, that was great. Love the look of it, love the huge cast of characters (especially Estelle, Zin and Olivier!) but I think what I loved the most is all the cool environments you explore that are so detailed for some reason. Love getting to a new town and see all the cool architecture, especially those incredible landing ports. Hope we get to ride more airships in the sequels.

I wasn't really feeling Joshua, pretty bland character and I kind of wish his relationship with Estelle would stay as brother/sister, but I will say that twist at the end was really intriguing and make me want to see what's next right away.

Follow up to this, now that I've beaten the game and have made a bit of headway into Cold Steel II

I picked an interesting time to dump some thoughts down, because my engagement with the game dropped a fair amount after Chapter 4. Class VII was written pretty well up to that point, as I said before, but it felt like a lot of the interpersonal storylines between classmates had more or less wrapped up by the end of the Heimdallr arc, which didn't leave a whole lot of intrigue for the remaining chapters in that department. Laura, Alisa, and Emma are the only core classmates that really get much of anything, and all three are just retreading character arcs or story beats they had already gone through earlier. There's a few nice character moments, but they're a lot sparser than earlier on: Rean dueling with Victor and Fie joining Rean for his meeting with Claire were the only two that stuck with me in any capacity.

Granted, Chapters 5-6 focus more on other characters, but they aren't as strong as Class VII proper, with one obvious exception. Millium ranges from tolerable to annoying, George is pleasant but fairly insipid, and while Towa is adorable, she barely shows up. Angelica is pretty cool though, save for the borderline sexual harrassment thing Falcom threw into her character. Someday, they'll understand that you can write a flirty character without being blatant. Someday.

Crow is the obvious highlight though, and he carries pretty hard when he needs to. I pegged him as C very early on, but I wasn't anticipating him to be as strong as he was. I was expecting to kick his ass and set him straight, similar to Richardson in Sky 1, but nope. Dude whooped Rean to hell and back. Wasn't expecting that, so credit to Falcom there. I also pinpointed Misty/Vita as a potential antagonist pretty early on, but I wasn't expecting her to go so high up the Ouroboros chain. That's 4 Anguises now, I believe. Vita, Mariabell, Novartis, and Arianrhod. Wonder if they'll play into Cold Steel II at all, particularly the latter given that she was almost certainly the one who killed off Nosferatu in Chapter 5.

The greater focus was obviously placed on the political side of things, although I do think it slipped a bit into Sky 2's failings a bit with how coincidental things are. Rean being in Heimdallr during the terrorist attack was easy enough to buy into. Rean being in Nord during the instigation was a bit more of a stretch, but one is fine enough. Rean being in Garrelia during the terrorist attack was even more of a stretch, but given that all of Class VII was there, sure. I can buy that. But Rean being in Roer during the mine attack, that's getting a bit silly. 4 times in a row where Rean is directly in position to stop the ILF, purely through coincidence. Maybe there's a clever plot device that justifies those coincidences, similar to how Azure justified some of my issues with Zero, but I'm not gonna hold my breath.

As for the politics itself, my thoughts echo what I said about characters, albeit to a slightly lesser extent. Legram was a nice location to visit, but was pretty thoroughly detached from everything. That left Garrelia and Roer to carry the political intrigue weight, and unfortunately I don't think either deliverd as strongly as the first 4 locations did. Reinford's involvement with each faction was pretty interesting I suppose, but beyond that there really wasn't a whole lot of interest in either spot.

As for the narrative itself, it relied a lot more on the Crossbell arc than I was expecting it to. The Trade Conference and the annihilation of Garrelia are both central plot points to the story, and both happen entirely offscreen. I'm happy I understood how important those events were from playing Azure, because I don't think Cold Steel would've landed quite as well if I hadn't. Similar with everything involving related to the Sky trilogy: finally learning Olivert's plan for fighting against the turmoil in Erebonia, the reveal of the Courageous (with the Sky 3rd music, hell yes) getting more clarification on Lechter's origins, and even the fallout of the Jaeger attacks on the Erebonian Bracer Guilds. It's these types of smaller references and follow-ups that go such a long way in making Trails as special as it is, and I'm happy they doubled down on it after the Crossbell games had so many too.

However, the pacing is really weird, which was an issue with the Crossbell games as well. Each chapter just kinda stops after its climax, and you never get to see any of the fallout. Class VII will fight against these crazy terrorist attacks, and then suddenly its back to school and everything is normal. It's very stop-and-go, and it loses its rhythm pretty frequently. Sky 1 and to a lesser extent Zero were both much better paced. That applies to the combat too, particularly the boss fights in the Schoolhouse: the difficulty spikes in this game are atrocious. You'll go from whaling on enemies to getting your teeth kicked in by a generic monster out of nowhere. It's just in the Schoolhouse too: the boss fights in the main narrative were all paced plenty fine, and none ever approached the same level of difficulty.

That extends to the finale too, although I think it works to great effect there. They could've dealt with the leadup to Osborne's speech better to really heighten the tension, but otherwise it's so damn cool. The assassination, storming Heimdallr, defending Trista, Rean calling on the Ashen Knight, it was all so damn cool. The credits drop after Rean was taken away was about as perfect of a cliffhanger that you could ask for, and it got me to start Cold Steel II right away.

On a very minor note, I am incredibly upset and find it disgraceful that Falcom didn't actually write and sing the songs for the concert. The Machias/Jusis pop duet could've been their Magnum Opus, and they failed. Bringing I Swear back was really touching, but it doesn't fully make up for their failings as a studio here.

EDIT: Slipped my mind, but in regards to Osborne, there’s absolutely no chance he’s dead. Someone built up as much as him isn’t gonna get offed this early. No shot.

Last edited:
So I've been continuing my Trails journey with Cold Steel 3 and I'm currently working through Chapter 3 so here's some thoughts so far:
So far this has been Cold Steel 1 but we've learned some lessons and it's better. I was a little worried it when I found out it was going to be back to the school formula but the west of Erebonia this time but they've managed to fix a lot of the issues I had with CS1
Yeah it follows the exact same structure of school stuff > field trip, they even found a way to put a recurring dungeon in like the old schoolhouse, but I'm enjoying it a lot more here for a variety of reasons.
The smaller main cast size - new Class VII consists of just 3 students to begin with, Juna, Kurt, and Altina with Ash and Musse transferring later to round it out to 5. The smaller tight-knit group makes it easier for them to have meaningful interactions with each other. There's one particularly great scene in Chapter 2 where Juna is curled up depressed in her bed after finding out what's been happening to Crossbell and Kurt and Altina stay behind to try and help her through stuff. It's just a really well done scene and something that og Class VII didn't have much of outside of Rean.
Speaking of Rean, moving him into the position of instructor has been really good. The position plays to his strengths of having a kind heart and looking out for others as well as being able to show off the experience he's gained since being thrust into the position of being the Empire's hero who stopped the Civil War. Being an instructor also allows for his students to have moments outside of him while also allowing them to come to him for advice and stuff. I do wish the stuff with him carrying out the Empire's orders with stuff like participating in the annexation of Crossbell and North Ambria was explored a bit better. I get that he's doing it to save and protect people and that he's not happy about following the orders but I wish there was more calling out that he's been helping to ruin lives as well by doing this. I kinda thought that was where Juna was heading when she had her outburst at him but that was quickly resolved by revealing Rean had saved her and her siblings when invading Crossbell. There was good stuff with Juna feeling conflicted towards Rean before that, like she was angry at him for his part in the occupation of Crossbell while realising that he's genuinely a good person who helps others but revealing that it was due to her not knowing how to thank him for saving her I felt kinda undermined where I thought they were going with it. Aside from that I have been enjoying Rean here and his struggles with his "ogre power" after what happened to him North Ambria. And I really like how much he's been helping Altina become more human after she's spent most of her life basically being a human shaped weapon only following orders without question.
Another plus this has over CS1 is that it takes place after a year and a half timeskip which means.... Returning characters from past arcs! Huge fan of seeing Tita and Agate come back and still looking out for each other. Randy being forced into an instructor position and dealing with it maturely has been great. Tio working with Alisa was a really nice surprise and seeing og Class VII go out into the world and finding careers is the type of growth I love. Also really like og Class VII coming in and helping against Ouroboros because they have more experience than new Class VII.
Speaking of Ouroboros, they help make the field trip finales feel more exciting. The Imperial Liberation Front in CS1 really lacked any threatening presence for me, especially after G went off to die in Azure, Ouroboros on the other hand are bringing out their own Aions based off what the saw in Crossbell which really ups the stakes. Their main aim right now seems to be test these Aions while they search for a way to take back their Phantasmal Blaze plan (I'm still not entirely sure what that is) from Osborne. Seeing Campanella return is cool and McBurn is just a force of oh Aidios this guy is powerful as heck. Shirley returning.... Yeah I really don't like her because of if you know, you know.
Also chapter 1 took us to Hamel and my gosh the feels when the music starts playing there. I had no idea that was going to be brought up again but it was a really important history lesson for the new Thors students to realise the truth about the stuff Erebonia has done in the past.
Another thing to touch upon is dead characters coming back. When I saw the Azure Siegfried in the little character opening they play at the beginning, I rolled my eyes because I knew immediately that was Crow (side note: Falcom please stop making only one left handed character, killing them off and then bringing them back the next game with a mask on like we're not going to immediately figure out who they are). Then in Chapter 1 they brought Rutger, Fie's old Jaeger boss, back from the dead as well and I'm like c'mon, what's the point in dying if people just keep coming back? After the Azure Siegfried showed up in Chapter 2 however, I did notice that both he and Rutger have transparent Divine Knights so I'm kinda thinking that they can bring people back from thr dead somehow, maybe by replacing their unique personality with the dead persons (like if Rean died he would replace Valimar to be brought back). If I'm right then that means Osborne probably has a Divine Knight too which would explain how he's alive despite Crow blowing a massive hole through his chest.

Anyways, I think I've rambled enough for now, basically I'm enjoying Cold Steel 3 and I'm excited to see where the story goes from here

So I've been continuing my Trails journey with Cold Steel 3 and I'm currently working through Chapter 3 so here's some thoughts so far:
So far this has been Cold Steel 1 but we've learned some lessons and it's better. I was a little worried it when I found out it was going to be back to the school formula but the west of Erebonia this time but they've managed to fix a lot of the issues I had with CS1
Yeah it follows the exact same structure of school stuff > field trip, they even found a way to put a recurring dungeon in like the old schoolhouse, but I'm enjoying it a lot more here for a variety of reasons.
The smaller main cast size - new Class VII consists of just 3 students to begin with, Juna, Kurt, and Altina with Ash and Musse transferring later to round it out to 5. The smaller tight-knit group makes it easier for them to have meaningful interactions with each other. There's one particularly great scene in Chapter 2 where Juna is curled up depressed in her bed after finding out what's been happening to Crossbell and Kurt and Altina stay behind to try and help her through stuff. It's just a really well done scene and something that og Class VII didn't have much of outside of Rean.
Speaking of Rean, moving him into the position of instructor has been really good. The position plays to his strengths of having a kind heart and looking out for others as well as being able to show off the experience he's gained since being thrust into the position of being the Empire's hero who stopped the Civil War. Being an instructor also allows for his students to have moments outside of him while also allowing them to come to him for advice and stuff. I do wish the stuff with him carrying out the Empire's orders with stuff like participating in the annexation of Crossbell and North Ambria was explored a bit better. I get that he's doing it to save and protect people and that he's not happy about following the orders but I wish there was more calling out that he's been helping to ruin lives as well by doing this. I kinda thought that was where Juna was heading when she had her outburst at him but that was quickly resolved by revealing Rean had saved her and her siblings when invading Crossbell. There was good stuff with Juna feeling conflicted towards Rean before that, like she was angry at him for his part in the occupation of Crossbell while realising that he's genuinely a good person who helps others but revealing that it was due to her not knowing how to thank him for saving her I felt kinda undermined where I thought they were going with it. Aside from that I have been enjoying Rean here and his struggles with his "ogre power" after what happened to him North Ambria. And I really like how much he's been helping Altina become more human after she's spent most of her life basically being a human shaped weapon only following orders without question.
Another plus this has over CS1 is that it takes place after a year and a half timeskip which means.... Returning characters from past arcs! Huge fan of seeing Tita and Agate come back and still looking out for each other. Randy being forced into an instructor position and dealing with it maturely has been great. Tio working with Alisa was a really nice surprise and seeing og Class VII go out into the world and finding careers is the type of growth I love. Also really like og Class VII coming in and helping against Ouroboros because they have more experience than new Class VII.
Speaking of Ouroboros, they help make the field trip finales feel more exciting. The Imperial Liberation Front in CS1 really lacked any threatening presence for me, especially after G went off to die in Azure, Ouroboros on the other hand are bringing out their own Aions based off what the saw in Crossbell which really ups the stakes. Their main aim right now seems to be test these Aions while they search for a way to take back their Phantasmal Blaze plan (I'm still not entirely sure what that is) from Osborne. Seeing Campanella return is cool and McBurn is just a force of oh Aidios this guy is powerful as heck. Shirley returning.... Yeah I really don't like her because of if you know, you know.
Also chapter 1 took us to Hamel and my gosh the feels when the music starts playing there. I had no idea that was going to be brought up again but it was a really important history lesson for the new Thors students to realise the truth about the stuff Erebonia has done in the past.
Another thing to touch upon is dead characters coming back. When I saw the Azure Siegfried in the little character opening they play at the beginning, I rolled my eyes because I knew immediately that was Crow (side note: Falcom please stop making only one left handed character, killing them off and then bringing them back the next game with a mask on like we're not going to immediately figure out who they are). Then in Chapter 1 they brought Rutger, Fie's old Jaeger boss, back from the dead as well and I'm like c'mon, what's the point in dying if people just keep coming back? After the Azure Siegfried showed up in Chapter 2 however, I did notice that both he and Rutger have transparent Divine Knights so I'm kinda thinking that they can bring people back from thr dead somehow, maybe by replacing their unique personality with the dead persons (like if Rean died he would replace Valimar to be brought back). If I'm right then that means Osborne probably has a Divine Knight too which would explain how he's alive despite Crow blowing a massive hole through his chest.

Anyways, I think I've rambled enough for now, basically I'm enjoying Cold Steel 3 and I'm excited to see where the story goes from here
CS3 is my favorite Cold Steel game basically for the things you mentioned first. Such a refreshing experience after CS1 and 2

The one thing I was hoping Cold Steel wouldn't do is fall into the same trap that Sky SC did. The first half of Sky SC was so damn formulaic and relied way too heavily on coincidence to drive its "story" forward, in which there really wasn't much of a story to begin with. And yet, somehow, Cold Steel II's opening act might be even worse.

It starts on a strong note with Ymir, don't get me wrong, but the following three chapters are so by-the-numbers its almost comical. The plot structure is literally identical in all three: warp to place with classmates, find classmates, break into a Noble Alliance stronghold easily, antagonists show up and kick your ass, another party member saves you, Valimar fight, leave. Repeat three times in a row. Reuniting Class VII amidst a civil war sounds like an awesome premise on paper, and the civil war itself should've helped alleviate the reliance on coincidence that plagued Sky SC, but they somehow manage to fail on both fronts pretty soundly. There's a few nice reunion scenes, especially in the Celdic chapter, but that's not enough to really save things.

I really want to emphasize the civil war though, because wow have they dropped the ball here so far. Trails thrives off its political intrigue, and an Erebonian civl war should be a brilliant way to capitalize off of the worldbuilding established in Cold Steel I. But it's just kinda...nothing. All three locations you visit are barely impacted by the war at all outside of I guess the Grand Market in Celdic, but even then it's entirely tell, not show. You just kinda have to believe that the war is hurting people, because you're never actually gonna see it for yourself. As mentioned before, the "Noble Alliance is dominating" kinda falls flat too when Rean and co. can literally just walk into/through three separate Noble strongholds with no difficulty whatsoever. Really giving me a reason to fear the Nobles there, Falcom.

The "both sides" thing also falls entirely flat. Chancellor Osborne is the only person in the entire Reformist Faction that's portrayed in any sort of negative light, and even then he's portayed as more of a morally gray character than a purely evil one. Everyone else is pretty blatantly painted as a "good guy", while the Noble Alliance is dominated by pompous assholes and who have pretty much no depth whatsoever and a set of literal terrorists. One side has Elliot's dad and Mueller's uncle, both of which are unambigiously "good guys", while the other side is led by Duke Cayenne and Duke Albarea, who aren't even remotely sympathetic. And I'm supposed to believe that the Imperial Army is just as bad as the Noble Alliance? Rufus is the only one that actually fits that narrative, and he doesn't make up for pretty much everyone else being a magnanimous dickhead.

At least the other antagonists contracted by the Noble Alliance are really strong though. Crow is still awesome, Vulcan and Scarlet are a lot more interesting than I anticipated, I really like Xeno and Leo, Bleublanc is always a treat, I'm interested in learning more about Altina, Duvalie is hysterical, and McBurn is a fucking badass. The Intermission where you get to talk to all of them was awesome; it was obviously riffing off of Sky SC with Estelle aboard the Glorious, but I honestly preferred this even more, mostly because of how interesting the antagonists are here. The entire segment as a whole is pretty much exactly what I've been waiting for throughout the entire first act of CSII, and I'm happy that the story finally seems to be kicking into gear.

So, yeah. I know I sound really negative, but I'm assuming that Act 1 + Intermission is only like 30-40% of the story, so I've got a long way to go still. And I'm assuming that the best is yet to come, and the worst has passed. Hopefully.

Here I was, ready to type up my thoughts, and then these crazy motherfuckers give me a Lloyd chapter in Crossbell? What the flying fuck?

I’ve been surprised by plenty of Trails plot twists in the past, but this is on another level. My interest shot up like twenty fold now, good shit Falcom. And bringing back one of the best battle themes in any JRPG? I’m on cloud nine right now.

Here I was, ready to type up my thoughts, and then these crazy motherfuckers give me a Lloyd chapter in Crossbell? What the flying fuck?

I’ve been surprised by plenty of Trails plot twists in the past, but this is on another level. My interest shot up like twenty fold now, good shit Falcom. And bringing back one of the best battle themes in any JRPG? I’m on cloud nine right now.
This was so hype for me, one of those moments that I'm always a sucker for

And that's Cold Steel II wrapped up. While I still enjoyed my time with it quite a bit, it definitely clocks in as my least favorite Trails game so far, and the only one that I wouldn't say is a truly great game.
  • I talked about this already with my Act 1 thoughts, but the "Civil War" barely matters at all throughout the whole game. Copying the Sky SC template of revisiting the same locations you went to in the previous game sounds really cool on paper if each is affected by the war in meaningful ways, but few of them actually are, and you hardly interact with the actual issues at hand in those locations anyway. The first half of the game is a glorified fetch quest, and the second half feels more like checking boxes of locations you haven't visited yet and characters you haven't seen again yet.
  • On that note, the brunt of the game just lacks any sort of substance in general. I'm trying to draw up a list of characters that went through any sort of meaningful character development, and I'm drawing a blank. I guess Rean, but his character development was so drawn out that I hesitate to call it a positive, and even then once you're past the intermission he doesn't get much either. The little bursts of character development they do give out are so rushed and random too; Sara's in particular was egregiously bad, popping up out of nowhere and having absolutely nothing to do with anything else that was happening on that mission. Even the antagonists, while fairly complex, are pretty static through the game. Even Crow, who was perfectly poised for a character arc where he embraces his love for his classmates despite his self-imposed obligation as leader of the ILF. Nope, turns out he was like that from the get-go, so there was no need for that character development in the first place. Alright.
  • The finale sequence was also kind of a joke. The whole "I was holding back the whole time" thing doesn't bother me a ton, but doing it three times in a row is silly. For McBurn? Sure, it'd be more disappointing if he didn't get that type of moment. But the other 4 did not need that at all, especially since there wasn't any reason to kill or apprehend them anyway (besides Bleublanc, but the Enforcers can just teleport away regardless). I guess it was nice to actually beat Crow, but that literally had to happen for the story to function.
  • Of course, the game doesn't stop at the finale. Credit where it's due, the story goes completely off the rails for a bit once Osborne finally shows up. I knew he wasn't dead (forgot that Azure outright spoils that lol) but I thought he was just in hiding, not puppeteering the entire war from the shadows. If there's one thing Trails does very well, it's making sure characters live up to the hype, and Osborne most certainly did that. Great way to reestablish himself as the primary antagonist of Erebonia, sucking the wind out of Class VII's sails entirely while simultaneously killing like 5 different birds with one Rufus-sized stone. Hard to not be impressed with his role here.
    • That moment also helped me understand why Class VII is so weirdly centrist in this game, despite exclusively fighting against the blatantly evil Noble Alliance. Osborne was (and I guess still is) the only reason why the Reformists were considered bad in the first place. Which worked in the first game, considering how everything revolved around him while the Noble Alliance was more spread out. Take Osborne out of the equation though, and there isn't a single reason to dislike the Reformists; they're entirely made up of good people doing good things. I wish the game had addressed that to some degree, instead of continuing the silly "well both sides are the same" shtick that was pretty clearly not true, even to Class VII themselves.
  • The Crossbell segment was awesome and easily my highlight of the game. Not just because of Lloyd and Rixia returning, but because it actually had emotional and political stakes involved. There's finally some consequences to Rean's actions, and he has to pay the price for them. There's pushback against the Reformists, and you have a reason to root against them. It's such a breath of fresh air after the main story was so milquetoast in those aspects, and it does a great job of setting up Rean and Erebonia for Cold Steel III. I'm still gonna take a long break, but that short segment alone bumped the game up a tier for me. I finally got the Azure epilogue I wanted.
  • On a more positive note, the gameplay here is excellent. Overdrive is a nice addition that complements the first game's combat quite nicely. Knight battles are fun but pretty mindless, especially once you realize that Sara is the most OP assistant in the game. The dungeons were much better, and breaking the game apart by the end is really satisfying. And most importantly, the treasure chest puns are some of the worst I've ever seen, I love them so much.
So that's that. Gonna take another Trails hibernation before I get into Cold Steel III, Cold Steel IV, and Reverie. Heard mixed things about IV but a lot of positivity for the other two, so I'm excited.

And that's Cold Steel II wrapped up. While I still enjoyed my time with it quite a bit, it definitely clocks in as my least favorite Trails game so far, and the only one that I wouldn't say is a truly great game.
  • I talked about this already with my Act 1 thoughts, but the "Civil War" barely matters at all throughout the whole game. Copying the Sky SC template of revisiting the same locations you went to in the previous game sounds really cool on paper if each is affected by the war in meaningful ways, but few of them actually are, and you hardly interact with the actual issues at hand in those locations anyway. The first half of the game is a glorified fetch quest, and the second half feels more like checking boxes of locations you haven't visited yet and characters you haven't seen again yet.
  • On that note, the brunt of the game just lacks any sort of substance in general. I'm trying to draw up a list of characters that went through any sort of meaningful character development, and I'm drawing a blank. I guess Rean, but his character development was so drawn out that I hesitate to call it a positive, and even then once you're past the intermission he doesn't get much either. The little bursts of character development they do give out are so rushed and random too; Sara's in particular was egregiously bad, popping up out of nowhere and having absolutely nothing to do with anything else that was happening on that mission. Even the antagonists, while fairly complex, are pretty static through the game. Even Crow, who was perfectly poised for a character arc where he embraces his love for his classmates despite his self-imposed obligation as leader of the ILF. Nope, turns out he was like that from the get-go, so there was no need for that character development in the first place. Alright.
  • The finale sequence was also kind of a joke. The whole "I was holding back the whole time" thing doesn't bother me a ton, but doing it three times in a row is silly. For McBurn? Sure, it'd be more disappointing if he didn't get that type of moment. But the other 4 did not need that at all, especially since there wasn't any reason to kill or apprehend them anyway (besides Bleublanc, but the Enforcers can just teleport away regardless). I guess it was nice to actually beat Crow, but that literally had to happen for the story to function.
  • Of course, the game doesn't stop at the finale. Credit where it's due, the story goes completely off the rails for a bit once Osborne finally shows up. I knew he wasn't dead (forgot that Azure outright spoils that lol) but I thought he was just in hiding, not puppeteering the entire war from the shadows. If there's one thing Trails does very well, it's making sure characters live up to the hype, and Osborne most certainly did that. Great way to reestablish himself as the primary antagonist of Erebonia, sucking the wind out of Class VII's sails entirely while simultaneously killing like 5 different birds with one Rufus-sized stone. Hard to not be impressed with his role here.
    • That moment also helped me understand why Class VII is so weirdly centrist in this game, despite exclusively fighting against the blatantly evil Noble Alliance. Osborne was (and I guess still is) the only reason why the Reformists were considered bad in the first place. Which worked in the first game, considering how everything revolved around him while the Noble Alliance was more spread out. Take Osborne out of the equation though, and there isn't a single reason to dislike the Reformists; they're entirely made up of good people doing good things. I wish the game had addressed that to some degree, instead of continuing the silly "well both sides are the same" shtick that was pretty clearly not true, even to Class VII themselves.
  • The Crossbell segment was awesome and easily my highlight of the game. Not just because of Lloyd and Rixia returning, but because it actually had emotional and political stakes involved. There's finally some consequences to Rean's actions, and he has to pay the price for them. There's pushback against the Reformists, and you have a reason to root against them. It's such a breath of fresh air after the main story was so milquetoast in those aspects, and it does a great job of setting up Rean and Erebonia for Cold Steel III. I'm still gonna take a long break, but that short segment alone bumped the game up a tier for me. I finally got the Azure epilogue I wanted.
  • On a more positive note, the gameplay here is excellent. Overdrive is a nice addition that complements the first game's combat quite nicely. Knight battles are fun but pretty mindless, especially once you realize that Sara is the most OP assistant in the game. The dungeons were much better, and breaking the game apart by the end is really satisfying. And most importantly, the treasure chest puns are some of the worst I've ever seen, I love them so much.
So that's that. Gonna take another Trails hibernation before I get into Cold Steel III, Cold Steel IV, and Reverie. Heard mixed things about IV but a lot of positivity for the other two, so I'm excited.
This is pretty much how I felt about it, too. The civil war is oddly off-screen and kind of pointless, there are way too many unwinnable battles and “I was holding back” situations, along with another pet peeve of mine, being - why does nobody ever kill anyone? It’s always like “whelp we won, we could finish you off and save ourselves a world of problems later on, but nah, we’ll just let you go because… reasons?” It felt like most of the game was filler and trying to come up with reasons to revisit places so they could pad out the game length before getting to the only plot points that really matter at the end.

That probably comes across too negative because I still enjoyed it, but it’s way behind CS1 and Zero for me. From what I’ve heard CS3 will be much more up my alley so I’m looking forward to that one at some point, but I want to play Azure first.

Does anyone else here collect the figures? I just got Fie today.

tUfXvlV.jpg

HFQMMLf.jpg

yOgPr8x.jpg

iQ6VUem.jpg

(Excuse the cheap Android camera quality lol)

My most anticipated figure is Estelle (planning to get a cabinet, out of space on this desk lmao) and my most wanted figure is Shizuna as she is my favorite Kuro character (and also is best Trails girl lol)

tUfXvlV.jpg

HFQMMLf.jpg

yOgPr8x.jpg

iQ6VUem.jpg

My most anticipated figure is Estelle (planning to get a cabinet, out of space on this desk lmao) and my most wanted figure is Shizuna as she is my favorite Kuro character (and also is best Trails girl lol)
That looks rad! Wish I had more money for figures, I’d definitely get Estelle and then Renne, Altina, Fie, and Rean from those.

tUfXvlV.jpg

HFQMMLf.jpg

yOgPr8x.jpg

iQ6VUem.jpg

I've cut down on my overall figure collecting because I don't have much space left for them but I am 100% gonna try and get Estelle at some point

Falcom Working on Remaking an Old Game, Says President Kondo:

Wants to complete Kai no Kiseki as soon as possible so they can devote themselves to this remake.

It's a game beloved among many employees who joined Falcom because of it.

Trails in the Sky remake, here we go.

Yeah, given how much they’ve talked about it, that seems like a lock. Wonder how extensive it’ll be, and if it’ll be the whole trilogy. Doesn’t make much sense to remake just one game.

I kind of don't want a remake... Just touch them up like Zero and Azure, I feel those look as good as that style can look. A remake would change so much, which I don't feel is necessary.

Regardless of how they turn out I'm usually all for remakes ahahah. I'm just a sucker for visuals in games, but Sky? No reason to re-do it. Literally anything else would be a better use of Falcom's time. (Ys V when?)

If you remake FC might as well do the whole trilogy, meaning a ton of resources going into something that will only lead to folks having to play through a dated looking Crossbell (for a casual player I mean), and then? Funnel them right through CS 1&2, some of the ugliest 3D games by a mid-sized developers out there. Like, maybe if the whole saga were over I'd understand a FC-SC remake duo as a final hurrah. I'd be into that! But right now? Naaah.

Also Kondo's wilding:

I'm still 4 games in, Azure is up next sometime in February, but hearing the man say that the series is going from 70 to 90% complete in a single game is hard to not read as waving a white flag. Really sounds like they're cutting things short, maybe axing an entire arc and reworking things around. Jury's still out on whether it will be good for the games' pacing or not though, so might as well take things as they are.

I do not believe Kondo's estimates at all lol. They've always been inconsistent if you ask me.

I do not believe Kondo's estimates at all lol. They've always been inconsistent if you ask me.
Fair! Could definitely be a bunch of nothing, though the rest of the interview/s add some extra context.

Lifted straight from this reddit post so all credit goes to u/Due_Engineering2284.

[Regarding Kai and Trails]
  • Kai no Kiseki will be a bit like Trails into Reverie but also a bit like Trails through Daybreak 3. It will mark the start of the climax for the Trails series and the end of the Republic arc. After the development of Trails through Daybreak 2, the president told the team "Stop padding out the story, we need to finish this so get moving!" And so they decided to call this game Kai no Kiseki instead of Trails through Daybreak 3.
  • Kai no Kiseki will be the 90% point of the entire Trails series. Players will be able to see the entire Zemurian continent and get answers to many unsolved mysteries. Players will get the feeling that "the series is finally about to end."
  • Falcom plans to put the Trails series on all platforms to reduce the barrier of entry. (Pretty much hinting at the remake/port of Sky trilogy.)
  • Falcom is preparing a game dedicated to introducing new players to the Trails series.
[Misc. Falcom stuff]
  • Falcom is satisfied with Ys X Nordics sales on the Switch. The game has done better in Asia than in Japan. Ys X has brought in more new players than Ys VIII did.
  • More than half of the new hires from last year were Chinese.
  • Falcom has entered the conceptual phase for the next Ys title, they also have other plans for the series.
  • Falcom will announce a new PS4/5 port of a highly demanded title (most likely Ys: The Oath in Felghana Switch port) this year.
  • Falcom plans to release information about a new game that is neither Trails nor Ys during the Falcom anniversary in March.
  • Falcom is planning for a remake and they hope to share the information some time this year in addition to the announcement in March. Many employees joined the company after playing this game and they want to finish Kai no Kiseki as soon as possible so they can work on this project.
Source 1
Source 2

This second half is quite interesting too. I love how their development pipeline is simultaneously out in the open and completely impossible to parse lol.

Kondo percentages are worthless, but I wouldn’t be surprised if Kai is the penultimate game. One more big finale, and then maybe an epilogue to close things out seems right. Maybe a full three game arc to close it out if we’re lucky.

If i had to bet, i would say that after Kai we'll get a 3 game final arc + a post-ending "everyone is here" fanservice game in the vein of 3rd and Reverie.

It's going to years away still, especially if the Sky trilogy will get a remake first. I'm curious to see how they will handle that though, will they just remake it into 3 games or release a single entry for FC and SC and skip 3rd?
i'm pretty skeptical that a Sky remake wouldn't just end up being a worse game personally

I think it's pretty difficult to improve on them with changes and much easier to mess things up

Yeah, i'm not that excited by it either.

I don't look forward to hear how they are going to butcher the soundtrack, for a start...

Wow, a thread for the best game series ever made.

I can see them doing a final arc after Kai if they trim the fat and focus on the plot.

I see mixed reactions to the Falcom news and even doomerisms that it's "They're done with Kiseki as a whole because Kuro didn't perform as they wanted"...

Personally all this news is very exciting to me and I definitely don't mind Kai being told through a Reverie style format. Also we were at "70%" for a very long time, could be stuck at 90% for some time too lol.

I'm also curious on how they're working on so many games because Kuro 2 kind of came across to me as being rushed and that being a sign that one game a year isn't working, so I'm wondering how they are -increasing- that number.

The part about putting Trails games on all platforms is interesting because I'm hoping Kai no Kiseki is day 1 PC. I hope to buy it there and also import the usual collector's edition lol.

The doomposting feels very silly to me because Trails is literally their flagship series. Plus Falcom releases a financial report every six months and they seem to be doing fine. Domestic sales are down but international sales are up and they're not losing money.

I think it's good they're releasing a game that will advance the story significantly after Kuro 2 which barely moved the needle.

I see mixed reactions to the Falcom news and even doomerisms that it's "They're done with Kiseki as a whole because Kuro didn't perform as they wanted"...

Personally all this news is very exciting to me and I definitely don't mind Kai being told through a Reverie style format. Also we were at "70%" for a very long time, could be stuck at 90% for some time too lol.

I'm also curious on how they're working on so many games because Kuro 2 kind of came across to me as being rushed and that being a sign that one game a year isn't working, so I'm wondering how they are -increasing- that number.

The part about putting Trails games on all platforms is interesting because I'm hoping Kai no Kiseki is day 1 PC. I hope to buy it there and also import the usual collector's edition lol.
To be honest the only way to enjoy being a Falcom fan online is not paying attention to what most people in the "fanbase" think and just play the games on your own terms.

I also would rather Kai not be PC day one. We need PH3 to continue doing Falcom PC ports.

i'm pretty skeptical that a Sky remake wouldn't just end up being a worse game personally

I think it's pretty difficult to improve on them with changes and much easier to mess things up
You'll always have the originals

But a remake that brings a lot of modern qol improvements, full voice acting, and can fix some of the early continuity issues would be great for getting people into this series.

I finished CS4 and I will sit on the game for a couple of days (got to finish Another Code). But I think I understand some of the sentiment of this particular entry.

Back
Top Bottom