• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Rumour Grand Theft Auto 6 alpha gameplay has leaked online. Yes, you're reading that correctly. (2023 Edit: Potential new leak!)

GTA only exists to push online and sell shark cards, you need as big a playerbase as possible for that. The new consoles are facing an unending parts shortage (they've been out almost 2 years with no signs of letting up) and we could potentially wind up in a recession that will further deplete people's ability to buy new hardware. It makes sense for Sony and Microsoft to push for new gen only games that will make a case for their machines but for 3rd party stuff without any incentive from the platform holders? Cast as wide of a net as you can.
But the game isn't coming out tomorrow, it's coming out in 2025, late 2024 at the earliest.

We're looking at 60+ million PS5 consoles and Series X|S consoles sold at that point. The entire active PS4/XO playerbase will be on the new consoles by then. Over 90% of new game console sales will be on the new consoles at that point. New PS5 games like GT7 and Horizon are already selling at a 2:1 ratio on PS5 over PS4, despite the fact the PS4 install base is like 7 times larger.

To hamstring this game, which will last into the mid 2030s, because there are 1-2 million sales they could squeak out on the older consoles is absolutely absurd, especially when those people would be highly likely to get a new console anyway just to play the game.

All footage has been wiped clean but not totally gone lmao.

Can't remember the last the gaming world had a massive leak like this. And this is certainly the biggest blunder Rockster/Take-Two has ever done lmao.

I'm seeing @NateDrake and other leakers condemning this as "heinous". Legitimate question, how can leakers who spoil surprise announcements take such a stand against assets leaked from a game that we already knew was in the works? How is one OK, the other "downright shameful"?
Weren't these materials obtained via hacking? Whatever you might think of leak culture, this is still quite a bit more malicious

I'm seeing @NateDrake and other leakers condemning this as "heinous". Legitimate question, how can leakers who spoil surprise announcements take such a stand against assets leaked from a game that we already knew was in the works? How is one OK, the other "downright shameful"?
because this shit is insanely damaging while saying "nintendo will re-release metroid prime" means pretty much nothing to them

One is spoiler, which always occur in media for various reasons. Usually someone spots something, etc, etc. Many happen innocently, others not so much by someone breaking an NDA or whatever.

This is akin to stealing, like the Nintendo giga leak which I also condemn, because they literally hacked into the system to steal information and files.

Don’t be daft. The “leaker” in this case hacked the company and is trying to obtain a ransom in exchange for not releasing the most vital data (while also selling GTA V’s source code to the highest bidder). The tweet you’re quoting here says that.

What has happened at Rockstar in regard to GTA VI leaking is heinous. Selling the stolen assets & source code is downright shameful.

Last edited:
It's just people who want the death of cross gen and have to accept we have at least another 18 months of it.
And here I am reminiscing about the differences between the various GTA2 releases we experienced as children. 😄

I too think they're playing a funny game of deflective semantics, though the hack is certainly outright malicious in its handling when associated cash is involved.

However, the soft financial reward of performative leaking for associated ad revenue and clicks isn't absent from financial gain and manipulation either.

Same water, different depths I'd wager. All my opinion as someone who sees how much those YouTube and Patreon accounts seem to bring in!

Last edited:
Yeah, I need this game in my life. There hasn't been a great big-budget open-world game since Tsushima. There's nothing grabbing me in that specific area on the horizon (haha, Forbidden West wasn't good and it kills me). Let's get it.

And here I am reminiscing about the differences between the various GTA2 releases we experienced as children. 😄

I too think they're playing a funny game of deflective semantics, though the hack is certainly outright malicious in its handling when associated cash is involved.

However, the soft financial reward of performative leaking for associated ad revenue and clicks isn't absent from financial gain and manipulation either.

Same water, different depths I'd wager. All my opinion as someone who sees how much those YouTube and Patreon accounts seem to bring in!
Thank you, I'm not losing my mind then

It's a poorly framed question. What the GTA 6 leaker did was almost definitely illegal.

EDIT: I saw that he's putting up a ransom, I think that's definitely illegal.

Last edited:
Ah yes, what Nate and them do is definitely almost like checks notes gaining access to a slack channel, stealing assets and code and then blackmailing the developer.

What a ridiculous and nonsensical thing to even insinuate.

I never expected it not to be more of the same except graphics, that just like other GTA games wouldn't be the absolute best in their gens.

Now, they are selling a game to PS5 and Xbox Series X that is based on PS3 hardware or 2006. They absolutely can do the same thing again. Ans if they aim for GTA V(aka selling 100m+ again) there's absoluetly no way they'd do that without PS4 and Xbox One owners.
There's already 40 million PS5s and XBSs out there. By the time this game releases that could well be 100m. More importantly, the kind of people who will be spending $70-$100 on release to buy the game (and then spend online) are the kind of players who will have moved either already, or by then.

Total install base doesn't matter as much as active purchasers of full price releases. Will those customers really be on PS4 / XB1 in late 2024?

So the focus should be on making an incredible product that creates the buzz that GTA V did all those years ago. Is a PS4-level game going to create that buzz? Maybe, but it'll have a tougher job than a next-gen exclusive game.

This whole ordeal has weirdly helped me manage my own petulance about games like BOTW2 taking 'so long' to release: the insane programming that goes into AAA games is something i've never really seen behind the curtain on before, and my appreciation for the volume of work that gets done has been sorely lacking.

Ah yes, what Nate and them do is definitely almost like checks notes gaining access to a slack channel, stealing assets and code and then blackmailing the developer.

What a ridiculous and nonsensical thing to even insinuate.
I mean, it's only cutting out the middleman. This hacker has access to the slack channel and is putting this information out into the wild. A normal leaker has access to someone that has access to the slack channel that gives them the information instead of just putting it out themselves.

For example, how did various leakers see Metroid Prime HD in action? The heads of Nintendo and Retro didn't come over to their house and give them a private screening of the game and say "Okay make sure you tell them this is coming out, but nothing else okay". They get their information from people that are willing to illegally share it. Jez Corden from WindowsCentral has claimed multiple times that he has seen footage from Avowed, an Xbox game likely not releasing until 2024. That footage wasn't just handed to him by Microsoft only for him to talk about on his podcast for 2 minutes. He got it from someone willing to illegally obtain the footage and send it to him.

One is obviously way worse than the other, especially when source code and money are involved, but being one of these normal everyday leakers isn't exactly a squeaky clean position to be in either.

One is obviously way worse than the other, especially when source code and money are involved, but being one of these normal everyday leakers isn't exactly a squeaky clean position to be in either.
I don't know, dude. Even the best leakers are only spreading about what's effectively rumor mill content. "My sources told me (x)". "My sources have seen (z)". It's more likely to be glorified games of telephone, based on a few inside people who have loose lips and know they can't be traced easily.

And that's not new. In fact, it's been a facet of video game journalism ever since the likes of Quartermann were passing off "what he heard around the industry", back in the pages of EGM in the 90s. It served the same function then as it does today: get people talking, get people speculating and (ideally) get people to follow along/subscribe. It's one of those things that I'm sure various aspects of the gaming sphere have long since tolerated as a part of the business, but don't have to acknowledge because they and their plans are not beholden to rumors and speculation.

Compare that to what happened here with GTA6, and it's really no contest what's worse and much more harmful to the developer, specifically, and the industry, as a whole.

I don't know, dude. Even the best leakers are only spreading about what's effectively rumor mill content. "My sources told me (x)". "My sources have seen (z)". It's more likely to be glorified games of telephone, based on a few inside people who have loose lips and know they can't be traced easily.

And that's not new. In fact, it's been a facet of video game journalism ever since the likes of Quartermann were passing off "what he heard around the industry", back in the pages of EGM in the 90s. It served the same function then as it does today: get people talking, get people speculating and (ideally) get people to follow along/subscribe. It's one of those things that I'm sure various aspects of the gaming sphere have long since tolerated as a part of the business, but don't have to acknowledge because they and their plans are not beholden to rumors and speculation.

Compare that to what happened here with GTA6, and it's really no contest what's worse and much more harmful to the developer, specifically, and the industry, as a whole.
I was mostly referring to instances like the Metroid and Avowed stuff, where there are claims that they have seen footage of the games. With that said, unless a leaker's source is someone who goes on a daily run passing by a game studio and happens to get a peak from the windows of something they're working on, there is going to be questionable legality somewhere down the line.

I 110% agree that the GTA6 stuff is a million times worse than what people like NateDrake and Jeff Grubb do, and I'm not saying that they are in the wrong. The people breaking NDAs and company policies to give them this information are the ones that are in the wrong.

I was mostly referring to instances like the Metroid and Avowed stuff, where there are claims that they have seen footage of the games. With that said, unless a leaker's source is someone who goes on a daily run passing by a game studio and happens to get a peak from the windows of something they're working on, there is going to be questionable legality somewhere down the line.

I 110% agree that the GTA6 stuff is a million times worse than what people like NateDrake and Jeff Grubb do, and I'm not saying that they are in the wrong. The people breaking NDAs and company policies to give them this information are the ones that are in the wrong.
You can also argue that such leaks (I mean insiders talking about Metroid Prime remake) could be passively part of the premarketing for the game. Keeping the fans engaged and talking/expecting certain products.

Last edited:
Nuance. While its true that many leakers definitely try to get some benefit out of leaking stuff (clout, patreons, subscribers...), were not living in a binary world.
Small leaks dont impact companies in a big way, can even be benefitial for the marketing,
excite the scene and keeps it active (also something that can benefit developers), are usually in agrey area or even legally obtained. It takes only small amounts of messaging and controll out of the publishers hand.

This is 100% illegally obtained, since its not just a handfull clips and screenshots but the huge fucking sourcecode it has a lot more implications. it will for shure increase the work amount they have to do a lot, since now there is a high chance that they need to rework many aspects to secure the code better.
Now some would argue: software should always be secure.
Sure, but games are a different thing then general comercial software. It has different timelines, revision structure, etc.
Many people will get a problem and maybe lose their job. With smaller leaks that usually does not happen.

The core questionis: do i care if people (normal worker) get caught in the colateral of a leak or not.
If i dont care, shure, thre is no difference. If i do, then there is a huge one.

From an end user perspective:
Or: do i care for a cheat free environment. If not, then this is fine, if i care, then game code going public is really bad, it makes the game an open book and cheat software developers are having a field day.
On the other hand, if you are deep into moding, then this could also be a good thing.
So depending on your usecase it can be good or bad.

One is basically theft of actual code, the other is harmless hinting at future releases, which is carefully and respectfully handled. It's not even in the same ballpark.

Jokes aside, they really need a mission in gta6 where you have to kick the balls of a hacker who stolle little Jimis account in a launcher.

Not only that. After finishing the mission, you can always go back to kick his balls any time during the game.

It would be cool if rockstar can take a laugh at all of this…

I mean, it's only cutting out the middleman. This hacker has access to the slack channel and is putting this information out into the wild. A normal leaker has access to someone that has access to the slack channel that gives them the information instead of just putting it out themselves.

For example, how did various leakers see Metroid Prime HD in action? The heads of Nintendo and Retro didn't come over to their house and give them a private screening of the game and say "Okay make sure you tell them this is coming out, but nothing else okay". They get their information from people that are willing to illegally share it. Jez Corden from WindowsCentral has claimed multiple times that he has seen footage from Avowed, an Xbox game likely not releasing until 2024. That footage wasn't just handed to him by Microsoft only for him to talk about on his podcast for 2 minutes. He got it from someone willing to illegally obtain the footage and send it to him.

This feels like the difference between photographers taking spy shots of automotive mules and someone stealing a prototype.

my take on the "Nintendo career leakers are literally the same" discourse

wreck-it-ralph-zangief.gif

You can also argue that such leaks (I mean insiders talking about Metroid Prime remake) could be passively part of the premarketing for the game. Keeping the fans engaged and talking/expecting certain products.
It’s not though, it only creates unrealistic expectations when announcements do occur. I honestly believe that the “leaks” surrounding the last Direct actually hurt it. They weren’t ready to show a game that leakers seemingly decided was ready, leading to people coming out of it disappointed no matter what was actually shown.

This feels like the difference between photographers taking spy shots of automotive mules and someone stealing a prototype.
It’s more like one stealing the prototype, and the other is actively working on it while giving information about it out to the media.

I honestly believe that the “leaks” surrounding the last Direct actually hurt it. They weren’t ready to show a game that leakers seemingly decided was ready, leading to people coming out of it disappointed no matter what was actually shown.
this is definitely true. I can imagine Nintendo employees shitting their pants as they watched expectations veer completely away from reality

It’s more like one stealing the prototype, and the other is actively working on it while giving information about it out to the media.
Fair. Can we agree that there's still a pretty stark difference in severity between the two?

oh yeah, leaks like metroid prime can work as part of marketing...but can also go horibly wrong.
Like i feel the Rabids leaks back then did help people get acustomed to the concept before it was released, so that the backlash was less extreme and people could look at the game as what it is.

Then you have leaks, where peoples expectations are through the roof...and dissapointment is almost shure.
Just think, if the Metroid Prime remake is just a slight remaster? people will probably will be pissed.
If its a full on remake, then people could be positively suprised, but yeah...

this is definitely true. I can imagine Nintendo employees shitting their pants as they watched expectations veer completely away from reality
That's leak culture 101 though, people who want to know everything always end up more disappointed then people who only pay attention when an event is announced. Look at how much people who're deep into Drake rumors talk about Nintendo's next 12-18 months over people who've not paid attention.

That's leak culture 101 though, people who want to know everything always end up more disappointed then people who only pay attention when an event is announced. Look at how much people who're deep into Drake rumors talk about Nintendo's next 12-18 months over people who've not paid attention.
I mean, im completly involved in the switch successor rumors since... before the release of the switch, even back then there was a build running with higher clocks in some factory during testing or something.
Essentially, people expected a switch pro in the second to third year,
and the dissapointment came in waves every time just a regular revision was anounced.

That... Doesn't look like the uber realistic GTA game everyone's been dreaming about. A scalable project always made sense to me.

it’s just that shot of the city? i don’t understand why that’s news

I feel like this doesn’t really show much of anything. Apparently the leak was done by the child of a rockstar employee too, so I hope he doesn‘t loose his job because his kid felt like getting some internet clout

I feel like this doesn’t really show much of anything. Apparently the leak was done by the child of a rockstar employee too, so I hope he doesn‘t loose his job because his kid felt like getting some internet clout
Rockstar employee in question is in a very high position within the company so he'll probably be fine. Still going to be a really awkward monday morning for him.

Back
Top Bottom