• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Rumour Grand Theft Auto 6 alpha gameplay has leaked online. Yes, you're reading that correctly. (2023 Edit: Potential new leak!)

This is wild to see. Crazy they just have the whole code and can just pull stuff up on request.

I feel really bad for Rockstar here in the sense if anything in these leaks, like say the reclining chairs in the car for example, doesn't show up in the final game they are going to be hounded on it forever.

We've never seen such a huge game leak like this before at this scale at this stage. Super crazy stuff.

This is an unoptimized alpha development build running on a GTX 1080 btw.

(writing this for the very few peoples who's going to ask why the game looks like shit)

I feel really bad for Rockstar here in the sense if anything in these leaks, like say the reclining chairs in the car for example, doesn't show up in the final game they are going to be hounded on it forever.

We've never seen such a huge game leak like this before at this scale at this stage. Super crazy stuff.
Yes this is sad, kinda ruined the hype for the trailer now that we have detailed insight about the game.

Honestly I am surprised there aren't more big leaks like this. Someone must have really missed a spot check here.

I'm rwading a lot of people saying that the source code being leaked is serious bussiness and very bad for developers, can someone explain to me why? Thx in advance

Holy shit! This must be so demoralizing for devs. Must be living hell right now.

Absolutely devastating and absolutely unnecessary....

Somebody didn’t lock their work station.

Seeing something from GTA VI is about time though.
The hacker claims they were the ones who did the Uber hack through Slack.

And from what I understand, they also did this hack through Slack as well.

If this gets taken down, I've uploaded a mirror here

Real ones will know

I shouldn't have looked through the twitter thread of those clips, didn't take long to some dumb comments that annoyed me haha.

This is really interesting to see. I'd never really thought about it but I guess it makes sense to use a lot of stuff like animations, ui, music, etc from GTA 5 whilst the game is still early in development.

Also very curious how different the game looks visually when it's revealed because it'll certainly be a big improvement from this.

There’s no way this isn’t real. And that’s amazing. We basically have the whole game here, and people are gonna take the time to pour over every detail. What an awful time to be a Rockstar developer.

this is historic
Yep. This is gonna be remembered for a loooong time.

There’s no way this isn’t real. And that’s amazing. We basically have the whole game here, and people are gonna take the time to pour over every detail. What an awful time to be a Rockstar developer.
Yeah, I can’t imagine how dispiriting this must be. You spend so much time working in secret, hoping to blow people away with the reveal, and then…this.

Love RPS for calling this out as unnecessary and refusing to link to any of the videos

this is historic
Yea, this reminds me a lot of when Half-Life 2 leaked out. I'm pretty sure that event set Valve back a year or two for various reasons.

I'm rwading a lot of people saying that the source code being leaked is serious bussiness and very bad for developers, can someone explain to me why? Thx in advance
If there's any sort of proprietary or custom code it's really bad because this is basically your business. If your game has an online component it makes it a lot easier for people to write hacks or compromise the game experience. Devs sometimes aren't good at being secure and there may be plaintext passwords to other things stuffed in the code. There may be security certificates that are used to sign the binaries. Your code may also have things like "trade secrets" or other things you want to protect like algorithms for various operations which might be the "secret sauce" some developers have. Some of that stuff may be able to be patented depending on the country. Or stuff their competitors may be very much interested in.

And that's before we even get into things like leaking out story details, disruption to the marketing strategy, the organization security implications, etc.

Leaks like this suck. Sure they're a good look behind the curtain at various things (ie. the gigaleak) for obsessive customers, but they're absolutely devastating to a company.

Last edited:
This isn't learning about game development. This is the equivalent of sneaking into someone email or personal journal.
haha what??? an alpha build of a massive video game is tantamount to a private journal? there've been some interesting points made even in this thread

This is really interesting to see. I'd never really thought about it but I guess it makes sense to use a lot of stuff like animations, ui, music, etc from GTA 5 whilst the game is still early in development.

Oof. Not a GTA person at all.

But something like this is so unheard off. That I expect some kinda of internal delay or massive work policy changes. I believe Rockstar actually let folks work from home. Well that’s gonna change a bit I feel.

Tho it is fascinating to see a alpha built for game development. Tho I really expect stupid gamers to judge the game outright since a lot don’t even know about how game dev works. It’s fascinating stuff but man, I think the devs are gonna be in a really rough spot.

haha what??? an alpha build of a massive video game is tantamount to a private journal? there've been some interesting points made even in this thread
It can be both. It is interesting but absolutely a shitty thing to leak. Thats years worth of work.

haha what??? an alpha build of a massive video game is tantamount to a private journal?
See the list I posted of why this is really fucking bad for Rockstar. This isn't like "ooo I got an advanced look at the next Marvel movie, let me spoil it for all you nerds". If I'm understanding what other people have said in here, they have the source code, art assets, and build tools.

That's as close to an invasion of privacy as you can get for an technical organization. That's why I'm using the journal analogy.

there've been some interesting points made even in this thread
That example isn't even anything new or novel though. Nintendo's early published screenshots of Super Mario World while it was in development showed elements from Super Mario 3 that were ultimately swapped out.

@Raccoon if I'm coming off as overly prickly about this, it's because as a software developer I know I would be out of a job if someone leaked the code, even an older build, of my company's software. I don't work in games, but my company markets itself on the efficacy of our product. Our source being put out into the wild means that our competitors could take a look at anything and everything they want to know about our product and either copy it for their own use or use it as a stepping stone for implementing our unreleased features into their products.

Bascially my company would be effectively dead the next morning. So yea, kinda sympthaizing pretty hard with R* right now even if I haven't really cared about their games in two decades.

@Raccoon if I'm coming off as overly prickly about this, it's because as a software developer I know I would be out of a job if someone leaked the code, even an older build, of my company's software. I don't work in games, but my company markets itself on the efficacy of our product. Our source being put out into the wild means that our competitors could take a look at anything and everything they want to know about our product and either copy it for their own use or use it as a stepping stone for implementing our unreleased features into their products.

Bascially my company would be effectively dead the next morning. So yea, kinda sympthaizing pretty hard with R* right now even if I haven't really cared about their games in two decades.
I definitely understand that, and I feel bad for the individuals affected.

This thing looks like it's still years away. Maybe they can make it to PS6 launch.

I dont really am a tech person so i dont understand the above ecomments.

What i do find amusing is that we got a 30 minutes leak and yet nothing i saw was interesting.

e1075657-df04-4794-8b82-5bb706694339_text.gif

Feel really bad for the folks at Rockstar. This is totally going to result in the game getting delayed.

wild. I am definitely interested in what a gta game would be about in this day and age. not particularly interested in seeing the pre-alpha swimming animations, tho

just heard from one of my sources that Rockstar is going to extrajudicially kill everyone who has seen the leak

we are not long for this world

Your take is right and you didn't come off as overly prickly.

I hope Rockstar takes care of their people in regards to this.

Also, people being like "Why does it look so crappy... etc etc...." What are they looking at??

This really hurts to see, I don't care if it's Rockstar. This is such a sad thing for the development team, probably feels like the day you find out Santa isn't real.

This is why I don't like malicious leakers, I hope they will get found and punished.

Wow Rockstar probably burning right now. But it is super interesting to see games in unfinished states.

Back
Top Bottom