• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Pre-Release Kirby and the Forgotten Land - Pre-Release Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
The rating description sounds like a back-of-the-box blurb advertisement lol.

As usual, no doubt the ESRB haven't seen most of the stuff that happens late game, as Kirby games continue to sneak crap past the radar that should rightfully easily land it a much higher rating :LOL:

It’s about time to talk about that ESRB rating in here.

After many requests, American Kirby is finally here as the newest copy ability!
it's real
879759_bjplay55544_kirby-ain-t-playing-games-anymore.png

doesn't the ESRB rating mean it could be kind of soon? I had all my chips on the April anniversary but they may try to get it out to boost the fiscal year

Maybe I should go and finish Star Allies before this comes out...

Probably the only time I can think of where a Kirby game couldn't interest me long enough to finish it. At least I got it for cheap!

how do you live like this
I played the demo and felt the same. 30 fps and noticeable loading transitions was jarring after playing the other games in the series. The level design also felt basic even for Kirby standards.

For a series that I thought was already becoming a bit sluggish in its moment to moment gameplay, it was an easy pass.

Maybe I should go and finish Star Allies before this comes out...

Probably the only time I can think of where a Kirby game couldn't interest me long enough to finish it. At least I got it for cheap!
It's fine, the real game begins when you finish the main game.

That's when you can just play as Marx, and only Marx.

I am very shallow. I didn't buy it because it's 30 fps
Good to know I’m not alone. I can accept a 30 fps game, but it just seemed like a really safe game, like they weren’t even trying to make it interesting, so it being 30 fps on top of that just made me ignore it completely.

I am more excited for this new game even though I think it’s possible it won’t have the best performance it could have.

Not too put off by the fixed camera. This is really Kirby 3D world mixed with the cappy mechanic, which sounds amazing. Hopefully they have some cool side games with that mechanic.

The camera doesn’t bother me. 3D World is one of my favorite Mario games ever and that had super limited camera movement. This Kirby does more with having a hub town to build up and upgradeable abilities.

I buy 30 fps games, but Kirby seemed like a miserable experience

30 fps plus loading screens within levels just did not seem worth it
Here is my two cents on Allies. If you have someone to play with, it is a very good time. Solo, not so much for the main campaign. But co-op? It is incredibly fun.

This game looks so gorgeous and creative.

I'm a long time Kirby fan, I know the series is almost always good at its worst and even occasionally great at times, but even I am sitting here thinking, "This is a Kirby game?!"

And now Kirby has gone full action game with a dodge move.
I wonder if the "Witch Time" after the dodge is only for the Ranger ability or if that's standard. Since they only showed off the effect with Ranger but you can see the dodge itself in other places

The more I see this game the more I'm convinced EPD Tokyo helped. I don't get, how HAL managed such a big gap otherwise.

PS: First post on Famiboards yeah! Lovely site design!
You know, I was thinking the same thing. This oozes "Nintendo Magic" and gives off the same vibes as the very best 3D Mario games. It's also such an enormous jump artistically, technically and gameplay-wise from Star Allies that it's kinda hard to believe that it's the same team.

This looks absolutely incredible. I hope the game reaches a mass audience, ticks every single box of what I wanted from a 3D Kirby.

This looks absolutely incredible. I hope the game reaches a mass audience, ticks every single box of what I wanted from a 3D Kirby.
You saying “mass audience” reminded me of how good Mass Attack was and how nobody probably played that since it was such a late DS release. The best Kirby games are the more experimental so I have a lot of hope for this one.

You saying “mass audience” reminded me of how good Mass Attack was and how nobody probably played that since it was such a late DS release. The best Kirby games are the more experimental so I have a lot of hope for this one.
I don't think that is even considered anything special by the Kirby fans. But I also think it is one of the best Kirby games.

I'm pretty excited for this game, I feel like Star Allies kind of died in order for this to exist due to how painfully average it was coming off from the 3DS games. I really hope this one returns to the quality of those or higher because they were excellent. I've wanted Kirby to enter the 3D space for as long as 3D was mainstream so I really hope it's a breakout hit for the series to finally enter a more relevant size userbase.

How much do Kirby games usually sell compared to other Nintendo franchises?
The original Kirby on the GB sold around 5 million copies. Since then, Kirby games tend to sell between 1-3 million.

How much do Kirby games usually sell compared to other Nintendo franchises?
Something like 2 million or so for the mainline games, so not that much. I think Star Allies was the highest selling one in awhile and that hit around 3. They are lower budget games easy to pump out, the series tapered off really fast with the first game in the series still being the record holder (by a good bit, around 5 million I think?). This is the first time the series really has a chance to exceed that, it's painfully obvious that the series was severely harmed by the first entry due to how basic and short it was and I don't think it ever really recovered. A move to 3D though can definitely get people looking again, I just hope they don't botch it as it would once again damage the series potential.

The more I see this game the more I'm convinced EPD Tokyo helped. I don't get, how HAL managed such a big gap otherwise.

HAL has always been capable, they just never bothered to make a 3D game. on the tech side they shown that they can move with systems quite well, unlike Game Freak

Wow, how big are these levels? Are they broken down into smaller levels like the old Kirby games, or is each area one giant level like the Mario 64?
Based on the world map screen we've seen glimpses of, it seems like they're broken down into levels like previous Kirby titles

But they do seem like pretty chonky levels

Wow, how big are these levels? Are they broken down into smaller levels like the old Kirby games, or is each area one giant level like the Mario 64?
we don't really have a clear answer on the structure yet, but the way the world map is laid out seems to hint at the former. even if they are large, the levels look to be very linear, in traditional kirby fashion

This has GOTY potential (for me personally at least) - just ticks every box and every trailer it’s looking even better. Can’t wait!

You realize that HAL already had practice with 3D Kirby a few years back.

You realize that HAL already had practice with 3D Kirby a few years back.

It's still a huge gap IMO. We're talking mainline 3D Mario production level here.

Yeah the leap forward on display here is spectacular, I have trouble thinking of another series off the top of my head that has made such a substantial jump in a single entry before.

It looks to shatter my expectations in just about every department, and said expectations were not low. They seem to have done the extra mile in just about every department, pushing the envelope without losing touch with what makes Kirby appealing.

If all goes well, this may be a very latecomer to the club of "best transitions to 3D".

Yeah, I never was much of a fan of the traditional platformers. Canvas/rainbow curse, mass attack, super star are my favorites.
Hear, hear. My favorite Kirby games too. I like how experimental HAL got with the little pink fluffball.

HAL also seems to be going all out on Forgotten Land. It’s not just Kirby in 3D. It’s set in a post-apocalyptic world with malls and amusement parks, there are cinematic setpieces, there’s a hub world with shops and mini-games, Mouthful Mode, there’s just a lot to chew on here. Cannot wait.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom