• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Xbox HI-FI RUSH announced - Tango Softworks / Xbox Game Studios | Cel-Shaded Rhythm Action Game - OUT TONIGHT!

Can someone spoiler tag and let me know how many chapters and how long this is? Wonder if I should finish it tomorrow on Sunday or slowly tackle while playing more GoldenEye.

Can someone spoiler tag and let me know how many chapters and how long this is? Wonder if I should finish it tomorrow on Sunday or slowly tackle while playing more GoldenEye.
For what I read, there are 10 chapters + the Finale.

It took me about 11 hours to complete the main story

I’ve had a dumb grin the entire time I’ve been playing this so far.

I’m currently on Track 4, and it’s just been mind blowingly fun the entire time.

I also love the little Bill and Ted reference when you pick up a special item and Chai says “Excellent!!” accompanied with a quick cheesey air guitar like riff.

I’ve also played music most my life, so I’ve been having a ball just watching the environment act to the music as well as losing myself into the stream of combat and just…FEELING it. It’s so dang charming in just about every way.

I've discovered that I may be surprisingly decent at rhythm games, but still undoubtedly suck at character action games

Getting fairly consistent S scores on Timing and C scores on Score so far

i cant seem to get any better than 50% on the timing. A fight will feel like it’s going well and I’m getting the timing right, and then I see that 50% and get discouraged. Hopefully I’ll get better as the game goes on. I just finished the second level and fought Rekka, so there’s plenty of game left.

i cant seem to get any better than 50% on the timing. A fight will feel like it’s going well and I’m getting the timing right, and then I see that 50% and get discouraged. Hopefully I’ll get better as the game goes on. I just finished the second level and fought Rekka, so there’s plenty of game left.
I had the same problem. I got a bit better in the second half of the game, I guess because the songs had a more obvious beat, but also because I got a bit more the feel to it. I get now 60-80%, which is not great, but at least feels like I’ve improved. I think what helps is just to play the story and maybe visit the training room once in a while, you will get better with the time. Otherwise for me it‘s a game that you can only play for a certain amount of time, when I was tired I was always off beat.

You're in for a treat! Also don't worry, you will improve and won't even notice it soon.

Straight-up might be my game of the year. I think I'm about halfway through, and it's beautiful. The humor isn't really for me: most jokes land as "eh, pretty good", but some are a bit too cringey, but the gameplay and aesthetics are a BLAST. Hope there are as many unlockables as your usual character action game

On chapter 7 and if Hi Fi Rush can maintain 80% of its quality through to the end I think it makes my top 5 of 2023

I beat this game the other night. It was rad. I’m also glad to finally have a new Xbox game to love - it’s been a while.

In any year without sequels to 3 of my top 10 games releasing, I'd probably have already crowned this an early GoTY. Phenomenal game so far (on chapter 7)

Gameplay, aesthetics, and story/characters are all hitting pretty hard for me so far and I've heard great things about later chapters as well. There's a fair chance it's going to be the first personal 10/10 game I've played since...well it's been a bit. Hades maybe?

Straight-up might be my game of the year. I think I'm about halfway through, and it's beautiful. The humor isn't really for me: most jokes land as "eh, pretty good", but some are a bit too cringey, but the gameplay and aesthetics are a BLAST. Hope there are as many unlockables as your usual character action game
Felt like this is a bit too negative for a game that makes me think "Man, I LOVE video games" again, so just gonna share some of my favorite bits spoiler free:
Loved the screensaver and the Korsika door gag, pretty much golden-age Futurama jokes.
The parry is the best its been in any game for me. I usually ignore the machanic unless EVERYTHING hinges on it and prefer to dodge, but here I feel like parrying is actually more fun. The only downside is that when enemies become enraged, I'm not sure there's a way to predict their parry. At least I'm not hearing the tell? Or maybe it's the same as their "super attack" parry (so for Samurai it would be what I think is a haiku parry all the time)

Only just started last night, but absolutely gobsmacked by the translation of cartoon visuals to the game. The animation in particular... it's incredible. The game oozes high production values from every pore.

Finished a few mins ago! Best action game since Bayonetta 1 and DMC3. Pure bliss! :)
I beat this game the other night. It was rad. I’m also glad to finally have a new Xbox game to love - it’s been a while.

I also beat it last night.

It seriously might be my favorite action game in this style (DMC/Platinum) since Viewitiful Joe. Just an absolutely wonderful, charming, addictive experience that constantly reminds you of why you love gaming so much. They nailed everything they set out to do.

And that final boss wasn't playing around. The third phase on hard took mutllpie tries for me to get down the timing.

Just yesterday I saw it sitting at 90. I guess it got pushed down since then.

That's a shame. It's absolutely deserves a 90+. Hope it can get pushed back up.

Baby Driver, but it's an action game is just a really good premise. I don't understand the beat stuff worth a damn, but the viewer thing has been helpful and it's still super fun.

I finished this earlier this week and had a grand time. Arguably the best gaming experience since BotW for me.

I just finished track 4 and I think I’m starting to feel a little bit better about this game. I was even able to score a B on timing in one fight! The game is so electric and fast paced and fun that I don’t even really care if I’m playing badly.

I try to ignore the rankings, if I focus on them I get bummed whenever I don't manage to even get an A. I guess I just don't like being reminded of being bad, I'd rather just smash things in blissful, off-beat ignorance.

I loved it but the humour was a bit too MCU-like for me, I guess. Still, probably the best game I've played this year so far -and better than anything I played last year-.

Honestly one of the best games I've played in years. They really, truly knocked it out of the park here and even the very few minor quibbles I have with it aren't enough to change that.

Also:
Everything from "Invaders Must Die," onwards is genuinely one of the best strings of levels and moments I've seen in a game. The aforementioned usage of that song, the song during Chapter 11 having its lyrics fade in and out during combat, the gag where you play as CNMN complete with tutorial, the QTE sequence, the playable 808 part, and then the final boss... just so, so, so incredibly amazing.

I try to ignore the rankings, if I focus on them I get bummed whenever I don't manage to even get an A. I guess I just don't like being reminded of being bad, I'd rather just smash things in blissful, off-beat ignorance.
this is really my biggest problem with the game. I kinda wish there was a way to turn off the rankings. Cause I'll be having fun and feeling like I'm doing kinda ok, then I see I got a D for timing or something and it makes me feel bad.

I'm not bad at rhythm games, I swear! I guess it's character action games that I'm just not that good at.

Just beat the museum. Still high on this game. Really really good, what a fun surprise. The writing is also a surprise highlight, some of the jokes kinda hit hard and I care about this crew of characters

Last edited:
Yeah overall just a phenomenal game, a ton of fun from top to bottom. Most of my minor gripes with it come down to using XCloud when I probably should've just got it natively

But still, an absolute blast that's just bursting with charm all the way through

Finished. Great game. Like many albums it is frontloaded and backloaded! Charismatic cast of characters, fun combat but the middle can get a bit samey and I'd like Hi Fi Rush 2 to have a more diverse soundtrack.

Chai simps win again babieeeeeeeeeee! ...what do you mean Korsica is more popular? 😢

i'm surprised they didn't reveal a physical version alongside this, this feels like a natural thing to pair with it. especially since they aren't tied to a shadowdrop anymore.

Back
Top Bottom