• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

News Hideki Kamiya to leave PlatinumGames on October 12th

MondoMega

Puffball Enthusiast
Pronouns
She/They
Very sudden and surprising news; not sure what to say. As of now the status of Project G.G., the new IP he was directing, is unclear.

I think Nintendo will keep an eyes real close on him like Sony did with Kojima given their relationship

damn, that's sad
i wonder if it has anything to do with projects he pushed like w101 remaster and sol cresta bombing

Best of luck to him - I don't feel he has had the best decade with TW101 bombing and Scalebound being cancelled.

Even Bayo 3 had divisive elements which didn't sit well with some of that fanbase, even though he didn't direct that particular game.

Wonder what the future holds for him. People are mentioning Nintendo but I just can't see it.

Platinum seem to be in a weird state. Bayo 3 sold over a million so they're probably doing okay, but the vibe has been all over the place since Nier Automata. Feels like a lot of people have left.

Curious what's next for him, hope him the best. Curious how this will affect their current plans.

Damn, Platinum basically have no more of the key members/founders.

I wonder if he got frustrated that some of his personal projects weren’t panning out(Scalebound and Project GG)

Wasn't expecting to read this first thing in the morning. Wow.

I wonder if Netease or Tencent poached him?

I feel very conflicted about this. On the one hand I have great respect for Kamiya, he's definitely one of the greatest game creators of all time.

On the other hand ... none of his works have really panned out since like, 2010. Obviously he's a big advocate for Bayonetta and that's important, but the IP is consistent and has tons of advocates in the company at this point. With Astral Chain, Nier and new Bayonettas not really coming from Kamiya anymore, I'm not sure how relevant his work was with flops like The Wonderful 101, Sol Cresta, and the cancellation of Scalebound. It was admittedly kind of frustrating as a PlatinumGames fan knowing they were going to sink money into G.G. which was probably going to bomb anyways.

Wonder what’s next for him. Definitely doesn’t seem like an amicable split, but I also think Platinum could be in serious trouble, being a mid-sized Japanese studio is not a favorable position to be in nowadays.

Wow, end of an era.

I somehow have a feeling he's going to a Netease or something.

I hope we'll see where he lands soon.

Wonder what’s next for him. Definitely doesn’t seem like an amicable split, but I also think Platinum could be in serious trouble, being a mid-sized Japanese studio is not a favorable position to be in nowadays.
eh, I'm not worried much as they already have a new rising star such as Taura and runner up with Miyata (Bayo3's director)

Sometime scenery of change is needed, maybe this is one of those things.

Wonder if someone throws money at him to create some crazy stuff..

It's time for Nintendo to set up a white cube in Osaka and have Kamiya lead the EPD team in said cube.

In all seriousness though, some fairly serious disagreement or development must've happened for Kamiya to leave Platinum. Best of luck to him, whatever he ends up doing next.

This is shocking. He literally left Capcom with Inaba to make this company. I think Platinum has come a long way since then so I think the company will be fine, but I'm still in disbelief that Kamiya would ever leave.

Woah, unexpected.

Especially so since it definitely feels P* did a lot of decisions to appease him, like buying the rights for W101 for a multiplatform port, this Sol Cresta thing and his "big" project GG.

Wonder where he ends up, or if he starts a new studio on his own.

It's time for Nintendo to set up a white cube in Osaka and have Kamiya lead the EPD team in said cube.

In all seriousness though, some fairly serious disagreement or development must've happened for Kamiya to leave Platinum. Best of luck to him, whatever he ends up doing next.

It's a gut feeling, sure, but i don't think he wants to join Nintendo.

And frankly, i think he's too difficult to handle for Nintendo to even actively think about going after him.

I could see him going to NetEase.

Wild news to wake up to but it increasingly looked like the company’s direction became incompatible with his style. Wouldn’t be surprised if he’s getting a big bag of cash from a Chinese company but I wonder what will happen to Project GG. It’s probably cancelled.

When people like him go "solo", things usually aren't getting any better. This is very, very disappointing as both a fan of his and PlatinumGames' work.

Wow. Outta nowhere. I was just thinking about Project GG today and how we would likely at least see it in 2024. TW101 is my favorite action game of all time, and I was looking forward to the third installment in the Hero trilogy. And he was just talking about how he has ideas for a ton more Bayonetta games...

I won't lie I'm really bummed about this, but obviously he should do what he wants and needs. I'll be there for whatever he does next.

at the end of the day, as many suspected, the move into self publishing and the whole platinum 4 campaign ended up being not so great for the studio. it's understandable how they wanted to get into self publishing and owning their own IP when after years of being in the industry they had nothing to their name, but that whole campaign and what came out of it in retrospect just seems like a massive waste of time and money for the studio. i suspect a lot of that push was by kamiya, so i wonder with him gone (and project gg being likely cancelled) they'd be happy to go back to being a for hire studio for other publishers.

at the end of the day, as many suspected, the move into self publishing and the whole platinum 4 campaign ended up being not so great for the studio. it's understandable how they wanted to get into self publishing and owning their own IP when after years of being in the industry they had nothing to their name, but that whole campaign and what came out of it in retrospect just seems like a massive waste of time and money for the studio. i suspect a lot of that push was by kamiya, so i wonder with him gone (and project gg being likely cancelled) they'd be happy to go back to being a for hire studio for other publishers.

Honestly, i would think he was actually against this GaaS focus.

He doesn't feel like the person who was into these projects.

Honestly, i would think he was actually against this GaaS focus.

He doesn't feel like the person who was into these projects.
maybe not babylon's fall (but that flopping was mostly felt by SE not platinum) but he for sure was behind w101 remastered and sol cresta.

maybe not babylon's fall (but that flopping was mostly felt by SE not platinum) but he for sure was behind w101 remastered and sol cresta.

Yeah, he was definitely the driving factor for these two, and G.G.

But i wouldn't call either of those two examples GaaS. ^^

Judging by the games he was actually involved with it seems more like the other way around.
He seems more like a creative person, he seems to care more about making games he likes and not like someone would push for more business focused moves like the whole self-publishing thing and moving to games as a service direction they have been trying to go towards.

I’m not sure why people are sad. The guy doesn’t even develop games anymore. If you like his games this is probably good news. The outcome would be he goes somewhere else and directs games that he wants.

I’m not sure why people are sad. The guy doesn’t even develop games anymore. If you like his games this is probably good news. The outcome would be he goes somewhere else and directs games that he wants.

What do you mean he doesn't develop games. He's literally been directing GG for like four years.

Maybe some higher ups asked how many copies project GG would have sold

He's one of the founders, and literally the vice-president of P* right now.

The only higher up would be Inaba, and i doubt Inaba would've actively and openly gone against Kamiya.
If anything, the PR released by P* reads like they didn't want him to leave.

Yeah, he was definitely the driving factor for these two, and G.G.

But i wouldn't call either of those two examples GaaS. ^^
Judging by the games he was actually involved with it seems more like the other way around.
He seems more like a creative person, he seems to care more about making games he likes and not like someone would push for more business focused moves like the whole self-publishing thing and moving to games as a service direction they have been trying to go towards.
Mazi's point was about the self-publishing, though, which as far as we know has been way more destructive than any GaaS game so far since Square Enix at least bankrolled Babylon's Fall.

Is the self-publishing part of the GaaS strategy? I thought those were two separate updates from the company. Either way, considering The Wonderful 101 Remastered, Sol Cresta, and Project G.G. were the self-published projects, all of which were Kamiya's babies and all of which would have probably bombed, it doesn't seem too crazy to suggest he probably pushed for self-publishing and it was a destructive decision. Even if I don't think Platinum wanted him to leave, they probably wanted to keep him as a producer or supervisor.

Man, this just makes me think about how Platinum's REALLY not in a good shape as of late. The last game of theirs I really liked came out 10 years ago

Interesting tweet for Kamiya to post soon after the news... (mild NSFW I guess?)

"I just noticed that my pants are torn to a degree I've never seen before..."

Didn't PG hint at showing more of G.G. at TGS a few months ago? The no-show already worried me. I honestly think they've should made it a (timed) Nintendo exclusive like the past 2 games in the Hero trilogy (duology? :().

Mazi's point was about the self-publishing, though, which as far as we know has been way more destructive than any GaaS game so far since Square Enix at least bankrolled Babylon's Fall.

Is the self-publishing part of the GaaS strategy? I thought those were two separate updates from the company. Either way, considering The Wonderful 101 Remastered, Sol Cresta, and Project G.G. were the self-published projects, all of which were Kamiya's babies and all of which would have probably bombed, it doesn't seem too crazy to suggest he probably pushed for self-publishing and it was a destructive decision. Even if I don't think Platinum wanted him to leave, they probably wanted to keep him as a producer or supervisor.

I think if the live servie / GaaS focus wasn't a part of the self-publishing, they wouldn't have had to say this as a part of their restructuring.

If it was just "grunt" work, like it was for Babylons Fall, it would've been something P* has been doing for a while now.

After all, they wanna own the IPs they create. The Gaas / live service stuff is definetly a part of this.

Back
Top Bottom