• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Rumour Jeff Grubb: Metroid Prime 2 Remastered coming "relatively soonish", and "Something unrelated to TotK is happening with Zelda later this year"

TPHD isn't anything like MPR. It's just drop-in replacements for higher res versions of textures, a few extra polys on specific models, and new lighting. Personally I don't see that happening for Prime 2 or 3, and I think a Hagi rerelease would be more likely if Nintendo wasn't interested in a major remaster, but that's not really the point. The point is that TPHD is a "simple" remaster and MPR is a "remake-level" one and there simply is no in-between, but Grubb and others who claim to know what's happening are still saying there is. They don't say it will just be a simple HD reskin, but that it will be like MPR but "less effort." And that doesn't make any sense.
But... That's exactly what I said?? It's nowhere near MPR, because it's a simple remaster and MPR is a 1:1 remake.
What I said is that it can be that they rework the textures and maybe the lighting while leaving the geometry intact (or reworking some models maybe) instead of just making the game HD and call it a day like Galaxy/Sunshine.
But I don't disregard the possibility of Hagi ports. I for sure expect Hagi ports more than anything close to MPR. I think Pikmin 1 + 2 already did something better than the 3D All Stars with the AI upscaled textures and some new assets for treasures. If they feel like doing Hagi ports and adding high res textures I'll be happy.
I imagine something closer to Xenoblade definitive edition?
That was certainly lower effort than MPR, retaining the old maps but replaced character models.

It's more effort than a texture replacement remaster like Twilight Princess but less tha Metroid Prime.
I have to rewatch the DF video to remember but I feel like it was another 1:1 remake effort? Or they just replaced the character models and maintained some of the textures or the world building geometry?

I think we get tricked with this because the resolution the game gets makes it look rough and it doesn't have the same level of texture fidelity or complex lighting like MPR.

But if anything XBCDE might be a higher effort if we consider it's a semi open world game and it added a whole new 12h+ campaign. MPR has gone for a 1:1 remake and invested high in fidelity and visuals so we get super impressed by that.

I think the 3DS Zelda remakes tho do that of remaking every single character model but leave the terrain and some of the world mostly keeping the N64 build while reworking the geometry and making new textures?

I'm sure there is some case of a remaster where they made new characters models but left the world the same but with new textures.

Wind Waker HD for instance looks stunning to this day but because the game aged super well and the new lighting made it look like a modern game. In some videos it does seem like they gave a rework and made Link higher poly but I can be just that the shading is better and the lighting makes everything glow.

Quoted by: LiC
I was talking about what I'd expect for MP2 if it's remade like the first and used TP HD as a reference. But since you mentioned it, I honestly think we are getting a straight Wii U port of TP HD no extra work.
Yeah I'm not expecting anything more than a port of the Wii u without the touchscreen. I'm just saying I wish it got the XBDE treatment with the models. The visuals are an eye sore.

People can be snobby about others expectations now all they like, but before we got numbers, the vast majority of the forum thought it would do a lot better than 1m. Given how front loaded sales like this are, it's probably not going to get to 2m. It was a 1.09m in almost 2 months anyway (51 days), not a month.

our expectations don't mean shit. Nintendo's expectations for their own product is what matters, and all we can infer from the price and method of release is their's weren't too high

People can be snobby about others expectations now all they like, but before we got numbers, the vast majority of the forum thought it would do a lot better than 1m. Given how front loaded sales like this are, it's probably not going to get to 2m. It was a 1.09m in almost 2 months anyway (51 days), not a month.

Those people aren't Nintendo, there expectations mean jack shit As long as Nintendo is happy with the numbers

It's wild that people think MP2's direction could be determined by MPR's sales. If MP2 is happening soon-ish, and/or you believe you the previous leaks about MPR and future plans, those decisions were made years ago. There's also no reason to believe Nintendo think MPR's sales were bad, purely projection, but even if they were, they've got nothing to do with MP2.

What I said is that it can be that they rework the textures and maybe the lighting while leaving the geometry intact (or reworking some models maybe) instead of just making the game HD and call it a day like Galaxy/Sunshine.
That's not in between TPHD and MPR. That's just TPHD. And like I said, Grubb and the other people who keep pushing the "less effort" narrative are not describing TPHD, they're describing an in-between that doesn't exist.

Those people aren't Nintendo, there expectations mean jack shit As long as Nintendo is happy with the numbers
This is exactly why I got so annoyed with people who acted like Samus Returns was a huge commercial bomb when the only official word we ever got about sales numbers is that Nintendo considered them "firm", as in, they met Nintendo's expectations.

It's wild that people think MP2's direction could be determined by MPR's sales. If MP2 is happening soon-ish, and/or you believe you the previous leaks about MPR and future plans, those decisions were made years ago. There's also no reason to believe Nintendo think MPR's sales were bad, purely projection, but even if they were, they've got nothing to do with MP2.

That's not in between TPHD and MPR. That's just TPHD. And like I said, Grubb and the other people who keep pushing the "less effort" narrative are not describing TPHD, they're describing an in-between that doesn't exist.

? It seems literally possible for Metroid Prime 2 R to be made by an external dev that makes the games from the ground up, but doesn't use as much manpower and thus cuts more corners with lighting and texture work and optimization so the game ends up looking worse than MPR.

(I would also assume any game made in a similar fashion to TPHD would end up looking better than TPHD as NVIDIA's texture program has surely improved a ton in the last 8 years)

Im in the middle of replaying link between worlds. The only zelda I’d want right now is a brand new original 2d zelda. I still have so, so much to do in totk

I think it's delusional to expect any actual remasters for MP2, MP3. I think it's realistic to expect a port of the 16:9 wii editions upscaled. Just like Galaxy, and PIkmin 1+2. Prime 1 got the higher budget treatment, but no way the rest follow anything other than quick budget ports if at all.
Speaking of galaxy, why the heck can’t I play galaxy 2 on my switch? Nintendos handling of those 3d mario re releases was poor

This. If the plan was from the start to have the other games made by other teams later, MPR success or lack of it wouldn't bear anything on it.

They had MPR ready for a year when they released it, if MP2/3 are to be released in the near future, they've probably entered development before MPR even released.

And with Nintendo releasing... Everybody 1-2 Switch, I think that even if MPR was a failure(which it wasn't, 1M in 1.5 month for a niche franchise, with a shadowdropped digital release and limited physical availability is anything but a failure), they'd still release MP2/3 instead of cancelling them.

I think that whatever comes was the plan from the start.
I wasn't talking of an in between TPHD and MPR, I was talking of an in between just an upres and MPR, which TPHD would be.
But if you mean a thing between a simple remaster and a visual remake, then yeah, I don't think that's happening either.
I think it'll be an effort like that of TPHD/WWHD/TLOU Remastered, as in just reworked textures/lighting and higher resolution.
? It seems literally possible for Metroid Prime 2 R to be made by an external dev that makes the games from the ground up, but doesn't use as much manpower and thus cuts more corners with lighting and texture work and optimization so the game ends up looking worse than MPR.

(I would also assume any game made in a similar fashion to TPHD would end up looking better than TPHD as NVIDIA's texture program has surely improved a ton in the last 8 years)
I think MP2/3 getting the same effort as TP HD would make it still look super better, if anything because those games aged way better than TP HD did.
TP HD did look like it did because TP looked the way it did. It was super impressive because it was "realistic Zelda" and very edgy and dark and SD. HD made its flaws super clear, like character modelling not being high poly, the world map being bland, lighting not being that great and etc.
Wind Waker HD received about the same effort, but the bloom lighting and the cel shading and the stylized look made it age super well and shine like it was a modern game.
Skyward Sword HD arguably received way less effort in visuals(because it got heavy rework on controls and 60FPS), maintaining the same textures but filtering them, but still looks WAY better than TP HD because it aged better.
Speaking of galaxy, why the heck can’t I play galaxy 2 on my switch? Nintendos handling of those 3d mario re releases was poor
I have a crazy prediction in my mind that Nintendo next year is gonna announce Galaxy 2 Remastered and Galaxy 1.5 for Switch before the release of the next 3D Mario for Switch 2.

But I feel like they're gonna release the 3D All Stars games separately on the eShop for 30$ each.

Obvious answer is because they are saving Galaxy 2 for when they sell Mario 3D All Stars 2 with Galaxy 2, 3D World + BF, and Odyssey.

And then physical stock was immediately selling out.
This lol.

Of course, Nintendo knew they could have sold much more if they did proper marketing but for some reason they didn't feel like doing it. IDK the reasons maybe they didn't want the trilogy getting too much of the spotlight for fear of driving away possible new fans.

Belmont said that nintendo was looking for replacements for retro and that mp1r would be used as a basis.

So i think this might be right.
And in the end it's what happened in MPR, didn't credits mention other studios too?
What i think its wild is that there are people who really think Nintendo had any expectation for this, when they sold it for 40 and as a shadowdrop.
I will never understand Nintendo approach on MPR.
Sure if it was just an HD version like Pikmin shadow dropping was pretty fine.
But they just casually went ahead and said "We just remade the graphics on one of our most critically acclaimed games"
No it's not that it would sell 5 millions if they had hyped ot before but should have given it a better chance imo.
It could have received a bigger spotlight shown before plus maybe put a demo for newcomers (demo should be at Talon btw)

I imagine something closer to Xenoblade definitive edition?
That was certainly lower effort than MPR, retaining the old maps but replaced character models.

It's more effort than a texture replacement remaster like Twilight Princess but less tha Metroid Prime.
I wouldn't say adding a whole post-campaign is lower effort...

No it's not that it would sell 5 millions if they had hyped ot before but should have given it a better chance imo.
i like that you have to address this because certain people will assume exactly that lol.

It could have received a bigger spotlight shown before plus maybe put a demo for newcomers (demo should be at Talon btw)
Like i said, it probably was to not get too much attention from now fans, a treat to fans (it did sell 1,1 million) but not something that would make non fans think they need to play it for mp4 i guess.

And in the end it's what happened in MPR, didn't credits mention other studios too?
Im not sure i understood what you meant. Yes but belmont was very specific that this was for 2 and 3 lol

Switch 2 will also need some cheap ass remasters of classics to fill the schedule gaps. No need to dump all the classics on a single system.

Switch 2 will also need some cheap ass remasters of classics to fill the schedule gaps. No need to dump all the classics on a single system.
Right. We’re not going to get everything on one system. People keep asking for Ocarina of Time remake for Switch. That doesn’t favor Nintendo to do every remake or remaster under the sun for Switch. You need to save stuff for future systems. An Ocarina of Time and Earthbound remakes can come for the next system.

Im not sure i understood what you meant. Yes but belmont was very specific that this was for 2 and 3 lol
I mean that in the end it's possible that Retro got their hands full with MP4 so they decided to outsource the rest of whatever work was left at that point.

And btw kinda unrelated but I think the reason MP4 is taking that long is that it's gonna be the BotW of Metroid. It's gonna be big, it will have a vast world and some fans won't like it but it will attract a lot of newcomers. If I'm not mistaken, that's what they wanted to do with MP3 but changed it when they saw Wii had limited power.

I mean that in the end it's possible that Retro got their hands full with MP4 so they decided to outsource the rest of whatever work was left at that point.

And btw kinda unrelated but I think the reason MP4 is taking that long is that it's gonna be the BotW of Metroid. It's gonna be big, it will have a vast world and some fans won't like it but it will attract a lot of newcomers. If I'm not mistaken, that's what they wanted to do with MP3 but changed it when they saw Wii had limited power.

MP3 was never going to be open world. It was simply going to allow Samus to do some sidequests taking on actual bounties. But that's not what Tanabe/Nintendo wanted so they changed course. Had nothing to do with what the Wii could or couldn't do.

Right. We’re not going to get everything on one system. People keep asking for Ocarina of Time remake for Switch. That doesn’t favor Nintendo to do every remake or remaster under the sun for Switch. You need to save stuff for future systems. An Ocarina of Time and Earthbound remakes can come for the next system.
I dont need a remake, just an hd version of the game. Im good with ocarina and earth bound on switch because we have the originals at least.

I just hope whatever they do whenever they do, it's gonna be forward compatible.

Thats what the leaker said actually lol!
I dont think i truly want an open world mp4 BUT

I think retro can make it work

And yeah no matter the way they go to make mp4 a large game, i have my suspections that fans wont like it as much, while the rest of the world will praise it.

Back
Top Bottom