• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Rumour Horizon Zero Dawn Remaster/Remake is in the works alongside a Multiplayer game set in the Horizon Universe

I can't help but wonder if they have done some good market research that suggests this will be a profitable project. It seems like such a bizarre decision that I feel like something has just got to be missing from the equation.

Nintendo and Sony don’t know how to make new games anymore, and Microsoft can’t make games period.

What an industry.
Weren’t we just mad because we didn’t see Twilight Princess/Windwaker ports and the Prime Remaster in the Direct?

I can’t keep up anymore.

I can't help but wonder if they have done some good market research that suggests this will be a profitable project. It seems like such a bizarre decision that I feel like something has just got to be missing from the equation.
I think for them they realized these tripple a games need a lot of time to be made, and these remakes can be made in a short amount of time and make a lot of cash. Honestly, its depressing for me to see lol, the last of us was already stretching wheather it really needed a remake, horizon zero dawn definitely doesnt. If anything it seems like a quick cash grab for sony

I've long thought that the "power-based" model of Sony was not sustainable: As technology advances, the differences between generations become smaller and smaller, while those in the past who didn't prioritize power (Nintendo) would little by little catch up. So eventually, we may reach a point where the difference between what the PS X and the Switch Y can produce will be negligible to the average consumer. So at that point, games built on a strong gameplay foundation would prevail over those that put most of their eggs in the presentation basket. Also, "presentation-focused" games would become more expensive to make at a higher rate than the "gameplay-based" ones. In other words: Imagine if BotW or Elden Ring looked as nice as Horizon and you could only see real differences in a 4k display, or in small details in cutscenes. That wouldn't make Horizon a worse game by any means, but it would take away one of it's strongest selling points.

At the same time, games like Mario Oddyssey or BotW have only been possible due to the immense accumulated design knowledge that Nintendo already has. You can see this happening in many other games around the industry: Some studios have been going on for many years and have built a refined library of mechanics and systems that they can reuse and improve on new releases (for example, Astral Chain at times felt like a compilation of Platinum's best ideas). GoW2018, with how nice it looks and everything, still plays like a 10+ year old game under all the bells and whistles. By putting most of your effort in the presentation, these studios will lose ground at a faster pace to those other studios that keep feeding their design libraries, while these last ones get pulled forward on the presentation aspect by the advancements in hardware and tools that they get for "free".

In the last generations we've become tired of hearing how each gen took more time to start bringing in the good stuff than the last one. We're now 2 years into the new gen and there's still nothing on the horizon (no pun intended) that'll push consumers towards the new gen...and announcements like this remaster reinforce that feeling that it is not worth it to move to the next gen yet.

I'm specially focused on gameplay and don't mind graphics much; I can play the ugliest games as long as they're fun. I also value much more a strong artistic direction than sheer power-based visuals so I know that what I just said may be an extremist opinion to some...but I think it's not completely wrong :p

If anything it seems like a quick cash grab for sony

Yeah, but with such a short time since the original, original game compatibility with the current system, and an existing upgrade for it, I wonder what kind of demand there is for a remake, especially relative to what the budget for it would be (assuming that this is a remake proper). How many PS5 players, who want to play the game, do not already have the game playable on the same system, and how many of the game's current owners would be willing to upgrade, and for what price?

There has to be something that suggests to them it's a profitable project, if it has indeed been greenlit. I just don't see it myself off the bat and am curious.

I just want to have fun in this forum but everyone tries so hard to be a smartass
the two are not mutually exclusive, and our responses are to you being a smartass, so…

have the fun you wanna have but trying to be a jerk will always have blowback

There has to be something that suggests to them it's a profitable project, if it has indeed been greenlit
That’s the thing, I’m not personally interested in a remake but SIE has to think they can somehow make a tidy sum from this. I dunno. I heard people thinking it’s a synergy thing with an upcoming TV series, so that might be it.

That’s the thing, I’m not personally interested in a remake but SIE has to think they can somehow make a tidy sum from this. I dunno. I heard people thinking it’s a synergy thing with an upcoming TV series, so that might be it.

Yeah, that might explain it. If they're happy with the numbers Last of Us and Uncharted are doing on PS5, that could justify experimenting with an even more recent series. It'll be interesting to see how it sells, that's for sure.

Nintendo and Sony don’t know how to make new games anymore, and Microsoft can’t make games period.

What an industry.

Congratulations, really quick with the deflection. As Long as people are happy with SIEs 1st Party output, good for them I guess. I see a clear difference between these companies on this regard. Seems almost like Karma, people downplaying Switchs 1st Party lineup for its WiiU ports, getting served an even smaller 1st party lineup for PS5.

Anyway, this lack of constant releases and reduced variety, was one of the reasons, why people were bothered by Japan Studios closure. Kind of surreal how eager some people were to justify SIEs decisions that lead to the closure. You are welcome to enjoy the continuation of cynical financial business practices.

This makes perfect sense from a business standpoint. It would be a total waste to spend so much money on a cutting-edge AAA game and proceed to do nothing with those expensive assets. Basically:

1. Release a high-end sequel in one of your prestige series.
2. Remake a previous game in the same series using assets from the sequel.
3. Use the same assets to make a multiplayer GAAS.

You're getting three releases largely based around a single development cycle, one of which can be monetized long term.

This makes perfect sense from a business standpoint. It would be a total waste to spend so much money on a cutting-edge AAA game and proceed to do nothing with those expensive assets. Basically:

1. Release a high-end sequel in one of your prestige series.
2. Remake a previous game in the same series using assets from the sequel.
3. Use the same assets to make a multiplayer GAAS.

You're getting three releases largely based around a single development cycle, one of which can be monetized long term.
Even though I think it's to early for a remaster you are right in that it makes perfect sense. Plus if I'm not mistaken they want the Horizon IP to branch out in other media like a streaming series. A remaster is then an easy way to stay in the spotlight.

lol

boring decision about a boring game from a company that seems more and more invested in being boring

I've long thought that the "power-based" model of Sony was not sustainable: As technology advances, the differences between generations become smaller and smaller, while those in the past who didn't prioritize power (Nintendo) would little by little catch up. So eventually, we may reach a point where the difference between what the PS X and the Switch Y can produce will be negligible to the average consumer. So at that point, games built on a strong gameplay foundation would prevail over those that put most of their eggs in the presentation basket. Also, "presentation-focused" games would become more expensive to make at a higher rate than the "gameplay-based" ones. In other words: Imagine if BotW or Elden Ring looked as nice as Horizon and you could only see real differences in a 4k display, or in small details in cutscenes. That wouldn't make Horizon a worse game by any means, but it would take away one of it's strongest selling points.

At the same time, games like Mario Oddyssey or BotW have only been possible due to the immense accumulated design knowledge that Nintendo already has. You can see this happening in many other games around the industry: Some studios have been going on for many years and have built a refined library of mechanics and systems that they can reuse and improve on new releases (for example, Astral Chain at times felt like a compilation of Platinum's best ideas). GoW2018, with how nice it looks and everything, still plays like a 10+ year old game under all the bells and whistles. By putting most of your effort in the presentation, these studios will lose ground at a faster pace to those other studios that keep feeding their design libraries, while these last ones get pulled forward on the presentation aspect by the advancements in hardware and tools that they get for "free".

In the last generations we've become tired of hearing how each gen took more time to start bringing in the good stuff than the last one. We're now 2 years into the new gen and there's still nothing on the horizon (no pun intended) that'll push consumers towards the new gen...and announcements like this remaster reinforce that feeling that it is not worth it to move to the next gen yet.

I'm specially focused on gameplay and don't mind graphics much; I can play the ugliest games as long as they're fun. I also value much more a strong artistic direction than sheer power-based visuals so I know that what I just said may be an extremist opinion to some...but I think it's not completely wrong :p

I agree, what they presented is not cool. The world is cool, the characters are horrendous.

Should've made a Monster Hunter clone, not an Assassins Creed clone.
I don't know about Monster Hunter clone but I've started HZD twice and every time I wished I was playing a more linear or at least wide-linear game.

how about bringing back the Ratchet and Clank collection 🥲

And fixing it while they’re added. Still pretty buggy on PS3 lol. Your weapon would disappear and can’t see what you’re firing. But you’ll be hitting enemies. It’s hilarious but also infuriating lol.

Sony's strategy now is a cross industry one, they want their films and TV to compliment their games and vice versa. With a Horizon TV show in the works giving the first game an extra lease of life does make a degree of sense - particularly given how the events of the first game are going to be pretty critical to the TV show if it's a prequel series like it's been rumoured.

Still, it is a superfluous decision when the Zero Dawn is already available on PS5 and looks pretty damn awesome anyway. It just reveals where Sony's priorities are now. Their focus is now on the franchises that can cross the various media platforms and going in hard on them. They're not remastering games to fill out the schedule or to earn a cheap buck, ala Nintendo, they're doing it because they want Sony to provide an all in one entertainment hub, and the games they pick to remaster will compliment this strategy.

That being said, if there's any truth to the rumours of a Gravity Rush film/TV show, then GIVE ME THOSE REMASTERS ON PS5 RIGHT NOW I SWEAR TO GOD!

They probably regret giving the game away for free during the lockdown and are scrambling to find a way to make money out of it again.

That being said, if there's any truth to the rumours of a Gravity Rush film/TV show, then GIVE ME THOSE REMASTERS ON PS5 RIGHT NOW I SWEAR TO GOD!
Bold of you to think anything can make Sony care about 1st party Japanese titles at this point

Now, PlayStation? Yeah, I don’t have any idea what the hell is going on with them. I’ve never been less enthusiastic to own a PS console. Outside of Returnal, I don’t even know why I still have this thing. Other than Ragnarok, which I could just play on a PS4, there is literally nothing currently announced I have any interest in for that platform, whatsoever. And rumors like this one just leave me feeling like I wasted money buying this console.

Fortunately, I’m still absolutely loving my Switch and Series X (and that’s despite MS dealing with their own issues getting software out the door lol).

Damn I could've almost written this post myself. I was huge into Playstation for PS2, PS3, and most of PS4 -- PS5 has been an utter waste so far. I didn't even like Returnal. I did like Ratchet & Clank, but one $90 15 hour game in two years is a sad output.

I'm one "Final Fantasy XVI is also coming out on PS4" announcement away from maybe just selling it.

You are being banned for a week for sniping at users across threads and doubling down on antagonizing them even after others explained the issue. - paranoodle, Irene, Harina, Derachi, Red Monster
the two are not mutually exclusive, and our responses are to you being a smartass, so…

have the fun you wanna have but trying to be a jerk will always have blowback
Wrong order.

I wanted a fun discussion -> I created new thread -> Thread got a lot of smartass comments that state there would be no rumors in the future -> Members were proven wrong regardless if it is a nintendo rumor or not -> Those members are still trying to defend themselfes

I may ask why trash on my posts, when you can´t predict the future ?

This isn´t even the first time on this forum.
Back when we were speculating on the September 13th Direct, I asked if there was the possibility for a new Banjo Game.
Everyone trashed on that post with: " It´s an Xbox Game ... "

Well ...
FciroVrXkAAn7fb.jpg

article-1280x720.755a0f1f.jpg

Those got announced pretty much hand in hand

In the end, everyone is a jerk
This forum is worse than NeoGAF

Cheers!

I wanted a fun discussion -> I created new thread -> Thread got a lot of smartass comments that state there would be no rumors in the future -> Members were proven wrong regardless if it is a nintendo rumor or not -> Those members are still trying to defend themselfes
I don't know what you want from me. I still don't think there will be any major Nintendo rumors until early next year. You might take umbrage with the subjectivity of "major rumors" here, and it's true that we could disagree about what constitutes one. In my case I still believe that there will not be enough to justify a "latest Nintendo rumors" thread.

Do you want me to apologize? If you were upset by what I said you should have said so at the time. I was a bit snide because I knew about the archive and thought you had been presumptuous and disrespectful to that thread's creator. I now regret having been so rude, as I assumed you wouldn't be upset by that sort of meta-commentary. I'll try not to be so dismissive of people in the future, and I'm sorry.

I'm pretty excited for Spider-Man 2 (and Wolverine). I loved the first one so much, and Miles Morales was also really good.

I only played like 7 or so hours of HZD, didnt really care for it. Is the series really that good? The games don’t really seem that good. Just hype built on visuals and the robot dinosaurs.

Congratulations, really quick with the deflection. As Long as people are happy with SIEs 1st Party output, good for them I guess. I see a clear difference between these companies on this regard. Seems almost like Karma, people downplaying Switchs 1st Party lineup for its WiiU ports, getting served an even smaller 1st party lineup for PS5.

Anyway, this lack of constant releases and reduced variety, was one of the reasons, why people were bothered by Japan Studios closure. Kind of surreal how eager some people were to justify SIEs decisions that lead to the closure. You are welcome to enjoy the continuation of cynical financial business practices.
A lot of assumptions from a very simple shitpost. Don’t think too hard about it mate.

Until the AAA fever breaks this is going to become the norm.

A small number of highly funded, corporate conglomerates own the majority of high end game studios, and are waging a zero sum battle to capture the limited number of whale gamers who want an infinitely deep 100+ hour experience with hyper realistic graphics, and will spend hundreds of dollars not just on the games and their sequels but on the hardware to run them which is itself increasingly made by the same set of conglomerates.

This requires a massive investment of cash. Meanwhile the very gamers being targeted by these experiences are the same ones most likely to pull back on purchases for the slightest amount of dating in the graphical experience, a case of the snake eating the long tail of continued sales. This is made worse by the need for games to lead to become franchise to justify the cash outlay, leading to games sequels competing with themselves.

This problem, in the short term, provides its own solution. Sequels are based on updates to the same core engine, often reusing assets. Numbers of polygons are hitting their realism limits, meanwhile, textures can be brushed up with quality AI, reducing the number that need to be touched up by hand. These sequels become ready basis for “upgraded” versions of their predecessors.

This trend occurred in film as well, exacerbated by streaming who eventually also broke the back of it, with Netflix and Amazon starting to deliver the sort of the dialog driven content that Hollywood was abandoning as they increasingly fought for special effect driven franchises that could play equally well in any language.

I think the more Sony tries forcing Horizon to be a mega franchise, the less interested I am in it.

It just doesn't have the appeal to get past (maybe) a trilogy..
I feel like it was very much a right place right time game. The sales from the first game were crazy but I don’t think it was totally indicative of how much people were interested it as an IP rather than a one off. It was cool to see Guerilla Games branch off from Killzone and do something new. But now if the remaster rumors are true that just says to me they are completely out of ideas on what to do with it and should move on and do a new IP again. Killzone had big issues with diminishing returns as that series went on as well

This is why having a large, diverse line up of games across different sorts of genres is so important. Sony just putting all of their chips behind a handful of series based solely off raw data rather than looking at the bigger picture was such a mistake

might be a bit of a weird example but Ring Fit reminds me of another “right place right time” sort of a game where I can imagine if Nintendo sunk a lot of money and advertising into a sequel that ring fit 2 or w/e ..could easily not even do half the sales of the first game no matter how hard they pushed it. One game being a smash hit doesnt mean all its sequels are guaranteed to be

I feel like it was very much a right place right time game. The sales from the first game were crazy but I don’t think it was totally indicative of how much people were interested it as an IP rather than a one off. It was cool to see Guerilla Games branch off from Killzone and do something new. But now if the remaster rumors are true that just says to me they are completely out of ideas on what to do with it and should move on and do a new IP again. Killzone had big issues with diminishing returns as that series went on as well

This is why having a large, diverse line up of games across different sorts of genres is so important. Sony just putting all of their chips behind a handful of series based solely off raw data rather than looking at the bigger picture was such a mistake

might be a bit of a weird example but Ring Fit reminds me of another “right place right time” sort of a game where I can imagine if Nintendo sunk a lot of money and advertising into a sequel that ring fit 2 or w/e ..could easily not even do half the sales of the first game no matter how hard they pushed it. One game being a smash hit doesnt mean all its sequels are guaranteed to be
I would argue it's hard to measure the interest in the series when Sony forces you to buy the game via bundles. Sony has been forcing HFW PS5 bundles in the U.S. nearly all year as a back door price increase. There's no way to tell how many people actually care about the series based on sales alone.

Back
Top Bottom