• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Rumour Horizon Zero Dawn Remaster/Remake is in the works alongside a Multiplayer game set in the Horizon Universe

And really, with just 2 years between releases, Splatoon 2 was even more of a remaster of Splatoon 1 than Splatoon 3 was.

Fight me

Not happening until 2024 at the earliest as long as the sales situation in Japan persists.

Agreed as far as the industry is concerned in general. I was mainly referring to PS Studios games. Spider-man and Wolverine are currently being developed as PS5 only games (according to Insomniac). While nothing has been confirmed, I think that there is a better than 0% chance that Factions will skip the PS4. IMO going forward all of Sony's projects will be PS5 only except for MLB and maybe Factions.

Agreed as far as the industry is concerned in general. I was mainly referring to PS Studios games. Spider-man and Wolverine are currently a PS5 only game. While nothing has been confirmed, I think that there is a better than 0% chance that Factions will skip the PS4. IMO going forward all of Sony's projects will be PS5 only except for MLB and maybe Factions.
Ah yea, I agree that at this point if Sony wants to get away from the PS4 they're going to start with their internal teams and hope that their partners follow suit more than they have to date.

And if that's the case then having a new version for HZD that's a better experience for wholly new customers (ie. never had a PS4) then this move makes some sense. But it's still a weird move. Hopefully for existing folks this is going to be a $20 upgrade delivered as DLC like with the 3rd or 4th Skyrim release that just dropped on Switch last week :)

And i thought that tlou part 1 was the most useless remake ever but this one takes the cake.
It genuinely feels like a joke.

I just hope this isn't a part of the 25 exclusives Sony had promised because this isn't interesting at all

Honestly if it’s like the other “remasters” for the PS5 like Ghost of Tsushima, Death Stranding and Uncharted then that’s whatever. Main issue would be if there is no upgrade path for currently owners and maybe pricing.

Far more interested in the multiplayer game though and assuming if this is to be reveal soon then it gives credibility to a PlayStation event this month.

So yeah I think this is dumb. They said, I would absolutely eat up a BotW remaster for the next Switch so I guess I can’t talk too much shit. But ZD absolutely does not need a remaster. I wish Sony would focus more on remasters/remakes of much older titles.

Like the PS3 is right there, and it’s more or less a loss gen of Sony’s due to the dumb architecture it used. Why don’t they remaster some of those games?

Well, on the plus side each Horizon game gets overshadowed by something with immense hype so maybe this foreshadows an actually dope remake/remaster coming.

I'd vote for Rogue Squadron trilogy.

honestly sony is being really inefficient here. releasing a game and then waiting years to release the remaster? why not work on the game and the remaster at the same time? much more efficient and doubles the profits!

Well, on the plus side each Horizon game gets overshadowed by something with immense hype so maybe this foreshadows an actually dope remake/remaster coming.

I'd vote for Rogue Squadron trilogy.
Sony's just mad at Nintendo that Tears of the Kingdom didn't release close to Forbidden West. Now they're remaking Zero Dawn to ensure that they can release something Horizon related within the same month as Zelda.

I like how there are people talking about how BOTW2 won't set itself apart from the original and won't bring enough new stuff to the table...

...and then Sony turns around and realizes that they can get away with barely making new stuff at all. The industry is looking dire right now tbh
Honestly, the industry as a whole seems…fine? Like yeah, Covid really screwed things up, but overall, there’s still lots of great stuff to play and plenty coming up to look forward to. At least, that’s how I feel.

Now, PlayStation? Yeah, I don’t have any idea what the hell is going on with them. I’ve never been less enthusiastic to own a PS console. Outside of Returnal, I don’t even know why I still have this thing. Other than Ragnarok, which I could just play on a PS4, there is literally nothing currently announced I have any interest in for that platform, whatsoever. And rumors like this one just leave me feeling like I wasted money buying this console.

Fortunately, I’m still absolutely loving my Switch and Series X (and that’s despite MS dealing with their own issues getting software out the door lol).

If this is just one of those $10/20 upgrade patches, sure.

If this is a full rerelease, that's bizarre.

The leaks seem to point towards it being a remaster so I think it will be like Uncharted: Legacy Collection. $50 purchase with an upgrade path for those who already own the game.

This new generation is hella boring and uninteresting. For real, I just cant with it so far..

I've bought 3 games in totalfor my day 1 SX - all of which I could have played on my old PS4/Xbox One

Sony is going to remaster/remake all their biggest hits from the last few years arent they?

So far the only games I've bought for my PS5 were either:

• Included with the PS4 version I bought previously.
  • Have an existing PS4 version.

I have yet to buy a PS5 game that's a true exclusive to the console.

The online multiplayer I can get behind, as the combat is what I really enjoyed in the game (and pretty much the only thing I enjoyed, but let's not go into that). The idea of a remake, however, sounds completely absurd.

I think the accessibility is key here.

I'm really rooting for Last of Us Pt 1, not only because it looks jaw-dropping, but also that a remake allowed them to add so many accessibility features, something I always think is important highlighting.

But Forbidden West exists, which is basically Zero Dawn but miles better, and FW has a lot of accessibility features too. So I think ZD with accessibility won't hit hard at all, because I do personally think FW sort of diminished ZD rather extensively.

I know Last of Us Pt 2 exists, but I consider those games to be different enough to both stand on their own.

It’s sarcastic but he‘s kinda right. Sony leans so much on Remakes and Nintendo on ports. Imagine a mainline Nintendo console without its own Mario Kart or 2D Mario.
Nintendo at least has the abysmal Wii U sales as an excuse.

I love what Sony and Housemarque did with Returnal, but other than that, their first party output has become super dull. I get they put in a lot of work rebooting or starting new series (God of War 2018, Horizon 2017) and they are in the right to make more of this stuff, but I dunno. This stuff just isn't hitting for me anymore.

I'm sure you think mentioning that other thread with some sort of bad-faith deliberately-ignoring-context gotcha is some sort of leet mic-drop moment, but...it's not. It just makes you look petty and small, "lmao."

I mean you’re predicating your dunk on your Nintendo Rumor thread, trying to thrash a comment that was in response to your Nintendo Rumor thread, so…

the statement holds and your dunk takes the dive

I’m sorry but the wordmath on your rebuttal is universally disputable

I just want to have fun in this forum but everyone tries so hard to be a smartass

Maybe I’m just not plugged in to what consumers want, but does anyone actually want remasters of games that came out a gen ago that are already playable via backwards compatibility? Is there really enough demand for this sort of thing to justify the effort?

I don't think these are as equivalent as you think they are. Wii U was an absolute bomb of a system. Porting the vast majority of the Wii U first-party catalog was a smart move because ports are cheaper than building a game from scratch (much less pre-production work) and the significantly larger Switch audience meant that they could recoup the development efforts and then some for both the original release and the port work. It's was also a good way to bulk out the library for the Switch with games that weren't going to get an iterative sequel like Splatoon and Smash 4.

Nintendo's made it exceedingly clear at this point that they're relegating the Wii U to the same bin as the Virtual Boy and would be happier if everyone just forgot it existed 😂

PS4 was not a commercial disaster in the same way the Wii U was and ZHD was a 20 million seller as of last update and the game can easily be played on PS5. No one is asking for this.

I think this is sadly their end game with their current strategy. Video games are being used as an incubator for the movie/TV division, which is why they want massive big budget hits at the expense of more creative, riskier, and smaller budget ventures.
You’re right.
I just find it sad that people who did buy the Wii U and supported Nintendo even when the times were worse, now have a lot less new games to play. But yeah, this remastering thing Sony does for last gen games is mind-boggling

Maybe I’m just not plugged in to what consumers want, but does anyone actually want remasters of games that came out a gen ago that are already playable via backwards compatibility? Is there really enough demand for this sort of thing to justify the effort?
You have to think the majority of PS5 owners are people who owned a PS4 and at some point could have scooped up Horizon for $10-20 if they wanted it. So yeah, I don't get it lol

It’s especially weird because Horizon already got a PS5 enhancement patch.

TLOU1 was, at least, a PS3 game. And there was the excuse of the new HBO show. You can kind of understand why Sony would want a “definitive version” of the near decade-old game. But Horizon? Ehhh…

That said, the GameCube Resident Evil remake is an all-time classic and that was only released six years after the original. But, idunno. It sort of felt like the leaps between generations were a lot less…subtle, then.

I’m gonna wait to see if this rumor materializes, but yeah, a full on remake certainly sounds like a corporate decision.
You have to think the majority of PS5 owners are people who owned a PS4 and at some point could have scooped up Horizon for $10-20 if they wanted it. So yeah, I don't get it lol
This is what I’m wondering about that too; how big is the potential audience of this game supposed to be?

The main issue that I have with Sony is the lack of a steady and high quality flow of AA games like Sly Cooper, Astrobot, Ape Escape etc., games that are necessary to flesh out the line up providing at the same time quality experience. News like this really bothers me, it's almost like Sony is uninterested to fund games that are only single player-story driven experience and live service games. bummers.

I suspect this is gonna be similar to their Spider-Man Remaster: Updates for the engine, the DLC, new assets etc. to make it look closer to Forbidden West and some extras. I doubt it's going to take nearly as many resources as something like the TLOU remake but I can see why people aren't happy when the game is already perfectly playable on PS5 (and looks great to boot).

Also, um:

A document featuring several announced and unannounced Sony Interactive Entertainment projects—including a remastered version of Horizon Zero Dawn for PlayStation 5, and Horizon online multiplayer project for PlayStation 5 and PC—was recently shared with Gematsu. Gematsu was able to independently verify several titles listed in the document with multiple sources familiar with their development, including the Horizon titles.

The main issue that I have with Sony is the lack of a steady and high quality flow of AA games like Sly Cooper, Astrobot, Ape Escape etc., games that are necessary to flesh out the line up providing at the same time quality experience. News like this really bothers me, it's almost like Sony is uninterested to fund games that are only single player-story driven experience and live service games. bummers.
This. 100% this. I don't like this shift they're having towards big AAA prestige games since a few years. It lacks fun, surprise, and is also bad for the devs who have to work under a tremendous amount of pressure on each game (and can't push new ideas that can be explored in AA games).

It's funny though. Imagine if in the Xbox/PS2 era a dude would've come to you and say "in one hand I have first party Sony games, and on the other hand I have first party Xbox games. Can you guess which is which ?"

Fe-GIa-Lq-WYAAWm8.jpg

I never would've guessed that, because at the time Sony was pretty good at making fun video games. Nowadays, everything have to be serious, realistic, with a huge budget and... I guess it's just not for me anymore.

Everything that is getting a movie/show is gonna get a remaster/remake, isn't it?

So far the only games I've bought for my PS5 were either:

• Included with the PS4 version I bought previously.
  • Have an existing PS4 version.

I have yet to buy a PS5 game that's a true exclusive to the console.
There are only like 5 of them lol, it's kind of weird to see the new gen consoles really being upgraded older consoles much more so than ever before.

But I'm not complaining, means I'll be able to play most games without buying a PS5

I saw someone on Era say that they're rebranding SoP's to "State of Played" 😭

This. 100% this. I don't like this shift they're having towards big AAA prestige games since a few years. It lacks fun, surprise, and is also bad for the devs who have to work under a tremendous amount of pressure on each game (and can't push new ideas that can be explored in AA games).

It's funny though. Imagine if in the Xbox/PS2 era a dude would've come to you and say "in one hand I have first party Sony games, and on the other hand I have first party Xbox games. Can you guess which is which ?"

Fe-GIa-Lq-WYAAWm8.jpg

I never would've guessed that, because at the time Sony was pretty good at making fun video games. Nowadays, everything have to be serious, realistic, with a huge budget and... I guess it's just not for me anymore.
I think this probably shows more how Sony's big AAA productions suck up the mindshare from most of their other efforts but they did have Sackboy, Ratchet & Clank, Spider-Man: Miles Morales and Destruction All-Stars (plus Astro's Playroom as a pack-in) in the first year of the PS5 as far as "less serious" games go. I suspect we'll also see more of that stuff on PSVR2.

Personally speaking, and this feels like beating a dead horse at this point, the loss of Japan Studio and the games that came from them hurts the most but I feel this was always the outcome given the issues that department had. They had a hand in my most meaningful PlayStation memories but I'm also not really the kind of customer that Sony primarily targets these days.

Sony's banking hard on the prestige cross-media strategy that TLOU spearheaded. Gotta keep your high-profile overly self-seriously pretentious don't @ me properties in the news in a way that doesn't rock the boat until you have all moving parts aligned. From that dry, zoomed-out perspective it makes sense: the challenge isn't in creative innovation, but logistics.

I just watched Tim Rogers' most recent video about a PS1 era game, where he sings the praises of PS1's super varied library of games. It's kinda sad to see that PlayStation first party has become the Hollywood of video games after PS2: enormously big and utterly predictable.

Back
Top Bottom