• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Rumour Horizon Zero Dawn Remaster/Remake is in the works alongside a Multiplayer game set in the Horizon Universe

Just my opinion, but I feel like Sony is trying to convince the world that their IP are as strong and important as they come. But not only do these games cost boatloads of cash to make (and that number is increasing), they’re also narrative first adding the added challenge of demanding good writing, acting and reasonable continuity.

The next title could be 6 years out, and it’s not like Forbidden West struck gold; sales have fallen off somewhat quickly have they not? The TV show, and now this remake are probably just to make sure the franchise is in the spotlight as often as possible.

Edit: typos

Last edited:
I think, at this rate, I'm going to be begging for Bloodborne and Metroid Prime remasters forever. 🥲 One of these needs to finally come to fruition already. 😩 Horizon Zero Dawn already runs at 60, with PS5 patch. Bloodborne, meanwhile, is still hanging out in the corner with a poop framerate, despite being one of Sony's most beloved PS4 titles.

Dusk Golem, Jawmuncher, and the VGC author all said in the Era thread that the project is purely a visuals redo + PS5 exclusive features. Jawmuncher specifically said it was like TLOU P1 where you can kinda go back and forth whether it's effectively a remaster or a remake. Even if it is just a remaster, it has to be the most asinine project Sony has ever done. It already runs at 4k60 on the PS5 for fuck's sake

The comically unnecessary remake aside, what kind of multiplayer are they talking about? A MonHun clone? Horizon Battle Royale?

9vsdypukq7t41.png

Now this is a little surprising. Like I found TLoU 1 remake to be kinda pointless as the game hadn't aged all that much and is still available on PS5 via BC but I can kinda understand the reason why as it's also two generations old at this point and they wanna do a big multimedia push with the show, upcoming multiplayer game, etc. Here, well, not sure how much it'll really add, especially for a game that's still as high end as they come. Like PS4/XB1 games are going to age remarkably well imo, aside from perhaps some of the facial animations and what have you, and be easily available on modern systems at rock solid resolutions and performance for quite some time

Just make the multiplayer standalone. We don’t need a remaster of a game that was already remastered.

I remember being super pumped for Sony’s output after their first two PS5 showcases, and the only stuff that’s been announced since then are Spider-Man 2 and Wolverine, neither of which have any gameplay. Don’t regret my PS5, the improved performance is nice, but Sony’s game development has been so, so boring.

And how do you know that those aren´t gonna pop up ?
Regardless if it is a Nintendo rumor or not that statement aged like milk within minutes lmao
Considering the thread was about Nintendo rumors, it seems pretty obvious to me that Raccoon was talking about, well, Nintendo rumors. Which rarely show up outside of direct season. And if anything does, it’d get its own thread like this.

So no, nothing ages like milk here.

"HD Remaster" of a game 5+ years old is not a big deal and something we've seen plenty of times, though it seems far less necessary when PS4/One games can already get pretty big improvements on their successor systems. Remake... well, it's happened before, but hard to think of many past like PS1->GameCube when it was a pretty massive difference.

Regardless if it is a Nintendo rumor or not that statement aged like milk within minutes lmao
I'm sure you think mentioning that other thread with some sort of bad-faith deliberately-ignoring-context gotcha is some sort of leet mic-drop moment, but...it's not. It just makes you look petty and small, "lmao."

I mean you’re predicating your dunk on your Nintendo Rumor thread, trying to thrash a comment that was in response to your Nintendo Rumor thread, so…

the statement holds and your dunk takes the dive

I’m sorry but the wordmath on your rebuttal is universally disputable

Same I’m at the point where I just wanna build a pc and sell my Ps5.
I mean, Im not quite at that point since I know I’ll get some good use out of mine with games like FF16 and 7 Rebirth, Spider-Man 2 and I’ll probably end up playing the new God of War eventually

It’s just so frustrating to watch Sony’s obsession with blockbusters stifle their output like this. It’s possible to make smaller, less costly games that still pull respectable numbers. But nope, EVERYTHING must big AAA blockbuster, even if its just rehashing the same game, again

Last edited:
I'm sure you think mentioning that other thread with some sort of bad-faith deliberately-ignoring-context gotcha is some sort of leet mic-drop moment, but...it's not. It just makes you look petty and small, "lmao."
oh shit ‘sup Gay Bowser

or should I say… They Bowser!

Can't wait for the God of War (2018) Remake in 2 years' time!
Don't even think it's that unlikely. Isn't GoW getting a TV show?

Fwiw I don't think this will be equivalent to the TLOU1 PS5 release and is more likely to be some kinda 10$ upgrade patch, but a full price rerelease wouldn't surprise me anymore either with this industry.

I just played this nine months ago. It 100% does not need a remaster. It looks and runs fantastic on PS5. The original release even had a form of 4K with PS4 Pro. What a colossal waste of time outside of the accessibility features.

I mean, Im not quite at that point since I know I’ll get some good use out of mine with games like FF16 and 7 Rebirth, Spider-Man 2 and I’ll probably end up playing the new God of War eventually

It’s just so frustrating to watch Sony’s obsession with blockbusters stifle their output like this. It’s possible to make smaller, less costly games that still pull respectable numbers. But nope, EVERYTHING must big AAA blockbuster, even if its just rehashing the same game, again
nintendo is out here getting a kirby fall guys spinoff charting meanwhile sony is speed running the gap between original release and remake

I think the remaster/remake wave is happening a bit across the entire industry at this point. I don't know whether if it's a creativity drought, or if it's the weight of the seemingly unsustainable costs of AAA game developing these days, maybe both, but this possible Horizon remaster/remake idea sounds the most ridiculous to me by far. This is a five-year old game that looks stunning to this day, a successful game released on a very successful console

More evidence that backwards compatibility does not stop the remake/remaster train.

It’s sarcastic but he‘s kinda right. Sony leans so much on Remakes and Nintendo on ports. Imagine a mainline Nintendo console without its own Mario Kart or 2D Mario.
I don't think these are as equivalent as you think they are. Wii U was an absolute bomb of a system. Porting the vast majority of the Wii U first-party catalog was a smart move because ports are cheaper than building a game from scratch (much less pre-production work) and the significantly larger Switch audience meant that they could recoup the development efforts and then some for both the original release and the port work. It's was also a good way to bulk out the library for the Switch with games that weren't going to get an iterative sequel like Splatoon and Smash 4.

Nintendo's made it exceedingly clear at this point that they're relegating the Wii U to the same bin as the Virtual Boy and would be happier if everyone just forgot it existed 😂

PS4 was not a commercial disaster in the same way the Wii U was and ZHD was a 20 million seller as of last update and the game can easily be played on PS5. No one is asking for this.

It’s gonna get boring if Sony release schedule becomes dictated by synergy between movies/tv and games.
I think this is sadly their end game with their current strategy. Video games are being used as an incubator for the movie/TV division, which is why they want massive big budget hits at the expense of more creative, riskier, and smaller budget ventures.

So my take on the Sunday afternoon news reel (assuming the rumors are true)

• A Horizon 1 Remaster is cool IMO. It isn't going to take up massive resources like a remake would. If there is a $10~20 upgrade path for those of us already owning the game, then that is fine. If Sony tries to sell it as a $70 full price game with no upgrade option, then we can have that conversation later.
  • I assumed that the MP project by Guerilla was something completely different (maybe a shooter?). I am really curious as to what it is. I feel like it will be something I love, or something I have no interest in. Maybe it is a GAAS game?
  • The MP game being PS5/PC only is another good sign that cross-gen is coming to an end.
  • Guerilla seems to be 110% full steam ahead with the Horizon IP for the forseeable future.
  • I understand that we are going on a year with minimal updates from Sony regarding first party PS Studios projects, but some people need to calm down lol. It is just video games.

I don't see the big deal, Nintendo just released a remaster of 2017's Splatoon 2 less than a month ago and everyone loves it. ;)
And really, with just 2 years between releases, Splatoon 2 was even more of a remaster of Splatoon 1 than Splatoon 3 was.

Fight me

The MP game being PS5/PC only is another good sign that cross-gen is coming to an end.
Not happening until 2024 at the earliest as long as the sales situation in Japan persists.

I don’t get it.

The game looks fine as is, but you kno, I’m kind of getting the same vibe as when older media types were replaced. Old movie, re-release with better visuals.

A five year old game though… that’s a bit rich

Back
Top Bottom