• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Discussion Kirby and the Forgotten Land demo available now + new overview trailer (UPDATE: previews are out, see threadmarks)

Status
Not open for further replies.
The opening reminds me of Crash Bandicoot, washing up on the beach and then walking into a jungle. Wonder if it's an intentional homage to one of the earliest course-based 3D platformers lol.

Also interesting that absorbing enemies with power-ups seems to cause you to swallow them by default.

20220303-093120.jpg
99% sure that's not Kirby which I was talking about... but thanks I guess

The opening reminds me of Crash Bandicoot, washing up on the beach and then walking into a jungle. Wonder if it's an intentional homage to one of the earliest course-based 3D platformers lol.

Also interesting that absorbing enemies with power-ups seems to cause you to swallow them by default.
there is an auto swallow option (i think) in the menu, which, as an aside, just seems like further proof that this is a fetish game

Oh also I'm putting it out there now that this is the DK game that's been rumoured. Wires crossed situation.
Confusing an EPD developed DK game with a Hal developed Kirby would be...something

Besides the theory that Star Fox Grand Prix was confused with Starlink DLC (which I believe has been debunked by many of the people who reported on Grand Prix) wires are not usually crossed to that extent.

The demo is fun as hell. The only time I remember having fun with a Kirby game was Canvas Curse, but this one is going to be something else. It's easy but the little secrets and collectibles and the amount of power ups will make this a lot of fun to play. Haven't tried the co op yet but I guess I can play this with my 4 year old daughter as well.

as expected, this is the final form of blowout blast

which is pretty great, even though it seems like abilities might end up being really basic, even with the upgraded forms available

Maybe the only info someone knew was that there was a 3D platformer being developed by a studio whose name was 3 letters and the main character had a K on its name.

IT'S FEASIBLE.
Ah yes the word game method of insider information

I always knew Nate was just a player on "Wheel of Nintendo Insider Information"

How could anyone reasonably confuse DK with Kirby haha.
Hello?
Hi Insider, it's me, Source! I got the latest Nintendo scoop!
Great, what is it?
There's going to be a new 3D Kirby game coming to Switch!
Huh? You're breaking up, can you repeat that?
There's going to be a new 3D Kirby game coming to Switch!
Wow, a new DK game coming to Switch! Thanks for the tip, I'm off to Twitter!
No, wait -
CLICK

the demo is amazing! as if i could be more excited for the full game.

also the foliage interaction is on point

Maybe the only info someone knew was that there was a 3D platformer being developed by a studio whose name was 3 letters and the main character had a K on its name.

IT'S FEASIBLE.
Really, completely honest mistake. Plus they both like food so, you know, they really are the same characters

Looking forward to more butterfly lore being revealed with full release

Mad excited for this one. So happy for the first 3D Kirby title. Kind of bummed it's not full exploration 3D, but considering I fucking love the "on rails" (so to speak) Mario 3D titles, I'm still hyped as hell.

lol, i feel like the video at the end of the demo spoiled the whole game
I think there's still some things like the Beast Pack's leader and
The butterfly being brought there along with Kirby and co.

Played the demo for five minutes, then promptly deleted it

….because now I know I’m buying this bad boy at launch

The mouthful abilities were fun, but the rest felt like a big step down from 2D Kirby for me. Even just comparing Switch demos, Star Allies’ was much more interesting.

Maybe I need to replay the demo but does anyone else feel like the game actually looks a little bit worse than we've seen from recent trailers? It's a bit odd since with Nintendo games Youtube compression often fucks them up but if anything the image quality seems a tad worse than I was expecting. Some parts look a bit blurry and the fact that they overuse the depth of field effect is a bit eh. Was also surprised how low-poly important details like the giant enemy turtle's mouth are. Not very jaggy though for a Switch game so that's good.

Still hyped for the game! Really fun demo and I'm excited to pick this up.

I had a lot of fun with the demo! The wait for the 25th is going to be long and hard! Definitely going to replay it so I can try out the enhanced weapons.

I also noticed the butterfly flew/got sucked into the vortex in the intro video. Morpho Knight fight in the arena incoming?

So, uh. Demo Good.

While it has taken a while, and it has had many evolutionary steps to get to this point, but the final result feels so natural. Like, this is Kirby...in 3D! And it works pretty much exactly how you would expect, and I mean that in the best possible way. We got two early levels and the first boss, so of course it's pretty easy, but nothing out of the ordinary for Kirby. It's still engaging and that's the important part.

I like how the levels have side missions besides getting to the end that involve exploring the levels! I like how modern Kirby has had puzzles and extra collectibles tied to those things (something Star Allies toned down and I never really understood why?) and their implementation here is wonderful. Both traditional "find extra hidden Waddle Dees" and finding things and secret locations in levels. More engagement, I love it.

A couple of notes on Kirby's mechanics:
  • The float has been massively toned down. It doesn't give much height and it eventually causes you to fall. It feels pretty well balanced. More like a double jump. Still gives lots of leeway for players while not breaking a 3D space wide open.
  • Kirby's dodge mechanic is way faster and very flexible. It's this two part hop, and you can go right into an aerial attack with the second hop. I can't wait to see skilled players mess with that for the inevitable boss rush mode.
  • Mouthful Mode is a Robobot Armor tier addition to Kirby's roster, a great expansion to the mechanics that fits the character but doesn't trivialize the usual copy ability system. Can't wait to try out some of the ones you see later in the game.
  • The demo lets you try out some of the enhanced copy abilities. All of them I tried were great. Cannot wait to see the rest.
This game's gonna be super fun. Can't wait.

Great demo. I was surprised by the length of the non-boss levels. When I fought the Gigant Edge I thought for sure that was the end of the level, but there was a whole section after it. Definitely longer levels than 3D World, and more to do in them.

Great demo. I was surprised by the length of the non-boss levels. When I fought the Gigant Edge I thought for sure that was the end of the level, but there was a whole section after it. Definitely longer levels than 3D World, and more to do in them.
Yeah, while I love the open direction the linear 3D Mario branch has gone with Bowser's Fury, this would be a great way to evolve it if they went back to strict linearity. Dense levels filled with interaction. Admittedly Kirby always lent itself more to that, and Mario's more about fast, kinetic movement, but I can see the potential.

I also noticed the butterfly flew/got sucked into the vortex in the intro video. Morpho Knight fight in the arena incoming?
Ever since Return to Dreamland we always have a Knight fight (heh) in the True Arena or in a bonus mode:
RtD: Galacta Knight
TD: Dark Meta Knight
PR: Galacta Knight
SA: Morpho Knight
It's possible that this time we'll see the third knight

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom