• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

PlayStation Insomniac Studios Upcoming Titles Have Leaked

Aren't several PlayStation studios working on new IPs? lol
Which studios though? I'd imagine Gorilla is doing another Horizon, Sucker Punch is probably doing GoT2 since a movie is also in development, Naughty Dog is doing TLoU Pt. 3, Insomniac is all Marvel now it seems, and Sony SM is a mystery.

A lot of their new acquisitions are doing new IP but the recently announced ones are all GAAS. I'll be shocked if we see something on the scale of concrete genie, gravity rush, or even days gone come out of Sony for a while.

Not sure what you mean here
I think what they're saying is you don't have to be a part of a big AAA studio making risk adverse big AAA games to get a pay day and "eat." A game doesn't have to have a massive budget or be some milestone in presentation in order to be universally praised and sell extremely well.

Which studios though? I'd imagine Gorilla is doing another Horizon, Sucker Punch is probably doing GoT2 since a movie is also in development, Naughty Dog is doing TLoU Pt. 3, Insomniac is all Marvel now it seems, and Sony SM is a mystery.

A lot of their new acquisitions are doing new IP but the recently announced ones are all GAAS. I'll be shocked if we see something on the scale of concrete genie, gravity rush, or even days gone come out of Sony for a while.
Cory Barlog has hinted at a new IP at Santa Monica, Bend is abandoning Days Gone and most likely working on something new, Bluepoint is working on an original game which also looks like a new IP...

Naughty Dog is currently working on two new singleplayer experiences. While one is bound to be TLOU3, it doesn't seem likely that they will go back to Uncharted.

Cory Barlog has hinted at a new IP at Santa Monica, Bend is abandoning Days Gone and most likely working on something new, Bluepoint is working on an original game which also looks like a new IP...

Naughty Dog is currently working on two new singleplayer experiences. While one is bound to be TLOU3, it doesn't seem likely that they will go back to Uncharted.
Exactly.

Housemarque is almost certainly working on a new IP as well. Chances are Media Molecule is too.

Their publishing collabs are all new IPs (Rise of the Ronin, Lost Soul Aside, etc.) on top of that.

I think what they're saying is you don't have to be a part of a big AAA studio making risk adverse big AAA games to get a pay day and "eat." A game doesn't have to have a massive budget or be some milestone in presentation in order to be universally praised and sell extremely well.
Yes, but developers will naturally be attracted to big studios for more stable work. For all of the layoffs we’ve had this year, it goes unsaid how unstable or underpaid a lot of indie/AA work is.

Wait, I'm confused. So those passport images from the link in post #8 are actual passports that got leaked and not art assets from a game?

... American passports actually have a huge bald eagle over a waving flag printed on the bio page?
I think you're talking about what is officially called the Great Seal, which is a seal used by the US State Department (ie the people that issue passports).

I don't get how this could be creatively fulfilling. Then again what do I know.
Why? They are creating original stories in their own universe. Each of these games is going to have unique gameplay mechanics. Plus they are all likely to be very successful financially which means studio stability so employees have some job security.

Why? They are creating original stories in their own universe. Each of these games is going to have unique gameplay mechanics. Plus they are all likely to be very successful financially which means studio stability so employees have some job security.
Read earlier in the thread where I already address this

If making Marvel games that sell well allowed me to continue to work in this volatile ass industry (which is obviously not even guaranteed, sadly) I'd personally take it over something more uncertain in a heartbeat. Additionally I think assuming devs are unhappy to be working on these projects, a lot of which is just projecting of personal taste onto people you don't know, is kind of weird.

Asobi - probably Astro Bot
Bend - new IP with MP elements
Bluepoint - "original content" - could be new IP, could be tied to existing franchise - some speculation from concept leak of GoW links
Bungie - Destiny, Marathon, more cartoony MP game
Firesprite - MP Action Game (Twisted Metal?), Narrative Dark Horror game
Firewalk - Concord - MP GAAS
Guerilla - Horizon 3/Horizon MP
Haven - FAIRGAME$ - MP GAAS
Housemarque - new IP, shooter, only just started hiring leads
Insomniac - see thread
London Studio - Fantasy MP GAAS
Media Molecule - New Game
Naughty Dog - TLOU Pt 3/Shaun Escayg game - most likely new Uncharted, potentially new IP
Nixxes - PC Ports
Polyphony - Gran Turismo
San Diego - MLB
Santa Monica - Cory game, GoW continues
Sucker Punch - Ghost 2
Valkyrie - Support studio
XDEV - partnerships (Rise Of The Ronin, Death Stranding 2, Stellar Blade)

2024 is shaping up to be a pretty rough year for Sony first party content imo (at least that interests me), so a good time for Switch 2 to release anyway.

Leaks aren’t cool like that. But damn does that look like Insomniac is basically in the same groove as smaller indies like WayForward and Inti Creates: doing licensed/contract work in order to fund development of their own IP. I would’ve expected Sony to shield them from that a little more than this, but hey Marvel is still paying the bills for now so I guess it’s understandable even if unfortunate.

Of course I think it's just more a testament to how expensive and complicated game development has gotten at the cutting edge. 20 years ago R&C selling 2-3 million made it a big, profitable hit that spawned tons of sequels and spin offs that came out annually. Now that same number of units sold means you're losing money. It's easy to assume cynical "pump out sequels to hot thing to maximize money", but it could be "we have so many creative ideas and we can realize most of them cause our thing is hot".
We saw a variation on this in the PC space in the mid-90s when Point & Click games went out of vogue in favor of a pivot towards action games. P&C games got too expensive and weren’t growing their audience while the nascent FPS genre was white-hot and drawing a much larger audience. And I’m pretty sure the same thing happened with RTS games in the 2000’s/2010’s.

We’re only seeing certain genres resurrecting due to indies coming in and figuring out how to make certain types of games on a smaller budget and with correspondingly lower graphical panache.

Basically any time the industry or studio has a pivot it’s usually because the budgets have outgrown the audience.

Last edited:
If making Marvel games that sell well allowed me to continue to work in this volatile ass industry (which is obviously not even guaranteed, sadly) I'd personally take it over something more uncertain in a heartbeat. Additionally I think assuming devs are unhappy to be working on these projects, a lot of which is just projecting of personal taste onto people you don't know, is kind of weird.
Where did I say working on these franchises would make the devs unhappy? I just said sony will double down on their existing IP and become less risk adverse. I didn't say their devs would be unhappy about it. I did insinuate that I would be unhappy with this direction because I preferred the more experimental Sony from the PS3 and early PS4 days.

It seems they're sort of working on it the background with a smaller team and it is planned (right now) to eventually release in about 5 years time

I'd say it's in very early pre-production as a smaller-scale PS6 launch window game that showcases visuals and new features, similar to Rift Apart. Probably just some notes and drawings in a notebook right now.

Even a lawsuit would be a response. You think they're just gonna let this go unpunished?
i thought you meant a public response.

I guess if they know the vector and responsible persons maybe, could as well be that they where put in a position to either pay or accept a leak, or whatever. An investigation and maybe a lawsuite in the future is not something i thought of as a response because i expect that to happen just because it was a security breach.

if we will hear about the things? who knows, not all lawsuits are public and often investigations lead to nothing.

Then again, now its out, they don't really gain much from a lawsuit if its a random hacker, and going public would aknowledge the leak and get it more widespread attention.

I put this out on ERA few days ago, but this is my predictions for PS Studios through the end of the generation.

Naughty Dog (2)- New IP and TLOU 3
Santa Monica (2)- Corey's New IP and GOW
Insomniac (3)- Wolverine, MP project, Spider-Man 3
Sucker Punch (1)- Ghost of Tsushima 2
Guerilla (2)- Horizon MMO/MP and Horizon 3
Polyphony (1)- Gran Turismo 8 (this feels like a cross-gen PS6 launch title)
Bend (1)- New IP
San Diego Studios (5)- Annual MLB title
Bluepoint (1)- "original content"
Haven (1)- Fairgame$
Firewalk (1)- Concord
Media Molecule (1)- New IP (side note: they are probably the studio that is farthest out from a release)
London Studio (1)- New IP
Housemarque (1)- New IP
Firesprite (3)- Dark Narrative, Twisted Metal, VR or something else
Team Asobi (1)- 3D Action game

That is at least nine new IPs with at least a couple more strong possibilities. I know we all keep asking "what is next for Sony", but most of their studios seem lined up for releases in 2025-6. We should have a much better idea of their timeline in the next 12 months.

I put this out on ERA few days ago, but this is my predictions for PS Studios through the end of the generation.

Naughty Dog (2)- New IP and TLOU 3
Santa Monica (2)- Corey's New IP and GOW
Insomniac (3)- Wolverine, MP project, Spider-Man 3
Sucker Punch (1)- Ghost of Tsushima 2
Guerilla (2)- Horizon MMO/MP and Horizon 3
Polyphony (1)- Gran Turismo 8 (this feels like a cross-gen PS6 launch title)
Bend (1)- New IP
San Diego Studios (5)- Annual MLB title
Bluepoint (1)- "original content"
Haven (1)- Fairgame$
Firewalk (1)- Concord
Media Molecule (1)- New IP (side note: they are probably the studio that is farthest out from a release)
London Studio (1)- New IP
Housemarque (1)- New IP
Firesprite (3)- Dark Narrative, Twisted Metal, VR or something else
Team Asobi (1)- 3D Action game

That is at least nine new IPs with at least a couple more strong possibilities. I know we all keep asking "what is next for Sony", but most of their studios seem lined up for releases in 2025-6. We should have a much better idea of their timeline in the next 12 months.
I really hope a lot of those newer games hit sooner rather than later. I would like something new for next year. I think of all the franchises I am excited for it is a GoT2 because it has the potential to learn from the first game and really make something amazing rather than just a greate flawed game (IMO) that GoT was. Unfortunately all of the other franchises in Sony's "roadmap" has been played out for me and it's hard to get excited. With exception of GT7; that game is simply phenomenal.

The Ratchet and Clank situation really spells out the trap that Sony has fallen into

Games are so expensive to make, they need everything to be some AAA 10+ million seller or else they risk losing money. They have to go big with time-consuming, graphically intensive projects because that's all they can rely on to make a profit. Rift Apart was a smaller game, and it still lost money for them, which only tells Sony that smaller projects that'll sell less aren't worth it because they still cost too much to make, they need to go big or go home

This also explains the live-service push: they're chasing projects specifically designed to make as much profit as possible because everything is expensive to develop. And this stuff takes forever to make, which is why their first-party line-up for 2024 is nonexistent.

I wish they'd take some pages out of Nintendo's book and find a way to make cheaper first-party games that don't need to sell as much, we get those all the time on Switch. But I guess the graphical demands of Sony's output makes that impossible.

Last edited:
Bruh nobody buying Ratchet and Clank is a travesty. I guess we are not seeing that IP for a very long time
It launched very early in console's life, where it had just a little install base. Unlike other games Rift Apart was PS5 exclusive and that hurt its chances. Sony also doesn't continue the marketing for the games after its launch period, unlike Nintendo. If they did, new PS5 adopters would definitely had Ratchet as one of their first PS5 games. Quite a graphical showcase title.

Bruh nobody buying Ratchet and Clank is a travesty. I guess we are not seeing that IP for a very long time
For me, it was the $70 price tag. I remembered loving the remake on PS4, but I also remembered it being cheaper as well as a very short experience. With Sony taking games to $70 I became much more stringent with what games I buy day one. By the time the game dropped in price I had moved on and was busy playing other things. I did end up playing it on PS+ and enjoyed it, but I was definitely happy I didn't jump in at $70.

I wish they'd take some pages out of Nintendo's book and find a way to make cheaper first-party games that don't need to sell as much, we get those all the time on Switch. But I guess the graphical demands of Sony's output makes that impossible.

Not only the graphical demands, but just the acquired taste of the current PS playerbase as to what they want out of them also prevents that. The mid/late PS4 slew of game were so successful and well liked that it's all they care about. Victim of success.jpeg meme over here for PlayStation.

Things would be less of an issue if they released on PC Day 1 as that ecosystem can be more receptive to all sorts of games, but it's not their current plan.

An illegal hack of Insomniac. The leak is quite substantial and there's a lot of info out there, including a playable build of Wolverine.

Ratchet and Clank might be that far our due to the underperformance of Rift Apart:

1702963389756859.png
It's kind of crazy that we know that BotW was a 3 million break even game. And that was a game that was a complete overhaul of the entire series, and a pinnacle of the Zelda team that took 5 years to develop for. All new assets, engine, design, world, story, ect.

Meanwhile Miles Morales was a short side game that only took 3 years, that reused most of the assets of the first spiderman game, yet still had a similar budget to Zelda.

We need to go back and start cutting these budgets. And Insomniac is Sony's best functioning studio that regularly puts out content. All of Sony's other studios do not release games in the same cadence.

Last edited:
This is a brutal leak for many reasons. I really wouldn't be surprised if Sony, Insomniac and Marvel actually change plans in response to this, given now we're seeing everyone coming in with 'Wow Insomniac only do Marvel now' comments. But then again, when you see the sales figures laid out like that, you can see why Sony are keen to keep the gravy train going.

I should really do my part and play Ratchet and Clank sometime

Betting on the X-Men for 2030 is interesting considering the state of the IP and the Marvel Cinematic Universe

Also the fact that you have to do like 20+ charachters

This is a brutal leak for many reasons. I really wouldn't be surprised if Sony, Insomniac and Marvel actually change plans in response to this, given now we're seeing everyone coming in with 'Wow Insomniac only do Marvel now' comments. But then again, when you see the sales figures laid out like that, you can see why Sony are keen to keep the gravy train going.

I should really do my part and play Ratchet and Clank sometime
Letting some internet scuttlebutt change the course of products that cost hundreds of millions of dollars would probably be ill advised. If companies did that Nintendo would drop open world Zelda and go back to making OOT-style games.

It's kind of crazy that we know that BotW was a 3 million break even game. And that was a game that was a complete overhaul of the entire series, and a pinnacle of the Zelda team that took 5 years to develop for. All new assets, engine, design, world, story, ect.

Meanwhile Miles Morales was a short side game that only took 3 years, that reused most of the assets of the first spiderman game, yet still had a similar budget to Zelda.

We need to go back and start cutting these budgets. And Insomniac is Sony's best functioning studio that regularly puts out content. All of Sony's other studios do not release games in the same cadence.

Getting costs down is real tricky for a lot of PlayStation Studios, this is why they've been using a lot of outsourcing and building up relationships with support studios or making them like the Malaysia one they founded in 2020.

Looking at their studios and which one have sold the most copies in recent times.

Naughty Dog - Santa Monica, California
Santa Monica Studio - It's in the name, lmao.
Insomniac Games - Burbank California / Durham North Carolina
Guerilla Games - Amsterdam
SuckerPunch Productions - Bellevue, Washington ( part of the whole Seattle Dev scene )

All of these are in the upper echelon of expensive places to live and games take 5 years to make, it's just how it is.

Betting on the X-Men for 2030 is interesting considering the state of the IP and the Marvel Cinematic Universe

Also the fact that you have to do like 20+ charachters

X-Men is a sleeping giant as a franchise. There are a lot of well known characters and they all don't need to be introduced right away.

Disney is probably going to install X-Men into the MCU around or right after the next Avengers films. Pairing that with a couple on Insomniac games at the end of the decade could be huge for Sony and Disney. Seems like a good bet to make.

X-Men is a sleeping giant as a franchise. There are a lot of well known characters and they all don't need to be introduced right away.

Disney is probably going to install X-Men into the MCU around or right after the next Avengers films. Pairing that with a couple on Insomniac games at the end of the decade could be huge for Sony and Disney. Seems like a good bet to make.
You have to actually awake the giant because the X Men are sleeping for A LONG time, and Disney Marvel movies are down spiral that seems to know no end

Letting some internet scuttlebutt change the course of products that cost hundreds of millions of dollars would probably be ill advised. If companies did that Nintendo would drop open world Zelda and go back to making OOT-style games.
Most of these games are in pre-production so that amount of money hasn't been spent, and they're so far ahead that it wouldn't be too much of a waste of resources. Leaks can and do have an impact on future game projects. They can either generate hype, or kill it and force the developer to course correct.

I mean I'm down for 12 more years of Marvel stuff from them but I can't imagine others would be so keen, and now the cat is out the bag, it will probably cause some grumbling

Most of these games are in pre-production so that amount of money hasn't been spent, and they're so far ahead that it wouldn't be too much of a waste of resources. Leaks can and do have an impact on future game projects. They can either generate hype, or kill it and force the developer to course correct.

I mean I'm down for 12 more years of Marvel stuff from them but I can't imagine others would be so keen, and now the cat is out the bag, it will probably cause some grumbling

People were pretty happy about Wolverine when it was announced, and people are buying Spider-Man 2(5M in 11 days) and I think the gaming audience was pretty keyed in that a Spider-Man 3 was also going to be in the works after that. So at least until 2028-2029 I think a vast amount of customers would not be surprised by the roadmap nor feel too negative towards it. That seems like fine to me, no? Anything further than that is like, really far.

Worth talking about how these games get high budgets since they're also supposed to sell consoles, and by extension, other games and microtransactions on PlayStation

A lot of hypocrisy going on with major outlets:

The Capcom leak also revealed the personal information of employees. At this point, the personal information should be dealt with swiftly, but the rest of the leak is news, and news should be reported.

The Capcom leak also revealed the personal information of employees. At this point, the personal information should be dealt with swiftly, but the rest of the leak is news, and news should be reported.

they're all just scared they'll lose their access to sony PR. they probably got a note from sony "suggesting" they shouldn't cover the leak.

no one's gonna share the employee info, the actual leaked news is more than fair game, just like any other leak they've all been covering for years.

Last edited:
Damn I really hoped they would make a new Unspoken for psvr, really disappointing they have no vr games in development especially as they were making so many before the Sony buyout.

I don’t mean to flame any console wars, but playstation has to step it up with the exclusives. Compare the first 3 year lineup of the PS1/ PS2, which featured a massive variety of genres, sequels, new franchises, art styles, etc, to the PS4/PS5 which have introduced virtually no new franchises and are almost all story based action games with a realistic art style. They even removed a unique art style from the last of us with the remaster making the game look like every other playstation exclusive

I don’t mean to flame any console wars, but playstation has to step it up with the exclusives. Compare the first 3 year lineup of the PS1/ PS2, which featured a massive variety of genres, sequels, new franchises, art styles, etc, to the PS4/PS5 which have introduced virtually no new franchises and are almost all story based action games with a realistic art style. They even removed a unique art style from the last of us with the remaster making the game look like every other playstation exclusive
What am I missing?

This is going to be a LONG week for Insomniac and SIE as a whole. 1.7TB of data is gonna take more than a couple of days to uncover...

It sucks that incomplete work and personal data has leaked, but the stuff about game budgets, royalty licensing agreements and percentages, total lifetime sales of first party games with digital/physical splits, project management regarding team size planning over the next 6+ yeares etc etc... all of that stuff is endlessly fascinating and has massively enhanced my understanding of an industry I haven't worked in in more than 15 years now.

Especially as it comes from a hyper-competent mega-studio. These guys are best-in-class - especially when you consider technical excellence AND release frequency - so you have to imagine their forward planning is too.

Ratchet had like almost a full year+ of being one of the only ground up PS5 exclusives and pushed as a technical showcase and still lost like almost 10 million what the fuck

Are we really in a timeline where it probably makes more financial sense to make another KNACK

No ratchet for 5 more years. Rift apart didn't even clear 2.5 mil. Feels bad man. Not like I didn't get a lot of good games so far out of it though.

Of course I think it's just more a testament to how expensive and complicated game development has gotten at the cutting edge. 20 years ago R&C selling 2-3 million made it a big, profitable hit that spawned tons of sequels and spin offs that came out annually. Now that same number of units sold means you're losing money. It's easy to assume cynical "pump out sequels to hot thing to maximize money", but it could be "we have so many creative ideas and we can realize most of them cause our thing is hot".

Hold on lads, the earlier image was clearly a projection from Insomniac because...

New hot info from leaks :

image.png

Is that 2.7M Ratchets sold and 145M in net revenue I spy on the top of this image? The game has been profitable for quite some time.
It's not that big of a difference in terms of copies sold than the estimate, so I can only assume they thought they sell WAY less fully priced copies than they actually ended up selling.

This image is seemingly from Feb~ 2022 also, so more copies sold obviously, including the PC version.

What am I missing?
The last of us remaster that recently came out took away the art style of the original. The PS3 game, while going for a realistic look, still wasn‘t generic and looked distinct. The new remaster just looks exactly like every other modern playstation game visually

Regarding Ratchet and Clank PS5, I think it's interesting that a ton of that game's worth had to be in producing marketing material for the PS5, but we see no evidence of how that gets worked into any kind of calculations. But behind the scenes, there has to be some kind of understanding at Sony that there is an additional financial benefit to the ecosystem as a whole from producing a game like that R&C that doesn't show up in those net profit figures for the game alone.

This is also how I think Nintendo will see Metroid Prime 4 on the Switch 2, btw. Its use as a marketing tool will be just as important as its final sales.

Regarding Ratchet and Clank PS5, I think it's interesting that a ton of that game's worth had to be in producing marketing material for the PS5, but we see no evidence of how that gets worked into any kind of calculations. But behind the scenes, there has to be some kind of understanding at Sony that there is an additional financial benefit to the ecosystem as a whole from producing a game like that R&C that doesn't show up in those net profit figures for the game alone.

This is also how I think Nintendo will see Metroid Prime 4 on the Switch 2, btw. Its use as a marketing tool will be just as important as its final sales.

Post #195 if you just missed it.

The last of us remaster that recently came out took away the art style of the original. The PS3 game, while going for a realistic look, still wasn‘t generic and looked distinct. The new remaster just looks exactly like every other modern playstation game visually

The art direction/asset quality is in line with part II, which I assume was the intended goal for the remaster and PC ports being in-line with each other.

Hold on lads, the earlier image was clearly a projection from Insomniac because...

New hot info from leaks :

image.png

Is that 2.7M Ratchets sold and 145M in net revenue I spy on the top of this image? The game has been profitable for quite some time.
It's not that big of a difference in terms of copies sold than the estimate, so I can only assume they thought they sell WAY less fully priced copies than they actually ended up selling.

This image is seemingly from Feb~ 2022 also, so more copies sold obviously, including the PC version.
Ratchet and clank numbers are ps5 only

2.7 mil

1.6 mil first month

And yes they are profitable from first month

Is it really hypocrisy to handle a similar situation better three years later? If they go on to do the same again in future then sure, that’ll seem a lot like making an exception for Sony, but 3 years is enough time to decide ‘maybe we should do better’, even if it’s still a bit clumsy.

Eh, does it really matter if leaked games years out get talked about today or tomorrow? What’s important today is staff having their details posted online, and any opportunity to remind people there are human beings spending large chunks of their careers on these massive projects is a good thing. By Christmas readers won’t care about staff woes, but in the new year they’ll still be discussing Insomniac upcoming games. It’s not like the leak isn’t splashed all over dozens of outlets anyway. No outlet is required to focus on gamer excitement and clicks within hours rather than take a moment to think about what’s more important. Better journalism is something we should encourage.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom