• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

PlayStation Insomniac Studios Upcoming Titles Have Leaked

It's just a Marvel IP studio now. Goddamn, that must be disheartening for the people who work there. What a waste of talent.

not going to lie, if these kinds of budgets become the norm, AAA is flat out unsustainable
I mean on the same chart they just showed how all but one made a profit.

Not every AAA game is gonna profit like that, obviously, but it's kind of a blanket statement.

An illegal hack of Insomniac. The leak is quite substantial and there's a lot of info out there, including a playable build of Wolverine.

Ratchet and Clank might be that far our due to the underperformance of Rift Apart:

1702963389756859.png
They can't make a profit on a game selling over 2 million units? They need FOUR MILLION EVERY TIME?

I'm not sure that's sustainable at all! I think R&C was more of an experimental title and showed off PS5, so I hope, I dearly hope, Sony knew that and paid Insomniac appropriately for what it contributed for the brand regardless of sales, but I doubt it.

Devs gotta eat too.
Developers of Hades can eat I hear.

Wonder what the industry would be like, health wise, if we had more, smaller studios producing more games for lower prices. 70$ was never really excusable- but now apparently it's not even ENOUGH to break even with appropriate projections? It's awful.

Jeez, I’m not in the same boat as most of this thread. I think it’s entirely possible that they want to work on marvel stuff.

As consumers, you might have superhero fatigue. But from their point of view, they’ve been handed the keys one of the biggest IPs in the world and get to build their own universe out of it, and might actually view it as a privilege to be able to adapt these things to gaming and create their own vision for them.

Sure these new developments limits their output to primarily one IP, but that’s the case for like… a vast majority of game studios out there. Unless we want to say being on the Zelda team isn’t “creatively fulfilling” because they “only get to work with Zelda” lol.

Devs gotta eat too.

Yeah, it checks out too if you look at what they were working on.

Look at what came after Sunset Overdrive post 2013. Inbetween their bigger games like Ratchet(and working on Spider-Man with PS) they were doing mobile games/VR games, it looks like a studio that was trying a bunch of smaller things to pay the bills, maybe hoping for an idea to be a moderate hit.

I'm pretty sure that PlayStation being able to acquire Insomniac for like 200M something in cash was because the studio felt secure working for PlayStation.

They can't make a profit on a game selling over 2 million units? They need FOUR MILLION EVERY TIME?

I'm not sure that's sustainable at all! I think R&C was more of an experimental title and showed off PS5, so I hope, I dearly hope, Sony knew that and paid Insomniac appropriately for what it contributed for the brand regardless of sales, but I doubt it.

I think with Spider-Man 1/Miles/Spider-Man 2 Insomniac has proven they can manage to do much more than four million quite consistently. They're selling that many copies within a week.

Wonder what the industry would be like, health wise, if we had more, smaller studios producing more games for lower prices. 70$ was never really excusable- but now apparently it's not even ENOUGH to break even with appropriate projections? It's awful.

Those are very low projections. Lifetime Units for Spider-Man 2 only 10.5M, including the PC version down the line? That's tremendously low, like bordering on sandbagging.

It's only poor Ratchet that isn't doing too hot, the PS audience for these type of games are gone at this point...

Jeez, I’m not in the same boat as most of this thread. I think it’s entirely possible that they want to work on marvel stuff.

As consumers, you might have superhero fatigue. But from their point of view, they’ve been handed the keys one of the biggest IPs in the world and get to build their own universe out of it, and might actually view it as a privilege to be able to adapt these things to gaming.

I tend to agree with you.
Lots of folks like superheroes, and a studio that has been working on exactly that will probably have attracted talent in the last few years that joined specifically for that.

Also, the studio that has made Sunset Overdrive/Spider-Man probably is able to find the fun of all those different movesets that all "capeshit" characters can embody in terms of gameplay.

I think with Spider-Man 1/Miles/Spider-Man 2 Insomniac has proven they can manage to do much more than four million quite consistently. They're selling that many copies within a week.
"We only succeed when we make licenced games for the biggest super hero franchise on earth." is NOT success or sustainability!

Those are very low projections
No, they aren't.

As consumers, you might have superhero fatigue. But from their point of view, they’ve been handed the keys one of the biggest IPs in the world and get to build their own universe out of it, and might actually view it as a privilege to be able to adapt these things to gaming and create their own vision for them.

Sure these new developments limits their output to primarily one IP, but that’s the case for like… a vast majority of game studios out there. Unless we want to say being on the Zelda team isn’t “creatively fulfilling” because they “only get to work with Zelda” lol.

Some posters here clearly know more about game dev and what developers want than the actual developers so maybe we should keep quiet and let the experts talk. Some might even call them analysts.

It's funny because with Marvel Studios badly shitting the bed rn, Insomniac's takes on some of these characters are going to be the de facto versions in the public conscious for a while. That's gotta count for something lol

"We only succeed when we make licenced games for the biggest super hero franchise on earth." is NOT success or sustainability!
But they have shown to be successful and sustainable.

That doesn't mean that's all they're going to do forever. R&C and New IPs are still there on the timeline as well.

Sequels bad and creatively bankrupt when PlayStation.

Please "Yeah!" post.

In an industry where indipendent studios are making sequels and/or spiritual successors to their hits no shit a AAA studio with (as unsurprisingly shown from the leaks) incredibly high operational costs is. And I mean no slight to those indie devs. People gotta feed themselves, videogame work ain't a charity.

As far as employee satisfaction goes I also don't see much of a problem. I'm sure there are tons of devs who would love to work in a AAA studio which actually ships games every 1 to 2 years, where you actually get to work on different projects (as they sure get moved around a lot) on a consistent basis, a studio which is very much beloved by enthusiasts and whose games are enjoyed by millions of people of all demographics. I'm sure there are also plenty of devs who love Marvel stuff and will try to join Insomniac even harder after this leak.

That literally is sustainable when that's most of their game output and the stuff that isn't is basically a small write off, lol. Most triple A games get to 3M in the first 3 days these days.

Out of curiosity has any Nintendo Developer been hacked before and had their timeline leaked like this?

I just think the timeline looks absolutely daunting even as someone who likes the games, even accounting for Insomniac's size, as well as the fact it's going to be most of their output for 12 years straight by the time they get to a new IP (and even then, these games will almost certainly be pushed back). I'm not saying that making these games can never be fun or creatively fufilling, but working on the same thing does seem like it would have an impact after a while. Also as previously mentioned, a lot of people are obviously doing it as a job first and there's nothing wrong with that, which is why I said what do I know because there's too many variables to consider. But I guess I didn't express myself well enough so it might have come off the wrong way.

Playstation is so creatively bankrupt, just sequel after sequel.
It’s always amazing to me how every Sony thread on this forum is plastered with takes like this which get so much attention and yeahs. Almost every Nintendo game is a sequel because their IPs are so strong, but of course, if Sony does it, it’s greedy and the worst thing in the world.

I already don’t like it when games are announced far from their expected release date, so I especially hate it when games are “announced” against the wishes of the people making them. Screw those leakers.

God damn, the scale of this leak. So shitty for the devs.

To remark on the timeline itself: though I haven't gotten around to playing Rift Apart or Spider-Man 2 yet, I'm pretty confident in Insomniac's ability to maintain a positive trajectory based on SM1 and Miles Morales alone. Developing their own Marvel universe must feel equal parts exciting and daunting. Some part of me is admittedly looking forward to the next several years of reliably high quality superhero games from them, especially considering things are looking kinda uncertain with Rocksteady at the moment.
Developers of Hades can eat I hear.
I dunno. The rot must run pretty deep when even Supergiant have fallen victim to creative bankruptcy. I hear they're currently developing their first sequel!

Yeah, spot-on, actually. Marvel gave Insomniac the freedom to develop a game of their choosing under any one of their properties, and they ended up picking Spider-Man. I wouldn't be surprised if Wolverine / X-Men was a similar type deal, with those characters simply being the route they wanted to travel next.
'What would you think about working on a Marvel game?'" Price said his immediate reaction was "fairly neutral" and, as the studio had built a following on the back of original properties, he "hadn't really considered working on someone else's IP."

Once he bounced the idea off the other developers, however, he received overwhelmingly positive feedback. "The response I got was eye-opening for me," Price said, "The answer was, ‘Are you crazy? Of course we’re going to work on a Marvel game!'"

Marvel wasn't interested in having Insomniac work around a movie or comic tie-in either, they wanted Insomniac to create their own version of a character, and Marvel was willing to let the developer take their pick. "[Marvel said] 'Look, we've got a lot of characters. Pick a character that you guys think works for you, and then we'd love to hear your take on it.'"

Although he does not recall which other characters the studio discussed early on, Price said Spider-Man quickly became the frontrunner, for a number of reasons. The team at Insomniac related to the plucky superhero, identifying as scrappy underdogs themselves. Most of all, however, the team resonated with the dynamic of both the heroic Spider-Man and hapless everyman, Peter Parker.
Source:

It’s always amazing to me how every Sony thread on this forum is plastered with takes like this which get so much attention and yeahs. Almost every Nintendo game is a sequel because their IPs are so strong, but of course, if Sony does it, it’s greedy and the worst thing in the world.
I get what you mean but you can say that basically about any big publisher. Nintendo isn‘t exactly a new IP Machine either.
Come on, stop with this.

Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to go enjoy the 3 Mario adjacent games that just released since October as I prepare the the other 4 Mario adjacent games confirmed for next year.

But yeah, jokes aside, if you want crazy originality these days then look to indies. The big guys (Nintendo and Sony especially who know what they're good at) are gonna do what makes them bank 90% of the time.

It's so tempting to ask people who say shit like that if they bought Splatoon 3 lol

Some posters here clearly know more about game dev and what developers want than the actual developers so maybe we should keep quiet and let the experts talk. Some might even call them analysts.
Analysts without the ysts

BECAUSE THEY SPEWING SHIT WOKKA WOKKA

Come on, stop with this.

Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to go enjoy the 3 Mario adjacent games that just released since October as I prepare the the other 4 Mario adjacent games confirmed for next year.

But yeah, jokes aside, if you want crazy originality these days then look to indies. The big guys (Nintendo and Sony especially who know what they're good at) are gonna do what makes them bank 90% of the time.
Yeah I don‘t even mean this in a negative way. It‘s just an obvious trend that you can observe all over the industry and it‘s true for movies too. I like getting so many Mario games. And as you say luckily there are indie games, even though they deserve more attention.

Damn, huge leak, it seems. I feel sorry for the devs... and for my Sunset Overdrive 2 hopes and dreams, but that's a different matter

Yeah I don‘t even mean this in a negative way. It‘s just an obvious trend that you can observe all over the industry and it‘s true for movies too. I like getting so many Mario games. And as you say luckily there are indie games, even though they deserve more attention.
Definitely. I buy most Mario and most Marvel games these days and typically enjoy them. If those were the only games that ever came out, then I surely would start going a little crazy. But there are so many other games out there that I can't ever really complain too hard about any kind of oversaturation in the industry.

Fanboys are some of the worst in gaming

My biggest takeaway here is why does this always happen to sony?
Also wolverine in 2026 is kind of crazy, didn’t it get announced in like 2021? I get it was a cross promotion with disney buying fox but it’s a bit absurd, I guess i should forget about this game for a while.

You can always report posts you think are engaging in platform warring (which is against site rules) and the mod team can discuss potential actions. We will obviously moderate the most egregious examples if we come across them but for some posts the impetus has to come from the community.

I'm sure Wolverine and Venom will be good games, but... I feel kind of sad.

I'm sure console warring plays a part in it but I think this has also something to do with Marvel fatigue and, well, the fact that Insomniac doesn't even make games for their own IP anymore. One Ratchet and Clank game every 8-10 years versus 5 Marvel games.

Last edited:
I don't think Sony is creativitly bankrupt at all, but I do think Insomniac has so much talent that it is a shame there is no mention of new IP on there. But maybe there is something cooking not mentioned on the roadmap.

I just don't like Marvel properties all that much, or the at this point formulaic design for many of Sony's games, so to see that they are doubling down on both is just very discouraging.

I don't think Sony is creativitly bankrupt at all, but I do think Insomniac has so much talent that it is a shame there is no mention of new IP on there. But maybe there is something cooking not mentioned on the roadmap.
There's literally "New IP" on the timeline, it's just very far away.

It does say new IP

I just don't like Marvel properties all that much, or the at this point formulaic design for many of Sony's games, so to see that they are doubling down on both is just very discouraging.

There's literally "New IP" on the timeline, it's just very far away.
Lol I missed that since it's not alligned with the rest of mentioned titles. Good to know.

People do like working in prestige (or at least what gaming understands as prestige) titles but it is kind of disheartening to see that the only things making money for Insomniac -and thus most of their output- will be adapting Marvel properties. Sure, they'll probably be good games, but it's just the same stories over and over again.

I'm no marvel/super hero fan, but there's 2 revealed new IPs there with unannounced ones later
I think the timeline states just one "New IP", either releasing in 2031 or 2032.

I've always appreciated the fact that, while Naughty Dog and Sucker Punch left Jak & Daxter and Sly Cooper behind, Insomniac stuck with Ratchet & Clank. It's just lamentable to see that the IP is actively losing money for them. I've been wanting a collection release of the Future saga for years now, and it looks like I'm gonna have to keep waiting for one.

IG are the gem of Playstations studios so it If this is indeed true, it's a wee bit disapointing for me that their next 3 games are Marvel adoptions. I'm so so burnt out on Marvel at this point I dont think I'll ever be able to return to it.

How does this even leak?

So Marvel isn't just ruining cinema, games now too. (imo obviously). A new IP in 2031/2032, great.
Don't you think this is a bit much over the top? There is plenty of other types of movies you can watch as well as other types of games you can play.

Even though they are often not for me, I'm just happy the Marvel license gets good games nowadays. There is a lot of comic fans out there thirsting for these games and they finally get to play what they want.

Back
Top Bottom