• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Pre-Release Kirby and the Forgotten Land - Pre-Release Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

In the most recent Nintendo Direct, Kirby's first 3D platformer was announced. It is scheduled for a Spring 2022 release.

Screenshots:

screenshot02

screenshot03

screenshot04

screenshot05

screenshot06

screenshot07

screenshot08

screenshot09

screenshot10

I've wanted 3D Kirby for 25 years and I am so excited to be finally getting it. Looks like a great first installment and more 3D platformers are always welcome.

I really hope this game delivers. It could be a huge step for the franchise!

Happy to finally see a 3D Kirby game. It will be great like all the other games, you can count on it

Oh gosh, how could I have forgotten the most exciting announcement from the greatest Direct? I can't wait to see more of this, and it very well could prove my favorite Switch exclusive.

Waiting since the Gamecube era for this game. Second Kirby game that I buy day one after Kirby Epic Yarn.

I just wanted a 2D Kirby that was more creative than Star Allies, and I would be happy with that.

A 3D Kirby, though? I went from “I’ll get it someday” to “I’ll get it day 1”.

Definitely looking forward to this. I'm eager to see which powers they try to translate to 3D and what new ones they end up adding as well.

Looks sort of like Super Mario 3D World. I wonder if now being in the same building as EPD Tokyo gave them access to the Super Mario 3D World engine.

Yeah, it's been a really, really long time since I've bought a Kirby game, but I've always enjoyed the games and the character itself. But I may very well pick this one up on launch day.

It'd be nice if the game allowed online coop in the main game, to recapture that feel Kirby Super Star had back in the day (I have a sibling living in Japan right now, we're always trying to find games to play together), but I doubt the game will have this feature unfortunately.

My most-anticipated game for 2022 so far (and there aren't many things that can overtake it). I love the Kirby series (look at my avatar and tag), but for the longest time i've wanted HAL to at least attempt a 3D installment; Blowout Blast and Battle Royale were the stepping stones, and here we are now.

It isn't even new for the series! We know what Earth looks like in the Kirby universe after all...

K64_ShiverStar.png
300px-K64_Shiver_Star_Stage_3_screenshot_03.png
K64_Shiver_Star_Stage_4_screenshot_01.png

It's amazing how endearing this looks, have no real preference for 3d platformers, but I can admit it was time for Kirby to try something after Star Allies was basically a love letter to all things Kirby past.

A 3D Kirby game was a game I knew I wanted. A 3D Kirby game set in stunning modern abandoned places, though? That's the game I didn't know I needed.

So far, it's pretty neat to see how well the formula of the 2D games is captured here. Gameplay wise, this looks like Kirby...but in 3D, which is something I'm all for.

Do you think this game will be individual stages like Mario 3D World or it will be an interconnected world with a semi-linear level structure like Dark Souls for example?.

It isn't even new for the series! We know what Earth looks like in the Kirby universe after all...

K64_ShiverStar.png
300px-K64_Shiver_Star_Stage_3_screenshot_03.png
K64_Shiver_Star_Stage_4_screenshot_01.png
But can we be sure that we're on Shiver Star (again), is my big question.

I'd love to get more Dark Matter Trilogy-isms back into the fold, after the last few games were large teases of such (the Animal Friends appearing again, Gooey, random Bosses making overt callbacks to Dark Matter, itself, etc.). But it always seemed like they were holding back from just going all in.

Maybe this being something on the horizon was what they were waiting for...

Speaking of 3D World comparisons, I'm wondering if this this game will have fixed camera placement or a directly controllable camera.

Can't, can't, can't wait ! Kirby is one of my favorite franchise. This is going to be so good.

Do you think this game will be individual stages like Mario 3D World or it will be an interconnected world with a semi-linear level structure like Dark Souls for example?.
Definitely 3D World style imo. The scenes we see are very linear, not open, and look how the camera works. It automatically turns around depending on where Kirby is. You don't seem to fully control it.

I like the abandoned concrete jungle vibe.

When the trailer washed up on my screen, I think Nintendo deliberately wanted you to have a rolodex of guesses as to what it could be. They do this a lot (and fairly well in my opinion). I wrongly guessed DK.

I'm expecting a relaxing game, basking in Nintendo being Nintendo basically. I hope the soundtrack is good.

Looks sort of like Super Mario 3D World. I wonder if now being in the same building as EPD Tokyo gave them access to the Super Mario 3D World engine.
I would bet this is pretty unlikely, and also unnecessary. A lot of Nintendo's internal games use the same engine, named (perhaps colloquially) LunchPack; Splatoon 2 and Mario Maker 2 both use LunchPack 2, if I recall correctly. The engine used doesn't define a game's content or even necessarily its style. Unity for example has so many different lighting systems that can be licensed and plugged in.

I think part of the current notion of how engines impact a game could be attributed to Unreal Engine 4, which has fantastic lighting built in, as well as many classes for different types of game objects and tools for terrain features. This comes together to make Unreal games look and feel somewhat similar sometimes, but even this isn't inevitable.

The most hype announcement of the last Direct for me. I think "open world Kirby" has been on my Direct bingo cards for like a year and a half now, because I was desperately trying to will it into existence. It's a dream come true for me.

Okay it's not exactly open world, but an open-ended, huge 3D Kirby game.

SO excited !!

Kirby is one of my favorite franchises ever and I was hoping for a 3D one for a while. If this comes close to the charm and design of the 2D ones, I'll be a happy camper.

Played Air Ride online back in March and said they should make a city trial single player game. Hopefully you can build the dragoon/hydra in this 🙏

my biggest fear is that they don't take advantage of the move to 3D and the exploration is a bit limited

This is going to be GLORIOUS!! I've been on a kirby kick lately, so this announcement was everything i didn't know i wanted.

I wonder if we'll find out what the deal is with that butterfly

Been dreaming of a Kirby game like this for 15 years now. I'm so hopeful that this knocks it out of the park!

The thing I am most worried about is like a lot of more "open environment" Switch games, it's going to end up being a jaggy and muddy mess.

Looks alright but where is Kirby Tilt 'n Tumble 2?

(I'm kidding I'm very excited for this too)

My only negative reaction with the announcement was seeing the words ‘Spring 2022’. Though with Nintendo’s coverage of 1st party titles leading up to release date, I’m looking forward to all the Kirby goodness.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom