• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

PlayStation Insomniac Studios Upcoming Titles Have Leaked

Ratchet had like almost a full year+ of being one of the only ground up PS5 exclusives and pushed as a technical showcase and still lost like almost 10 million what the fuck

Are we really in a timeline where it probably makes more financial sense to make another KNACK

Honestly, i don't get people.

If you want to do out there risky more creative stuff, why in the ever living hell go to a huge studio?
nobody in their right mind just puts hundreds of millions into weird or out there IPS,
and the huge studios are not structured for a ton of small scale productions.

Games get developed over decades, and if you where in such a studio, moving to a different mid
sized one wont be a problem if you want to work on non Major IP projects.

There is a reason why we have different sized studios in different contexts, and feeling bad for them when this studio would not exist in this constellation if the goal would not be such games as spider man, then...

I know a ton of people that would love to work on those big ips. Just look how much of the internet is full of fanart.

Oh, and as far as i see it, they still have the freedom to plan new ips and to work on ratched and clank, but need to mix it in between projects that do earn money.its probably 1/x slots for game dev they can decide themselves.
--------------
Rift Apart: sounds about right. IT was a tech showcase, it will be more then worth it over the whole PS5 Run ( not missing much to be break even, AND you cant ignore the value of having a broader reach with your portfolio, even if single games don't sell that well... otherwise Metroid would never be made, and we would have even more MK DLC)

-----------

Its not interesting to me, but im not Sonys target audience, i see what their audience is and totally get what they are after.
All 3 of them have a different audience, Microsoft is fully embracing their PC DNA, Sony their Cinema DNA and nintendo still their "Toy" DNA.

Are we really in a timeline where it probably makes more financial sense to make another KNACK
Knack is a sacred passion project by the lead architect of the PS4 and 5! Cerny has the clout to make a dozen more Knack games happen, should he desire to. #KnackComeback

I mean it's is fair to question this release schedule the way game are taking longer and longer to make....unless god forbid they want to really be like their studios name

No ratchet for 5 more years. Rift apart didn't even clear 2.5 mil. Feels bad man. Not like I didn't get a lot of good games so far out of it though.

Venom game over daredevil confirmation is of note.

Anyway. Seems like their output will keep its current pace which is actually kind of nuts. Crazy effeciency at insomniac. Could see delays though.

I wonder how wolverine and later x men will play. Or what gimmicks or Gameplay changes they would add to spiderman 3. Or even exactly where ratchet will go. Honestly I'm pretty excited. Maybe local co op, (haha lmao).

Baffled at people upset that popular games get sequels. We used to get trilogies on a single console. I don't see why creating a wing suit and symbiot powers or whatever couldnt be creatively fulfilling.

Budget is huuuuuuge

Venom a la Miles Morales

And X-Men game… I can dig it. There hasn’t been a good X-Men game since X-Men Legends II?

An illegal hack of Insomniac. The leak is quite substantial and there's a lot of info out there, including a playable build of Wolverine.

Ratchet and Clank might be that far our due to the underperformance of Rift Apart:

1702963389756859.png
That slide actually confuses me. Why mix actual numbers with expected ones without a clarification/indication?

If they make Spider-Man 3 a two parter... Just wow. I watched the new spider verse a few months back and I was supremely disappointed at the end because of how they're handling there being a part 2. It felt like exposition for a product which wouldn't be out for another few years. I can't imagine buying a game like that and feeling satisfied.
Golden Sun... 2001 GBA, and there are other games.
Beyond good and evil was also half a cliffhänger.
my only takeaway for this leaks is game budget is absurd
You've seen movie budgets?
Why would AAA games be cheaper then 3h movies when half the time the assets used look similar (with how much CGI there is in modern movies)

It's just a Marvel IP studio now. Goddamn, that must be disheartening for the people who work there. What a waste of talent.
Why? Honestly they seem like they want to make those games - they certainly wanted to make Spider-Man and they treat them like their own IP making their own versions of the characters etc... I don't really see what the issue is. Insomniac has never been high art, they have been a big blockbuster franchise studio from Spyro, Ratchet (still going today), Resistance, now Spidey - Sunset Overdrive is basically the outlier in their catalogue. This is hardly a CoD saltmine situation. It's cool if you don't like Marvel but there's no need to disparage the hard work and love that clearly goes into these games.

Why? Honestly they seem like they want to make those games - they certainly wanted to make Spider-Man and they treat them like their own IP making their own versions of the characters etc... I don't really see what the issue is. Insomniac has never been high art, they have been a big blockbuster franchise studio from Spyro, Ratchet (still going today), Resistance, now Spidey - Sunset Overdrive is basically the outlier in their catalogue. This is hardly a CoD saltmine situation. It's cool if you don't like Marvel but there's no need to disparage the hard work and love that clearly goes into these games.
That is definitely not my intent to look down on their hard work. I just imagine that it would be nice for a studio to have a diverse portfolio for developers to work on. Luckily a new IP is also part of the plan as multiple users here pointed out to me earlier in the thread.

Why would AAA games be cheaper then 3h movies when half the time the assets used look similar (with how much CGI there is in modern movies)
The discussion about movie budgets being grossly inflated has been going on for even longer than the one for games.

At the very least Insomniac's games actually look their budget. Can't really say the same for most massive Hollywood productions, aside from Avatar.

A lot of these slides are missing context that I can only assume was explained verbally at whatever presentation they were shown at.
ideally a slide can not been miss construed that much out of context, but you're probably right and internal presentations have quality checks then outgoing ones, i guess it was done by 2-3 people for something like a "financial year end" presentation or something like that to show where the roadmap goes and what the expectations are.

Still, weird slide and since its a leak i would take it with an additional grain of salt because of that.

uhhhhh yeah movie budgets ARE out of control too, this year especially has proven that

No ratchet for 5 more years. Rift apart didn't even clear 2.5 mil. Feels bad man. Not like I didn't get a lot of good games so far out of it though.

Venom game over daredevil confirmation is of note.

Anyway. Seems like their output will keep its current pace which is actually kind of nuts. Crazy effeciency at insomniac. Could see delays though.

I wonder how wolverine and later x men will play. Or what gimmicks or Gameplay changes they would add to spiderman 3. Or even exactly where ratchet will go. Honestly I'm pretty excited. Maybe local co op, (haha lmao).

Baffled at people upset that popular games get sequels. We used to get trilogies on a single console. I don't see why creating a wing suit and symbiot powers or whatever couldnt be creatively fulfilling.
I do kind of get the frustration. Insomniac a decade ago had a wide variety of projects in several genres including Resistance, R&C, Fuse, Sunset Overdrive, Outernauts, and Song of the Deep in a 5 year gap of time. By comparison in a 5 year gap Insomniac will release 4 (presumedly) open world action games themed around Marvel IP. If you're not vibing with that, you're basically SOL. It doesn't matter how creative or different those titles are from each other or other open world games, if you were already out you're probably not jumping back in.

Of course I think it's just more a testament to how expensive and complicated game development has gotten at the cutting edge. 20 years ago R&C selling 2-3 million made it a big, profitable hit that spawned tons of sequels and spin offs that came out annually. Now that same number of units sold means you're losing money. It's easy to assume cynical "pump out sequels to hot thing to maximize money", but it could be "we have so many creative ideas and we can realize most of them cause our thing is hot".

Also people need to look at the glass half full. In another timeline the projects approved aren't these, but all the gaas projects Sony said no to. Look at the debacle over at Rocksteady and their Suicide Squad game for what could have happened.

A very bad thing for the developers, I feel sorry for them.

p. s. Spider man 3 divided into two parts could be sadder than the last animated Spiderman film which was also divided into two parts.
What a terrible way to do things

The discussion about movie budgets being grossly inflated has been going on for even longer than the one for games.

At the very least Insomniac's games actually look their budget. Can't really say the same for most massive Hollywood productions, aside from Avatar.
Oh, im not defending movie budgets.
But by now the last 10 years 200M was just what it cost to do Marvel,
and the numbers floatign arround for rockstar games (especially RDR2) where huge.
Its just that budgets of 200+M are kinda "accepted" since half a decade now when they where a big point back then.

Then again, covid and weird circumstances imploded our view on money, with how many tech companies just grew at a rate that it was shocking (same as the inflation making 200m in 2020 far from the same as 200m in 2023...)

uhhhhh yeah movie budgets ARE out of control too, this year especially has proven that
Yeah. ...then again, looking at the last 10 years and other studios, seems the budgets are less of a problem and a lack in reading the audience. (smaller budgets could mean a more diverse lineup, but then people would need to have time for multiple movies, meaning a) tickets would have to become cheaper, and b) the fight against other entertainment media.

Unlike games, where as long as you have an audience people can consume it Movie theater screenings are limited, could be its easier to have a handful of blockbusters then a diverse lineup. I don't have the numbers.

But the balance is for sure off currently. (and its not like there aren't a ton of indie festivals around with a ton of movies that struggle to find an audience)

Of course I think it's just more a testament to how expensive and complicated game development has gotten at the cutting edge. 20 years ago R&C selling 2-3 million made it a big, profitable hit that spawned tons of sequels and spin offs that came out annually. Now that same number of units sold means you're losing money. It's easy to assume cynical "pump out sequels to hot thing to maximize money", but it could be "we have so many creative ideas and we can realize most of them cause our thing is hot".
As any dev, artist, and probably everybody that works on anything can say (ok, i guess not, cooking seems all over the place in that regard): the finishing details and touches increase exponentially. No game with the fidelity of a R&C can be made anually if you don't have multiple teams. Having a team do a trilogy over 3 years VS working 3 years on a single entry means that single entry needs to sell just like the old 3.

There is only one aspect that could get that back: reduce fidelity. assets dont quite fit together? dont care.
The lip movement in that scene doesn't fit the voice line anymore, or the hand movement in that one is somewhat janky?
its "part of the charme". Who needs an orchestral soundtrack live recorded, let the team of 3 produce a synth and sample heavy soundtrack on their computers at their home studio.

And i honestly don't mean it in a derogatory way, sometimes i wish that mentality to get the spark and creativity through without the need to sell multiple millions. Mot seldom creative projects lose a lot by the time their "prime time" ready, since the people that where pushing the creative aspects just lost interest cause everything takes so long, and have moved mentaly somewhere else since then.

Just thinking how many indie games (and big games back then) had enemies, bosses, big levels etc still worked on just months before release, while now you have to have it "locked down" looooong before to work on the assets and the polish.

The one not disappointing thing from the leak for me who does not care for Marvel One bit is the concept art of the next Bluepoint game. That looks really cool.

Elephant in the room:
Hackers should be doing this to our elected officials, not companies, much less stuff that hurts employees.

—————

• Re: Dev costs - companies need to do something. If they asked for a $10 premium because of the need of more revenue, then what’s gonna stop them from asking another $10 premium? Getting games to $79.99? Sony won’t care. They’re positioning themselves as the premium product. These budgets are too bloated. If graphics are causing this, then I’m sorry, but there needs to be a peak of graphics performance ans focus more on stuff that can cut costs.

• Re: Insomniac - I’m sure they’d rather work and other original stuff, but if Marvel is guaranteeing their paychecks for the next decade, then so be it

Being compared to the movie industry is pretty alarming for videogames especially after this year. The balooning of budgets from every studio as brought an insane amount of flops in a single year, something that could easily happen to videogame studios if they’re not careful.

do think the reason movie budgets have gotten this big is in part due to covid costs. I think they'll go back down in a few years under the 200m mark, bar special occasions (like Avatar or Avengers), it's just gotten difficult to make a IP blockbuster for less than 200m these days.

I forgot to mention Sony’s output:
• I feel like PlayStation gets more flack because of their lack of a diverse set of IPs. Or rather, IPs that are alive.

Yes, Nintendo does the same as Sony, but they play around with the formula of their mainline games and also make different experiences with their spinoffs.

It’s also worth noting that PS’ strength is third party.

And there’s nothing wrong with that.

Nintendo has strengths, and so does Sony.

But in an ideal world, Sony PlayStation would have as much IPs and as profitable as Nintendo

An illegal hack of Insomniac. The leak is quite substantial and there's a lot of info out there, including a playable build of Wolverine.

Ratchet and Clank might be that far our due to the underperformance of Rift Apart:

1702963389756859.png
Damn Spider Man 2 costed 315 million dollars to make???? That's hella expensive. It's more than even TLOU II right? What goes above that? Cyberpunk? Starfield?

I'm impressed and scared with how far AAA development has gone. It's only super high values that demand super high sales or lead to failure.

Ratchet and Clank not breaking even is something I definitely didn't expect. Also I don't think they were super cost effective with it, should've gone the AA approach.

Also sad the sequel is only 2029, damn.

Also that it's the only non-Marvel thing from them in a decade.

And God damn these hackers did some major fuck up, leaking a 2026 game alpha build is no easy task. I feel sad for the developers.

Elephant in the room:
Hackers should be doing this to our elected officials, not companies, much less stuff that hurts employees.
Yeah, but companies seem to pay more when extorted ^^" (the hackers are not doing it out of the good of their heart, and most "hacks" are just bad security where somebody by accident found something and shared it with others or employees had their credentials/tokens taken, or had sensible data on private computers with maleware...)
—————

• Re: Dev costs - companies need to do something. If they asked for a $10 premium because of the need of more revenue, then what’s gonna stop them from asking another $10 premium? Getting games to $79.99? Sony won’t care. They’re positioning themselves as the premium product. These budgets are too bloated. If graphics are causing this, then I’m sorry, but there needs to be a peak of graphics performance ans focus more on stuff that can cut costs.

• Re: Insomniac - I’m sure they’d rather work and other original stuff, but if Marvel is guaranteeing their paychecks for the next decade, then so be it
Why are we always sure that "they ( a company with almost 600 employees...)" want to do something else?

Not every developer, artist, etc wants to work on the next artistic indie darling or on a specific IP. There are more then enough that would give an arm and an leg to work in a game studio that produces marvel games.

There are probably also a good amount of people that would have greate ideas in there and many more that want to work on their projects. Then again, if insomniac would work on 2 R&C games nobody would say anything against that, but for somebody that joined the studio the last decade, thats also "just" an IP that he does not own and hasn't contributed, since the initial games are now 20 years old.

people mix craft and artistry all the time. They often come together, but you have tons of masters of their craft that don't really aspire to artistic mastery, and you have many artists that barely go by with their knowledge in the tools needed.

Lets say you are a mechanics designer, and don't really care for what character is doing the things, then this is a great big budget relatively secure job (unlike indie studios where it can happen that you all have to reduce pay till release and hope that the game is a success).

Just look at the code of many indie games, where its inefficient, unreadable, no chance for a third party to maintaine the code base, etc. Making a new game based on the underlying codebase? no chance, the game and the code are one, no abstraction happening there. Is it a bad thing? nut really, well written code would be great, but the aim was to make the game they wanted to make, and were the happier for it being finished.

Just look at the super hero comics scene: going from writer to writer, from artist to artist, and many are actively seeking out the characters since they feel like they have something to tell with the story. The Star Wars expanded universe did not get that big because people got payed to write something, but also because writers WANTED to contribute to an existing IP.

-------------

And i myself have 0 interest in something like that, heck, even if somebody would ask me if i want to do my own game or work on a zelda, my answer would be on my own. If somebody asks me: work on my own game, but get no money, or have a cool job working on zelda...then i would probably work on zelda, lets be fair ^^"

------------

Im sorry if i sounded aggressive, but its just frustrating seeing how many people are just deciding that their values and expectations for a gaming industry job have to be the ones for all and all those sad developers that have no say at all are forced to work for a prestigious successful studio in game dev, instead of working in tech support or under payed as an indie dev. (just going by statistics, we can argue that <10% of indie studios are successful, maybe less then 5%)

Im sorry if i sounded aggressive, but its just frustrating seeing how many people are just deciding that their values and expectations for a gaming industry job have to be the ones for all and all those sad developers that have no say at all are forced to work for a prestigious successful studio in game dev, instead of working in tech support or under payed as an indie dev. (just going by statistics, we can argue that <10% of indie studios are successful, maybe less then 5%)
No worries! It came out very well, and excellently explained.

And I’m sure there are devs in Insomiac that are quite happy with what they’re doing right now, or would work in something else, but I just presented it as a counter argument to the seemingly established narrative that the studio “has been reduced” to just being a Marvel pipeline

Being compared to the movie industry is pretty alarming for videogames especially after this year. The balooning of budgets from every studio as brought an insane amount of flops in a single year, something that could easily happen to videogame studios if they’re not careful.
As replied prior to a different post, im not defending movie studios, my point is more that movie and game studios are openly balooning and passed 200m since forever:
55 King Kong 2005 $207

Thats not quite 20 years ago. that list is excluding back to back productions (they are further down the page https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_most_expensive_films)

But the trens was here for over a decade, and it was obvious and a big topic back then when PS4/XBO released and even back then when PS3 launched, that budgets are getting to high. 200+M for the highest budget productions (and honestly, the Sony high end games are exactly that) is just the most "to be expected" in the current media production landscape.

Yes, movie and game budgets are ridiculous, but seemingly with all the accounting and book keeping its a better risk/allocation of their resources then having more but cheaper projects.
Why, whats the reasoning? No idea.
Do i think its healthy? nope.

No worries! It came out very well, and excellently explained.

And I’m sure there are devs in Insomiac that are quite happy with what they’re doing right now, or would work in something else, but I just presented it as a counter argument to the seemingly established narrative that the studio “has been reduced” to just being a Marvel pipeline
Yeah, it was less your post as it is and more the general sentiment that its so bad and creatively bankrupt and the "poor devs" narrative im reading here.

i guess there is a trade off where for every x successful marvel games they can do a R&C or new ip, but then with 600 employees, just the handful at the top (say 20 people) will have a say in what that is.

-----
snip had another ramble about the discrepancy when people talk about jobs in the entertainment industries/the arts and jobs like tech, social care, gastronomy, textile, etc, but it was so off topic that i'll cut it ^^"

I think it's kinda unfortunate how many people are dissecting and criticizing all of this as though insomniac announced themselves exactly what's going to happen over the next ten years... Stuff gets moved around all the time and these are internal plans about many things that may look completely different in a few years.

Also no idea what all the creative bankruptcy stuff is about. The Spider-Man games feel so vibrant and fun and full of love for the franchise. There's a case to be made that it's unfortunate how big companies won't take risks on new IPs, but this is hardly new or unique to Insomniac.

Anyway, I sympathize with any devs who are seeing people doompost about Insomniac's pipeline while their main concern is that personal details are being compromised.

I think it's kinda unfortunate how many people are dissecting and criticizing all of this as though insomniac announced themselves exactly what's going to happen over the next ten years... Stuff gets moved around all the time and these are internal plans about many things that may look completely different in a few years.

Also no idea what all the creative bankruptcy stuff is about. The Spider-Man games feel so vibrant and fun and full of love for the franchise. There's a case to be made that it's unfortunate how big companies won't take risks on new IPs, but this is hardly new or unique to Insomniac.

Anyway, I sympathize with any devs who are seeing people doompost about Insomniac's pipeline while their main concern is that personal details are being compromised.
Some of these won't even be in any sort of development. I just find it weird as well people are complaining about the release schedule.

This is an absolutely stacked release schedule. Insomniac LITERALLY just released a massive AAA game. I feel the problem is seeing it all line up like this rather than waiting for announcements.

Problem for Insomniac now is fans expecting them to meet these dates and not change their planned games.

Wolverine being so far out really throws Sony’s schedule for a loop. Besides their GaaS stuff that feels destined to be a flop, there’s damn near nothing of note coming up from PlayStation Studios right now. It’s all XDev stuff.

Wolverine being so far out really throws Sony’s schedule for a loop. Besides their GaaS stuff that feels destined to be a flop, there’s damn near nothing of note coming up from PlayStation Studios right now. It’s all XDev stuff.
Eh, many of their studios (Bend, Suckerpunch, Asobi etc.) are unaccounted for and would have had plenty of time to work on something to take Wolverine's slot. 2-3 new major releases from PS Studios per year seems like the norm going forward.

Some of these won't even be in any sort of development. I just find it weird as well people are complaining about the release schedule.

This is an absolutely stacked release schedule. Insomniac LITERALLY just released a massive AAA game. I feel the problem is seeing it all line up like this rather than waiting for announcements.

Problem for Insomniac now is fans expecting them to meet these dates and not change their planned games.
Its almost 600 people, say 500 of that are developers, and a ton of outsourcing takes place for asset creating, and probably a lot of those 3rd person super hero action games using the same engine, i can see it. lets say Venom is a DLC like Miles Morales (makes sense?), it will probably reuse a ton of SM2s assets, and i guess SM3 will as well.

Wolverine and X-Men will probably to i guess.

Im not saying that the schedule is not tight (and i do expect delays), but with that size and a good amount of outsourcing i could see it work.

Looks like Sony knows that they are on an outdated model based on some of those slides, and that's why they're trying so hard to make a hit multiplayer game. I think they're doomed to fail, in that slide where they split Spiderman 3 into two games with multiplayer they ultimately make less profit even if they assume the multiplayer will make $150mil.

Ratchet had like almost a full year+ of being one of the only ground up PS5 exclusives and pushed as a technical showcase and still lost like almost 10 million what the fuck

We are in a timeline where theres no chance in hell sony invests in new IP or tries to expand the variety of their offering. If anything, they're going to consolidate their studio output into projects that will sell because thats what their first party will have to do to survive. I would feel bad for them but they spent the entirety of the PS4 generation training their loyal fans to like a certain type of game and now thats ALL they can do or else they are in big trouble.

Technical showcases aren't cheap to develop either. Some continue to ask for more graphics, more ray/path tracing, more frame rates, more resolution, more everything. And it all comes at a cost. Granted, prettier graphics doesn't always mean the production budget is sky high either. For Insomniac, some of that budget could've been part of some R&D costs because it was their first PS5 exclusive, though I am not sure exactly. This may also help explain why we got a PC port relatively quickly though.

I think as a stop-gap between all the Marvel games, would be cool to see a remastered Trilogy of Resistance...and also on PC while we're at it because FPS and all.

We are in a timeline where theres no chance in hell sony invests in new IP or tries to expand the variety of their offering. If anything, they're going to consolidate their studio output into projects that will sell because thats what their first party will have to do to survive. I would feel bad for them but they spent the entirety of the PS4 generation training their loyal fans to like a certain type of game and now thats ALL they can do or else they are in big trouble.
Aren't several PlayStation studios working on new IPs? lol

It’s a shame that Rift Apart didn’t sell a ton. That game is incredible.

I feel bad for the devs whose work got leaked, but my heart goes out to all those whose personal information got leaked. That’s beyond fucked up. That’s the real issue here.

Back
Top Bottom