• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Xbox HI-FI RUSH announced - Tango Softworks / Xbox Game Studios | Cel-Shaded Rhythm Action Game - OUT TONIGHT!

Just played through the first level/world. Game is bigger than I thought. It took me 1h30min. Though I also was a bit slow and exploring stuff. After that you get some info from which you can more or less judge how long the rest of the game would be I think. It seems to be an at least 8 hours game (I could be off, but how the game itself sets up and how long the first world was, I totally see that), when I continue with my playstyle. If you want to have perfect score each time, you can probably invest much more time. I like it a lot so far. Maybe a bit to much talking for some, but it dosen‘t bother me. The tutorial is really well made (basically the whole first world) and the rhythm mechanic quite forgiving. The game runs quite well, visual presentation is awesome (Similar to Into the Spiderverse it‘s takes a lot of stuff from Comic Books). Cutscenes and Animations are on another level. Only problem I have so far is that I‘m sometimes searching for where I‘ve to go next. But like I said, like it a lot.

Last edited:
So far so good. The constant interruption at the first level annoyed me a bit tbh but it's a polished game and well animated. It seems like will be opening up on mechanics and combos after some progress (there's a combo store). The combat sometimes feels pretty satisfying, enemies also attack to the beat so you can also time dodges accordingly. Not sure if I liked the attack auto-lock-on though, I had some trouble when my character went towards an unexpected direction. Platforming is somewhat basic I think, but sometimes you have to time a jump or action to the beat, there's an air dodge, and sometimes new mechanics are unveiled. Overall feeling slightly positive about it, going to finish it at least 😅

I don't think I'm eligible for a free one and I'd have to do Ultimate since I don't have anything that could play it outside of XCloud (only capable PC is a Steam Deck)

Which mind you still kinda tempted but at that point might as well just buy it since a month of Ultimate is half the price anyways
You can always do the Xbox Live conversion to get it cheap!

this looks like an early to mid 2000s cartoon network tv show

I was going to reactivate my GamePass subscription for Starfield anyway, but I might do it early for this game, the buzz around it seems great.

I'm flabbergasted at how good this is.

This feels like if Nintendo took Rhythm Heaven and allowed Sega to make an action beat-em up out it.

The combat and rhythm is on point. So far lots of cool new combos and mechanics constantly being introduced up until the end of level 2. The animation is insane, and the dialogue/world is charming.

I really have nothing negative to say. I was initially worried about the protagonist movement being to slow, but they addressed that in the best of ways. It's an absolute gem of a game and I'm so happy it exists.

I just wish I didn't have to work tomorrow.

Last edited:
Wow it looks amazing !
This is the kind of game that Platinum games could have come up with at their beginnings.

This game is DOPE.

Can't believe this is my first Tango Gameworks game. I'm expecting this to be one of my favorite games of the year.

It's also on Steam! I'm probably going to get it there.

I've always been on Apple and am super intimidated by PC gaming. Microsoft buying all these studios will probably force my hand to get a Series S and just be a gamepass machine. I can't live without my Tango and Arkane games.

Watching someone playing this on stream, and holy fuck does it look good! Between this and Splatoon, the Dreamcast may be dead, but it sure lives in the hearts of developers. Wish I had a way to play this.

For a 9yo (as of today!) who hasn't played a rhythm game, would we say Easy mode might be best?

Very much so. In line with Glitch Techs, The Hollow, Last Kids On Earth (which had a TERRIBLE looking game come out).
A very happy birthday to the kiddo!

For a 9yo (as of today!) who hasn't played a rhythm game, would we say Easy mode might be best?
I would say you could try Normal Mode. The tutorial is very well made and easy to understand. Hitting the beat is quite forgiving (you will always land a hit, just getting more points if you are in rhythm). The platforming dosen’t seem to difficult. You have a lot of health and get it back when you die. Also the checkpoints are very generous, I died during the first boss fight and I didn‘t even had to repeat the whole fight, just the last phase (with full live again). I don‘t know many 9yo but the game feels super kids friendly so far.
Edit: Oh and congrats to the kid!

Last edited:
Aw man. This looks great. I'll be away from my Xbox this weekend but I'll get to it as soon as I'm back.

Very much so. In line with Glitch Techs, The Hollow, Last Kids On Earth (which had a TERRIBLE looking game come out).
Last Kids On Earth has ugly animation imho, my eldest loved it though

GlitchTechs definitely

This game is absolutely fantastic! I only finished the first level but I can already feel that we have something really special here.

Ok this game looks sick
Also I'm glad that Xbox, bethesda and Tango gameworks are not stuck with doing games with realistic graphics. A more diverse lineup makes the whole platform more attractive IMO

I was going to say this game was just okay because the rhythm and platforming felt super off, until I realized at the end of my 90-minute play session through world 1 last night that, unusually, my LG didn't switch to Game Mode automatically when switching to my Xbox input. Sooooo I was dealing with some input lag in the type of game that arguably suffers the most from it, haha. Animation is indeed stunning and combat seems to be opening up in fun ways. Stoked to dive back in!

The game is quite the looker but it isn't grabbing me. Is the first hour indicative of the game overall it is this all that I am in for?

also I really dislike the black keys and for some reason I find the music in this starting area to be majestically bland.

Hi-Fi Rush is certainly stylish and looks like it's halfway between a Netflix anime and Disney animated film, but I'm not into rhythm games so it felt rather tedious to play. I stopped after beating the first boss (QA) and buying some upgrades and I might give it another level to get a more complete experience, but I doubt I'll go further.

Hi-Fi Rush is certainly stylish and looks like it's halfway between a Netflix anime and Disney animated film, but I'm not into rhythm games so it felt rather tedious to play. I stopped after beating the first boss (QA) and buying some upgrades and I might give it another level to get a more complete experience, but I doubt I'll go further.
....why are you playing a rhythm game if you don't like rhythm games?

....why are you playing a rhythm game if you don't like rhythm games?
I’m sure the combination of hype from the announcement and “free with game pass” is enough to get a lot of folks to at least try the game, even if they may not like rhythm games generally.

OK, this game is an absolute blast (just beat the first boss). Kinda love everything about it so far. And XCloud is really coming through here, one of the games where you'd expect latency to matter the most and I'm still hitting 90% on Just Timing so far. Great proof of how good the tech's gotten there

Made it to track 6 tonight.

What an absolute delight of a game. Just a constant remainder of why gaming is so awesome. The game just breaths confidence at every single corner, and pulls it off so well. It's funny, addictive, and hella fun.

I had major Viewitiful Joe flashbacks this last session, in the best possible way. Just sitting their with a goofy ass smile on my face, playing something that has an such a strong spin on a beloved genre that you start to wonder again what else is possible in the gaming space.

I honestly can't even think of another Xbox Series exclusive I have legit enjoyed, so this might not be saying much, but Hi-Fi Rush is easily at the top for the console (imo).

Played through the first level last night. The presentation is fantastic and I was definitely bopping along to the beat (which helped me keep time too).

The combination of having to try to keep time and do all the usual character action stuff is a bit overwhelming, so I'm not going above Normal, but I managed to get an A for the first level, so it seems reasonably forgiving.

Didn’t think there was gonna be anything notable this month outside of Dead Space especially something this fun, what a nice surprise.

Well I played some more tonight and I must say

This is a video game ass video game and I am having fun

I played through the game and maybe it is still because of the hype but I absolutely love it.
It has some annoying stuff here and there gameplay wise that I didn't like, but most of the time I was ok with it because it isn't really that much of an issue in the overall experience.
  • I don't really like time based platforming
  • I hate Quick Time Events in any game because I'm always super bad at them (a me problem)
  • It is sometimes really confusing where you have to go next (maybe also a me problem)
  • Sometimes there is too much going on during fights to be even able to react to everything, so I just did button smashing and it worked out better than it probably should. I got almost always an A (at normal)
  • The game is a bit overwhelming, especially at the end, there is almost no calm moment.
  • The story is kinda obvious early on.

Still I like the rhythm mechanics and how well they introduce them, so I can overlook other shortcomings.

What I really like how super self aware the whole game is and that they know exactly what they are doing with their characters. It is very satisfying how the story comes up with an explanation for everything, they didn't took only the visual aspect out of comic books.
The soundtrack is very cool and turns out to be a masterpiece in the second half of the game. The visual experience is amazing, especially in the Boss-Fights. The transition from one level to another is seamless (or at least explained in some way) and the pacing was always on point; the immersion never really broke for me.

I don't think that I've ever played a game that was able to achieve at being a videogame so well and I mean that in a positive way.

I can't wait what this studio does next.

Oh and don't skip the credits, there is a cool little song at the end of it.

Last edited:
The CAPCOM DNA from this team is strongly apparent in this one! I absolutely love it still so far. Transitions between gameplay and cutscenes are so slick.

Honestly pretty surprised they went for a 29.99 MSRP and not 39.99… I’m used to Nintendo I guess lol. This easily would have been $60 on Switch.

I know that Ghostwire Tokyo got middling reception but I’ve been hyped to finally play it when it comes to GamePass, and this just increased that.

I played through the game and maybe it is still because of the hype but I absolutely love it.
It has some annoying stuff here and there gameplay wise that I didn't like, but most of the time I was ok with it because it isn't really that much of an issue in the overall experience.
  • I don't really like time based platforming
  • I hate Quick Time Events in any game because I'm always super bad at them (a me problem)
  • It is sometimes really confusing where you have to go next (maybe also a me problem)
  • Sometimes there is too much going on during fights to be even able to react to everything, so I just did button smashing and it worked out better than it probably should. I got almost always an A (at normal)
  • The game is a bit overwhelming, especially at the end, there is almost no calm moment.
  • The story is kinda obvious early on.

Still I like the rhythm mechanics and how well they introduce them, so I can overlook other shortcomings.

What I really like how super self aware the whole game is and that they know exactly what they are doing with their characters. It is very satisfying how the story comes up with an explanation for everything, they didn't took only the visual aspect out of comic books.
The soundtrack is very cool and turns out to be a masterpiece in the second half of the game. The visual experience is amazing, especially in the Boss-Fights. The transition from one level to another is seamless (or at least explained in some way) and the pacing was always on point; the immersion never really broke for me.

I don't think that I've ever played a game that was able to achieve at being a videogame so well and I mean that in a positive way.

I can't wait what this studio does next.

Oh and don't skip the credits, there is a cool little song at the end of it.
I don't mind how the QTEs are implemented in this game, they help you train yourself to stay on the beat

The game is quite the looker but it isn't grabbing me. Is the first hour indicative of the game overall it is this all that I am in for?

also I really dislike the black keys and for some reason I find the music in this starting area to be majestically bland.

Actually I found somewhat funny people praising the first level because it’s a somewhat simple tutorial and story introduction level

It gets better imo! Over time the game increases in complexity and decreases in interruptions. There’s some abilities and enemy types that are introduced in the next levels. It still keeps the same gameplay loop though, some platforming sections followed by enclosed arena battles, but with more mechanics

Last edited:
I’m still in the tutorial level, but I’m finding that I’m having a really hard time fighting to the beat. And not to toot my own horn, but I am no slouch when it comes to rhythm games. It just feels like I’m basically guessing when I should start attacking, and when to press the button afterwords to continue the combo. Even turning on the rhythm gauge for a visual cue doesn’t seem to be helping. It doesn’t feel awesome. Hopefully it’s something I’ll get better at over time.

Otherwise, the game is blowing me away. Visually, it doesn’t even look like a video game. It feels like I’m playing a cartoon. And obviously the music is great.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom