• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Rumour Grand Theft Auto 6 alpha gameplay has leaked online. Yes, you're reading that correctly. (2023 Edit: Potential new leak!)

Love RPS for calling this out as unnecessary and refusing to link to any of the videos
You make some excellent points, but I think this article misses the boat. It comes off as corporate damage control.

My sympathies to the developers. However, this is absolutely worthy of reporting and dismissing it otherwise seems negligent.

It really shows just how fucked the relationship between game journalist and game publishers is that there is a discussion about if outlets should report on this and/or post images from it.

I think the cat’s out of the bag when it comes to attention. Rock Paper Shotgun writing an article isn’t exactly signal-boosting it. The news is all over the internet already.
Sure, but you can't pretend to take some moral high ground "I am OUTRAGED this leaked" and then write an article on it, driving engagement to your website and also driving people towards the leaks. Just... don't write an article!

It really shows just how fucked the relationship between game journalist and game publishers is that there is a discussion about if outlets should report on this and/or post images from it.

Do you mean they work too closely together or there is widespread bad blood between Rockstar and some gaming outlets and they're trying to get back on Rockstar's good side?

The last time I saw a leak this fuckin massive was when I blew a camshaft seal on my old Subaru

lol, so this is coming to PS4 and Xbox One?

What a complete joke. I'm guessing this won't release until 2025, so that's Rockstar's big new game for the next decade coming out on 13 year old hardware.

What is seriously the point of the new consoles? No developer wants to take advantage of the actual hardware. They've turned into nothing more than machines that provide a resolution and framerate bump. Sad state of affairs in this industry.

What a complete joke. I'm guessing this won't release until 2025, so that's Rockstar's big new game for the next decade coming out on 13 year old hardware.

What is seriously the point of the new consoles? No developer wants to take advantage of the actual hardware. They've turned into nothing more than machines that provide a resolution and framerate bump. Sad state of affairs in this industry.
It could, but some of these clips being on a PS4 devkit doesn't really confirm that yet either.

growth is not sustainable

moore's law is dead and buried

Obviously you can only take so much from an alpha, but as someone who has spent tons of time in Miami and doesn't think it's a great setting for a GTA game... boy it really doesn't look like a great setting for a GTA game from what we're seeing here. And yes, the map would be representative of what it'll be at alpha.

Second is that it's almost a decade since GTA V and yet the gameplay really looks like it'll be more of the same. That's to be expected, but as someone who grew up in the 90s where every couple of years brought huge advances it's wild how stagnant game design has become. QoL improvements are the name of the game.

Everything to do with plot, acting, graphics, animation - none of that is worth commenting as of yet.

What an astonishing nightmare for Rockstar, though.

EDIT: Oh, if this is crossgen a lot of the above makes sense. What a huge mistake if it is. You're going to be selling this game for the next decade. Tying a game you'll probably still be selling in 2030 on PS6 to low powered 2013 PS4 hardware for your min spec is insane to me.

Obviously you can only take so much from an alpha, but as someone who has spent tons of time in Miami and doesn't think it's a great setting for a GTA game... boy it really doesn't look like a great setting for a GTA game from what we're seeing here. And yes, the map would be representative of what it'll be at alpha.

Second is that it's almost a decade since GTA V and yet the gameplay really looks like it'll be more of the same. That's to be expected, but as someone who grew up in the 90s where every couple of years brought huge advances it's wild how stagnant game design has become. QoL improvements are the name of the game.

Everything to do with plot, acting, graphics, animation - none of that is worth commenting as of yet.

EDIT: Oh, if this is crossgen a lot of the above makes sense. What a huge mistake if it is. You're going to be selling this game for the next decade. Tying a game you'll probably still be selling in 2030 on PS6 to low powered 2013 PS4 hardware for your min spec is insane to me.
i agree with everything you said. I see some people going nuts at the footage and im just wondering why?

Why wouldn't it confirm it? That's pretty telling if they've got all this up and running on a PS4 dev kit.
That game has been in dev for years, way before those next-gen consoles, so I guess they might have a setup where they can debug the game on a PS4, only the future will tell for sure though.

Jesus Christ that gotta be one of the biggest leaks in the industry ever. Leaking screenshots, trailers, names or etc is one thing, actually hacking into the developer and playing the alpha footage is a whole other level.
The hacker that did this is surely getting contracted by Microsoft or Google, because that was some genius stuff. They'll probably be sued in a way that makes the other sues for piracy or hacking feel ashamed tho.

Jesus Christ that gotta be one of the biggest leaks in the industry ever. Leaking screenshots, trailers, names or etc is one thing, actually hacking into the developer and playing the alpha footage is a whole other level.
The hacker that did this is surely getting contracted by Microsoft or Google, because that was some genius stuff. They'll probably be sued in a way that makes the other sues for piracy or hacking feel ashamed tho.
I think it IS the biggest leak. This is the most anticipated game of all time we're talking about here.

I'm as curious about leaks as the next person, but boy, to be a fly on the wall at Rockstar right now.

I feel sorry for the developers that will be undeservely punished for this. Imagine people are gonna loose their jobs even if they had no control over it(as it was hacking, not internal leaking). Also this will probably undersell the stuff they've been working on for years to come, as would any early build of any game, mainly this early in development.

So Cuba is in the game cause I'm pretty sure I saw some mountains last night when I was watching the vids and Florida ain't known for having mountains lol.
Oh shit if the game is in Cuba I will just hope there isn't too much xenophobia, because some anticommunist BS is guaranteed...

Police confirmed
2616.jpg

I don't think it works that way. They might find making the groundworking on PS4 easier as they already have experience with that, so they start the engine and physics work on that. The reflections on the car looks like cube maps, doesn't mean the final game won't have ray tracing. Some examples are Luigi's Mansion 3 starting development on Wii U(there weren't even Switch dev kits when it started), Super Mario Odyssey literally being developed alongside Switch prototyping, so probably prototyping and ground work were on PC or Wii U, etc.

Also, it coming in 2025 doesn't mean it will be full 2025 feeling as it probably started development around 2020 or so. And don't worry, it will be made with next gen in mind and last gen version will probably suck lol(remember some 2015 PS3 games made with PS4 in mind as an example).

Why wouldn't it confirm it? That's pretty telling if they've got all this up and running on a PS4 dev kit.
they can make the game entirely on a PS4 dev kit until it's content complete, port it to PS5 after that and rework assets and it don't come to PS4 at all.

I never expected it not to be more of the same except graphics, that just like other GTA games wouldn't be the absolute best in their gens.

Now, they are selling a game to PS5 and Xbox Series X that is based on PS3 hardware or 2006. They absolutely can do the same thing again. Ans if they aim for GTA V(aka selling 100m+ again) there's absoluetly no way they'd do that without PS4 and Xbox One owners.

IIRC this gameplay is from 2021, so this looks like a late 2023/early 2024 game at the earliest.
I don't see it coming before 2024 in any way tbh. Also don't think it started development that long ago as others believe.

Apparently the guy pished one of the employee to gain access to his slack account.

So it was more about social engineering than hacking, still impressive to fool someone from Rockstar.

GTA only exists to push online and sell shark cards, you need as big a playerbase as possible for that. The new consoles are facing an unending parts shortage (they've been out almost 2 years with no signs of letting up) and we could potentially wind up in a recession that will further deplete people's ability to buy new hardware. It makes sense for Sony and Microsoft to push for new gen only games that will make a case for their machines but for 3rd party stuff without any incentive from the platform holders? Cast as wide of a net as you can.

Oh shit if the game is in Cuba I will just hope there isn't too much xenophobia, because some anticommunist BS is guaranteed...
Would be weird to do that with the woman protag being spanish speaking and I'd assume Cuban considering the massive cuban population in Miami.

Edit: Also, if my assumption is right then you can expect anticommunist since Cubans in Florida aren't the biggest fans of it.

Last edited:

So someone bought the source code of 5. And based on this statement, this has escalated quickly

Edit: It appears it is not the leakers wallet. He is still selling the source of V at the moment. And 6 will follow if T2 or Rockstar do not respond.

Last edited:
I wouldn't be surprised either way if GTA V was on current gen only or also on last gen. It's very possible that they were just using PS4 dev kits to being work as they waited for the PS5 dev kits to arrive. But I could also see why they would want a PS4 and Xbox One version. Games are expensive and take a long time to make. The days of selling your game based on its technical achievements alone are long over. Game companies need a sizable audience to buy a game to make money. Third parties don't care if they aren't utilizing new hardware to its full potential. They want as many players as possible as soon as possible. This is especially true for games that will have reoccuring spending models. It's better to get someone invested by playing a game early while they wait to potentially upgrade to a new system later down the line.

Even if understandable, from a player's perspective, GTA 6 potentially targeting PS4 hardware is incredibly disappointing.

yikes this makes me be more conscious about security at my own workstation as well 😵

as for any comment on the gameplay, I'm glad we can play as women but we already knew that so 😵‍💫

So Cuba is in the game cause I'm pretty sure I saw some mountains last night when I was watching the vids and Florida ain't known for having mountains lol.
Maybe Puerto Rico? There was an old rumor about there being a male and female character with one starting in Puerto Rico. Could be other Caribbean islands too though.
One screenshot I saw had a hill in Florida, which is unusual enough.

a worldwide pandemic and chip shortage will do this do publishers and devs.

Maybe Puerto Rico? There was an old rumor about there being a male and female character with one starting in Puerto Rico. Could be other Caribbean islands too though.
One screenshot I saw had a hill in Florida, which is unusual enough.
True. I assumed Cuba because it's closer but PR definitely makes sense too. And yeah there was a mountain I think. I do think it'd be cool for multiple Caribbean islands.

Isn’t the code name “the Ameircas?” That suggests multiple islands/locations to me.

As for how I feel about the leaks, obviously this is very early footage but I like the look of the lady character. Hopefully this leak doesn’t set them too far back, but I’m patient enough that I wasn’t acting like the game was never coming when there was nothing to announce like some parts of the internet were.

I don't know why the idea of GTA 6 being on ps4/xboxone is so upsetting. GTA 5 was designed for the ps3/360, ps4/xboxone are a healthy spec bump over it, so gta 6 will already be utilizing a stronger hardware baseline. If all you care about is the game being incredibly ambitious you should hope for it to be exclusive to high end pcs and that it never comes to console at all. You shouldn't want the ps5 or xbox series to hold the game back in that scenario.

True. I assumed Cuba because it's closer but PR definitely makes sense too. And yeah there was a mountain I think. I do think it'd be cool for multiple Caribbean islands.
I think I might have seen the mountain you mean now, I think it's just meant to be Georgia or something. GTA forums have mapped out the coordinates shown in each video (i think?)

I think I might have seen the mountain you mean now, I think it's just meant to be Georgia or sin gameomething. GTA forums have mapped out the coordinates shown in each video (i think?)
Georgia, huh? So Appalachians? Weird. Georgian mountains are in the north iirc. It would just feel weird and be less interesting haha.

It's just people who want the death of cross gen and have to accept we have at least another 18 months of it.
This has always been a weird position for me. Who cares if someone else can play the game on their old console. Your shiny new console will give you better performance, they are getting a worse version, but not everyone can afford to buy a new console. These things are expensive and other life expense are obviously more important. Also only the platform holder should care about moving people to the next system. If the old console has a active playerbase why shouldn't a 3rd party target them?

This has always been a weird position for me. Who cares if someone else can play the game on their old console. Your shiny new console will give you better performance, they are getting a worse version, but not everyone can afford to buy a new console. These things are expensive and other life expense are obviously more important. Also only the platform holder should care about moving people to the next system. If the old console has a active playerbase why shouldn't a 3rd party target them?
You don't have to tell me that, I agree with you. I got a ps5 last month and it's been a glorified paper weight.

Back
Top Bottom