• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

News Hideki Kamiya to leave PlatinumGames on October 12th

Some nuance is needed here, platinum can survive without him but he was definitely an important figurehead and still produced titles. Also he clearly still has talent

Platinum has had most of it's recent sucess with Nintedo outside of Automata (and Square is now doing that on their own). They would be fools to stop that
Square going their own way with Nier, going as far as to build their own development team, only to rely on Platinum to make parts of FFXVI (which, if fan speculation is correct were pretty meaty parts of the game) is such a weird move. Wonder what was going through their heads to rely on Platinum for FF but not Nier. I can imagine what it was, but it ... made the next Nier game take too long.

I just hope Bayonetta doesn't get Megamand in response to this (essentially shuttered for years because the creator/head of franchise left)
Mega Man was only on ice for like 3 years. Mega Man 11 started preproduction in early 2016. It is largely the fault of Mega Man fans being whiny babies that made the gap seem so long, as if Mega Man didn't have enough milked series already.

To be fully honest

PlatinumGames are a studio that make really well-received games that almost always never click with me. Everyone talks about how good Bayonetta is, I buy it (like three times) and try it and just bounce off. Wonderful 101? I love Super Sentai, so I gave it a shot… twice (Wii U and Switch) and… nope. Bounced right off.

The only PlatinumGames game I have put any time into that really clicked with me so far is Astral Chain. I bought it at launch and didn’t boot it up until a few weeks ago, and I’m having a lot of fun with it! Not sure what it is about Astral Chain that works for me where their other games didn’t, but I’ll probably actually see this one through to the end. So I hope, whatever else happens, P* can maybe revisit Astral Chain with a sequel or something.

In any case, I doubt we’ll ever get the full story here. Something went sour and someone (maybe Kamiya himself) wanted Kamiya out. I wonder what P*’s future looks like…

Square going their own way with Nier, going as far as to build their own development team, only to rely on Platinum to make parts of FFXVI (which, if fan speculation is correct were pretty meaty parts of the game) is such a weird move. Wonder what was going through their heads to rely on Platinum for FF but not Nier. I can imagine what it was, but it ... made the next Nier game take too long.
What part of FFXVI do we think Platinum was involved in? I can see 1 eikon fight for sure.

Considering Nier, I think it makes sense that SquareEnix wouldn't rely on external developers for a series with sales potential as strong as Nier. This could potentially allow them to release games more often in the long run if they have a dedicated team.
I think both companies still have a good relationship and I can't see Platinum not helping on the next Nier, even if they are no longer the main developers. Taura supervised the combat system of the Nier Replicant remake, meaning they consider him the main game designer of the Nier series' combat system from now on.

What part of FFXVI do we think Platinum was involved in? I can see 1 eikon fight for sure.

Considering Nier, I think it makes sense that SquareEnix wouldn't rely on external developers for a series with sales potential as strong as Nier. This could potentially allow them to release games more often in the long run if they have a dedicated team.
I think both companies still have a good relationship and I can't see Platinum not helping on the next Nier, even if they are no longer the main developers. Taura supervised the combat system of the Nier Replicant remake, meaning they consider him the main game designer of the Nier series' combat system from now on.
Honestly, the speculation I saw was always that they helped develop all the Eikon parts in general. The wording of their announcement in the Final Fantasy XVI development video seemed to imply they worked on "a part" of Final Fantasy XVI, so I wouldn't be surprised if they were heavily involved in Eikons in general since they are specifically their own part of gameplay in XVI.

Oh yeah, I 100% understand why Square Enix is making Nier in-house, going forward. That's why I said I could imagine what it was. I just ... think in retrospect, the way they went about it, while probably pretty healthy, was fairly extreme. Nier has the opportunity to become a pillar for SE (which is admittedly harder than other franchises given how much of it is based on Yoko Taro, but still), Nier Automata sold more than most of their games. So it feels like it would have made more sense to do a 50/50 thing, where they spent a year or two building up internal talent, but then still partnered with Platinum for the next game to get the game out quicker. As it stands now, Nier Automata's sequel won't be out till 7 years after the original game at the earliest. Even with Replicant in between, that's not exactly the best way to build a franchise.

This is probably similar to Toshihiro Nagoshi's situation where Kamiya was so high up in the corporate structure that he couldn't "make" games anymore. Don't think there's any bad blood considering PG tweeted out the announcement and Kamiya was still posting in the office.

I allow myself to go out a bit on this and say: Bayonetta being dead again now or not is Nintendo's decision.

SEGA own the IP, but i don't think there's any plan to ever use it on their own motivation again.
And P* won't say no in case Nintendo and SEGA approach them for a new one.
I’m still shrouded Nintendo hasn’t gone for full ownership.

The only way I see they haven’t is sega just refusing it.

But yeah I fully expect platinum to go almost 100% Nintendo support studio now.

Considering that the studio is kinda his baby, this is pretty shocking. Like he left Capcom to start it. Wonder what sorta role he's gonna go for now, unless he still sticks with directing or producing or advising on games

what was Kamiya current position in the company ? As I understand it was more and more business related rather than game development.

Really curious to see where he goes or if he attempts to start another studio again. He has history with a lot of developers, some who have their own studios now so there might be opportunities there.

what was Kamiya current position in the company ? As I understand it was more and more business related rather than game development.

Really curious to see where he goes or if he attempts to start another studio again. He has history with a lot of developers, some who have their own studios now so there might be opportunities there.
One of the Vice Presidents

Charles retires
Kamiya leaves Platinum
Studio Ghibli selling itself because they couldnt find a successor for Miyazaki
Sakurai is basically retired

What a month. The next few years are going to look so different with so much transitioning going on.
It's always been like that, but recently a it feels like a lot of titans are hanging it up and letting a new generation take the reigns

If Ninty buys Platinum (which i can't see them doing), they'd probably be an assisting developer for Nintendo while developing their own games, kinda like Monolith Soft.

I really doubt Kamiya goes to Ninty though, his track record hasn't been the best lately, they wouldn't just hire him and let him direct a new game - which is what he likely wants to do

Yeah, was shocked to see this before, Project GG sounded really cool and Kamiya sounded pumped to make it when it was announced..

Ah yeah Mikami left Tango recently too, time for another studio. Call it "Mocpac" or "KapcoM".

He seems to have had a few rough years. I wonder what this means for Bayonetta?
You can say a lot about Platinum, but they’re really good at nurturing talent. It’s very much not a “the auteur in total control” situation.

Every Bayo game after 1 has been directed by someone other than Kamiya, and Astral Chain also by someone completely different.

I honestly think in terms of the studio’s output, it’s really just new Kamiya IPs that will stop coming. I think we’ll still get sequels to stuff like Bayo, Astral Chain and NieR.

That said, this news is still crazy and sad to me. He definitely was a key member of the studio and his absence will be felt.

A real shame to see. I wonder if it's because Project GG was (predictably) canned or if there's something greater in play that led to this. I'm fully expecting an announcement that he got picked up by Netease or some shit sigh

I'm sure Platinum will be fine even still, but I'm gonna need an Astral Chain 2 announcement for reassurance. And also because I just really want Astral Chain 2.

Must not be easy to split, amicably or not, with people you have worked with for literally decades, wish the best for everyone involved.

As a huge fan of Kamiya's output, i'm glad he is not retiring. My guess is he is going to end up wherever Mikami is.

I think what next we hear about Platinum or Kamiya will tell us a lot about what might have caused this.

If Platinum announces it's been acquired by Nintendo/Sony/Microsoft/Tencent/Embracer (lol)/etc then odds are the decision to leave was due to Platinum losing it's "indepdencence"

If Platinum doubles down on self published gaas titles route, then Kamiya probably left cause that's not the kinds of games he wants to make.

If Kamiya announces that he's forming a new studio funded by netease and/or with Mikami, it's probably about the money or wanting more creative control/to work with his boy.

If Ninty buys Platinum (which i can't see them doing), they'd probably be an assisting developer for Nintendo while developing their own games, kinda like Monolith Soft.

I really doubt Kamiya goes to Ninty though, his track record hasn't been the best lately, they wouldn't just hire him and let him direct a new game - which is what he likely wants to do
it would probably be the best place to go for them since Nintendo has an interest in still making Bayonetta, and Nintendo now owns Astral Chain.

the nickname "P*" just makes me think of my time with C++

I spent years writing scientific code in C and I still don't think I ever really understood pointers. Spent a longer amount of time than I'd care to admit Just trying *s and &s until it does what I want without segfault and returns a proper number answer

I spent years writing scientific code in C and I still don't think I ever really understood pointers. Spent a longer amount of time than I'd care to admit Just trying *s and &s until it does what I want without segfault and returns a proper number answer
you're so real for this one

all my computer science degree gave me was a rudimentary understanding of pointers and a fear of duck typing

Really worried about what this means for Platinum and Bayonetta.
I feel like there's even more moving parts required to make Bayo 4 now that Kamiya won't be at Platinum, I hope Nintendo can make it work.
Also hoping Kamiya gets to finish the superhero trilogy.
Trying to imagine what could be going on or what's about to happen to Platinum gives me some serious anxiety so I'll just choose to remain positive, will continue to support Kamiya and Platinum in the future.

What a shame :(

I see others post about a new collab with Mikami, that would be cool.

Really worried about what this means for Platinum and Bayonetta.
I feel like there's even more moving parts required to make Bayo 4 now that Kamiya won't be at Platinum, I hope Nintendo can make it work.
Also hoping Kamiya gets to finish the superhero trilogy.
Trying to imagine what could be going on or what's about to happen to Platinum gives me some serious anxiety so I'll just choose to remain positive, will continue to support Kamiya and Platinum in the future.
Kamiya wasn't directing either bayo 2 or 3 (even if he was still involved) so it's not like the franchise can't exist without him. It's more of a question whether or not it's something Nintendo and PG wants to keep pursuing.

The former might rather create new IPs they fully own like Astral Chain while the latter is supposedly gonna focus on live service experiences (which might also explain why Kamiya decided to leave among other things).

Overall I doubt this puts a stop to PG collaboration with Nintendo since that kind of contract work must still be very important to the studio bottom line as their own self published works could never sustain them right now.

I wonder when/if we're going to hear about the fate of Project G.G.

It's probably as simple as the game being cancelled but imagine having to wait another ~5 years for the next Kamiya-directed game. The most cursed timeline.

I wonder when/if we're going to hear about the fate of Project G.G.

It's probably as simple as the game being cancelled but imagine having to wait another ~5 years for the next Kamiya-directed game. The most cursed timeline.
Outside of Sol Cresta, his last directed game was Wonderful 101 a decade ago.

Drive by comments, especially when using terrorist attacks in a joking matter, are not acceptable. For this and a history of similar behavior, you are being banned for two weeks. -Josh5890, Irene, PixelKnight
this is my 9/11

You can say a lot about Platinum, but they’re really good at nurturing talent. It’s very much not a “the auteur in total control” situation.
So I'm definitely being a bit too semantical with this, but honestly I find saying that Platinum is good at nurturing talent, let alone really good at it, a bit of a weird foregone conclusion. I have no doubt that they've nurtured the talent of their employees (which is just how jobs work in general, the more you do something the better you get at it), but usually when you say a company is good at "nurturing talent" it's because they're distinguished at it, they've produced consistent results and the talent they've honed has produced consistent results. And that ... hasn't really panned through. Platinum putting a different director on each game in the Bayonetta trilogy isn't really an example of "nurturing talent" by itself, it would be an example if that talent ended up going on to make other things people love, but we haven't seen that pan through yet. Bayonetta 2's director was already an industry veteran who worked at Capcom from 1998-2006, he directed Star Fox Zero after Bayonetta 2, and then left the company to work as a game designer for Street Fighter. That's not really an example of "nurturing talent", because he was already prolific in the industry at Capcom, and didn't even produce consistent results under Platinum.

We'll have to see how Yusuke Miyata fairs. Him directing Bayonetta 3 is much more significant because he didn't seem to have many credits in games beforehand, so this is a better example of nurturing talent, though honestly whether or not his output will remain consistent remains to be seen. The fact that Takashi Taura is one of the only big up-and-coming names in Platinum even in their 15 year history doesn't speak to an amazing track record of nurturing talent, even if obviously as video game fans we'll never have the full context.

Still not sure what to make of this. Kamiya's pretty much been the face of Platinum for me for its entire existence, so for him to not be involved any longer with it just feels... bizarre. I certainly have missed getting more games directed by him, though, so I hope that wherever he ends up, he gets more freedom to do that. It's just unfortunate that Project GG may be a casualty of this.

someone ask what will happened to Project GG, Kamiya say go ask PG

プラチナのことはプラチナに聞いてください…RP
@yimro83
こんにちは。新しい道での成功を祈っています。 GGプロジェクトはどうなるのでしょうか?

Kind of baffled why people think Bayonetta will still be a thing going forward. That series was clearly Kamiya's baby even if he didn't direct 2 or 3. With him gone, I'm not sure why Nintendo would care to continue licensing it from Sega when they fully own the more commercially successful Astral Chain. It's not like Sega cares about Bayo.

Kind of baffled why people think Bayonetta will still be a thing going forward. That series was clearly Kamiya's baby even if he didn't direct 2 or 3. With him gone, I'm not sure why Nintendo would care to continue licensing it from Sega when they fully own the more commercially successful Astral Chain. It's not like Sega cares about Bayo.

Maybe other people at the studio are passionate about Bayonetta as well. Afterall, Origins was mostly made by the younger staff at Platinum.

Back
Top Bottom